Need Info on IUD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 01-27-2004, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please if any of you have used the IUD can you give me some info? I have an appointment at a family planning clinic in a few weeks and can not figure out what kind of BC I want to use. My dh is pretty open, but I refuse to use hormonal bc at all so I was thinking maybe the copper IUD. How is it inserted? Any info / advice would be much appreciated. TIA.
#2 of 30 Old 01-28-2004, 01:40 AM

hello! i'm an np in an ob/gyn office and i insert IUD's. It's usually a relatively easy procedure with only mild cramping and possibly some bleeding. It all depends on how "easy" it is to get it in. If you have had children before, esp. vaginal birth, then it should be pretty easy. The 'hard' part is getting the IUD through the cervix. That's why having had a vaginal delivery helps - the cervical os is now more 'open' than before. best time to insert it is within 5 days of your period since #1 - you KNOW you're not pregnant and #2 - your cervical os is more open from bleeding. worst complication, although incredibly rare (i think less than 1%) is the IUD could perforate the uterus. this is a big 'woops' and a medical emergency! again, very rare!!!! for the most part they are very easy to put in and even easier to take out. the copper IUD is good for 10 years. biggest complaint i've heard with it is your periods may become heavier and crampier in time. usually takes a year or two for you to notice a difference. they are highly effective though and many patients LOVE their IUD. my only recommendation is if you do decide to have one inserted: make sure you find someone that knows what the heck they're doing (i.e. they've done lots of them). this isn't the kind of thing you want screwed up! hope this post doesn't scare you, just wanted to give you all the pros and cons! let me know if you have any other questions.

jodi, mom to joseph 3-31-02
#3 of 30 Old 02-02-2004, 02:01 PM

I used an IUD for about 6 years and did not have any significant problems. AT the time I had it inserted they strongly recommended I use a alternitive BC if I ever wanted to get pregnant because of some known problems with IUD and PID and tubal problems. Well, at the time I was young and naive and didn't think it applied to me. Long story short, when I did have it removed and decided to attempt pregnancy, I had problems. I had a tubal pregnancy and have been told I likely have scarring in that tube now and have 50/50 chance of successful pg (depending which tube the egg travels through). THe OB feels this was caused by the IUD. I did get pregnant, and am planing another but not looking forward to the "roullette" game I will play hoping that the pregnancy is successful and the good tube is where the pregnancy occurs. It was very depresssing to have a tubal; and lose the pregnancy. I do not want to go through it again. My only suggestion to you is to do good independent research on the issue before you make final decision. I also know personally one person who became pg with IUD.
#4 of 30 Old 02-02-2004, 02:56 PM

I had one and absolutely loved it but unfortuately, it came out! This is very rare.

I would have another one in a heartbeat, and probably will after my baby is born.

Tamara
#5 of 30 Old 02-02-2004, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone!! You've been very helpful to me. I think at this point I'm going to hold off on the IUD..... It appeals more to me than hormonal methods, but obviosly has it's drawbacks too. i wish there were an easy answer to birth control, but that is life!! For now we are going to continue using condoms while I i look into Natural Family Planning more. We definetley want more kids, but we want to wait a few years before the next one.

Again, thanks to you all for your help. It was great to see both sides too -- thanks Jody for your professional insight.
#6 of 30 Old 02-12-2004, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
#7 of 30 Old 02-24-2004, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just wanted to say that I have always preferred barrier methods (diaphragm, condom, cervical cap, foam, jelly, female condom) even though they may be inconvenient, they leave you "in the driver's seat", so to say; this is, you are in control of your fertility and you do not have to worry about the side effects of hormones or scarring because of a foreign device put in your body.

IOW, the side effects for your future fertility are minimized and the side effects for your future health are also lowered.

JMHO.

Now, I will leave.

#8 of 30 Old 02-24-2004, 06:16 PM

Hey Punk

I had an IUD for a little over a year after I had my son. It was fine on insertion and removal and did it's job at preventing pregnancy. I did notice more cramping as time went on, but other than that it was fine. My problem was in my head.

I couldn't get over think that I could still get pregnant with it in and maybe what if it messed up my uterus, even though I KNEW the chances were very minute. I had to get mine out for peace of mind.

