Charting to Avoid, August 09 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bb ~ Like others have said, you should record the most fertile cf you have even if it's only once and it's just a tiny bit. If you have had a clear and sustained thermal shift (at least 3 consecutive temps above your CL) and complete cf dry up, you don't need to start the count over again. Sometimes you can get fertile looking cf mid-lp because of the mid-lp estrogen surge. However, if you have not had a clear and sustained thermal shift, you should assume you haven't Oed yet and are still potentially fertile. You can have fertile cf and not O several times in one cycle before actually Oing. That's why it's important, imo, to chart your bbt as well so you can know if/when you Oed.

Shannon ~ The cycle I got pg with Ethan I tested at 10dpo, which is 3 days before my AF would be due, because I had spotting that day. I had never had spotting during my lp or right before AF before that I could remember. After that I got the poas bug. I'm a poasoholic now. When ttc child #3, I started testing at 6-7dpo. I know that's usually way too early to expect a + but, believe it or not, I got a + at 7dpo with ds3 and with this last pg. One thing I have learned about myself is that I never spot during my lp when I'm not pg. I have been pg without the spotting but those have all ended in m/c. That's one reason I always had a worry from the beginning with my last pg.

As a general rule, they say you can get a + two days after implantation with an early detection test. Going by the average implantation day, 7dpo, that would mean 9dpo. However, I think it's less likely to get a first bfp then but more likely by 10dpo just based on what I've seen from my ttc days. However, once you start testing, if you really want to know for sure, you need to continue testing every day until you get a bfp or af shows because a bfn that early could just mean it's still too early to detect your pg. I hope that makes sense.

Lydiah ~ If there's no other explanation, I'd say the spotting was from your cervix being irritated. Intercourse can do that, so can checking your cf internally. Other than that, probably hormones but no telling what it really was. I'd be extra cautious and assume you are potentially fertile jic. BTW, 33-34 day cycles is within the norm. That's not really considered long. The "normal" 28-day cycle is a myth and actually quite unusual.

mom2all ~ Can you use LAM? If not, you can track your cf and use precaution whenever you have any cf other than your BIP. Do you know how to determine your BIP while bfing? You can surely temp as well but since you don't really have a start date you'll have to wait until you get at least 6 consecutive temps before you can start reading anything into them. In other words, you won't be able to establish a thermal shift until you have at least 6 consecutive temps to establish a possible CL.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Lydiah - you are coming off the mini-pill? In that case I change my vote. I say, that's just what happens when you come off hormones.

bbrandonsmom - You asked if fertile CF means you are fertile even if a few days past O. That depends on whether or not you know for sure that you've O'd. If you are temping and a very clear thermal shift, then you have O'd and no, the CF doesn't mean you are fertile. But if you aren't temping, then the way you determine O is by the CF you have. So if you have more CF after you thought you O'd, you have to assume that you haven't actually O'd yet and consider yourself fertile. Did that make sense?

AFM, I had more EW yesterday and this morning, and all of a sudden this evening I am dry as a bone, so who knows? There may still be a thermal shift tomorrow! Or my body could be taking the month off...

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 08-05-2009, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
Lydiah - you are coming off the mini-pill? In that case I change my vote. I say, that's just what happens when you come off hormones.

Even 6 weeks after? My cycles usually rebound nicely from stuff like this, As soon as I started my dd on solids at 6 months AF returned. I had three 33 day cycles until I went on the mini pill. When I came off the mini pill Af showed about 4 weeks later. I had fertile signs and post ovulation signs before AF. I guess this cycle will be my test cycle. I will definitley use back up the entire time until I have this charting/cycle buisiness figured out.

BTW thanks for all the advice ladies.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 AM

BFS-how are your temps looking?
I have a clear raise in temps, so going w/ that I did o already.Now that I'm temping that makes sense. It makes is so much easier, otherwise I'd still be guessing if I o'd or not.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
Even 6 weeks after? My cycles usually rebound nicely from stuff like this, As soon as I started my dd on solids at 6 months AF returned. I had three 33 day cycles until I went on the mini pill. When I came off the mini pill Af showed about 4 weeks later. I had fertile signs and post ovulation signs before AF. I guess this cycle will be my test cycle. I will definitley use back up the entire time until I have this charting/cycle buisiness figured out.

I don't know much about the mini-pill except that it is a bcp. Why is it called mini?

Anyway, I think it can take a while for your body to get back into gear after being on any kind of artificial or synthetic hormones even if you've been through this before and things went back to normal right away. Sometimes it can take months for your hormones to balance out after being on hormonal bc. Things change over time and with age as well as with specific events like pg and bfing. My body reacted differently every time I was pg and every PP phase.

