Paragard - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are looking for a preventative that doesn't involve hormones, charting (I am not very good at keeping up, and my cycle isn't regular right now), or condoms (I have a slight latex allergy, and the lamb skin ones are expensive). I thought that Paragard would be the best alternative. But, I have had some people tell me that it's not good for you, and I have read of some horrible side effects and possible bad things that can happen. Does anyone have this IUD? Any thoughts? Any experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 07:01 PM

I had super heavy periods, horrible PMS, mood swings, and, I think, copper toxicity, from my Paragard IUD. Some women swear by it, but it wasn't a good fit for me. I am now charting and am much happier.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Old 05-04-2009, 07:43 PM

I sound like a Paragard commercial sometimes.
I've had mine for 3 yrs., will be getting it out soon to TTC but I'll probably get another after the baby's born.
It does cause heavier periods but my periods were heavy to start with, so what's a little more?
The stuff about copper toxicity is pretty out there, and not really backed by science. What else about them have you heard is bad for you? The most common side effect is heavier periods and/or cramping-- ibuprofen treats both. There's a risk of it coming out but that's less likely if you've had a baby, and it's not really a potential health hazard. There are very rare risks, like uterine perforation, but these are so statistically unlikely that I can't see why anyone would let that influence their decision.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 PM

I've had mine for a little over a year, and overall I'm pretty happy with it. My periods surprisingly are NOT heavier- they're pretty much the same. I do get cramping more frequently (when I ovulate, and randomly throughout the month), but they are very minor- not painful, just annoying. I was surprised and very happy that I didn't get any of the crazy side effects the ob kept trying to scare me with, because I don't tolerate hormonal bc at all. So for me, it's working out great. hth

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama View Post
I sound like a Paragard commercial sometimes.
I've had mine for 3 yrs., will be getting it out soon to TTC but I'll probably get another after the baby's born.
It does cause heavier periods but my periods were heavy to start with, so what's a little more?
The stuff about copper toxicity is pretty out there, and not really backed by science. What else about them have you heard is bad for you? The most common side effect is heavier periods and/or cramping-- ibuprofen treats both. There's a risk of it coming out but that's less likely if you've had a baby, and it's not really a potential health hazard. There are very rare risks, like uterine perforation, but these are so statistically unlikely that I can't see why anyone would let that influence their decision.
My girlfriend's neurologist suggested her migraines might have been getting worse because of her copper IUD. And I've been better able to cope with life since I got my IUD out, like I'm a new person.

I had a "lost" IUD, so I'm not really fond of them. The strings went up all the way into my uterus. It required three doctor visits and an ultrasound to get it removed. I got really scared during the process (before the ultrasound confirming its placement) that it had punctured my uterus, or had become embedded. Those are concerns of an IUD.

While I appreciated the convenience and the high level of protection against pregnancy, I'm never getting an IUD again. It just didn't work well for me.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 PM

I had a Paragard and it was fine, although I had increased cramping and bleeding.
In my experience, women tend to be happier with the Mirena. Although it has hormones, it tends to cause less symptoms, no bleeding, no cramping, etc.

My biggest suggestion is to have an experienced person put it in.

Also, you can check out the plastic condoms. I think the biggest brand is Avanti.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 AM

I haven't had a period yet PP, so i can't say how or if it will change my periods. So far I haven't had any problems with it at all. I've only had it a few months though.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 AM

I had one. It fell out a couple months after I got it. Apparently nursing increases that risk. I think I had a reaction to the copper. I had a few things that matched copper toxicity. I'm glad it fell out.

I did not have any issues in regards to flow or cramping or anything (just longer than my normal).

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
I had super heavy periods, horrible PMS, mood swings, and, I think, copper toxicity, from my Paragard IUD. Some women swear by it, but it wasn't a good fit for me. I am now charting and am much happier.
:

I started practicing NFP for religious reasons but I've had both the Mirena and the Paraguard and I've hated them both for different reasons. With the Paraguard I had very heavy, crampy periods and my cycle length shortened from 28-30 days to 22-24 days. My midwife has tried to tell me that it wasn't the Paraguard but I've been a 28-30 day cycle girl my entire fertile life and my cycle only shortened when I was using the Paraguard and now that it is out again it is beginning to lengthen again.