I'm currently on the pill and hating it. I was on it for 5 years before I got pg and never had a problem. After the IUD, I decided to get back on it and I thought it would be just as easy. I am always forgetting it and I have out of control PMDD which I believe is related to the hormones in the pill. I am starting to take some flaxoil, bcomplex, and calcium/magnesium supplements to see if it's really the hormones of if it's because I do not eat right!:

Anyway, I, too am interested in Natural family planning, I am looking forward to gettingsome good info off of these boards Good luck!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#9 of 30 Old 02-24-2004, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies!! I really appreciate hearing from other mamas.

Applejuice, what does IOW mean?

QUOTE:
I couldn't get over think that I could still get pregnant with it in and maybe what if it messed up my uterus, even though I KNEW the chances were very minute. I had to get mine out for peace of mind.

BEX80- I know what you mean. I think this is part of the problem I would have too. Like applejuice has said, with barrier methods you don't have to worry about that. I tried the pill after my dd was born (I had taken it for about three years previously) and it made me crazy. I had huge mood swings... I hated it. I haven't found anything yet that I love, so sticking with condoms for now. Someday I'm going to learn enough to feel comfortable with NFP 100% and then dh and I both will be happy
#10 of 30 Old 02-24-2004, 10:36 PM

My sister just got an IUD and has had to return to the Dr. at least once for pain and nausea. We use Natural Family Planning and it is FANTASTIC! We use the sympto-thermal method(as effective as the pill) taught by the Couple to Couple League. You can take a correspondence course if there are no teachers in your area. Also, a lot of Catholic diocesan family life offices offer the classes(for about the price of 1-3 months of the pill) Using this method(which incorporates breastfeeding) our first two children are 3 years apart, and when this one is born(planned!) our younger will be 2 and 1/2. We've been using this method for five years and are really happy with it.

Added bonus: intimacy after the short abstinence is often VERY romantic and passionate.

Extra added bonus: I am very familiar with my personal health and when used to achieve pregnancy you can get a more accurate due date than when you use the first day of last period method. Good luck!
#11 of 30 Old 03-01-2004, 09:17 PM

After the birth of my second son, I had an IUD placed, kept it for a little over 4 years without any complications. I had it removed and conceived my now 20 month old son within a month. I had another IUD placed when he was about 8 weeks old, again no complications. I LOVE my IUD and would get another one in a heartbeat!

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#12 of 30 Old 03-02-2004, 06:31 PM

I had an IUD put in after dd was born and I hated it. It was uncomfortable from day one. I always had that feeling like when you have a tampon not in far enough. I finally had it taken out and found out that it didnt stay in place, but had gotten stuck into my cervix. Im glad it is out and wouldnt have another put in.
I know lots of people like them, but not with my experience
#13 of 30 Old 03-02-2004, 06:41 PM

Just a word on NFP...I think it definetly works great for some people, but you have to be honest about the type of person that you are. I am too lazy to do NFP. I was not into charting or putting enough thought into it. Hence, my 2 girls!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#14 of 30 Old 03-05-2004, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

bumping this up for Jessmcg
#15 of 30 Old 03-11-2004, 03:19 PM

I'd be concerned about copper toxcity. I'm not saying it would happen...it's just something I'd look into and research before getting.

I'm basically on the LAM but use condoms becasue I really cannot imagine having a third baby right now.
#16 of 30 Old 03-11-2004, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, good point Mary Beth.
#17 of 30 Old 03-19-2004, 04:57 PM

I think this has sorta become a dying topic, but I just found this forum so I'll put in my $.02.

I got the Mirena (hormonal) IUD after DD was born and I didn't like it at all. I could always feel the string and had to get it trimmed twice and still felt it. DH said he could feel it most of the time, too. I didn't like the idea that I had a forgien object in my body and I couldn't take it out. And, like somebody already mentioned, I was driving myself crazy wondering if I was actually pg or if my period just hadn't returned.

To make a long story short, I had it removed after four months and have been using NFP/FAM w/ a diapraghm(?) as back-up. I don't temp b/c I don't think I've sleep for three consecutive since before dd was born. I found Toni Welscher's book, "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" to be very helpful. I checked it out from my local library and read the whole thing in two days. It was so fascinating! I really like being able to predict my period and know what's going on the rest of the month.

Anyway, this has kind of turned into a ramble, but bottom line: I hated my IUD, I love NFP/FAM.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#18 of 30 Old 03-19-2004, 10:16 PM

The IUD's do not prevent conception. They prevent implantation. Something to keep in mind.
#19 of 30 Old 03-19-2004, 10:51 PM

I learned that after the fact, I wonder hom many I may have lost????

