Essure permanent birth control - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I am looking for feedback/reviews on Essure. It is a non-chemical device placed in your tubes.
Any comments for or against?
Here is the link:
http://essure.com/Home/Understanding...5/Default.aspx
TIA,
Tanya
#2 of 26 Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM

I've looked at it for a few years now, every since I heard an ad on the radio for it. I have not taken the leap!

All ears here!
#3 of 26 Old 05-25-2009, 03:01 PM

I am planning on getting this very soon. Actually have it scheduled for this Friday but may have to cancel due to DH going out of town. I am very excited about the fact that it can be done in office without a general and that it is very effective. We are done with our family and while my DH would get a V I feel like the risks of that outweigh the benefits so I am choosing to get the Essure.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#4 of 26 Old 05-25-2009, 04:49 PM

I've had a consultation. I would love to know how it goes for you SaraC.

I guess my biggest fear is the "what if" long term I end up with the freak "blocked tube pain".

The procedure itself I can't say I have too many concerns about.

I do suppose the immediate question for you would be, after the fact, how many days were you sore?

Update us here! Thanks.
#5 of 26 Old 06-19-2009, 12:20 PM

I went in yesterday to have Essure done. I walked out a very unhappy woman. I don't remember the ride home. I do remember thye couldn't do it.

I was IV sedated, looped up good. Didn't feel too much. The problem was he could not see well enough in my uterus to place the inserts into the tubes.

IE Failed attempt.

That was yesterday mid-afternoon and this morning at nearly noon, I'm still feeling drunk. I can't walk down teh hall straight.

And I'm pissed. I hate IVs I hate needles and I went through all that thinking today I would be sitting pretty happy knowing in 3 months I'd be sterile. Instead, I sit here knowing I either have to have surgery for a tubal or say what the h and get a hystorectomy.

I was going ot have an ablation done after the Essure. During my consult that was the plan.

I'm done having kids, I'm done having monthly pain, I'm done catching blood days on end every month. Herbs don't help, medications don't help, healthy diet and exercise don't help. I just wanted to be able to move on without the fear of more children and the hassle of my period gone.
#6 of 26 Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 PM

:
#7 of 26 Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 PM

sao i just got the essure This past friday! Girls so far id recomend it! Im only 23 and was afarid to go into the or for tubes to be tied. was told about this and i did it. i am gonna say my doc gave me a few pain pills 30 mins prior and i didnt feel anyhting other then a little pressure! After i had like a very light feeling of cramps for mayb 2 hours at max. it was easy and i was out and about doing normal things within 30,ins of getting this done. took less then 15 mins from start to finish to have it done.

#8 of 26 Old 03-03-2012, 09:40 PM

had no pain what so ever after but small amount of menstral cramps. that were not even there mroe then 2 hours

#9 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 AM

Did you have issues being so young and getting it done? Like hassles from your doctor? I'm 21, and hope to get pregnant sometime this year, and probably end up having the baby at 22 and getting Essure shortly after that baby's birth. I had talked briefly(not even wanting it done, just wanting information because I had heard of it) after my son was born in 2010 and my ob/gyn told me I shouldn't even consider it because I'm "too young to make that decision" >.<

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#10 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 AM

I am scheduled to have Essure done in the morning. I will gladly post an update later this week letting you know how it went.

#11 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM

I had essure done 4 years ago and no problems whatsoever ....love the fact that I don't have to worry about taking a pill or anything anymore ....

#12 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 AM

wow - i had never even heard of this!  (thanks MDC boards!)  what can anyone tell me about the procedure and then the subsequent dye test - i am breastfeeding, we are relying on condoms - not that its SO bad - but this looks really good.....AND relying on condoms is how we got the one i am currently breastfeeding.....

cant wait to hear more!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#13 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 PM

I had the Essure procedure done almost a year ago. I had no problems with the procedure and had no side effects. When I had the dye test done three months later, one of the tubes was 100% blocked and the other was clear. One of the coils had come out. Based on other issues not related to the Essure, I ended up having to have a hysterectomy last week, so I wasn’t worried about taking care of the missing coil. Last month the other coil fell out. The one that was 100% blocking the tube. When I took the “class” before getting sterilized they told us that once the dye test was done, this was 100% effective birth control, but if the coils fall out, that isn’t 100%!! And, if I hadn’t seen one of them, I would never have known until I got unexpectedly pregnant! So, while I didn’t have any of the side effects that many women have had, I can’t recommend Essure for the reason that it doesn’t always live up to it’s 100% effective claim.

