I removed by IUD by myself! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 12-18-2012, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just removed my iud out after getting some courage at first it stung a Lil but I think that was because of trying grip my strings after a couple attempts I almost gave up n then as I was trying to get a grip of the strings I slowly pulled n I thought its not going to work then it was in my hand I ddnt feel it come out. I was surprised I thought I would never get it out.
#32 of 37 Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 AM

I am so happy I found this thread... I had my iud for 5 years. In that time I didn't have to much trouble, phantom kicks (I thought I was losing it or expecting) weight gain (usual with birth control) and depression. After five years it served it's purpose time for removal... Called to set up an appointment my insurance was not active. greensad.gif Now yes I could wait but that would take months & I already had a worry about what the iud could be doing to my body all these years. I web searched & found this thread not even an hour ago. After your many post I went for it... No luck!!! I asked my husband he laughs but agreed after a couple of beers. I talked him through it 10 minutes later it was over. There was a small burning & some cramping but I have to say it hurt more going in. I'm iud free & happy. Good Luck to those who decide to go for it. wink1.gif
#33 of 37 Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM

I'm glad I'm not alone with the systoms of my mirena I love not having a period although I do spot every month at any time, but I can't handle the side effects of weight gain acne mood swings and I feel pregnant all the time fatigued tender breast I just feel that I need it out ASAP my doctor wants to try and change my antidepressants first but I didn't do so well with that I've had my mirena for about 15 mnths and I've gained almost 20 Pds since I had it put in and I had maintained my weight after the birth of my son who is now 6 until I received this thing and I'm a pretty healthy eater so I know its not that I'm not eating right!!!! I'm thinking of having it removed or do it myself
#34 of 37 Old 09-23-2013, 11:29 PM

Hi everyone I was in a frenzy thinking my ParaGard copper IUD that I have had in since 2010 was embedded in my uterus. I loved it for about 3 years no pregnancy no infections but I would have random sever (just as bad at contraction pain) I have always had ovarian cysts but they seemed to have been rupturing more often since having my iud... Also a week before my period began I would be so sad and everything would annoy me. I was on edge I had anxiety which I never had it this badly before. I still loved my iud till last week i finished my period and 4 days later... I felt like I had a tampon inside of my vagina (I don't use tampons) I felt inside n the strings felt longer then I have ever felt before, it scared me! Then the back ache started n has been bad. I got it in my head that I was going to either get sicker from this iud or I was going to get it removed I do not have health insurance n my Obgyn told me it was going to be over 200 to get it removed I found this post and made an account. I was so scared this iud was in my wall of my uterus but I reached up n pulled it out! The strings were very slippery but it was so simple n I did not bleed at all only have a small amount of cramping now. I am happy I saved myself $200+ good luck everyone!!!! I can't speak for everyone, I can only say it worked for me.
#35 of 37 Old 04-09-2014, 04:47 PM

Just removed my paraguard myself. I will admit, i was VERY nervous, but the amount of pain i had been experiencing each month (and most recently during sex itself) had steadily increased and i couldn't take it any more. Today was final straw, i couldn't stand up straight all day because if i did it felt like a knife tip scrapping the inside of my left hip socket. That was always where the pain was: left hip, buttock and lower back, each and every period.
I had read others posts and, like most of us, am extremely short on funding. So i figured, i can handle a little pain and blood. No way it could be worse than my periods had become. I grabbed a latex glove from my job and once home, gripped the strings, steady pull and ten seconds later it was out smile.gif i felt it give, and slide through but no actual pain from that part. A little crampy but no worse than my period. Plus, I can stand up again too. Now to get my hubby in to have him snipped and condoms in the meantime. Looking forward to getting my old self back again!
#36 of 37 Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 AM

Hi
I'm on here to let other ladies know that taking your IUD out at home yourself !!
YES it can be done , with ease and totally pain free !!!
I , after years of having the copper iud , well nearly 8 , felt I was having a little pain in my abdomen daily , and totally heavy periods , felt it was time to have it removed , well that was the hard part of it !
I live in England and they have many free family planning clinics , I had my iud fitted at one , 8 years ago , then the same clinic I went back too only to be told that I was to old to have it taken out there as it was an 18-30 year old family planning !
Wow , too old greensad.gif
3 other clinics I sat and waited in for hours on end , too be told , no doctor was present to remove it , too old for clinic again and I needed to go back to the clinic that fitted it. !!!!
Do they think I'm stupid ? That was my first port of call !!!
Now I have a date for removal at a local health centre - wait for it
14th July !!!
Wtf !
Well after months of pain , painful heavy periods and then on top of that - Bv , horrendous smelly discharge greensad.gif
I have just completed the course of antibiotics for the BV but it would only come back after my period , the iud was to blame for the BV!
So I got brave , read the comments on her and thought , I can do it myself !
After all they only pull it out like you can do !!
I ran a hot bath , relax then found the strings , grab it tight with my finger tips and very slowly and gently pulled , felt a small twinge and bloody hell it was out !!
Can't believe it to be honest. ! It was easy , painless and 4 hours later , no bleeding , no cramps just over the moon smile.gif
Well hope this helps anyone who may do the same thing , I was scared at first thinking I may cause myself damage but I only did what the doctor would have done and in the comfort of the bath smile.gif
No more iud for me , so happy and can't stop looking at what made my insides poorly , little buggar ! So small and flexible so don't worry that you may scratch or rip inside you on the way out , they can bend or fold !
Thx
#37 of 37 Old 06-09-2014, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up

Hi ladies, I just removed my Mirena IUD myself! If anyone is thinking of doing it, it's not hard. I decided to do it myself after calling to make an appointment for my obgyn to do it and nothing was available for three months! I also asked about the price and was surprised to find out it costs $150! We've been thinking we want to try for a baby in the next few months and want to be free to go ahead with that when we feel it's the right time.

All I did was reach up with index and middle fingers and was able to get a hold of one of the wires. I pulled down just like when removing a tampon. It came right out and I was amazed at how easy it was. I'm glad I didn't pay all that money for the doctor to do it!

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page