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#20 of 30 Old 03-19-2004, 11:16 PM

I had an IUD for about 5 years while in college. After unsuccessfully going through pretty much every other method (except NFP) I was thrilled with the IUD. I am now pregnant with my first and I intend to get another after this baby is born. My insertion was very painful and I believe this was because the doctor was not experienced with IUD insertions (live and learn). however, the removal was really quick with only cramps for about 30 seconds and my periods remained easy. dh would sometimes get poked by the string during sex in certain positions, but this was workable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jen123
The IUD's do not prevent conception. They prevent implantation. Something to keep in mind.
All the references I have found say that the mechanism of IUD contraception is not known for sure. Most of what I have read says the primary means of contraception is by making the uterine environment hostile to sperm so they can't move well or live long enough to fertilize the egg. On the very rare occassion that one gets through and conception actually occurs, i believe that the IUD does (mostly) prevent implantation, but this is the fallback method of contraception. One study showed there was no evidence that fertilization was ever occurring.

I completely respect that many people would not use the IUD if preventing implantation of a fertilized egg was even a slight possibility. I just have not seen any research that actually decisively shows that prevention of implantation is actually the means of contraception when using the IUD.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#21 of 30 Old 03-19-2004, 11:20 PM

"I completely respect that many people would not use the IUD if preventing implantation of a fertilized egg was even a slight possibility. "

Likewise I respect someone who wants to use it. I mentioned it because most women are unaware of that fact.

"I just have not seen any research that actually decisively shows that prevention of implantation is actually the means of contraception when using the IUD. "

And you won't. They couldn't sell them if they were known as abortifacients.
#22 of 30 Old 03-20-2004, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jen123
And you won't. They couldn't sell them if they were known as abortifacients.
Yes, I wouldn't expect the research to come directly from companies like Mirena, but I would certainly expect it to surface from other interest groups. The only third party study I found (and I'd have to really dig to reference it, I don't remember where it was) showed no evidence of fertilization.

I am aware that the IUD *may* function in part as an abortifacient, but I haven't seen any research that actually demonstrated this (and I've looked quite a bit out of curiosity).

#23 of 30 Old 03-21-2004, 01:23 PM

I don't know if this is a reason that you don't don't hear about them being abortifacients or not, but a pregnancy isn't medically deemed a pregnancy until implantation has occured.

My sister works for Planned Parenthood, and she said this is why the morning after pill says is doesn't help if you're already pregnant.

In other words, fertilzation may occur but no implantation- therefore, no pregnancy; medically speaking. Your personal opinion may differ as to when pregancy begins.

Just food for thought.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#24 of 30 Old 03-25-2004, 02:15 PM

ok, jumping on board hoping for some more input.........I posted on TAO but this seems more appropriate.......

I am thinking of getting an IUD as well.

I NEED birth control. I will not, cannot, and should not use NFP. It's not an option for us.

I HATE condoms. Another "not an option".

I'm having a baby in May that I'll be breastfeeding and I'm not going to rely on the breastfeeding because my fertility returned within a month of having my daughter regardless of my breastfeeding.

So my options are non estrogen b/c, a diaphragm, or an IUD. I would prefer no chemical inside me. I see women complaining about having a foreign object in them.......that doesn't bother me as much as chemicals in me does. I don't forsee that being an issue for me.

I think that the diaphragm would work for us, but I worry that we may slip here and there and, sorry to give TMI, but I worry my husband may hit it.....he's fairly big. So, I'd worry that would be uncomfortable for him.

My feelings are that if I have cramping or a bad fit with the IUD I can always get it taken out, but I really would like to try it.

If anyone has any other input on this, PLEASE share!!!!!!!
#25 of 30 Old 03-25-2004, 10:36 PM

As I told you on your other post, I my mirena IUD. I know you don't like chemicals, but I'll tell you the good side of it anyway (I'm quite stubborn )
-The hormone levels are a lot lower than those in the pill or mini-pill, so they almost don't get into the blood stream.
- The hormones prevent the heavy bleeding and cramping that usualy comes with an IUD, in fact, most women don't have periods anymore, and those who still have them say they experience less cramping than before, and that their period doesn't last as long and isn't as heavy as before.
- it is 99.9999999999999% effective (not the case with a regular IUD)
- it is safe when breastfeeding