BFS ~ Just because you haven't Oed yet doesn't mean you won't. I've Oed as late as cd45 before, I think. Not sure what cd you are on but it can happen at any time. I got pg with ds1 after going of bcps without having an af for 3 months.

AFM, it's been 8 more days of bleeding with one day of spotting on the 2nd day. When I called my OB to see if they'd got the chromosomal testing done I asked about the bleeding. The nurse said it was ok as long as it wasn't too heavy and didn't last longer than a normal period. Well, I think my periods usually only last 6-7 days at the longest. There doesn't seem to be any sign of this slowing down. I guess if I'm still bleeding on Monday I'll call them back and make an appointment. What a pain!

I can't decide whether to make this a new cycle or not. I keep switching it back and forth. I guess I should leave it.

Oh, to whomever asked about temps dropping to indicate AF or a m/c, if you look at my m/c chart, you can see that my temp did drop the day I started bleeding but was still 0.3 degrees above my CL. It did drop very close to my CL at 24 and 27dpo but went back up.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
I have a clear raise in temps, so going w/ that I did o already.
Just to be clear (and I know this may seem nitpicky but it's not meant that way), you've had a clear and sustained thermal shift, not just one or 2 temp rises, right?

Shannon ~ WRT to testing early, I get good, very early results with $ Store/Tree (which store is it here?) tests and the internet cheapie tests. I get bfps on those sooner than with FRER, even, so it doesn't cost too much for me to test that much.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM

bbrandonsmom: I see you have a nice thermal shift, but not a corresponding dry up, so since this is your first cycle CTA I'd recommend continued caution.

BFS: Yup, I O'd on CD 49 a few months back. You still have lots of time.

MW: I'm all stocked up on internet cheapie HPTs!
I'm not saying don't go in to get checked out, but lots (most?) mommas on the loss board bleed for much longer than a regular AF. A super early loss can actually be shorter than an AF, but later losses seem to result in longer bleeds, generally corresponding to length of gestation.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
bbrandonsmom: I see you have a nice thermal shift, but not a corresponding dry up, so since this is your first cycle CTA I'd recommend continued caution.

MW: I'm all stocked up on internet cheapie HPTs!
I'm not saying don't go in to get checked out, but lots (most?) mommas on the loss board bleed for much longer than a regular AF. A super early loss can actually be shorter than an AF, but later losses seem to result in longer bleeds, generally corresponding to length of gestation.
First, how did you see bb's chart? I looked on the first page and I didn't see a link.

The reason I'm wondering about this bleeding is because I had stopped bleeding for 10 days (if you don't count the spotting for 4 days) and then started again. So, it's not continuous bleeding from the m/c (not that that probably wouldn't worry me, either). I don't know if I should consider this an anov af and count it as a new cycle or leave it as a continuation of the m/c.

I really don't want to get checked. I keep waiting and waiting and putting it off. I don't have any signs of infection so I'm taking that as a good sign. However, if for some reason my uterus is not healing well, that could cause a problem in the future. I'd not be able to forgive myself if I let things go and find out later that there was a problem that then precludes me from ever being able to have another baby. I know I'm going over the same thing again and again but I just don't know what to do. The nice thing about the OB that my MW referred me to is that he's very hands-off, not invasive intervention oriented. I'm comfortable that he wouldn't advise doing anything unless there really was a problem.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 AM

BFS: I feel your pain! Here's my chart http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/277407

Thankfully, it's pretty dry, not like last cycle, when I was "fertile" until O day on CD 70. Right now, even thoug I'd like to have a normal cycle, I guess I'm ok with things, since it's easier to avoid if I'm only ovulated once every two months! lol

Lydiah: welcome!

BBM: if you look at the link to my chart I posted above and scroll down, you can see my last month's cycle. Kind of a good demonstration of the dry up rule! I agree: thank goodness for temping, or I would have been really confused!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 08-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Ok. So I am leaving for vacation early early early Sat. morning. I won't get home till super late the following Sunday night (i.e., essentially gone 9 days). I will be two time zones the west, camping for 5 nights, staying in a hotel for 3.

Should I bother to even take my thermometer? Even if I woke up everyday to temp at 6 am, I would be two hours off. It doen't seem to me that camping would be the most "constant" thermal environment to attempt this in. And hotels are iffy too? So, go just by CF, or take the thermometer, temp 2 hours later than "real", chart it all, but not rely on it, and still be super conscious of CF? DH is not going, so it's only critical for when I get back home...