I am much happier charting.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
Old 05-05-2009, 02:27 AM

I love mine!! Had it for a few months, it's great! I was previously on hormones, which were terrible for me.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 AM

I have had my Paragard for 9 months. The first few months were horrible; heavy bleeding, cramping, and I just felt lousy. Around the forth month, I began to feel better and only had bad cramping at ovulation and when I got my period. I rarely had cramping prior to the IUD and my bleeding was minor during my period; 4 days and a regular tampon at most. However, now I bleed heavy for 8 sometimes 10 days using super tampons every 2 hours. I have had to leave work a few times because I bled through. (A horrible experience) I have made the decision to have it removed. I really like the premise of the IUD. I am always ready to go with my husband and it keeps it spicy. However, I just don't like the feeling I have now. If you have ever had a baby, it feels like the baby is stomping on your cervix. This is a recent feeling and it has become unbearable. Mt doc recommended this and stated that it is the main form of contraception in socialized medicine countries. Glad I don't live there. I really don't like using birth control due to side effects so I will have to go back to condoms or something else. I'm a little scared to get it removed.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for telling me all of your experiences. My husband and I have decided that the side effects and possibility of problems was enough to not get one. We want one more baby anyway, so we're just going to "go with the flow," then after our last baby, figure something out after that.
We've tried everything, and have problems with it all. So, he might get a V after the next one!! Which, I'm not real sure about yet because I might want four. We'll see.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 PM

After reading enough testimonials and medical information on the internet to sufficiently freak myself out, I decided to get a copper IUD (Paragaurd) anyway. I have a blood clotting condition called Factor 5 liedian that prevented me from taking anything with hormones. So my only options were Paragaurd and getting sterilized. And apparently since I’m ‘only’ 27 and I have no children, I must not know what I want to do with my own body. So no ‘respectable’ dr would sterilize me. Whatever, so I felt like this was my only choice, besides condoms, but I wanted something more reliable than condoms because of my strong aversion to children. J

Insertion day: Totally freaked out. I wanted to have a sit down with the Dr, beforehand but he acted and made me feel totally rushed- not cool. I did it anyway, assuming that he acted this way because he had done so many and it was a simple, fool-proof procedure. I had taken 2 ibuprofens and 2 extra strength Tylenol about an hour before. The pain was comparable to the first day of my period, but only when he was actually inserting different objects into my cervix. I would say it was about three separate times when I felt that all too familiar ‘kick’ to the stomach. When he was done, it wasn’t bad. I wasn’t nauseous, dizzy, painful, or faint. I was bleeding (more than expected during the last few days of my period). I actually felt well enough to drive myself to work. About 5 hours later I took a couple more extra strength Tylenol and went to bed early. I had regular cramping that continued into the next day. I used a panty liner for the next couple of days, because I really didn’t feel like putting anything else inside me (even though he told me I could use tampons whenever).

He acted like none of this was a big deal, even though I had a lot of questions. After reading horror stories online, I was specifically worried about:

Painful cramps and heavier periods- which he told me might happen, and that spotting between periods was more common, but not for very long. One of the nurses told me that you have spotting regardless of what kind of BC you start and that the pill causes it sometimes as well.

More susceptible to STDs and infections: he confirmed this and told me to always use a condom. He said the main concerns were that gonorrhea and Chlamydia can more easily lead to PID, which can make me sterile. Which was actually kinda cool, it seems like a cheap method of sterilization. Although, getting STDs is definitely not my goal.

Tampon use: he told me I could use one that day and any other time I needed with no problem. I told him I bought a Diva/menstrual cup and asked if that was ok and he kinda laughed and said ‘what the heck is that’ ahh… Georgia, how I hate you and your incompetent drs.

Expulsion- he says rarely ever happens and if it did, the most likely time would be during your first period. One of the nurses had said that it only happens if you’re a really heavy bleeder.

Perforation- he didn’t perforate my uterus (I’m sure I would have noticed) and it won’t perforate during sex. The only thing during sex I’d have to worry about is if my partner can feel the strings. He told me before we started that my uterus was tilted towards the back or something, but he said it was no problem (so don’t let a dr use that as an excuse to not let you have one- go get a second opinion).

He took the time to talk to me afterwards and answered all my questions, which I appreciated. He and the nurses both told me that some people tolerate it well and others don’t, but they don’t see that many women coming back early to get it removed (but why would they tell me that?). It seems like an expensive option for something that may or may not work, but if it does- it will be totally worth not having to worry about getting knocked up or the effectiveness of a thin piece of latex for the next 10 years.

