My IUD is all the way up - Update - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-03-2009, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really freaked out. I knew the IUD was way up in me, but I had no idea it was all the way in my cervix. The midwives couldn't get it out with their special tools. I am really hoping it doesn't damage my uterus. I wish I had this removed a year ago when it was first causing problems. So I have an appointment on the 19th and they're having me take cytotec (the stuff they give to induce labor that causes major problems with pregnant women!) to open up my cervix 4 hours before the appointment. I'm really afraid they still won't be able to get it and I'll have to be referred to an OB (this is a CNM/ARNP midwifery clinic) for surgery. Has anyone dealt with this before? I'm also worried about possible damage to my uterus with being so invasive to try to remove it.

Update 3/19-- I took some cytotec this morning to loosen up my cervix so the midwife could really dig around in there and hopefully find it. She could not. So I have an ultrasound this afternoon at 2 pm and I'm desperately hoping they'll find the stupid thing. The midwife told me basically one of three things could have happened: 1) the IUD fell out on its own (doubtful, since it was creeping up and the MW could barely find the strings a year ago). 2) the IUD is all the way in my uterus and the midwife could not find it. I would be referred out to an OB to dilate my uterus manually and get it out with them. 3) the IUD could have punctured my uterus and is in my body cavity somewhere. This would require laproscopic surgery to remove. This scenario is highly unlikely as this is a very rare complication. She told me there is no increased risk during pregnancy if this has happened.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-03-2009, 03:43 AM

I'm sorry it's causing you problems I'm sure your midwife would have seen if it had punctured your uterus and I'd try not to worry about damaging your uterus during removal, I'd think it would be rare. Many women have d&c procedures performed for various reasons and I'd imagine from a physical point of view that removing an iud (if it's imbedded in the uterine wall) would be a similar procedure if it does need to be surgically removed. Best of luck.
#3 of 10 Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I'm really freaked out. I knew the IUD was way up in me, but I had no idea it was all the way in my cervix.
IUDs are supposed to be high in the uterine fundus, and only the strings should be protruding through the cervix. I suspect that your IUD is probably just fine. It sounds like the strings have pulled up into the uterus so there is nothing to grasp onto for removal. The dose of Cytotec they will give you to soften your cervix will be much lower than the dose used for induction of labor. Hopefully once your cervix is a bit more open your midwife will be able to grasp the stem of the IUD and remove it.
Good luck.
#4 of 10 Old 03-19-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

See my update in post #1

#5 of 10 Old 03-21-2009, 04:12 AM

Oh no! Please let us know what happens!! s:

trekkie.gifStudent Mama to:  C reading.gif  (9yrs old), R blahblah.gif (5yrs old), F  hammer.gif (3yrs old) and TTC baby.gif #4 since April 2009

#6 of 10 Old 03-24-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
3) the IUD could have punctured my uterus and is in my body cavity somewhere. This would require laproscopic surgery to remove. This scenario is highly unlikely as this is a very rare complication. She told me there is no increased risk during pregnancy if this has happened.

Not to be a debbie downer but if I were you I would vigilantly avoid pregnancy until this is completely resolved. It absolutely can have serious risks in pregnancy if it has perforated you uterus. A close friend of mine got pregnant with a perforated IUD and it not only went through her uterus but her bladder as well. They had to perform a C-section the damage was so significant added to that the cut they had to make was so funky to get the baby out and avoid the bladder she had to have repeat sections for her last two.

I truly hope all is well I just wanted to clarify that you doc was way out of line to say that.
#7 of 10 Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotJabanero View Post
Not to be a debbie downer but if I were you I would vigilantly avoid pregnancy until this is completely resolved. It absolutely can have serious risks in pregnancy if it has perforated you uterus. A close friend of mine got pregnant with a perforated IUD and it not only went through her uterus but her bladder as well. They had to perform a C-section the damage was so significant added to that the cut they had to make was so funky to get the baby out and avoid the bladder she had to have repeat sections for her last two.

I truly hope all is well I just wanted to clarify that you doc was way out of line to say that.
I got an ultrasound done recently and my IUD is firmly in the right spot. I am being referred to an OB for removal. I see the OB on Tuesday. I am expecting a manual dilation of my cervix to get the IUD out and am hoping for a successful retrieval very soon.

I'm unsure how my MW was out of line... she said if my IUD had punctured the uterus it would be a very tiny hole that is very much unlike a surgical scar from a cesarean section. Of course she told me to use additional protection until the issue was resolved. She wasn't saying that a pregnancy with a misplaced IUD in place was okay.

#8 of 10 Old 03-29-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
I got an ultrasound done recently and my IUD is firmly in the right spot. I am being referred to an OB for removal. I see the OB on Tuesday. I am expecting a manual dilation of my cervix to get the IUD out and am hoping for a successful retrieval very soon.

I'm unsure how my MW was out of line... she said if my IUD had punctured the uterus it would be a very tiny hole that is very much unlike a surgical scar from a cesarean section. Of course she told me to use additional protection until the issue was resolved. She wasn't saying that a pregnancy with a misplaced IUD in place was okay.

I'm very glad to hear it is where it should.

In your first post you said " 3) the IUD could have punctured my uterus and is in my body cavity somewhere. This would require laproscopic surgery to remove. This scenario is highly unlikely as this is a very rare complication. She told me there is no increased risk during pregnancy if this has happened."

If it completely went through that is not a "very small hole". Your midwife is out of line because it can be a small hole (if it only partially punctures) or it can perforate completely causing a much larger wound and perforating other organs like the bladder, as in the case of my friend, causing surgical birth. I know this is rare but to blow it off as no big deal is very misleading. She was probably hoping not to make you panic but a perforated uterus is not a no biggie small thing. Sorry if that made you upset.
#9 of 10 Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm freeeeeee! I went in to the obgyn today and he was able to get it out.

In like 30 seconds. I think he had special dialator tools that opened me up so he could see what he was doing.

I'm so happy it is gone!

#10 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 AM

YAY! I'm so happy for you mama! Hopefully they can take mine out in a couple of weeks too

trekkie.gifStudent Mama to:  C reading.gif  (9yrs old), R blahblah.gif (5yrs old), F  hammer.gif (3yrs old) and TTC baby.gif #4 since April 2009

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page