If you've ever had a depo shot ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2009, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... how long did it take for your body to get back to normal when you stopped getting them?

I had one about three months ago as a sort of a "what's the harm" placeholder birth control method while I thought over other options. And now that I've had a three month long period for the effort, well, I'd kind of just like to know if there's a normal range of time in which to expect its effects to be fully out of my system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 04:54 AM

It took a year before my body began ovulating again and only because I took a months worth of BCP's to get it back on track.

Depo realllllly messed my body up.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:42 AM

I had one shot and it took three months from the time I should have had the next one for my body to try to ovulate.Four months was when I ovulated but I still didn't get pregnant until almost a year after that one shot,I was actually going to ask for help but tested +the night before.Talking to some of my post Depo friends the unscientific real life average could be as long as 18 months or even longer or as short as 3 months usually with a BCP jump start.It also increases chances of ectopics the first time post but that is again not official.
Depo is bad medicine and really shouldn't be given so freely.Good luck coming off of it,that was a roller coaster.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

Old 06-13-2009, 10:54 AM

I had two depo shots. Each time, I didn't have a period for 6 weeks, then I had a period for 6 weeks straight. I'm trying to remember how long after it took, but I can't remember (so it couldn't have been too bad. I believe I went on the pill soon after so that probably helped regulate me.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:37 PM

I had the Depo shot right after my miscarriage in Oct. 2001. I got pregant with DD2 in Sep. 2002. My cycles didn't really become regular until around June or July 2002. Like the OP, I bled/spotted for many months (I know at least six!)

I hated Depo! I recommend against it!!! :

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:40 PM

I did for about a year in college. Took 3 mo after the last one should have "worn off" to be back to normal. I think age and regularity before depo plays a big role though.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 06-13-2009, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It took about 1.5 years before I had a period again after my last shot. Then for the next 2-3 years after that they were very sporadic, it took about 5 years for me to have normal cycles again.

And 10 years for me to get off (most ) of the 100 lbs I put on in the 2 years on the shot, and I've never recovered from some of the neurological side effects. Evil stuff.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 06-14-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
Depo realllllly messed my body up.
This.
I had 2 shots of it because they said on the second my nonstop bleeding would stop. I bled so badly on it I was anemic. It took a good 6 mos for the spotting to stop and a good year for my cycles to become regular again with the help of Provera.

Finding out about possible bone loss after the fact was just icing on the cake

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

Old 06-14-2009, 11:42 AM

I don't think I ever returned to normal. Depo is evil.

hh2.gif

Old 06-14-2009, 11:51 AM

All I know is my two sisters were on depo - and they both gained a bunch of weight.

I was never on depo because of this, and to this day I am the only one who doesn't struggle with my weight. AND I've even had two kids in two years!!

So yeah, I warn EVERYONE away from that evil shot!!!

Have you noticed on these posts how no one says they like it? On every other HBC there are those that don't like and those that do - with Depo, where is anyone who likes it????? WHY do they still give that shot? Unbelievable

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 06-14-2009, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If depo has caused continuous bleeding you need to go back to your doctor. They can give you something to stop the long period. I had a friend who had to do so.

I was on Depo for a year before having kids. It took six months to get my period after when the next shot would have been due (so 9 months after the last shot) and it took us 15 months (from when next shot would have been due, 18 months from last shot) to get pregnant again. But I'm one of those people who had mabey only two periods the whole time I was on Depo and I was on it for a year.

I did have one friend who had one long period on Depo and after a month went back into her doctor and they were able to give her something to stop the bleeding.

I will say I liked it for birth control when I used it. I was informed of the side effects such as bone loss (took a calcium supplement), taking a while to get pregnant and possible weight gain (which wasn't a problem for me) before I got the shot. I enjoyed few side effects and it was effective. However, I warn lots of people that Depo seems to be a love it or hate it form of BC. Your body either does well on it and you love the convince or you have side effects and those side effects are bad and you hate it. I just think that we do need to do a better job, in this and other forms of BC, of making sure people are getting the information and making informed decisions.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Old 06-14-2009, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post
However, I warn lots of people that Depo seems to be a love it or hate it form of BC.
Most BC is either love it or hate it ... depo seems more love it or absolutely despise it. Mostly, I think, because unlike most other forms of BC, if you hate it you can't immediately just stop using it.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:37 PM

I only had the shot once. I bled for three months but it was basically spotting. But it was my wedding and honeymoon that I spotted.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I ran a support group for women coming off of Depo several years ago and have heard some horrific stories. Mine seemed quite tame in comparison. I only had it one time and had no periods the whole time and gained weight. Then I had one really bad period when it started wearing off. My cycles after that seemed normal enough for me (which is not really normal at all) but I couldn't say whether or not I was ovulating. It took me 19 months after that to get pregnant.