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 08-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you're going with DH and wanting to use up any free days that you get, I'd say take it. If you're going without DH and dtd isn't a priority while on your trip, I'd say leave it and take a break. When you get home, if you suspect you O'ed your temps will still be high for you to confirtm it after you get back.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM

Um, what does BD stand for? I've gathered it means intercourse, but BD....I've got nothin'

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Old 08-06-2009, 01:02 PM

BD - Bed Dancing :-)

I have decided (probably...still debating backing out) to get the Mirena IUD. I am wondering if I should continue to chart or will it mess with my fertility signs and cycle anyway?
Ugh and reading all the associated risks.....crap, I think I may change my mind and stick with CTA but DH is threatning the V if I don't have a more reliable method (although I argue CTA is reliable if you follow the "rules")
Sorry this is more of a vent than anything I guess! LOL

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 PM

BD to me means baby dancing since I first read it while ttc.

I don't know anything about how the mirena, specifically, would affect your cycles and charting. In general, though, you would still see a thermal shift while hormonal bc if it's not a constant dose of progesterone. If there is a constant dose of progesterone to keep you from Oing, your temps may never show a thermal shift.

WWC ~ It sounds to me like it would be too much hassle to temp while on the trip. I'd just track CF and follow the 4 day dry up rule for figuring when you are safe.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:03 PM

Hi! Please add me.
We just got back from our honeymoon, and I'm officially off the pill as of two days ago. I got my thermometer, and I'm hunting down a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I've got an account on FF, and am ready to start charting and be off chemicals. We're going to be continuing to use condoms while I figure out charting and wait for everything to be normal, since I know coming off BC can be erratic, and I've been on it for years. We don't want to TTC for about a year or so, but I want to be off the pill, comfortable charting, etc.
I'm waiting to start entering data when I get my period, which should be Monday. This is correct yes? I read all the things on how to do it, but I'm just double checking. I'm a bit exciting about doing this, it feels very empowering.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 PM

MW-here's my chart
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/28fb6b
The days I have marked ewcm after o, are because though most of the day was a sticky/dry day, I had spots of ewcm.

WWC-take a vaca. I would, and then start temping when I got back to see if they are higher than normal.

Elonwy-welcome. I went off the pill right when we got married too. After 2 yrs of not charting (didn't know about it), and not using any bc methods we finally got preg. I didn't think we could. After ds1 I read about Fam, but didn't chart, just watched my cf and the calender. Worked for 6 months until I had an off cycle. Then after ds2 it worked for 2 yrs!
This current cycle is all wonky as it's my 1st one after a mc. I've just started temping this time and wich I'd have always temped. I love not dealing w/ hormone bc.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:02 PM

Err, does anyone else have a low body temp? Mines usually 97.5/6 for my normal pm temp, so I'm not surprised my resting temp is lower. My thermometor beeps "Low" at me every morning. My ds1 had a low body temp as well.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:19 PM

BB - I think maybe cd24 coincides more with the pos OPK and the cf. If you discard the abnormally high temp on cd 23 I bet FF would change the crosshairs?) Plus there aren't a lot of pre-O temps to really say for sure. i would be cautious especially if there are still days even with a little EWCM.

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

Old 08-06-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well everyone's different so maybe not. I know I was spotting off and on months after I went off the pill (not mini-pill though, don't know about that). I always just attributed it to coming off the pill, but I guess I don't know.

bbrandonsmom - To me, that does look like a beautiful thermal shift. But since the temps are still quite low and it's your first cycle temping, I would continue to be cautious and use protection until you start your period. Then you will know better what your temp pattern looks like for next time.

elonwy, welcome! : Provided my toddler continues his nap, you will be added post haste. And yes, you start a new chart with the first day of your period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
BFS ~ Just because you haven't Oed yet doesn't mean you won't. I've Oed as late as cd45 before, I think. Not sure what cd you are on but it can happen at any time. I got pg with ds1 after going of bcps without having an af for 3 months.
Oh I know. I once O'd on CD 86. I was just thinking my body was going to do what it did the cycle before last, look like it was going to ovulate, then start spotting, then finally ovulate at what would have been the right time the next cycle. Skip a month.

I hope you get things figured out with what your body is doing.

Now I'm a little confused at my chart. I really don't think I've O'd, since my temps are still so low, but I did dry up, and if you disregard that one high temp (which was taken late) there is almost a shift going on. I guess I'll have to wait and see what tomorrow's temp does. Typically my post-O temps are a lot higher but sometimes they do start out mid-range for a few days and then go up to upper 97's-low 98's.

I'm not too worried about our slip-up anymore, even if I did ovulate. I think there's a very small chance. Of course, if my temps stay up, ask me in a week when I stressing about it and peeing on sticks.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM

Welcome elonwy.

bb ~ I agree with Jenn about your O day. CD24 with your CL at 96.9 looks more like it to me. The dashed crosshairs mean that FF isn't sure cd22 was O, either. I prefer to go with a later rather than earlier day because I think that's more cautious. Some women do have ewcf for a couple of days after O. Not everyone dries up completely right after. I'd still be a bit cautious since this is your first cycle temping. You really need 3 consistently temped O cycles before you can start to rely on charting. When in doubt always be cautious. Your temps are on the low side. That can be indicative of hyperthyroid. Or is it hypo? For some reason my mind just got confused about that. "Normal" pre-O temps are 97.0-97.5 and post-O are above 97.5.