It is more expensive than the copper IUD, but for me, it's all worth it.
I hope you find a good method for you
#26 of 30 Old 03-26-2004, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamangazelle
As I told you on your other post, I my mirena IUD. I know you don't like chemicals, but I'll tell you the good side of it anyway (I'm quite stubborn )
-The hormone levels are a lot lower than those in the pill or mini-pill, so they almost don't get into the blood stream.
- The hormones prevent the heavy bleeding and cramping that usualy comes with an IUD, in fact, most women don't have periods anymore, and those who still have them say they experience less cramping than before, and that their period doesn't last as long and isn't as heavy as before.
- it is 99.9999999999999% effective (not the case with a regular IUD)
- it is safe when breastfeeding

It is more expensive than the copper IUD, but for me, it's all worth it.
I hope you find a good method for you
I have to say I'm VERY VERY wary of using that one because I'm afraid that even the low level of estrogen will mess up my supply............

I know it's pretty new but I'm wondering if theres any evidence about this....

The main reason I dont want hormones is the baby but secondary, my whole family notices how much nicer I am when I'm NOT on the pill. So it makes me think that the hormones must really do a number on me............
#27 of 30 Old 03-26-2004, 07:57 AM

I use a diaphragm and I actually love it. I was really apprehensive at firt b/c I thought it would be annoying put it in everytime we wanted to have sex and I was worried dh would feel it b/c he always could feel my IUD strings. And I was also worried about it moving.

But, after 5 months I haven't had any problems. It's really easy to put in after the first few tries, like anything else you just have to get used to doing it. I've noticed (at least in my case) that if I can feel it, then it's in wrong. What I really like about it is that we get to choose when to use bc. Right now that's everytime, but when we ttc, I won't have to make a dr. appt. first. I guess I just like being the one in control of it. And I like that there's no hormones.

I also halfway use NFP; I only check my cf so I have a reasonably good idea of when I'm fertile. But we have still had sex during this time w/ the diaphragm and no oops. One more thing, and this is probably TMI, but you can even have sex during menstration w/ the diaphragm b/c it works as collector. I know you're probably not suppose to or maybe it's not recommended but we do almost every month.

So, there's my opinion on the diaphragm. HTH

Trish

#28 of 30 Old 03-27-2004, 05:16 PM

just to add in my experiences with the diaphragm:

i didn't mind having to put it in before sex and it was nice that you could plan ahead if you knew you'd be getting some later.

it turns out i'm allergic to spermicide which made it miserable. i had minor yeast infections monthly when i used the diaphragm. it actually started putting me off sex (which i really enjoy!).

as for dh - my iud strings would poke him but i don't think the diaphragm bothered him. i think the cervix kind of stops the penis before it hits the rim which is the hard part. however, when he would go in deep with the diaphragm it hurt me. i think it would get pushed up and cause that "ouch he's in my throat" kind of feeling.

i can't believe i used the diaphragm for 2+ years before getting the iud. in retrospect i can't believe i put up with it that long, but i really didn't know there were any good options that would work for me until i started doing research and found the copper T iud (which did not give me heavy bleeding and cramping).

#29 of 30 Old 03-28-2004, 06:50 PM

Just a word about bfing with the Merina. I've had the Merina for... gosh 18 months. It did not effect my supply at all! I tandem nursed my two for 16 months with it. When Gretchen (now 3 1/2) was nursing as often as Koen (now 1 1/2) I still had the supply of a nursing mother of twins! LOL Never mind my 'twins' were 20 months apart!

While I've loved my Merina in terms of having no side effects, extremely light af once it came back 15 mpp, and no pain or anything, I can not wait to get it out of me even though we're not ready for another baby! It's become a head thing.

Eva
WAHMama of 2 Sweeties
Gretchen 10-23-00
Koen 7-8-02

Eva- Navy Wife and mama to 3 amazing kiddos Gretchen 9, Koen 7, Charlotte 4, and 5 precious angels that will never be forgotten and 1 last surprise Boogy Baby due Aug 12.
#30 of 30 Old 03-29-2004, 12:21 PM

I had the copper t IUD for about 6 months and had a horrible experience with it. I had 10 day long VERY heavy periods. A girl who had hers inserted about the same time as I did had to have hers removed too because of 14 day long heavy periods. My mom had a bad experience with them too. It just seems like I know more people who have had negative experiences than positive ones. I was hoping to avoid the pill, but this just didn't work out. I was actually fine on the pill. I think that I'm going to go on the pill for the first year after this baby is born and then dh will have a vasectomy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page