IUD caused miscarriage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I have had a paraguard IUD for about 8 months and have really had no problems with it. Never had the random bleeding, my period was always normal with it. This month my period was like 3 weeks late and I was starting to think I was pregnant. I was relieved when my period started but now I have been bleeding for nearly 3 weeks! I have read that an IUD can actually cause a fertilized egg to not implant properly. Do you think this is what happened? If so, and this was a miscarriage because of it, I am not sure I am ok with having an IUD. Thoughts?

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#2 of 17 Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 PM

It is a definite possibility.......I do know what with IUD's they DON'T stop you from ovulating, they make it really hard for a fetilized egg to stick and/or for sperm to fertilize the egg in the first place. So really, with an IUD, any month you fertilize an egg it would be hard pressed to stick to your hostile uterus.

I also know of a few people who think they have had a miscarriage like you did (almost the same story).

Hope you feel better soon!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#3 of 17 Old 08-16-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. It's interesting to know that there are other people you know who have seemed to have had the same experience. Maybe someone else will have more answers. *sigh*

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#4 of 17 Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 AM

It's possible that you could have conceived, and it's possible that the IUD may have caused a miscarriage. It's also possible that the IUD had nothing to do with it, and it's probably impossible to say with any certainty what happened.
#5 of 17 Old 08-18-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight girl View Post
It's possible that you could have conceived, and it's possible that the IUD may have caused a miscarriage. It's also possible that the IUD had nothing to do with it, and it's probably impossible to say with any certainty what happened.
I agree. Also, my anecdotal story is that I had a very similar thing happen to me with Mirena last Dec/Jan. I suspect that it was a miscarriage caused by the IUD, but never followed up with a Dr to find out for sure.
#6 of 17 Old 08-18-2009, 07:10 PM

I had a Paraguard put in after Dd2 was born. I'm on my third cycle now. I've been charting too for infomational purposes. My first two cycles I didn't ovulate and was okay with it. This cycle I ovulated. Then I had Tri-phasic termeratures. I'm at 12DPO now and am have had several BFNs. I'm not sure what to think. I'm not okay with an IUD causing a m/c every cycle. I think I may get it removed. I don't think it'll be hard to convince dh. The amount of blood I"m loosing during AF is really a lot.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#7 of 17 Old 08-18-2009, 07:14 PM

I understand that neither type of IUD prevents conception, but both prevent implantation. My midwife told us during a conversation about birth control methods, "You have to be really clear on when you believe life begins when considering an IUD." HTH....

Amy

Wife to K since 6/95 Mommy to "The Fellas" ages 13, 10 and 8 and our rainbow girly 12/09.
Always remembering my babies who could not stay '08 '08 '09
#8 of 17 Old 08-19-2009, 08:06 PM

I had a paraguard put in this week. As she was putting it in, the OB told me that clinical trials show no hormonal bump (indicating conception) with the IUD. She told me that it was an increase in cervical mucus that prevented the sperm from reaching the egg.

I didn't ask a ton more, though I was surprised. I thought it prevented implantation - which I can live with, but I'd prefer to prevent conception altogether.

Teacher, Mother of 4
#9 of 17 Old 08-20-2009, 12:12 PM
JMJ

There have been documented cases of women getting pregnant with an IUD (I'm not sure which ones.), even to the point of implantation and having BFP's and then miscarrying, presumably because of the IUD. I don't think it has been proven, but theoretically, any hormonal birth control may also prevent implantation as a back-up when conception is not prevented.

It's hard to know for sure what happened to you. You could have gotten pregnant or you could have ovulated late and had a really heavy period, possibly caused by the IUD irritating the lining of your uterus. Either way, it sounds like the IUD might not be for you. If you are concerned about the amount of blood that you are loosing, please seek medical care.
#10 of 17 Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. I did some research on my own and found out some pretty alarming things about the IUD. I think I may get it out. It reallys sucks because I thought the IUD was the perfect birth control. I really wanted to avoid hormones. Now I don't know what I am going to do. DP is not comfortable with FAM/NFP, as it is he FREAKED out that I may have actually conceived with the IUD because he is not ready for a baby (my children are not his). He went so far as to say maybe we should not DTD AT ALL until he is ready for kids, until we confirmed that if somehow I do get pregnant while using BC correctly, that we would place the baby for adoption. I have had one termination, and never again (long story, abusive relationship, etc. no flames please). That is why the way the IUD works really bothers me. Just rubs me the wrong way

#11 of 17 Old 08-26-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrt View Post
I understand that neither type of IUD prevents conception, but both prevent implantation. My midwife told us during a conversation about birth control methods, "You have to be really clear on when you believe life begins when considering an IUD." HTH....

