I removed by IUD by myself! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep that's right - today I reached inside my vagina, found the strings with my fingers, then gripped them with a sterilized tweezers and gently and PAINLESSLY pulled my IUD out thru my cervix and then out of my body forever! Hooray!

Keep in mind I was towards the tail-end of my moontime, so my cervix was partially open.

I am so glad to have it out. I was growing thick chin hairs and getting really embarrassing acne along with it.

Back to condoms!

Peace and love,
CatPeace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 03:54 AM

Congratulations on getting rid of it! I wish I could just pull mine out. I hate it so much. I believe I am suffering from copper toxisity. I am getting it removed tomorrow. The string is completely up in my body and I can't even feel the slightest tip of it. It's gradually been creeping up and I haven't been able to feel it in over a year. It's still up there because I had a midwife check it out for me. I'm just worried about an invasive removal and damage to my uterus

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 PM

wow, OP, rock on!

and good luck tomorrow lacysmommy!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 PM

Awesome!! I've felt the strings but just barely. I can't grip them enough to pull mine out, but I want it GONE!!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 PM

Thats awesome! I removed mine at the end of Jan. My dh pulled it out and it was very quick. I could feel the strings but couldn't grip them, so my husband did it! We were looking to get a doctor to pull it out my the nurse said "say $200 and do it yourself. Call us if you can't." I am glad it is gone too.

Amber (31) - Married to my high school sweetheart for 13 years, mom of 4 amazing kids (ages 12, 8, 3, and 16 months), homeschooler, and expecting our 5th child around May 18th!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 PM

Wow, you are a lot braver than I am.

I remember the lady in "Not Without My Daughter" removed her IUD herself, and said that it was extremely painful. Her description was enough to put the idea out of my head forever.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 AM

I just had mine removed at the doc's office and what a waste of money! I had no idea how easy it would be and totally wish I would have just done it myself. Oh well. Welcome back to condom world! Isn't it SO much better?!

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 AM

I applaud anyone who can do it, but ouch, I can't imagine having taken mine out myself. It was kinda crampy and dizzying when the nurse took mine out. I went to the free clinic though, so mine was free to remove too.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 PM

you are braver than I am.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:30 PM

my LM removed mine last week for no extra charge (during my annual). i could not believe how much better i feel having it out!! it was the paragaurd, so no hormones, but i was just always aware of it. i didn't realize how aware until she removed it and it was like i exhaled. ahhhh. so glad to be done with it. it was basically making me hemorage every month so now i'm anemic and taking heavy iron supplements. good riddance.

happily married mama to our only...for now
Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM

this thread's making me really happy that I don't have an IUD

mischievous.gif
Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I lurve my Paraguard, I've had one or another in for a total of 12 years now.

But I've always fantasized about being on a desert island with my DH, and needing to remove it myself to get pregnant. I thought I could, but never heard that it could be done. Congrats! That's really cool!

May try it myself one of these days, when we decide to start TTC. When you make up your mind to TTC, you just want to start, kwim?

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 PM

My mom warned me off IUD's before I ever considered getting one... between the copper toxicity and the fact that my moms best friend was injured by hers causing her to get several ectopic pregnancies...

I'm terrified of the things.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:16 AM

I had a marina.. I really liked it. And no copper parts for the copper toxicity issues.. so those that are "happy" they didn't do an IUD, I hope they realize that there are a LARGE variety of IUDs out there today with all different options/issues associated with them..

I had the doc pull out my marina.. I am glad I went that route as they check them for bacterial growth.. I am not sure how someone could check that themselves..
Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 AM

To check for bacterial growth, they probably just swab and culture the things. Really easy, quite interesting. I've swabbed toilet handles, sinks, piano keys... lol. You learn quickly that we aren't alone
I have access to sterile swabs and cultures (agar and broth plates - a petri dish with a bacteria food) because I do microbiology classes at university, just as a side note. Maybe you could order the materials from a science website? Any 1 bacteria will grow into a small, visible colony. Then there's a process where you can check the guys out under a microscope.
Easier if a doctor does it, though, imo.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_veggie View Post
To check for bacterial growth, they probably just swab and culture the things. Really easy, quite interesting. I've swabbed toilet handles, sinks, piano keys... lol. You learn quickly that we aren't alone
I have access to sterile swabs and cultures (agar and broth plates - a petri dish with a bacteria food) because I do microbiology classes at university, just as a side note. Maybe you could order the materials from a science website? Any 1 bacteria will grow into a small, visible colony. Then there's a process where you can check the guys out under a microscope.
Easier if a doctor does it, though, imo.
Well I am glad it is easier to do than I assumed.. I highly doubt that many of the mamas that yanked their iud's out on their own are taking the time to do thi s, though.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Well I am glad it is easier to do than I assumed.. I highly doubt that many of the mamas that yanked their iud's out on their own are taking the time to do thi s, though.
Lol yeah, I doubt it.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Yeah, I took my own out too, actually...in the exact way you have described, OP. It didn't really hurt at all! It was a little intense...but I guess after having a baby come out of your cervix, anything smaller than a canteloup just doesn't give you the same "ouchie" feeling!

