Charting to Avoid, August 09 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 365 Old 07-31-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the August 2009 charting to avoid thread. If you would like to be added or removed (or have anything changed) from the roll call list, please let me know by PMing me. PM me if you'd like to start next month's thread.

Here's a link to last month's July 2009 CTA Thread.
If you did not post in June or July, you may have been deleted from the list. If you were mistakenly deleted, or you would like to be added/removed, please PM me and let me know. I cannot promise to make changes requested in the thread, but I will try to get to everything.

*Charting/Using FAM/NFP to AVOID*

who we are:

3 little birds
54mama - since 8/09
academama - since 1/09
akaisha - since 04/08
AnnieA - since 12/07
annie2186
Ardor
BarefootScientist - since 08/08 and 12 cycles in '05-'06
bandyr - CTA for 3.5 years
bbrandonsmom
brittneyscott - since 8/09
Carlin - CTA since 8/09
ccasanova - CTA since 12/08 + 4 mos prior
craft_media_hero
DanaMarie
eirual - CTA for 2.5 years
elonwy - since 8/09
Emily's Mama
Eresh - since 8/09
Evergreen - CTA for 9 years
First Time Mama - CTA since 10/08
heather719 - since 01/09
heathermarie73
HulaJenn – since 4/09
Kelm711
LadyBee
ladyinred - since 06/08
Laggie - since 1/09
mamaspirit - CTA since 11/08 + more prior
MarineMommy - CTA since 10/08
miriam_bat_avraham -
MarineWife – CTA for 10 months, now CFS&G
momongeon
MovingMomma - since 02/09 + some time before
mystic~mama - CTA for 3 years
nerdymom - CTA since 8/09
nichole - CTA
phatchristy
pmojzak
RaraAvis - CTA since 8/09 plus 13 months before
Red Sonja - CTA since 7/09
ReikiMommy07 CTA since 08/08
ScarletBegonias - CTA since 4/09
Shelsi -
Sihaya -
Smylingeyz - CTA since 06/08
True Blue
twilight girl - since 08/07
Twinklefae - since 05/08
Virginia884 - since 02/09
wannaBmom_NICU_RN - since 01/09
whitekole
wholewheatchick - since 05/09

Graduates (no longer charting to avoid)
maggirayne -- CTA 02/08-10/08
JuicyPakwan - CTA 06/07 - 06/08 (?)
jul511riv - CTA 17 mo
Mrs_Lurker - CTA 11 mo
augustinem -- cta 6 mo
DanelleB - 12/07 - 05/08
Runner29 - CTA since 07/07 + 2 years previous
ShwarmaQueen - CTA since 09/07
BananaBreadGirl - CTA for 2 years
sk8ermaiden - 09/07-10/08
texaspeach - 10/04 - 01/09
cfiddlinmama - CTA 11/07 - 01/09 + more prior
CanidFL - CTA 06/08 - 02/09
Shell_Ell - (FF) (OS) 11/04 - 02/09 (15 cycles)
Juliacat - CTA 03/08 - 03/09, +33 cycles prior from 2001-2004
mommy2twobabes - CTA 7/08 - 03/08
Othermother'n'madre - CTA 02/08 - 04/09
cahwilson - 01/09 - 04/09
lacysmommy – 04/09-05/09
DucetteMama21842 - CTA 11/08 - 7/09
Danielle283 -
Teenytoona - 2/09-8/09

Pregnancies per Month (due to user error or condom failure unless otherwise noted)
February - at least 1
March - 2
April – 2
May – 2
June – 0
July - 0

Happy charting!

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry day rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak day rule: the last day of fertile mucous is called the peak day (the day before your mucous begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucous appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature shift rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2 degrees F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1 degrees F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books:
Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility and Honoring Our Cycles workbook, by Katie Singer
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

Websites:
Ovusoft charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
Author Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility website
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations:
AF: Aunt Flo, your period
BFP: what we are trying to avoid, a positive pregnancy test
CD: Cycle day
CM: cervical mucous (same as CF)
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
DPO: Days past ovulation
DTD: Do the deed
GIO: get it on
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucous/fluid
LP: Luteal phase - the time from ovulation until your period, average 10-16 days
LTL: low temp level (basically 1/10th below FAM's CL or on the highest of the 6 previous temps)
HTL: high temp level (4/10ths above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#2 of 365 Old 07-31-2009, 06:36 PM

Happy August Everyone!!

Happy Anniversary BS!

Here's to another great non-pregnancy month

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#3 of 365 Old 07-31-2009, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So... do you ever bend the rules because you feel like you "just know"?