Quote:
well, I'd kind of just like to know if there's a normal range of time in which to expect its effects to be fully out of my system.
I believe I've read 18 months, but I don't remember for certain. If it were me, I would speak to the prescribing doctor and also start looking for alternative methods of helping my body heal. With that much bleeding, your iron levels could be pretty shot as well.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Yep, this is me too. It is teh evil.

I was on it for all of 3 months, maybe 4 before I came off of it because it was literally wreaking havoc on my emotions. It STILL took me a year to get back to "normal", and even then, my cycles to this day are still wonky.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:29 AM

I thought I would love being 'sure' I was safe. Turned out I worried anyways...

I can't remember how long it took to be fertile again. After several months I got on the Pill. Once I quit the Pill, it took a little while longer (no more than a month+/give or take) till I was ovulating.

I have a healthy baby boy now, but boy am I glad I quit Depo while I was young!

That stuff is E.V.I.L. Oh, and I gained 5+ pounds with each shot. And the doctor swore up and down it couldn't be the shot. And it made me depressed and killed my libido. Good stuff.

Not bitter though... lol. :

To the OP - I would consider taking a round or two of the Pill to get things back on track. But definitely see a doctor about that.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 AM

Depo is the devil. I pretty much had an emotional breakdown right after I got the shot, and it killed any trace of my libido the entire time I was on it. Having an orgasm was literally impossible. I found out later that the depo shot is used chemically castrate sex offenders.
I had no period for six weeks, spotted for six weeks, and it took months for my cycle to regulate itself.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 AM

this is really really bad stuff.

i was given it by planned parenthood, and when i filled out the intake sheet asking for any pre-existing conditions i may have, i truthfully answered no to every single one, except the one about having a history of psychological issues.

when i was "counseled" about recieving the drug, the nurse went through all of the questions again, verbally, EXCEPT THAT ONE.

i have been hospitalized for severe depression. Depo is contraindicated in people with a history of depression. i didn't know this until i looked it up on the internet a month later when i realized that i was being a horrendous bitch to my boyfriend constantly.

i'm nearing the end of month three, thankfully, but in that time i've gained ten pounds and sprained my foot (which i partially blame on bone loss, due to the fact that i've never ever broken or sprained anything in my life before now.) i've also had spotting every day since i got the shot.

does the weight gain continue after the three months? i've always struggled with my weight, and losing again is making me feel really awful.

photosmile2.gifcavale treehugger.gif*wannabe radical doula*
*plotting with sammodifiedartist.gif until we have our own little ones*
planning to TTC in May '11 (just in time for my birthday!)
Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 AM

I was on depot in the 90's and I really liked it. I gained a little weight but I started out at 96 lbs so I could have used it. I think my period came back within 6 months. It wasn't 3-4 months after the last shots, but it wasn't a year. I had no trouble getting pregnant with my first kid many years after going off the depot. My weight melted off after I discontinued the depot. I remember thinking how I was doing the same things I'd always been doing but the weight was going away. It did depress my libido though and I remember THAT coming back, too, to my disappointment since there was a reason I discontinued the shots!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 AM

I took Depo regularly for about 7 years, from age 24-31. For the 1st three months I bleed sprodically & hated it. My doc at the time convinced me to perservere, and it worked great for me after that.

After I stopped at age 31-ish I used NFP/charting for 2 years. It took almost exactly 12 months for my periods to return to normal (normal being 30-odd days). For that 1st six months I had no periods at all. In the 2nd six months it got back to normal.

Then I made a (ahem) mistake with my charting, and in a heat of passion with DP got preggo. Unfortunately I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks.

That was 6 months ago (I'm 34 now). I haven't taken any birth control since, and periods are back to 30-odd days.

Did'ya follow all that?

