Some numbness and tingling after numbing shot??!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had the paragard IUD put in today. I went to the clinic in my insurance plan group in a different area for an appointment with a gynecologist I had never met. He was very nice and gentle though. I like guy gynecologists best... they are always so very very gentle. It turned out that they had the IUD there already... so I didn't have to order it. I got nervous cus I wasn't expecting to have it put in today and hadn't taken any pain killers beforehand. But he numbed me up with some stuff in this big needle. The insertion process wasn't all that painful. It pinched a teeny bit, and cramped a teeny tiny bit. But for most of it I just relaxed and stared at this mobile hanging over my head with green wooden fish dangling from it. After it was done he made me lay on the table for an additional 10 minutes for some reason. I started having cramps then, but they weren't too bad. He warned me though that the medication he'd given me had a few side effects, dizziness, and tingling/slight numbness. But he said that they shouldn't last and would be gone by the time we got in the car. Haha, was he ever so wrong! I came out of the hallway and out into the waiting room where MIL was holding a screaming DD. I immediately grabbed DD, who was just hysterical at that point and patted her back and jiggled her a little as I walked over to the receptionist and gave her my checkout form. She scheduled me an appointment for a month from now. DD quieted right down. The lady was like "oh, you're the mommy?" and looked at MIL and said "I thought you were the mommy, i'm sorry!" lol. DD was just fine in my arms I guess. On the way out of the building I started getting dizzy, but figured it would get better as soon as I sat down. I didn't feel up to putting DD in the car seat, so I asked MIL to do it. I sat down in the car and breathed a little bit. I was really flushed and sweating like crazy. It wasn't very bad with the cramping, but I breathed through it. Then we started driving and as we got onto the freeway... every muscle in my body tensed up suddenly and that caused excruciating pain and tingling all over. I couldn't even talk right, my tounge was effected too. I told her "My body is tingling all over and I can't move" but she didn't understand me, so I had to say it again. The pain got worse and worse and soon I wasn't able to move any part of my body. My hands clenched tightly and my legs scrunched up and my feet twisted sideways. It was horrible. I couldn't even rest my hands in my lap. I was moaning and crying out and praying. MIL was praying too! I moaned and told her to get in the carpool lane, cus I wanted to get home ASAP! The paralyzation and tension lasted about 10-15 minutes. And I slowly felt my legs start relaxing, and then my head and shoulders and arms and last of all, my hands. I again felt the cramping, but it wasn't at all bad. I knew then that it must have been a reaction to the shot. When we got home I could barely walk. I stumbled up the porch steps and was barely able to get the door open. I had trouble using my hands. When I got in the house I asked MIL to change DD, since I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to. I got myself some tea and a hot pack ready and took some tylenol. Then I nursed DD real quick and put her in the swing while I went to bed. Obi-wan (one of my kitties) came and snuggled up with me in the bed. I rested for a couple hours and then got up. I had told MIL to call me and check on me. She did, and I said I was fine. I'm just fine now. No cramps at all. I never want that shot again! I guess I was slightly allergic to it? My mom is worried now that I told her the story. She is afraid that the shot poisoned me. I think i'm fine now, but if I have any other problems I'm calling the hospital.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#2 of 8 Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Talked to a friend, he said it sounded like an allergic reaction to him. I guess i'll have to call the doctor's office tomorrow and see what the heck they gave me so I can make sure never to get it again.

#3 of 8 Old 02-04-2009, 03:05 AM

I was about to say - it sounds like an allergic reaction.

I had the copper IUD as well. Now, I'm very stressed out any time someone has to touch me in that area (other than my partner, but sadly he's not a gynecologist, lol). So, I had to have valium and muscle relaxants.

However, as a result, I skipped the numbing injection. I was already out of it happily, and thus noticed nothing.

Now, here's another thought - are you 100% certain that you're not allergic to copper? I suppose the side effects wouldn't stop if you were. But, it is something that crossed my mind when I read your post.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#4 of 8 Old 02-04-2009, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think i'm allergic to copper. I mean the side effects wore off and I haven't had any trouble since then. If anything else happens overnight though, i'm waking my mom up and we're heading to the ER!

#5 of 8 Old 02-04-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Still researching this. Talked to the nurse on the phone. She says it doesn't sound like an allergic reaction to her, but that it is definitely "something" lol. : Ok, so what is this "something" caused by? I'm searching on the internet but not bringing up much. "Tetany" is the only thing i've brought up that sounds even remotely close to what i'm experiencing. Except "Tetany" isn't something you just experience once and it's over with. It's something caused by an ongoing illness... such as lack of calcium in the diet. I drink plenty of milk and take a vitamin D supplement. So, I can't see how that could be the problem. *sigh* this is really frustrating.

Oh, and my leg muscles are super sore from the prolonged muscle cramp. I am limping around the house.

#6 of 8 Old 02-05-2009, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

So it turns out I was just hyperventilating. I never did get those breathing techniques quite right...

#7 of 8 Old 02-06-2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
So it turns out I was just hyperventilating. I never did get those breathing techniques quite right...
I've had that happen. I had a panic attack and hyperventilated and my hands locked up and I just couldn't move. It was pretty scary. I thought I was having a seizure or something
#8 of 8 Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Oh good, at least i'm not the only one! I was so embarrassed about it! It was pretty terrifying though, and sadly it's not the only time i've done it! Also did it twice at 17 when I had horrible period cramps in response to the pain. And I did it again when I was in labor on the way to the hospital. Kinda freaked out and did a combo of hyperventilating and shrieking!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page