I haven't had any fertile CM since Sunday, and since I had such a major temperature increase yesterday and today, this morning we DTD with no birth control. I know that's breaking the rules, but I *feel* like it's okay.

Maybe I'm getting too confident? In any case, it wouldn't be a big deal if we had an oops. Perhaps I'm semi-subconsciously sabotaging us?

ps Here's my chart

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#4 of 365 Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 PM

Spring fever must be over. No new pgs for 2 whole months!

Laggie ~ I think it all depends on how much risk you are willing to take.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#5 of 365 Old 07-31-2009, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the new thread! Laggie, I think it's a risk but not too big of a risk...if your temp stays up tomorrow morning then you are probably fine. It's still a risk though.

AFM, eh, this cycle is making me mad...I am pretty sure that if my temp is up tomorrow morning then FF will give me crosshairs but I don't think I have O'd yet. Oh well, will just have to keep watching.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#6 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 07:58 AM

BFS Thanks for the new thread! (except it still says 'July', shhh, I won't tell anyone....)

MW CF is tough! I have no insight for you other than to say that I hope you are healing (physically and mentally, emotionally, spiritually, etc) and I'm glad that you are back here.

Jen Waahoo for AF! Now you can get to babymaking!

Emily Be careful! My cycles went from 86 days to 45 days to hopefully 35 days.

AFM, we have been GIO like good TTCers... this really is weird compared to avoiding! My chart looks a bit too good to be true. I did rule out one high temp 6/7 days ago and then lowered some times (but not the temps) just so the open circles would go away. (Can I turn those off??) Temp jumped a bit today and I'm hoping it stays up up up up. Either way, that would be it for TTC for us for some time.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#7 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 08:36 AM

Laggie-I'm still getting the hang of this temp thing, but let us know.

Yay-I found a copy of TOYF at the library so will be reading it I had a temp shift, so took an opk and it came up +. Seeing how I've had fertile cf for over a week now, I'm curious to see if my temps stay up and coinside with the opk.
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/28fb6b
I also caught the cold my boys have though, so I don't know if it effected my temp or not.
#8 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 08:39 AM

Happy Anniversary Barefootscientist :
#9 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 AM

Well FF is smarter than I think! Temp jumped up higher and it didn't give me crosshairs! I think I O'd yesterday so hopefully FF will agree with me and not make me override the program.

Virginia, I missed the fact that you are TTC now...congrats!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#10 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 09:54 AM

I didn't get a temp this morning. I was woken up by a very loud computer game and, without thinking, jumped up to turn it off before it woke up everyone else. It's only one temps but I hate missing any. I'm not sure if I should bother temping now, anyway, with all the off and on bleeding. I spotted the day before yesterday but bled again yesterday. My MW keeps telling me to take vitamin E to help my uterus heal but I haven't gotten a chance to get to the store to get some. I think this keeps happening but I don't really ever have a chance to just relax and rest for any significant amount of time and that is certainly not going to happen now.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#11 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Well FF is smarter than I think! Temp jumped up higher and it didn't give me crosshairs! I think I O'd yesterday so hopefully FF will agree with me and not make me override the program.

Virginia, I missed the fact that you are TTC now...congrats!
Thanks! Yeah... I didn't know we would be TTC until this week! We're only trying for this cycle, and if no baby then it's back to CTA until December. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#12 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 11:48 AM

Laggie, I do that a little bit...I had a random day of creamy on CD 8, but I just "knew" that it wasn't a problem, kwim? Yes, it is a risk, and there are many stories of women who ovulated early, but I figured we were ok.

Well, I think I may be gearing up for O...my sticky the past few days has been "wetter" and a definite creamy last night. So maybe I"ll O right before we go camping...and then DH will have to suffer by himself for the entire "free" time! lol Oh well. We'll be ok either way.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#13 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 02:25 PM

Happy August, Ladies

CD 11 here, and all is quiet.

Baby Fever is starting to kick my butt in a big way. My little one turns 20 months this week, and all of a sudden he seems like such a *kid*. It was a struggle not to buy some newborn onsies at Target today! It's like my brain has been hijacked! 12 months until we can TTC......
#14 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 03:11 PM

I won't need to join this thread this month. We made it a whole year CTA and now I don't need to worry for a very long time since my DH will be in Iraq. I think I'm going to miss charting now lol! Thanks for everyones help this past year!

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#15 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle283 View Post
I won't need to join this thread this month. We made it a whole year CTA and now I don't need to worry for a very long time since my DH will be in Iraq. I think I'm going to miss charting now lol! Thanks for everyones help this past year!
for making it an entire year. I know how a year-long deployment in Iraq is. My dh did that about a year ago. Feel free to PM me if you want to "talk".