Amy
This is not accurate information.
#12 of 17 Old 08-27-2009, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

It seems mostly accurate from my own research I have done through this. They primarily prevent fertilization, but also prevent implantation if that does not work via thinning the lining of the uterus.

#13 of 17 Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 PM

natural mama, sorry to hear about your dilema. i have been there. my dh was sooooo not ready for baby when we conceived but things worked out. after her birth, i also settled on the paraguard, thinking it was the perfect solution (hormone free birth control). it ended up making me anemic because i had such heavy periods. i don't want to even consider if any of them were losses. my midwife removed it after about a year because of the anemia. now we are pretty much using FAM and withdrawl and my dh sort of treats me like i'm some scheming freak trying to convince him to leave it in and impregnate me.
so, yeah, not much advice here, just .

happily married mama to our only...for now
#14 of 17 Old 08-28-2009, 09:41 PM

I had two confirmed pregnancies/miscarriages with the IUD. It's rare, but can happen.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#15 of 17 Old 08-28-2009, 09:47 PM

I had the paraguard (it fell out) and was told one thing right off the bat. They aren't totally sure what it is that makes them work. First off it's a foreign body that is irritating your uterus. Secondly, the paraguard is copper and copper will raise the hostile/unfavorable conditions of your cervical mucus making it harder for sperm to get in. Thirdly, the shape of it is supposed to inhibit implantation. Those are just some of the ways they know it works. Anyhow, I was also told (though not sure how accurate this is) that IUD induced miscarriages happen but more so with the Mirena. You are also more likely to have that happen within the first 6 months (expulsion rate is highest then too) and if you are nursing it's even higher.

You could always go get a blood test to see if you were pregnant. You might still have enough Hcg to register on one. I had a friend years ago who could not do birth control. No matter what type it was within 3 or 4 months she was basically bleeding non stop. She never did figure out why.

When I was looking into it I read a ton on copper toxicity and ran across an article that said excessive bleeding can be a sign of that (I can't find it now and I've long since deleted it from my favorites). It could be something as simple as that for you.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#16 of 17 Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I think I am going to go to the doc. Maybe a blood test would work, I could give it a shot, didn't think about that. I just FINALLY stopped bleeding about a week ago. Good news though! DP realized how upset I was about the whole thing. He had not realized how bad it hurt me that he was being so insensitive. He is now still kind of scared about and oops but he told me that truly, if I had been pregnant and had the baby that he would probably be pissed for like a month then he would be all, "So what are we going to name it?!" We are also going to be doing a little memorial ceremony for the baby(even though we may not know if it was), and for the baby I terminated before because I have still been having issues with that. When this happened I felt like karma was punishing me, I felt so terrible. He was struggling for a long time wondering if he was ready to be there in the long term because kids scare the crap out of him. But now he is sure without any prodding from me and I feel SOOOO relieved.:
So, he is going to be getting me TCOYF and I will be frequenting the charting to avoid thread WOOT!!!! I feel sooooo much better that I don't have to feel like I must rely on birth control methods that may harm me. And I feel even better to know that even if a pregnancy was not planned, he would not feel like it was the end of the world. Thank you mamas, for the input and the hugs.

#17 of 17 Old 09-12-2009, 06:56 PM
wbg

I just came on to post about this and saw this thread, so I hope it is okay to post here. I have only had my IUD in for about 2 weeks. It is the Mirena. I got my first period which was pretty heavy. I thought this was normal as they say that although most women have light to no period, the first 3 months can be tricky. For me, I have heavy periods even on the mini pill. My OB did n ultrasound and said that as long as I was on the mini pill I should not get periods, and I proved him wrong each month. Anyway, this period lasted for 11 days and was really exhausting me. It stopped, then two days later I had what looked like a bloody show? Seriously? 4 kids later I know what they look like. This huge chunk of mucous tinged browny pink just popped out into my knickers. And now for the last two days I am getting tiny birts of browny pink mucous each day. Any ideas? My husband got that yucky feeling like it was a v early miscarriage?

I am at a loss. I really wanted off the pill and I do feel so much better without it. I am fortunate enough to be extremely fertile so I do not trust withdrawal and am way too chaotic for charting. Am so confused.

OP, would love to hear how it goes for you with the IUD removal and the TCOYF. Wishing you all the best.

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page