can we talk vas and tubals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 05-25-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
trying to decide what to do about permanent birth control. weighing out risks and costs, and such. what are your thoughts, plans, information sources?

I MUST go eat while the baby is giving me a minute, but please weigh in, I will do the same later.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#2 of 25 Old 05-25-2009, 02:51 PM

The V is a much simpler, outpatient procedure. A tubal is major surgery and more expensive. I never even considered it. Full disclosure, dh had a V 4 years ago, never had a problem (back to bike commuting within a week) and we're very happy with the freedom and lack of worry.

You do hear of V failures. There are always going to be freak exceptions, but the vast majority of these are in men who don't go back for the three month check to make sure they're really sperm-free.
#3 of 25 Old 05-25-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

That is what I am finding. PLus in our county DH qualifies for a free vas and I can't find any such option for women.

side effect wise i found more things that can go wrong with a v, but more serious things with a tubal.

(plus I had three kids, I carried and delivered them naturally, I think it is sort of his turn to do something concerning procreation or the lack thereof, ya' know? )

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#4 of 25 Old 05-25-2009, 10:14 PM

Hi I don't know what county you are in but dh had one in July when ds was only a couple weeks old and he had no problems at all back to work the next day....the dr. who did his was Dr. Doug Stein....that's all he does pretty much...he also does V's for planned parenthood. It was a no scalpel V....

Your reasons were exactly our reason's for him having a V instead of me having a tubal.

Anyways...I really think it is a much simpler procedure than a tubal....My neighbor across the street is having a tubal at the end of the month I am anxious to see how it goes for her.
#5 of 25 Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 PM

I'm all for personal power. Check with your insurance company to see if they cover a tubal. Mine did. i had the procedure done - laser surgery, only a minimal belly button incision for 100 dollar co-pay. I had other procedures at the same time, no extra co-pay. Get thermal ablasion while you're in there! then, you know YOU are covered. Yeah, yeah, vas is easier blah blah blah. how about you????? what do you want???
#6 of 25 Old 05-31-2009, 03:29 PM

THere is a new procedure for women called Essure. THey are little coils placed in the uterine (fallopian) tubes. They scar over within three months. It's newer, so there's not as much long-term research on it as there is with tubal ligation, but it seems to be just as effective.

The coils are placed vaginally, it's a non-surgical out-patient procedure. I don't know how it compares to a vasectomy as far as price, side-effects and difficulty. I just thought I'd throw it out there as an option.
#7 of 25 Old 05-31-2009, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a tubal but that was because I had a planned c-section and had it done at the same time.

Pre-kids the plan was for hubby to eventually get a vas. because of cost, recovery, and basically the "it's his turn to do some of the work" mentality. It's also nice that there is a check to see if the procedure worked. With a tubal you kinda just have to have faith that it will be effective.

I do prefer the way it worked out. I am the one who doesn't like being pregnant. So it is 100% that I don't want to be pregnant ever again even if something were to, heaven forbid, happen to my husband. But I like the idea that if anything were to ever happen to me my husband has the option of more kids with someone else. If I died I would like to think my husband would remarry. I would like to think he would marry someone who loves kids and will love my kids. Someone who loves kids that much probably wants some of her own and I like that that door is open for my husband to find someone like that if I were gone. I know that being with a man who doesn't or can't have kids would be a deal breaker for many women. By the my, husband thinks I'm crazy for the whole line of reasoning.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#8 of 25 Old 05-31-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post
But I like the idea that if anything were to ever happen to me my husband has the option of more kids with someone else. If I died I would like to think my husband would remarry. I would like to think he would marry someone who loves kids and will love my kids. Someone who loves kids that much probably wants some of her own and I like that that door is open for my husband to find someone like that if I were gone. I know that being with a man who doesn't or can't have kids would be a deal breaker for many women. By the my, husband thinks I'm crazy for the whole line of reasoning.
I feel the exact same way. If something were to happen to me and DH were to remarry (how dare he ) I would like the option of more children being there for him. Especially since I know he would like more.

I am intrigued by the laser tubal. How much pain was there afterwards? I have also thought about Essure.

~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05
#9 of 25 Old 07-08-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieToaster View Post
I'm all for personal power. Check with your insurance company to see if they cover a tubal. Mine did. i had the procedure done - laser surgery, only a minimal belly button incision for 100 dollar co-pay. I had other procedures at the same time, no extra co-pay. Get thermal ablasion while you're in there! then, you know YOU are covered. Yeah, yeah, vas is easier blah blah blah. how about you????? what do you want???
What are you referring to about thermal ablation? On/for what?

