Talk to me about IUDs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to work this out well in advance.
I am not completely sure that I want DH to go for a vas after this baby is born.
I also don't want to use anything that might affect my milk supply.
TIA

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#2 of 9 Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM

I had a paragaurd IUD put in right after my youngest was born, b/c I was unsure if I ever wanted more babies. I really liked my IUD, I had it for 6 years, no problems.
Since I was breastfeeding, I didnt get any "heavy" periods like you hear about with the IUD. By the time I weaned and had PP AF, my body was used to it and I felt the same as I always did.

I would highly recommend the copper IUD.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#3 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 AM

What about barrier methods like condoms or diaphragm? I had an IUD and it was horrible. Although, I've never given birth and that can cause it to be more painful.
#4 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 12:34 AM
2xy

Another bad experience with an IUD here. Like the previous poster, I'd never given birth, either. The insertion was horrible. I had extremely heavy periods every month (like, going through a super tampon in 45 minutes). Something about the copper or the heavy bleeding was creating an environment where I was dealing with bacterial vaginosis after every period, and I'd never had BV before having an IUD.

Then, when I decided to take it out, the "string" had slipped up inside my cervix and couldn't be reached even with ultrasound guidance and hemostats. I had to go to the OR, be put under general anesthesia, and have my cervix dilated to get the thing out.

I had friends who used the same type of IUD and loved it.
#5 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 02:39 PM

I have paragard - love it. No kids though yet, insertion wasn't that bad. (well, it hurt like h*** but was over fast and totally worth it). Yes, heavy periods (I empty my cup every hour for the first day or so it seems) but come on, hormonal free reversible birth control!? That's what I'm talkin about!!! I def recommend. PM me if you have questions!
#6 of 9 Old 07-02-2009, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prone_to_wander View Post
What about barrier methods like condoms or diaphragm? I had an IUD and it was horrible. Although, I've never given birth and that can cause it to be more painful.
We have not had much luck with various forms of BC over the years.
I did not want an IUD earlier becasue I have some issues with my cervix and did not want to cause any additional damage.
DH is willing to get a vas but I am a bit scared of something so permanent.
A IUD seems to be the only compromise.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#7 of 9 Old 07-07-2009, 04:13 PM

We wanted something reversible and non-hormonal, so I opted for the IUD. I'm so, so happy with it. My periods are heavier (but how much heavier than "normal" I don't know, since I was on the pill for so long and my periods were almost nonexistent.) I love the fact that I still ovulate, because it helps with my sex drive, which was affected by pregnancy and breastfeeding, and it is nice to feel more like my cycle is my own again. The insertion was over quickly, and since then I don't have to do anything to worry about bc, at all, ever. Totally worth it!
#8 of 9 Old 07-10-2009, 09:47 PM
TLK

We have been using NFP (CREIGHTON MODEL FertilityCare™ System) and even though it was a bit challenging to learn while breastfeeding for me, everything is great now.
We wanted something 100% natural- can't beat it!
#9 of 9 Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 PM

I had the Mirena in after my son was born and I had it taken out after a few months. Not so much the common side effects but it hurt around my ovaries a lot.

Not such a fan of putting things in the body now.

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page