Paragard IUD consistant month long cramping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I constantly get mild, month long cramping that feels like PMS cramping. Does anyone else have this? This IUD is freaking me out that it is effecting my future fertility.
#2 of 15 Old 06-28-2009, 12:14 AM

omg me too. although sometimes it gets bad though- one time I went to patient first because it woke me up! It's really weird because it just comes and goes, beore, during, and after my period.
#3 of 15 Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 PM

I had that for the first month after insertion, then sometimes randomly after that. I just had mine taken out because I could always feel it there, just barely.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#4 of 15 Old 07-19-2009, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

i am getting this thing out of my body ASAP. I cannot explain, but I feel like it is affecting me. Not just the cramps, but I feel really bloated and achy and have no motivation for exercise, I cannot understand it.

Plus, each period is so strange. A couple days of spotting then bleeding like a faucet. I never had hard or long periods before this. I am done.
#5 of 15 Old 07-20-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1008 View Post
i am getting this thing out of my body ASAP. I cannot explain, but I feel like it is affecting me. Not just the cramps, but I feel really bloated and achy and have no motivation for exercise, I cannot understand it.

Plus, each period is so strange. A couple days of spotting then bleeding like a faucet. I never had hard or long periods before this. I am done.
I had mine out a couple weeks ago and I feel so much better! I can't explain, but there was just something yucky and creepy about having that thing inside of me. IUDs are such a good idea in theory....not so much in practice.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#6 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 06:26 PM

I wish I could take out my iud. but there's no other bc for my family.
So far no bc, withdrawal, condoms, hormonal, and diapraghms are all out for various reasons. next stop is tying or snipping things which really bothers me, and abstaining. um yeah, no thanks. lol

.... if i could rant for a second it really upsets me that there's nothing like this for dh... i hate having a foreign matter chillin inside of me and causing me to have month long cramping... on and off and varying in severity. Can't wait until dec to reevaluate. We said we'd give it a year to see if my body just needed to get used to it. Right now I'm having these random aches in the same spot as it has been- sometimes it feels like its poking my uterine wall or something... ::::

ok sorry i just have no one to talk to about this.
#7 of 15 Old 07-25-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoulunbound View Post
I wish I could take out my iud. but there's no other bc for my family.
So far no bc, withdrawal, condoms, hormonal, and diapraghms are all out for various reasons. next stop is tying or snipping things which really bothers me, and abstaining. um yeah, no thanks. lol

.... if i could rant for a second it really upsets me that there's nothing like this for dh... i hate having a foreign matter chillin inside of me and causing me to have month long cramping... on and off and varying in severity. Can't wait until dec to reevaluate. We said we'd give it a year to see if my body just needed to get used to it. Right now I'm having these random aches in the same spot as it has been- sometimes it feels like its poking my uterine wall or something... ::::

ok sorry i just have no one to talk to about this.
I know, right? It's like our choices are between "bad" and "worse" sometimes. This reminds me of a great spoof ad for a male contraceptive (quoted on pg. 12 in the book "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler) that describes a new device with side effects for a male that are similar to a female IUD. It's depressing to read because it is hard to picture a man choosing this method, yet women deal with these potential side effects every day. (And it's not like all men would be unwilling to take more responsibility; my DH certainly would, but there just aren't many good, easily reversible options yet. )

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#8 of 15 Old 09-14-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

*****UPDATE

I ended up in the ER with severe cramping and bleeding and exhaustion. The doctor said my cervix was swollen and my body was rejecting the Paragard. He took it out and within hours, my heavy bleeding stopped and it has taken almost two months for the cramping to subside. Those copper IUD's are scary, scary things, I am so worried I permanently damaged my body! I regret getting it, really. I cannot understand how there are not more safe non-hormonal methods out there that do not require placing a metal rod in your uterus! If men had to be the ones on birth control, I bet there would be some amazing new technology out there
#9 of 15 Old 09-16-2009, 07:30 PM

I previously took ortho tricyclen lo, which i couldn't handle, and then got my paragard just days before I got married to DH. Bleeding like a faucet is an understatement, almost...I never had periods like this. This period, my bleeding wasn't as bad, but the pain was so intense (and still is at this moment!) I took a pregnancy test just to make sure I didn't have a random ectopic pregnancy that I still bled through.

