Mothering Forum banner

Charting to Avoid March 2009 Thread

16K views 498 replies 35 participants last post by  MovingMomma 
#1 ·
Welcome to the charting to avoid March 2009 thread. If you would like to be added or removed (or have anything changed) from the roll call list, please let me know by PMing me. PM me if you'd like to start next month's thread.

Here's a link to last month's February 2009

If you did not post in February, you have been deleted from the list. If you were mistakenly deleted, or you would like to be added/removed, please PM me and let me know. I can not promise to make changes requested in the thread, but I will try to get to everything.

*Charting/Using FAM/NFP to AVOID*

who we are:

* = active member

akaisha - since 04/08
angelxxrose - since 08/08
AnnieA - since 12/07
BarefootScientist - since 08/08 and 12 cycles in '05-'06
cahwilson - since 01/09
ccasanova - CTA since 12/08 + 4 mos prior
Danielle283 - since 02/09
DucetteMama21842 - (babymed) (FF) since 11/08
heather719 - since 01/09
ladyinred - since 06/08
mamaspirit - CTA since 11/08 + more prior
MarineMommy - CTA since 10/08
MarineWife - FF Ovusoft since 06/08
miriam_bat_avraham -
momongeon - CTA
MovingMomma - since 02/09 + some time before
nichole - CTA
Othermother'n'madre - CTA since 02/08
ReikiMommy07 CTA since 08/08
Shelsi -
Sihaya -
Smylingeyz - CTA since 06/08
Teenytoona - since 02/09
twilight girl - since 08/07
Twinklefae - since 05/08
Virginia884 - since 02/09
wannaBmom_NICU_RN - since 01/09

Graduates (no longer charting to avoid)
maggirayne -- CTA 02/08-10/08
JuicyPakwan - CTA 06/07 - 06/08 (?)
jul511riv - CTA 17 mo
Mrs_Lurker - CTA 11 mo
augustinem -- cta 6 mo
DanelleB - 12/07 - 05/08
Runner29 - CTA since 07/07 + 2 years previous
ShwarmaQueen - CTA since 09/07
BananaBreadGirl - CTA for 2 years
sk8ermaiden - 09/07-10/08
texaspeach - 10/04 - 01/09
cfiddlinmama - CTA since 11/07 + more prior
CanidFL - CTA since 06/08
Shell_Ell - (FF) (OS) since 11/04 (15 cycles)
Juliacat - CTA since 03/08 mo, +33 cycles prior from 2001-2004
mommy2twobabes - CTA since 7/08

Pregnancies per Month
February - at least 1
March - 2

Happy charting!

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry day rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak day rule: the last day of fertile mucous is called the peak day (the day before your mucous begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucous appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature shift rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2 degrees F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1 degrees F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books:
Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility and Honoring Our Cycles workbook, by Katie Singer
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

Websites:
Ovusoft charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
Author Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility website
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations:
AF: Aunt Flo, your period
BFP: what we are trying to avoid, a positive pregnancy test
CD: Cycle day
CM: cervical mucous (same as CF)
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
DPO: Days past ovulation
DTD: Do the deed
GIO: get it on
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucous/fluid
LP: Luteal phase - the time from ovulation until your period, average 10-16 days

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the new thread! I am still going strong with charting. This cycle was hard because we got a new puppy and my sleep schedule was very erratic. It was definitely hard to temp properly but I still got a sustained temp raise that corresponded with my other fertility signs. That was good to see because then hopefully I can still chart accurately when I am (hopefully) breastfeeding in the future.

Hope everyone is doing great!

#5 ·
Thanks for starting the thread MarineWife. If you ever get sick of that or need me to take over, PM me and I will gladly do the honors.

I am on CD 11 and a little annoyed at my DH for not telling me until this morning that he has a few hours of work to do today. "Few hours" = "half day." I was kind of looking forward to a real weekend and now I have to watch DS alone just like any weekday while DH works in the basement.
Ok that was totally OT and had nothing to do with CD 11. End rant.