The Mirena IUD turned me into a raving, crying, acne covered lunatic! It was like...1,000% worse than the emotions I feel when I'm pg, seriously! I got it in in August....and I didn't make it through December before my DH was like "babe, please, you gotta take it out!" - he was depserate!! I was too...it made me depressed, my feet were stiff and hurt so bad, my joints were all stiffened up and it was too much.

So, yes, it is gone. I am pg. Life is good! :

No Mirena for me, ever again. Perhaps paragaurd....but really, after having something in my cervix/uterus...I'm thinking "no" on the foriegn objects approach!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 AM

That's amazing...I'm so jealous! My IUD perforated my uterus and had to be surgically removed after three attempts by my OBGYN. It was the worst experience and I tell everyone I encounter not to get an IUD. Painful, painful.

I'm Megan , married to Steve, mama to Rowan (11/07) and thrilled to be 03/10!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:56 PM

i know this is completely NOT the same thing, but I took my nuvaring out and within 36 hours I felt like I had taken anti depressants. o.k., that was really unrelated but it's out there
Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 PM

i took mine out the other day. no problems at all... and i was TOTALLY tempted to culture it but i just tossed it. i figure i'd see symptoms of bacterial infection if there was one.

eh. who needs a signature?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 PM

Thanks to the encouragement I felt by reading this thread, I removed mine today (Mirena)! I feel overjoyed. Thanks mamas! I was not having *severe* side effects, but they did bother me...PMS syptoms like puffiness, moodiness, cramping. I've also gained belly fat during the 3.5 months I've had it (got at at 6 weeks post part). I always lose body fat and weight during the early months of breastfeeding and I suspect the IUD threw me off. I pulled it out myself with no problem. I have very mild cramping this evening but feel fine.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 PM

I took mine out, too. It was super easy and painless.
I'd had it for 3 years and was done with the heavy periods. I would still recommend it, though. Nearly 100% effective birth control you don't have to think about is worth heavier bleeding, in many cases.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:52 PM

I would Looove to remove mine. Mainly because DH and I really want ttc ASAP. But I cannot find the strings at all! My OB won't see me for another month and my GP won't remove it. Ugh!

Does anyone know if I can have it removed at Planned Parenthood?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I would Looove to remove mine. Mainly because DH and I really want ttc ASAP. But I cannot find the strings at all! My OB won't see me for another month and my GP won't remove it. Ugh!

Does anyone know if I can have it removed at Planned Parenthood?
I would just call and ask them. They might. You might need to mention that you can't find the strings.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:12 PM

Planned Parentwhood will remove them, but not if you are wanting to get pregnant, if you are using their birth control insurance. I was on their family planing insurrance when I got mine out and I wouldnt have qualified to have it removed if I was planning to get pregnant. I told them I was ready to have it out because I was tired of having something foreign in my body and we were going to be using condoms for birth control. I dont know about other forms of payment though.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:21 PM

I took mine out in November to TTC. It was SO easy. DC#2 is due in September and I'll probably get another one. I loved mine - Paraguard. I agree that heavier bleeding is worth it to have such carefree and effective BC.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:56 PM

i just wanted to say i did the same thing today only i just used my fingers to pull it out. id had enough!!! i have a question did ur stray hairs go away???  even tho i just did it today ive had a totally different mood change for the better and i feel "lighter" is the word ill use.. lol

Old 09-20-2012, 09:16 AM

How in the world could u feel yours? I have tried once before to feel for mine and i cant find it at all. I have had it for about 4 years now and it is time for me to remove it but I have no insurance and there are no "free" clinics around my town. It is causing bad acne and the worst cramps in the world. worse than when I actually had a period....anyone have any suggestions???

Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM

I also had an iud go through the wall of my uterus...had to have surgery to remove it.  I had three young children and didn't want more so had tubal ligation done...one year later I had to have a hysterectomy...connected?  I think so....Would NEVER recommend and iud to anyone!!

User Tag List