Thanks,
Rachel
#10 of 25 Old 07-08-2009, 03:24 AM
2xy

My kids' dad had a vasectomy in 1997. We divorced in 2005, so I wound up getting a tubal, anyway.

He was one of the unfortunate ones who had a terrible vas experience. The procedure itself was difficult and lasted nearly three hours. He had to be given a shot of a narcotic just to be able to sit up from the table without nearly vomiting after it was over. This "simple" procedure kept him out of work for a week....during which time he lay on the couch with an icepack. He had residual abdominal pain for nearly six months post-op.

I went to a wedding two days after my tubal. Of course, I've had two c-sections....so laparoscopic surgery was a walk in the park. I was given some Vicodin or something after the surgery, which I took that evening and then just switched to Advil afterwards.

Cost wasn't an issue. We were both on military health insurance for those surgeries.

Edited to add: My tubes are clamped, not cut. My doctor said that cut/burned tubes have a higher rate of ectopic pregnancy.
#11 of 25 Old 07-08-2009, 04:05 AM

My mom had horrible lasting effects after her tubal that eventually lead to a hysterectomy and an ex-co-worker of mine regretted hers enormously because she was having negative side effects as well. Honestly I don't know details of either, if it was really all the tubal's fault, etc, but it was enough to scare me out of something I don't want to do anyway. I've thought about the Essure, but, because it is new, am leary. Also DH is finally showing signs of agreeing to a V so I think we'll be going that route.
#12 of 25 Old 07-08-2009, 04:13 AM

Throwing out the paragard iud - lots of women use them to carry them trough menopause. They can last (off the record, but drs will tell you) 15 years.

My mom's tubal didn't work - that's why I'm here. (Dr messed up and cut the wrong thing). But that's RARE rare RARE! (Though I'm glad it happened )

Good luck!
#13 of 25 Old 07-08-2009, 04:30 AM

http://www.malecontraceptives.org/methods/shug.php

The Chinese version looks great. This would be an option for male sterility in the future. It's more like essure, but for a male. Can I wait long enough for this to show it's safe?
#14 of 25 Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Thermal ablasion is when they remove the lining of your uterus either by heat or freezing it. It greatly reduces bleeding . My periods when from so heavy I may as well just sit on the toilet all day to maybe 3 full pads and some spotting. AWESOME!!! I don't know why docs still insist on hormones for making periods lighter. If you are done with kids, this is the way to go!
#15 of 25 Old 11-17-2009, 12:16 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if any of you knows or has experience with the thermal ablation after c sections? I'm pregnant with my third and definitely last dc now, and I'm starting to research my options. Vas is out of the question for dh, and I'm a little worried about the tubal ligation problems...
#16 of 25 Old 11-17-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if any of you knows or has experience with the thermal ablation after c sections? I'm pregnant with my third and definitely last dc now, and I'm starting to research my options. Vas is out of the question for dh, and I'm a little worried about the tubal ligation problems...
Essure is a great procedure if you are done with kids. It's non-invasive and quick.

But I do want an ablation and have an appointment set up tentatively for next month, so if I have it done I'll let you know. I'm trying to get a hysterectomy though so if I can find a doc who will do that I won't be getting an ablation.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#17 of 25 Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 PM

I had the Essure procedure done a few weeks ago. It was not bad at all - the procedure was quick and the only painful part was getting the lidocaine shots to numb the cervix. I had some cramps for the next few days - but it wasn't really any worse than a normal period, and then I felt totally back to normal. There was no disruption to my bfing dd, either (don't know how a traditional tubal would be in that regard). I haven't had the followup yet.

It's true there isn't a lot of long-term data on the Essure, but the data I've seen indicates it is safer than a traditional tubal. Though unlike a tubal, it takes a few months to take effect.

We felt that the risks were lower for Essure than for a vasectomy, but it's hard to say that definitively. We were mostly concerned that there hasn't been enough research done on the long term effects of developing anti-sperm antibodies (as many men do post-vas).