#14 of 26 Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Well, I had Essure done yesterday. It was painful, but not has painful as undergoing actual surgery. The pain only lasted for the day. I would described the pain as feeling like have contractions. I woke up this morning feeling absolutely normal. The woman who was doing my Essure is a resident at a teaching hospital. So, she did have a little trouble working the camera and locating my tubes, and had absolutely no "bed side manner", but the doctors that were in the room overseeing the procedure tried to make up for that. After the procedure they sent me to have an x-ray done, so I will be going back next week to get the results. And, of course, I will go back in three months to have the dye test done to see if my tubes have closed.

I had them give me the Depo shot yesterday, so I wouldn't have to worry about taking a pill everyday for the next three months while I'm waiting for the tissue to grow in my tubes.

#15 of 26 Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 AM

one of my friends got it done. she says she has more cramping every month that she used to but that it isnt bad enough to  make her wish she hadnt done it. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#16 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM

ive had nothing but pain since i had it. did anyone else experince mood swings?

#17 of 26 Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 AM

It's been a little over a month since my Essure procedure and I haven't stopped bleeding. It's just been a nonstop period, and I'm miserable. I think I would rather have a hysterectomy. But, I can't blame it entirely on the Essure. I have also had laproscopic surgery to remove my IUD that was found in my abdomen. Apparently it was floating around in my guts for the past 2 years. I would not recommend anyone getting an IUD (Merena) due to the risks. The doctor told me it is common for the Merena to "fall out" or puncture through the uterus and move through your body. I can't believe how "normal" it is to the doctors. I don't believe having a foreign plastic device floating around inside me is normal at all. Also, I have the Depo shot in me right now, which I'm sure is causing a lot of hormonal trouble as well. I am scheduled to have the dye test done next month, and I hope everything goes well. I am not as sure about the Essure now after reading that the coils still have a chance to fall out even after a successful dye test.

In my opinion, just having a full hysterectomy would be the easiest route if you are sure that you will not have anymore children.

#18 of 26 Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 PM

Hi-

I'm SO conflicted about birth control. I HATE the idea of hormones changing up my bodies chemistry, so essure seems to be my only REAL option. Did you get the die test done yet? How did it go? I did not like the Merana either and got it taken out 6 months after having it in. Do you think your ongoing period was all due to that?

#19 of 26 Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM

I've had the depo shot twice and bled every single day that it was in my system.  Truly miserable, hopefully that's all it is for you and not procedure.  Looking forward to getting it myself.

#20 of 26 Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM

Sorry I have taken so long to respond. I don't get on here very often. Yes, I did have the dye test done and everything worked out fine. I have not had any problems, so far. Essure has worked out for me. I wish the best for you.

#21 of 26 Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 PM

My girlfriend had the essure two years ago. She was told it was confirmed. She is now pregnant. The ultrasound shows the essure is in place

#22 of 26 Old 09-27-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsskaggs View Post

ive had nothing but pain since i had it. did anyone else experince mood swings?

Try looking around online for essure lawsuits. I know there are a lot of groups of women with side effects and issues related to Essure.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Essure-problems/178631888835781

#23 of 26 Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM

yesterday I had the Essure done. I'm very happy..I feel great.. now I have to wait three months to see if they are going to do their job.
#24 of 26 Old 03-23-2014, 06:29 AM

#25 of 26 Old 03-23-2014, 06:32 AM

This is a website that Erin brockavich has created to help women who have had this procedure done. IT has alot of different women's stories.

http://www.essureprocedure.net/
#26 of 26 Old 03-23-2014, 06:33 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page