The part that scares me about my paragard is that when I have food (poop) passing through my intestines by my uterus (pressing up against), I get the most intense stabbing pain I've ever felt. I literally double over and cry out. I'm just so afraid that I'm building up scar tissue that will affect my future fertility, which I desperately want to preserve. Does anyone else experience anything like this? Please PM me. I just don't know what to do anymore, because hormones wreak havoc on my body and my husband and I know about 3 couples currently pregnant because of condom failure. I've had the paragard 8 months. 8 painful, anemic months.
#10 of 15 Old 11-23-2009, 12:03 AM

I am sorry to hear that you ladies have not had great results with the ParaGard. I had mine placed three months ago and it has been just wonderful for me. I have only had one cycle during the three months and while it was a little heavier, it only last 4 days. That was actually the week that I had it placed. The first two weeks I was sore and could sense that it was there, not a painful experience, but just a feeling. Since then the only time that I can feel it is if I increase the weights or my workout routine. After a day I go back to almost forgetting that it is in there. I have not had any children so I was worried that my body would reject it (the chances are higher for those who haven't had children) but so far it has been a great experience for me.
#11 of 15 Old 11-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStarlet View Post
I am sorry to hear that you ladies have not had great results with the ParaGard. I had mine placed three months ago and it has been just wonderful for me. I have only had one cycle during the three months and while it was a little heavier, it only last 4 days. That was actually the week that I had it placed. The first two weeks I was sore and could sense that it was there, not a painful experience, but just a feeling. Since then the only time that I can feel it is if I increase the weights or my workout routine. After a day I go back to almost forgetting that it is in there. I have not had any children so I was worried that my body would reject it (the chances are higher for those who haven't had children) but so far it has been a great experience for me.
I'm having a good experience with mine too. I'm having light spotting about four days before my period is due, but no bad cramping.
It seems like some people love their IUDs and some have really bad experiences. I can't do any kind of hormonal birth control, so my options are pretty limited.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#12 of 15 Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM

Hey Ladies!  I just got my Paragard IUD yesterday.  I almost passed out in the waiting room (I guess that is somewhat common?) and had some cramping as well.  Light bleeding yesterday.  Today, i'm still light headed but did get thru about 25 min of my workout this morn.  I can totally tell it is inside my uterus and am having some crapming, which concerns me.  I am also feeling bloated along with the cramping. But my main concerns is I am still a bit dizzy and light headed.  Has anyone else experienced the light-headedness? 

Gosh, I really hope my body adapts and am glad there are ladies with positive experiences, too.  thumb.gif  More to come as days progress...

#13 of 15 Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM

I just got my Paragard removed after about 7 months, because the cramping during periods was just continuous and out of this world painful! And then I would remain sore/crampy down there the rest of the month as well. It just always felt like something was IN there (which obviously, something was!) I was really disappointed because I had Paragard for about a year prior to having children and it was wonderful...never felt a thing, period cramps were maybe a tad stronger than they were before I had it put it, but nothing crazy! I am sad that I am going to have to resort to the more labor intensive NFP because I do not want anything to do with hormonal BC. Oh well!

#14 of 15 Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 PM

Hello! I am not sure if anyone is reading these anymore but I thought I would share my story. 

I have a history of fibroids and cysts (28 years old) and have surgery to remove a fibroid the size of a grapefruit (that grew while i had the copper iud in!)  I went on the pill after this surgery for a couple of years, still had cysts here and there but they dissolved. 

Stupidly decided to get a copper iud again in November, 2013. It was a horrific experience, worse than the first time. Very nearly fainted. Since the insertion 4 months ago, I experience constant pressure/dull ache throughout my cycle. It hurts sometimes to put a tampon in, and always hurts during intercourse. I believe my cervix is possibly inflamed? 

Since the insertion, I've had bouts of bladder infections and a never ending yeast infection, that I think has finally subsided. The past week my ovaries send sharp intermittment pains and a dull ache all day.  I also have a bit of spotting mid cycle, which I attribute to ovulation perhaps?

I feel tired, dizzy, bloated, bowel issues...anyone else have this?

The list goes on and on. I chose this also because the pill greatly decreased my libido...well what is the point if I am in pain now?????

To complicate matters worse, a year ago I had a "very slightly abnormal pap" (first in my life) - 6 months later the follow up was clear and I am due for another follow up this week . . . I am freaking out that I have cervical cancer or something. :(

#15 of 15 Old 04-17-2014, 07:16 AM

I am so glad I'm not the only one with the constant cramps.  I have had dull cramps on and off ever since I had my Paragard put in.  I wouldn't say I'm having a bad experience with it, but I didn't expect to be able to feel it the way I am.  I have just gotten used to having a dull ache all the time.  A couple of months after insertion, I ended up in the ER because I had such a sharp pain I couldn't even walk or drive.  They could never figure out what it was, but I think it was my body trying to get rid of it.  I'm trying to stick it out for a year, its been about 7 months and seems to be getting better.  This is my last option.  I cannot take any hormones but I want kids in the next couple of years.  I wish they would come out with some better options.  Seems you just have to pick the lesser of two evils.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page