#6 ·
Thanks for the new thread!

I'm still under the graduates part though...you can move me back up.

CD 20 and pretty sure I'll get crosshairs in the next couple days. We had a bit of sloppy withdrawal the other night so I'm actually hoping it's more than a couple days away.
DH is gone for a week so that'll make it nice and easy.

#7 ·
By the way, question for the veterans: 18 mo. old DS still nurses, and still wakes frequently during the night. So, my temp time is pretty erratic, given that sometimes I'm tossing and turning just before temp taking time. As long as there appears to be a separation of low temps and later high temps, combined with other signs, can I rely on this?

#10 ·
I'm joining you! Pulled the ring out this morning and I'm not putting one back in. I am DONE with hormonal bc. AF should start on Wed and then the real charting fun begins.

Question- how precise do you have to be with times and temps? Does a 30 min time difference change a lot on your chart? Is this a 'wait and see for yourself' thing?

#11 ·
Thanks for the new thread MarineWife!!

I am on CD5 today. I would venture to say I am spotting today and this could be the last day of AF. AF has been really pleasant this cycle (as pleasant as she can be
) not as heavy as usual and shorter. I also had my first 12 day LP last cycle. Maybe things are ironing themselves out inside me. I started temping at 5am this cycle too. I set my alarm and temp when it goes off. For now I go back to sleep but am aspiring to get my behind out of bed and work out, pray and read my Bible before the babies wake up!!!

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by twilight girl View Post
By the way, question for the veterans: 18 mo. old DS still nurses, and still wakes frequently during the night. So, my temp time is pretty erratic, given that sometimes I'm tossing and turning just before temp taking time. As long as there appears to be a separation of low temps and later high temps, combined with other signs, can I rely on this?
I have been temping and nursing my toddler since Sept. I wake often at night and still notice a definite temp shift. That with other signs has helped us to avoid pregnancy so far.

#15 ·
Hello all! Happy March! This was a busy weekend and I just didn't get up on Sunday, hence the temp skip. I woke up 2 hours late and thought, ah well... It's probably nothign exciting anyways. Being that I'm still in the 96. something range on CD 19, I'm guessing I will never see that ovulation shift. So much for my wishful thinking for a normalish cycle.

What's the best time to check position/CM/etc? I suppose it varies for everyone. Everytime I check at about 9 ish, I get the same result, high closed, nothing going on. Sometimes when I check at different times of the day, it's lower, a bit more open, and a little wetish, though I don't think I've seen any real cm.

#16 ·
Quote:

What's generally accepted as safe after a sustained temp rise? 3dpo? 4dpo? 5?
The safest is the evening of the 3rd day of consecutive high temps and the 4th day of CF dry up because that should be the same day, which is 3dpo. Temps and CF don't always align, though. I usually feel pretty safe with the evening of the 3rd consecutive high temp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teenytoona
It's probably nothign exciting anyways. Being that I'm still in the 96. something range on CD 19, I'm guessing I will never see that ovulation shift.
CD19 isn't really all that late. Don't give up hope, yet. I've Oed as late as cd45 and was able to see my thermal shift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teenytoona
What's the best time to check position/CM/etc?
CF (cm) should be checked several times a day, usually at least every time you go to the bathroom. You record the most fertile CF you recognize for that day. CP should only be checked once a day at the same time every day. I don't think it matters much what time you check it as long as you are consistent about it every day. When I used to check mine, I'd check it around 3-4 in the afternoon just because that's when I'd remember.

#17 ·
Anyone have a huge variance in CM quality & quantity from one cycle to the next? I had way more and way stretchier last cycle, so I thought I was still a long ways from O, but now my temp is up & CM is definitely drying up. Any ideas for a reason behind such a variance?

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
Anyone have a huge variance in CM quality & quantity from one cycle to the next? I had way more and way stretchier last cycle, so I thought I was still a long ways from O, but now my temp is up & CM is definitely drying up. Any ideas for a reason behind such a variance?
Probably just natural variations, as well as things like diet, hydration, stress, etc.

