Any way to kick start ovulation while breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-30-2004, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
After our next baby, we want to have another fairly soon after. After my son was born, however, I did not get my period until he was about 15 months old, and then it only came three more times until now, and he is 26 months. He nurses regularly, and I would like to nurse my next baby the same - for as long as possible (3-4 years or until he/she self weans).

My question is: is there any way I can get ovulating sooner without stopping breastfeeding?

Thanks and take care!
Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-31-2004, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering the same thing. We want to start TTC in 5 mos or so and still no sign of AF. I have heard that partial night-weaning can bring back AF, but I'm not sure if this really works or not.....

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#3 of 6 Old 02-01-2004, 12:17 PM

For those with average fertility, you need one 4 hour break between nursings.
#4 of 6 Old 02-02-2004, 11:21 AM

According to most guidelines on naturally extending LAM, you should avoid all bottles, avoid pacifiers, practice nightime feedings, sleep with your baby and reduce the incremental length and total time away from your baby. Perhaps you'd be willing to modify one of these areas in exchange for an earlier return of fertility.

One of the key components of ecological breastfeeding is the frequency of suckling. Limiting nighttime feedings sounds like the easiest way to jump start your fertility.
#5 of 6 Old 02-05-2004, 02:22 PM

I think that my AF just doesn't want to return! I work on Saturdays and I am away from DS for 7+ hours at a time without nursing or pumping, still no sign of AF. During the day he'll sometimes go 5+ hours without nursing, but at night he's still nursing like a champ. Maybe night nursing is what keeps AF at bay. He's just not ready to cut back on night nursing so I can't do it. Especially since his molars are coming in.

Maybe my body just ins't ready to be pregnant again. Oh well, looks like we'll wait a little longer before ttc #2

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#6 of 6 Old 02-05-2004, 02:39 PM

I have read that stopping night-nursing is important. Also gaining weight - more fat for estrogen to hide in. This info came from a book with a name like "The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page