Why is my Period late...and I have the IUD?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

I have had the Nova T copper iud (3 year one) inserted last year. So far my cycles have been very short every 17 days and a few days before the real AF comes in i get a little spotting. I am also nursing my 1 year old quite often especially throughout the night and now I and am scared b/c AF hasn't come in for more than 3 days and i am spotting. I have also been very stressed lately so I don't know if that is the reason for my cycle coming in so late. I know my iud is in place b/c i felt the strings.

I hope i am not pregnant..but i hope the chances of becoming pregnant with an IUD is very very rare....

THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 03:39 AM

Not to alarm you, but. . .a few years ago I got pregnant with a copper IUD in place properly, and it was an ectopic pregnancy which partially ruptured. I was very busy with school at the time and didn't really realize how late I was, plus I had a few days of spotting which I mistakenly assumed was my period. Please get checked out if it doesn't come soon - ectopic pregnancies are more common with IUD's, and they can be very serious for your health ; and sad). Severe cramping is generally the first sign.

I lost a fallopian tube and a 7 week old fetus (they couldn't "find" the fetus for over a week after the first rupture and I had to wait, risking another rupture, for it to grow big enough to show up on the ultrasound, though I was lucky to not bleed to death during the initial rupture and lucky to keep my ovary (the pregnancy was attached right under it). It was a scary and very painful experience, but I have gotten pregnant and carried a healthy baby to full term afterwards, with much joy and relief! :

Hope all is well with you, sorry to be a downer, just wanted to share my story in case it might help you or someone else. . .imho copper IUD's are not to be trusted completely. I will never have any IUD in me after all that, actually. Dh just got a vasectomy, now that we're "done".
Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

So what r my options if they pull the iud now...then is it safe? What is a ecoptic pregnancy..how will i know i have one..i do have some cramping and slight bleeding does this usually result in a miscarriage? I am really not ready to have another baby...i am quite shocked that i am even preggo...i thought i was safe with the iud.

If i can feel the iud strings is that a pretty good sign that everything is okay or not okay? Also, if they remove the iud does it usually abort the fetus.

I have been feverish lately and slight cramping but no heavy red blood yet and i know i am preggo..period is late for 4 days..and i usually have mine on time.

please share your suggestions i am in need of help.

thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 02:18 PM

They can remove an IUD without harming a fetus, though it is definitely something a doctor must do (don't try it by yourself!). Many women get pregnant with an IUD in place and can continue the pregnancy to term with no harm to the fetus. If you are pregnant you need to find out what your options are and decide what your best choice is.

An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy in the fallopian tube - it cannot develop to term, and can result in the rupture of the tube and severe, sudden internal bleeding. This is an emergency and potentially life threatening. If you are experiencing severe cramping and bleeding you should seek medical advice ASAP to rule out this possibility.

Good luck!

User Tag List