Charting to avoid - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 08-08-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wanting to start charting to avoid. I am 26 and have one son who just turned 7. We do not want any babies right now. I used the pill after our son was born for a year and then I got off of it as I felt crazy on it and also had zero libido. We have been using a combo of the pull and pray and condom use (if he "finished" before me) for the past 6 years. We had a recent pregnancy scare and it made me really think about this and I DO NOT want a baby right now and same goes for husband. I do not want any hormonal BC and condoms are okay once and awhile, but all the time. So here I am hoping to get some wisdom from you charting to avoid pregnancy. I did chart to get pregnant with our son as it did not happen after 3 months and I got worried, after 7 months I got pregnant. So I have done this before, but it was so long ago I can barely remember anything.

So any quick start guides to this? What are the first steps I should be taking down this long road of charting to avoid for the next 10+ years of fertility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The gist of it:
1) note the day of your cycle (CD1=first day of period)
2) take your waking temperatures (temps will go up when you've Ovulated. After 3 higher ones you're safe to dtd un-protected)
3) note your cervical fluid. Dry/tacky=not fertile, creamy, stretchy, egg-white all=fertile, don't dtd without backup while you have any form of fertile CM until you've confirmed that ovulation has come and gone)
4) optional: not the height, firmness, and openness of your cervix. low,closed,hard= less fertile times, high,soft,open=more fertile times.

There are other rules, come visit us in the CTA, August thread

Laurie, wife to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DH (Aug/04), mom to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS1 (Nov/05),
DS2 (June/12),
DD (May/15). 
#3 of 4 Old 08-08-2009, 04:54 PM

there's also a sticky at the top of the forum with books and websites

#4 of 4 Old 08-08-2009, 05:24 PM

DH and I did this for a few years, we used a combo of charting, condoms, and abstaining. We would use nothing when ovulation was extremely unlikely, spermacidal condoms when unlikely, and abstinence during the main 5 days around likely ovulation. It worked for several years, but you have to be strict!! the first time we weren't strict, we got pregnant and DS#1 We used a condom approx 2 days b/f ovulation. A Cooperative Method of Natural Birthcontrol is informative and concise. If you have a computer you can easily make charts at home. I kept mine in a small binder at my night stand, with a pen, thermometer and individual alcohol pads to clean the thermometer. Good luck and good lovin'
I used a Mirena IUD after DS, the hormone dose is so low it doesn't bother me... other hormone methods drove me crazy, too, and I tried many different kinds.

One son , 3 years old. One husband, nine years of love. Expecting A Girl Feb 25, 2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page