Vitamins I read about that supposedly do things ( I am not your Dr):

Iron- lightens your flow- 18mg/day

Vitamin E- lightens flow and relieves PMS symptoms- 400 IU/day

Calcium and vitamin D- curbs PMS symptoms - 1000 mg of calcium and 400 IU of vitamin D a day

Vitamin B6- relives breast pain and depression- 50-100 mg/ day

Magnesium- reduces fluid retention and breast tenderness- 200mg a day

Zinc- balances copper in the body

The first week, my period or some light spotting lingered for a few more days than my period normally lasts. About a week after insertion, I had mild cramping for a few days. Not enough pain to make me reach for the Tylenol, but slightly uncomfortable. During ovulation, I had pretty severe cramping. 1000mg of Tylenol didn’t even make a dent in the pain. It was better the next day, but picked up for the next few nights with some light bleeding. At times, it got so bad, I was going to call my gyn because I thought my uterus was trying to expel it or something. Awful pain on some nights leading up to the start of my period. I’ve been spotting for about 3 weeks straight. During the week of my period, I had no cramps. My period actually seemed lighter than normal.

Sex update: I had absolutely no problems with it during sex. Very little blood, but it was at the very end of my period so that could have been why. My partner didn’t notice strings or anything unusual. A few days later, I noticed a light smell after checking the strings- please don’t let it be infection *fingers crossed*

I notice cramping and whitish/ bloody discharge when I’m ovulating. It kind of smells, not like an infection, but sort of metallic. That could just be my imagination…

Periods: Tend to start lightly a day or two early, but I haven’t noticed a heavier flow. The cramps are worse. I used to be in pain, take Tylenol every 4 hours, and just want to sleep all day for the first day of my period, now it’s the first two/three days.

Three- six months later: day to day, it’s not a problem. However I bleed a little and still have pretty bad cramps when I ovulate. It’s getting old. I feel like I have two periods a month. One normal one and a mini period in the middle of my cycle. The cramping is actually less severe during my actual period, but I would say it starts lightly a couple days earlier (lasts a little longer). Other than that, no problems. I haven’t had one infection *fingers still crossed* which I was really worried about because I’ve had a few in the past (before the IUD). In all, I would do it again. I guess it either works for you or it doesn’t- depends on your body. So good luck!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 AM

I am 19 years old and have a 17 week old son (4 months). I had a hard time with birth control pills, I only started them after my son was born. From just a month of using it I noticed an increase of fighting with my boyfriend, crying, anger. I just couldn't handle it anymore and I kept getting paranoid when i would take my pills a little late some days. I then began to realize that I needed to find a more permanent form of birth control. So I thought patch, nuva-ring, all those other methods beside an IUD. I then made an appt with my doctor to talk about birth control and after speaking with her I was told about Paragard, a non-hormonal IUD that was good for 10 years. I then began to seriously consider an IUD. I spent many hours online looking up reviews on Mirena and Paragard all of which scared me to death. After a few weeks of looking around I decided to go ahead and get the Paragard. I called my OBGYN  and she recommended i went in while i was on my period which i thought was gross/weird (i had my IUD inserted on the 3rd day of my cycle) The day of insertion(4/5/12) i youtubed videos which i probably shouldn't have because as soon as i was alone in the procedure room i began to second guess this decision. I took a 600mg ibuprofen beforehand and had a nice cold water bottle with me. I must say that the procedure for me wasn't so bad. The sounding was the worst part but it was just a quick REALLY sharp cramp then it was gone. I didn't even feel it when she put the actual device in. I felt fine enough to drive home but i spent the rest of the day just relaxing. I was really nervous about anything pushing against my stomach I'm not sure why but I was haha. I had cramps on and off that day but not enough to make me take pain meds. I do however have a high tolerance for pain. The second day i spent walking around the mall, there i did have a few moments where i was in some pain but again none so bad i was crying. I just took some more ibuprofen and was fine. Since i was on my period i didn't notice any more bleeding. About 4 days after insertion i stopped spotting all together. Sex wasn't uncomfortable and my boyfriend doesn't feel anything. I am a little more hesitant about him going deep though. I've only had my Paragard for a month but I don't really have any complaints. There are times i get a pinching feeling in my pubic area but it passes after a few seconds. I only started to spot again a couple of days before my first period with paragard which i'm on day 3 of. It's a little heavier but nothing uncontrollable i'm not having any more cramps (i'm actually having LESS cramps then i would beforehand). I read some peoples reviews about their hair falling out because of their Paragard. Mine is falling out but probably because i just had a baby! My skin isn't any different, I haven't gained any more weight (although I do feel chunkier but again probably because i've just had a baby!) I know i've written a lot but I just wanted to make sure there were some good reviews about the Paragard out there amongst all the bad ones. I only made this account because of how happy i am with my Paragard and i needed other woman out there to know that some people just have HORRIBLE experiences and of course you'll hear more of those than people who've had good times with it. Of course everyone is different and all experiences are different. In the end however I would definately be getting this IUD again the next time i have a child.

User Tag List