#16 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmojzak View Post
Happy August, Ladies

CD 11 here, and all is quiet.

Baby Fever is starting to kick my butt in a big way. My little one turns 20 months this week, and all of a sudden he seems like such a *kid*. It was a struggle not to buy some newborn onsies at Target today! It's like my brain has been hijacked! 12 months until we can TTC......
ds is 17 mo, and we shaved his head on sunday. he's not my baby anymore!

dd (3 1/2) keeps saying "mama, ash looks like somebody else's baby!"

so i have baby fever, but we will be cta for an indefinite time. we have some pretty big plans for the next year and i do not want to add another soul to the mix.

i actually hate being pg :. for a whole host of reasons. i never have problems, i just don't like it. but i do LOVE labor and giving birth! i would do that 1,000 times. so much fun and so interesting!
#17 of 365 Old 08-01-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
So... do you ever bend the rules because you feel like you "just know"?

I haven't had any fertile CM since Sunday, and since I had such a major temperature increase yesterday and today, this morning we DTD with no birth control. I know that's breaking the rules, but I *feel* like it's okay.

Maybe I'm getting too confident? In any case, it wouldn't be a big deal if we had an oops. Perhaps I'm semi-subconsciously sabotaging us?

ps Here's my chart
Laggie, I bend the rules. Full disclosure though, one time I bent the rules resulted in DS. : I don't bend the rules that much right now, because I am not as comfortable with an unexpected pregnancy...so yeah as someone else said it all depends on how much risk you are comfortable with right now. In your case on this particular chart I'm not sure that I would be confident of O yet...are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post
BFS Thanks for the new thread! (except it still says 'July', shhh, I won't tell anyone....)
Ooo thanks! I fixed it. And...I will be stalking your chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
Yay-I found a copy of TOYF at the library so will be reading it I had a temp shift, so took an opk and it came up +. Seeing how I've had fertile cf for over a week now, I'm curious to see if my temps stay up and coinside with the opk.
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/28fb6b
I also caught the cold my boys have though, so I don't know if it effected my temp or not.
Your chart looks good so far! Glad you are reading "the" book, LOL. I found it really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle283 View Post
Congrats on avoiding successfully the whole year and for your hubby being deployed. I moved you down to graduates...let me know if you'd rather be removed entirely...or if you're going to cfs&g like MW and want to stay.

AFM, my temp jumped this morning, but I am not believing that it is O because I haven't had enough CF yet, plus I am still having EW today.

My chart.

#18 of 365 Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 AM

Scarlet: What's your boy's name? Ash is short for... I love the name Asher and it's on the short list for boy's names for us.

BBrandon'sMom: TCOYF is such a good resource to have. I'd read the one you got from the library and then buy a cheap used one off of Amazon. I still go back to my copy all the time, even after reading the whole thing.

Danielle: Congrats on making it a whole year! You and your DH will be in our thoughts!

AFM: Temp was up again this morning. I'm thinking O on CD20. DH has been absolutely wonderful this week. Last night we were laying in bed and I said "I'm nervous to take my temp tomorrow. What if it goes down?" and he replied, "Then you haven't ovulated yet and we'll keep trying." OMG! He LISTENED to and RETAINED information about the lady parts! I would never in a thousand years expected that to come out of his mouth. And normally he's dead to the world in the mornings and sleeps right through my temping, but today he rolled over, "what is it?" and had me check it (my therm is dig and I normally just temp and go back to sleep, look at it later). Seriously, this is a changed man. If it ends up that we didn't catch that egg this month I'm more worried about him than me. I think he would be devastated. Sorry to write a novel, but he's really been knocking my socks off!

#19 of 365 Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 AM

Virginia - Kudos to your man for being so attentive!! I hope it continues that way for you/him!

AFM - cd3. AF in full force, but I'm not complaining! LOL Still going to sub to CTA until DH and I get a chance to discuss the potential to TTC, although like PPs said, maybe this month maybe rather than official TTC we will just "bend the rules" and tempt fate a little?

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#20 of 365 Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 AM

Virginia: that's great! Glad you DH is being so sweet and attentive.

AFM: Well, it looks like I'm "slightly fertile" with consistent Creamy the past few days, so I sat DH down last night to talk about it. Since this cycle so far seems normal as far as temps and CF goes, we are going to play more by the rules than last cycle since we are definitely CTA. Ugh. We hate barrier methods of BC. Sometimes I would just rather not DTD than have us use a condom or the diaphragm! lol

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#21 of 365 Old 08-02-2009, 01:23 PM

Hey, I'm back from vacation! Didn't tell anyone I was going anywhere because I didn't know until about 12 hours before LOL!

