Paragard IUD and Chin Hair changes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else currently using a paragard IUD for 6 months or more experiences increased chin hair growth and/or increased courseness of chin hair?

I never had chin hairs before the IUD and now after I've had the paragard in place for 2 years, I have much courser light and dark colored chin hair and along with it, unsightly, infected hair follicles that look like acne, mostly on the left side of my chin.

Any ideas out there? I have heard that a few dark chin hairs are normal for women my age (34 years). But this seems quite abnormal to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM

Paragard has no hormones, so I don't think it would affect things like facial hair.
#3 of 9 Old 01-23-2009, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

I've heard the paragard stimulates the release of leukocytes and prostaglandins and I wonder if that could cause a hormone imbalance.
#4 of 9 Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had increased chin hair and other hormonal imbalances with the copper IUD. I know that doesn't help you much other than to say, yes, it is possible the copper IUD is causing hormonal issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeace View Post
I've heard the paragard stimulates the release of leukocytes and prostaglandins and I wonder if that could cause a hormone imbalance.
Why yes, yes it could. That in addition to someone's reaction to the additional copper could cause the increased chin hair.
#5 of 9 Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

thank you mulvah- sometimes a little affirmation is exactly what is needed - to know that we aren't imagining symptoms.

i want to keep the paragard in for another few years as i am establishing a new long-term relationship and we would like to have a baby in 2012 (in the age of Aquarius).

i have some progesterone cream i could be using, but i am not sure of its effectiveness for my situation.

i don't have health insurance, but i am super curious what any professionals might have to say.

meanwhile, the infected hair follicles are causing scarring and just generally lowering my self-confidence.

i used to pluck the chin hairs, but instead now i use my boyfriend's electric shaver! (embarrassing)

for anyone else out there with this same problem, i have heard that cilantro is good for removing heavy metals from the body.

other than progesterone cream and cilantro, any other ideas out there? muchas muchas gracias!!!!
#6 of 9 Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
thank you mulvah- sometimes a little affirmation is exactly what is needed - to know that we aren't imagining symptoms.

other than progesterone cream and cilantro, any other ideas out there? muchas muchas gracias!!!!
You are definitely not imagining any symptoms related to the IUD.

I'm not sure about any creams, but I do know I did some research and experimented by adding zinc. It helped a bit, but it was a minor problem compared to the other issues I had, so I didn't constantly track my progress.

Good luck.
#7 of 9 Old 03-02-2009, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone - I removed my IUD all by myself! I will start a new thread about it.
#8 of 9 Old 03-02-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:

i used to pluck the chin hairs, but instead now i use my boyfriend's electric shaver! (embarrassing)
this is probably causing the infected follicles. My dh had to quit the electric shave and go back to shave cream and razor. Infected follicles GONE! We realized that the elec. razor was pulling the hairs up, cutting them, and then letting them back down under the skin.

there's a handy little device made by Braun for women ... like a rotating electric tweezer ...pulls 'em out by the root, much better. Or waxing? Anything is better than actually shaving I would think. This is just going to make them look thicker and darker.

Good luck and
#9 of 9 Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Hello,

I am a biologist at MIT, and chelating excess copper from your body is very easy. You can simply take a daily regiment of Methinione with a B complex. I recommend Country Life Methionine, and I recommend Schiff Brand Sustained Release B complex (S/R). You can take 1 B complex with 2 Methionines each, in the morning and again at night. You must take them together at the same time, and it is best if you take them RIGHT before you eat. The methionine and B will also help to naturally lower your bodies stress hormones, which will help to get your body back in balance.

-Isabelle

Quote:

i want to keep the paragard in for another few years as i am establishing a new long-term relationship and we would like to have a baby in 2012 (in the age of Aquarius).

i have some progesterone cream i could be using, but i am not sure of its effectiveness for my situation.

i don't have health insurance, but i am super curious what any professionals might have to say.

meanwhile, the infected hair follicles are causing scarring and just generally lowering my self-confidence.

for anyone else out there with this same problem, i have heard that cilantro is good for removing heavy metals from the body.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page