The Essure is more expensive - mine was over $3000. Insurance "covered" it, but only in the way it covers other stuff - they applied the cost to my very high deductible. Your insurance may vary.
#18 of 25 Old 11-17-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
Probably best to speak with your doctor. They way he explained it to me was they can remove the endometrial lining the tool they use can reach. If your uterus expanded and then shrunk back down with pockets or folds they won't be able to reach that part and you will still have bleeding from that part of the lining.
#19 of 25 Old 11-17-2009, 09:34 PM

I would never, ever consider tubal ligation. As well as the minimally invasive and fast recovery time for a vasectomy, I've also encountered many women who have had horrible post-tubal-ligation issues.

I'm not willing to risk it.
#20 of 25 Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 PM

I had a tubal 7 weeks ago with my c/s and I can say I have so far encountered zero issues, DH and I were both agreed that it was the easiest for us due to my having a c/s for medical issues. A vas would have happened if things were different, we only wanted 2 kids, so one of us was going to do something because both of us were also over FAM. We practiced that for over 10 years and used it conceive both our children. We were ready for permanence.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#21 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 AM

My sister was looking into the tubal option so I did some research and found this informative site a while back. PTS stands for post tubal syndrome. http://tubal.org/VGHPTS.htm Be fore warned there are graphic photos if you're sensitive to that kind of stuff. There are other sites if you google PTS. Here's a Quiz from the above site:

Tubal Ligation IQ test
http://tubal.org/IQtestQ.htm

1. Tubal ligation:
a. Is a form of permanent birth control.
b. Is labeled and promoted to women as a "band-aid" surgery.
c. In the US is in general always performed by an OB-GYN, ACOG doctor.
d. Carries risks which women are routinely not informed of at the time of consent.
e. All of the above

2. How many women have had a tubal ligation?
a. More than 1/2 of women age 25 or over
b. More then 1/4 of women aged 30 or over
c. More then 1/3 of women aged 18 or over

3. True or False:
There is no risk that Tubal Ligation altering your hormonal
system because it is not hormonal (as with the pill).

4. True or False:
Tubal Ligation is safe and without any known side effects
(expect for the very small risk of pregnancy).

5. True or False:
Having a tubal ligation can improve the condition of
endomeitionsis.

6. PTS stands for
a. Promote The Service
b. Profit The Surgeons
c. Post Tubal Syndrome
#22 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningminny View Post
I would never, ever consider tubal ligation. As well as the minimally invasive and fast recovery time for a vasectomy, I've also encountered many women who have had horrible post-tubal-ligation issues.

I'm not willing to risk it.
uh, yeah. I wish like crazy I had made DH get a vas once we found out the Essure didn't work. But I felt like it was my responsibility since I'm the one who would die if I had another kid.

I am still cramping, painfully, sometimes to the point where I cannot function, from my tubal. My doctor thinks the cramping is muscular and I think he's an idiot. It's been 3 months, the cramping should be gone by now. I am pissed and and trying to get in to see a female OB because maybe then someone will believe me when I tell them how much freaking pain I am in.

Yeah, I would not ever get a tubal again. Essure or vasectomy, or else no more sex ever again. Sheesh.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#23 of 25 Old 11-19-2009, 08:26 PM

I really believe that anything you believe is going to happen, will. People who aren't having problems don't talk about it as much as people who are. Personally, the cramps and bleeding et al got worse after having a baby. I felt like I was in labor! After thermal ablasion and having my tubes tied that went away. I think it's the insane hormanal changes involved in pregnancy that makes the difference not a surgical procedure. It's a fact that as women age bleeding gets worse. With that, cramping. That has nothing to do with the actual surgery. I do know after my first son was born I couldn't even wear a tampon and needed to stay very close to a toilet, preferably at home, while having my period. Every cramp felt like I was going to give birth.
#24 of 25 Old 11-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Well I'm actually considering a tubal ligation AND the ablation, because I'm definitely having a c/s (no one in town will do a vba2c) and want to get the tubal while I'm open. But also, my grandmother got pregnant after her tubal, and as fertile as I am, I can see that happening to me. I just need to talk with my doctor about doing the ablation after 3 c/s.
#25 of 25 Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 AM

I only had one C-section, but I think they'll still do an ablation for you Dolphin, just maybe not at the same time as the tubal. I had my tubal in August and want to have the ablation next month (maybe, I'm still freaking about not being able to have babies and debating whether or not do really take this last final step.) Anyway, I went in for a consult and they just do an ultrasound and look at your uterus and then they take a tissue sample, which hurts like hell.

I didn't know women bled more as they age. That sucks. Really sucks. Bummer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page