And, sorry for asking for a tutorial everytime, but ... we've never had trouble conceiving, and this is my first time CTA, so I *really* want to make sure I get this right:

Where/what is the cervix supposed to be like pre-O, and then post-O. It seems like mine is all over the place!! Having birthed the two DCs, I realize it's always a little open. But, pre-O I'm supposed to be high and soft? Then low and firm post-O? or is it the other way around? or a combination thereof? Thanks, and sorry for the Charting 101

#20 ·
Quote:

Where/what is the cervix supposed to be like pre-O, and then post-O. It seems like mine is all over the place!! Having birthed the two DCs, I realize it's always a little open. But, pre-O I'm supposed to be high and soft? Then low and firm post-O? or is it the other way around? or a combination thereof? Thanks, and sorry for the Charting 101

Pre-O, it should start out low, firm and closed and change to a more fertile position as you get closer to O. It responds to estrogen the same way that CF does. So, as your CF goes from dry to sticky to wet to ew, your CP should go from LFC to MMM to HSO. It should be HSO right before and at O. After O it should move back to LFC again pretty quickly. It might become a little more HSO again right before AF (if you check then) and stay that way during AF.

#21 ·
Quote:

Generally speaking, yes, as long as you can see a clear thermal shift you should be good to go, and you've got the other signs to back you up. If you're having really erratic sleep I'd be very vigilent, myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post
Question- how precise do you have to be with times and temps? Does a 30 min time difference change a lot on your chart? Is this a 'wait and see for yourself' thing?

30 mins makes no difference for me personally. i generally go within an hour. you can also always adjust your temps if need be. if you haven't read TCOYF yet definitely get a copy of that.

Quote:

Okay, I think I'm good! CD14 and no temp spike yet, so I think the swim team from CD7 is all dead! Temp should rise tomorrow, and I can look forward to the countdown to the other side

What's generally accepted as safe after a sustained temp rise? 3dpo? 4dpo? 5?
TCOYF says 3 days after a sustained thermal shift and 4 days past your peak day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
Anyone have a huge variance in CM quality & quantity from one cycle to the next?
i do...every cycle is just different i think. last cycle i had only 2 days of fertile CM, unheard of for me.

CD 23 for me, 10DPO

#23 ·
good morning everyone!

Hmmm, confusion. CD15, no temp rise, and dry CD14 (scantest of scant ewcm on tp, very very scant, but stretchy) and dry this a.m.

I'm always a 28/29 dayer, and usually O on CD14.

Is it possible, if I've gotten say a good 5 hours sleep before temping, that it would bring my temps lower? Only over the last couple of days I think the baby has let me sleep a fair stretch. So, there was a temp spike one day (temp time was off though), then back down, but is it possible it's because I'm sleeping more consecutive hours before temping?

Ugh, can't wait for the V!!

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Pre-O, it should start out low, firm and closed and change to a more fertile position as you get closer to O. It responds to estrogen the same way that CF does. So, as your CF goes from dry to sticky to wet to ew, your CP should go from LFC to MMM to HSO. It should be HSO right before and at O. After O it should move back to LFC again pretty quickly. It might become a little more HSO again right before AF (if you check then) and stay that way during AF.
Cool, I've been looking for info on the position. I swear, when I check mine at 9 am (which is what I have been doing), it is the same, everytime. Very high (barely reachable). I think I'm going to start checking it throughout the day and seeing how/when it changes. The closed/open and texture make sense to me, but I wasn't sure on position.

Still no real sign of any CM, not any like I used to have I'm generally wetter the past few days, but nothing stretchy like when I used to chart years ago. Ah well. My temp did go up a bit today, so maybe there will be more of the same? Who knows, it's anyone's guess at this point.

#26 ·
I don't understand what's going on with my chart at all...

I even POAS and that's negative (phew) but... what the heck? Maybe I didn't O? I guess time will tell. I'm not feeling any crampiness at all though, which I would expect if AF was coming today. I know this is only my 4th cycle charting but my LP has always been 10 or 11 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.