BFS ~ Now I get what you were saying. I was reading it as your body taking a cycle off rather than taking a month longer to O in the same cycle. Gotcha now.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM

bb: low temps can mean hypothyroidism. Mine were off the charts low. I started taking some thyroid support suppliments and and I'm back up, at least on the charts.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:32 PM

Hmm, I'm going to check w/ my dr about the low temps/hypothyroid. It's an issue in my family, but I didn't know it contributed to low body temp. I just know my normal temp is low, so if it goes much past 98 I start to feel really crappy and feverish.
Will just keep watching what the temps do. I was wondering what the dotted line meant. It changed yesterday to that, even after I disregarded that one high temp today.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 PM

Yeah - I have super low temps too........I think one morning was a record breaking 95.9! I need to go to the doc - on my list of things to do......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I don't know much about the mini-pill except that it is a bcp. Why is it called mini?
It's called the mini-pill because it only has progesterone (sp?) where as the "normal" pill has a mixture of estrogen and progesterone. The mini-pill is better for nursing moms, 'especially' with lil' babies. (if there IS such thing as BETTER!)

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...it's tender when DS nurses, which usually happens around ovulation...so maybe I did ovulate. :

Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
Hmm...it's tender when DS nurses, which usually happens around ovulation...so maybe I did ovulate. :
In the 4 total cycles I have had while breastfeeding, it always hurts to nurse after I ovulate. Can i use this as a sign of ovulation in with NFP?

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
It changed yesterday to that, even after I disregarded that one high temp today.
Probably because you recorded ewcf so soon after O. That does confuse things.

lydiah ~ I wouldn't use tenderness while nursing as an absolute sign but I think it's something you can use to confirm O when it lines up with your other signs. I also get very tender when nursing around and after O. I spent years thinking I had thrush before finally realizing it was hormones.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In the 4 total cycles I have had while breastfeeding, it always hurts to nurse after I ovulate. Can i use this as a sign of ovulation in with NFP?
Yeah, as MW said, it's a good corroborating sign if you have it consistently. Just like O pain, nausea, etc. Once you notice that you're getting it the same time every cycle. But not to depend on in the absence of other clear signs.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:28 AM

It's funny how you ladies are all talking about breast tenderness - I swear the only thing that keeps me from POAS aaaaalllllll the time is feeling my boobs! They don't feel tender - so I don't worry about pregnancy - he he he

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 AM

I'd like to join! I'm so excited to find a CTA thread.

I charted with temps only for a year and used back up though most of my cycle. This was fine at the time since DH and I weren’t married yet and we are still young. I got bored with charting and quit December of '07 since we were both ok with a possible pregnancy but neither of us wanted to TTC, DS was conceived February '08. I was fertile again pretty much as soon as I delivered despite EBF. I went from no drive at all during most of my pregnancy to barely, just barely, being able to wait 2 weeks PP to DTD and even then I didn't have my midwifes good graces. I just couldn't stand it and my birth was unbelievably easy. AF showed up 28 days PP and has been fairly regular since.

So fast forward to now (9 months PP) and I have decided to take up charting more seriously but am learning as I go and plan to snag a copy of TCOYF in the near future. Here is what I have charted so far http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/27d146. Before pregnancy my cycles were almost always 30-33 days and my temps post O were 97.6 to 98.2 (before the baby I didn't wake up until 9-10 as compared to temping between 6-8 now). I really don't think I have O'd yet this cycle and until this morning FF had dashed cross hairs on CD 18.

Sorry for the rambling, my questions are:
1. Any idea if I should be expecting my temps now to be similar to before pregnancy?

2. Any insight on this cycle? The cycle before last was 41 days; maybe I'm having another long cycle?

3. I don't get any CF on the tissue when I wipe, is this common for nursing?

4. Is it ok if I only check CF/CP once a day internally or do I need to be checking though out the day (this is really not appealing to me)?

-Nikki
Old 08-07-2009, 03:50 AM

does anyone else exp this?

af is 7 days long
O is usually around cd 22/23

i have pink tinged creamy/slightly ew cm around cd 12-15, just for one day.

i'm pretty sure it's not leftover af blood, as it is pink, so, fresh. and it doesn't correlate to bd either. any ideas? maybe just a hormone drop? i'm not concerned about anything weird going on, i'm just curious.

welcome whitekole!

i've always had loew temps, even as a kid. 98 and up is usually a fever for me! i probably have a slight thyroid problem, but nothing any blood work has ever shown. i do take tyrosine jic.

User Tag List