Very spontaneous! Looking forward to temping again, finished AF on vacation and no bother temping!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#22 of 365 Old 08-02-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post
Scarlet: What's your boy's name? Ash is short for... I love the name Asher and it's on the short list for boy's names for us.
we get asked this all the time! ash is his full name, like the ash tree.

that was part of why we shaved his head too. he's a pretty boy and everyone thought he was a girl named ashley, and that we called "her" ash for short.

cd 8, af all gone, first day of temping. i have a long pre-o phase, so i'm sure to be temping for almost 3 weeks before o. boo!

wwc: we just abstain too. we *will not* use condoms. sometimes if we're feeling risky we'll use lemon juice as spermicide and pull-out.

virginia: so super sweet!
#23 of 365 Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 PM

My Chart

My temps are crazy and I'm bleeding like a full blown AF now. Not sure what to make of any of this. My MW thinks the bleeding could be from all the stress and running around I'm doing. I haven't had any length of time to rest and recuperate so my body hasn't had a chance to heal and I keep reopening the scab, so to speak. I finally got some vitamin E so, hopefully, that will help.

Scarlet ~ Was it you who said you had pcos? Is that why you're cycles are so long? I've been diagnosed with pcos and usually have at least 3 weeks in my pre-O phase before O.

#24 of 365 Old 08-02-2009, 09:13 PM

For anyone who is looking to buy TCOYF - you can get it SUPER cheap on abebooks.com

That is where I got mine - I think that I got it for like 4 or 5 dollars in the end (including shipping) It is "used" but mine is pretty much in perfect condition! Now anytime I want a book I check there first!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#25 of 365 Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Virginia - that's a good idea, putting your FF "code" for the address in your siggy. I think I am going to go do that too!

#26 of 365 Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 AM

Yup, I like that idea, too, Virginia!

Now I think I've O'd but FF doesn't! Funny cycle... It doesn't matter much b/c DH is TAD for 2 more weeks.

Laggie: I don't break the rules unless I wouldn't mind getting pregnant.

bbrandonsmom: Glad you found a copy of TCOYF! Like others, I refer to mine all the time.

Danielle: Congrats on making it a year!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#27 of 365 Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
It doesn't matter much b/c DH is TAD for 2 more weeks.
I'm going to look really dumb here. We've been in the Marine Corps for 7 years now and, although I know what TAD means, I still don't know what it stands for.

#28 of 365 Old 08-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Pretty sure TAD is Temporary Assigned Duty. My dad is in the Army and he always went on TDY which is temporary duty.

Question for everyone: how many days do you usually get Creamy (or your personal equivalent of creamy) before you get Eggwhite CF? Just wondering. It seems like my body is moving in slow motion! lol. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/277407 My temp went down to 96.8 today, but no sign of EW.

MW: I hope that the vitamin E helps, and that you get to rest a bit!

MovingMomma: at least there's no pressure to get it right! Different, but when I finally had a conversation with DH a few months ago and he said, "Well, I'd rather we don't get pregnant right now, but if we do, it'll be fine" I was so relieved that if I 'messed up" he wouldn't be upset. Took a lot of the pressure off.

Virginia: I know your cycles have been getting shorter, but is there any other difference that you can tell between them?

#29 of 365 Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 AM

MW: Yeah, what WWC said! I don't know if he technically is TAD or if he's just "in the field in another state."

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#30 of 365 Old 08-03-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
Question for everyone: how many days do you usually get Creamy (or your personal equivalent of creamy) before you get Eggwhite CF? Just wondering. It seems like my body is moving in slow motion! lol. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/277407 My temp went down to 96.8 today, but no sign of EW.
I don't get creamy much anymore...I used to before I had DS. I guess things change over time. Now I'm more likely to go straight to EW, very little EW for two-three days, then copious EW for about two days...sorry, no help.

DH and I had a bit of an "incident" last night (warning, TMI ahead, if there is such a thing on this thread). We started without a condom, then before DH got the condom on he finished rather suddenly and unexpectedly...not inside me, but it was a pretty messy withdrawal. So now I'm not sure if I want a temp shift or not! I don't want to be pregnant (but if it happens we'd adjust to the idea quickly and be thrilled) but on the other hand I want to O! This cycle is seeming way too much like the cycle before last where I pretty much skipped an O. And that gets frustrating fast (as you know WWC!) Blehhh.

Maybe someone could just reassure me that the whole "if semen gets anywhere NEAR your vulva..." thing is just a scare tactic for teenagers? Is it?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page