Upshot is, Depo really did work well for me in the long run. After so many years on it, it doesn't "seem" to have had any lasting effects.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:02 AM

hi liquesce,
i'm an NP and i generally tell my patients depo is not a good method for them if they're planning on pregnancy in the next 2 years, since it can take up to 18 months for regular cycles to return. of course, some people's cycles return a lot more quickly. but a year and a half is possible!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I took it for... a year? two? When I was 18-20 I think. I didn't even spot from the first one till the last, and got normal periods right when I was due for my first missed shot. I don't know if I ovulated because I didn't know how to tell that until years later.

I have been on 3 chemical methods of BC and always clock regular before and after. I am lucky there I guess.

BUT. Depo is evil. I had no sex drive, and it was physically impossible to get aroused. Same with any chemical BC I took but way worse on depo. Plus, it greatly worsened my underlying anxiety and depression. And I gained a ton of weight.

I can't take chemical birth control, and haven't in years. In general, I have trouble with most medications and so I avoid taking anything, but my problem with Depo is a common one so I wouldn't reccommend it.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 PM

OMG, I'm so not the only one with the "depo is evil" thought.

I had the weight gain (which is SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN as a side effect btw--I think it was an average of 11 pounds), and lost all shred of libido. Which was highly active before. Sigh.

I'd say I was nearly back to normal about 13 months after. However, I still waited a long time to have kids after that even.

My sister had a HUGE amount of issues with it too. She wound up having complications involving her endocrine system and thyroid. She went on natural progesterone and was able to get things back in order.

Supposedly after pregnancy your body is 'reset' as well.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post
All I know is my two sisters were on depo - and they both gained a bunch of weight.

I was never on depo because of this, and to this day I am the only one who doesn't struggle with my weight. AND I've even had two kids in two years!!

So yeah, I warn EVERYONE away from that evil shot!!!

Have you noticed on these posts how no one says they like it? On every other HBC there are those that don't like and those that do - with Depo, where is anyone who likes it????? WHY do they still give that shot? Unbelievable
I hate to be the one, but I have to say I did like it. Please don't flame me. I know it doesn't work well for a lot of people, but I was on it for 5 years (which is not recommended); did not have periods, no cramping, no weight gain, no side effects whatsoever. I got my last shot in Dec. '07 and got pregnant in May '08. THIS MAY NOT BE YOUR EXPERIENCE. I don't, however, plan to get another shot any time soon as I am nearing 30 and want more children in the next couple years.

So that's my 2 cents.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2two babes View Post
This.
I had 2 shots of it because they said on the second my nonstop bleeding would stop. I bled so badly on it I was anemic. It took a good 6 mos for the spotting to stop and a good year for my cycles to become regular again with the help of Provera.

Finding out about possible bone loss after the fact was just icing on the cake
nak

this is similar to my exp as well.

also, do not ttc before 1 year after being on depo. it alters your eggs and a high incidence of conceiving a down syndrome baby is just one of the "side effects". i know because my cousin has a DS dd who is now 9 yo.

she did tons of research on it and, i can't remember exactly, but i believe she said the depo insert even mentioned this info.

my other cousin took depo for 6 years and it took 4 years plus fertility treatments to conceive again.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:53 PM

I was on it the first time for a little over 4years no af at all during : but when I went off my body had forgotten how to O and when I did I got pg and lost that pg due to the lining of my uterus not being healthy

I stopped O again and tried progesterone to jump start things but that didnt work so had to take clomid had another m/c while on the clomid.

Finally started oing again after that m/c and got pg.

It took a total of 2 years the first time and 2 years the second. Went back on it when dd was 3 weeks old. Thankfully no m/c before ds.

Some woman's bodies forget how to cycle because of it and help is needed to get it going again.

Depo was my only choice for bc and I did love the fact that it made af go away but hated ttc after it.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 07-31-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
: sadly

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:15 AM

Mac I love the second line of your sig!!!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 08-01-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
It took about 1.5 years before I had a period again after my last shot. Then for the next 2-3 years after that they were very sporadic, it took about 5 years for me to have normal cycles again.

And 10 years for me to get off (most ) of the 100 lbs I put on in the 2 years on the shot, and I've never recovered from some of the neurological side effects. Evil stuff.
my story exactly! just add in the miscarriage it caused too. my cycles were nomal after that loss.

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:58 AM

So have any of you actually managed to have an orgasm while on Depo? Because I absolutely could not.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

User Tag List