Where to find Gynol Spermicide to use with diaphragm? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm frantic trying to find a spermicide to use with the diaphragm? I've been using gynol II extra strength but can't find it anywhere. What else can I use? I was able to make the gynol go a long way and I can't even find it online now.

Any ideas?
#2 of 15 Old 08-22-2009, 05:54 PM

I entered gynoll ii into google and found it sold online all over the place. This place seemed to have cheap prices. good luck! http://www.drugsdepot.com/viewitem.p...TRCP_JEL_3.8OZ

Proud mama of 2 beautiful boys!! One born 2/2009 and the other 5/2011
#3 of 15 Old 08-22-2009, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, but after you go thru all the ordering, they tell you that it's on indefinite backorder or permanently out of stock. Even Amazon has it as currently unavailable except for one supplier that charges 14.51 to ship a 12.99 3.8 oz tube of contraceptive jelly :.

I didn't try the one you mentioned though, so I'll try and see if it goes thru...thanks
#4 of 15 Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM

I'm having the same problem . I did find it somewhere that said it ships in 24 hours, but it's been 48 hours with no shipment yet. This is very disappointing because the diaphragm is our preferred method of BC. Is there anything else that we can use....that isn't $15 for 10 applications, or something like that.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#5 of 15 Old 08-27-2009, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

I finally finally found a company that has said they had it and shipped it:

http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bi...te&query=gynol

I haven't received it yet....but it's worth a try.

I am thinking that this stuff is not being made anymore. I might call the company and ask.

I can't use hormones but need good dependable birth control. If they quit making this, how can u use a diaphragm?:
#6 of 15 Old 08-27-2009, 04:37 PM

Thanks! I just ordered mine, and it is says it has shipped :. I don't know what to do if they stop making it. A diaphragm by itself is not effective against preventing pregnancy. I love my diaphragm...HATE hormonal birth control, and an IUD is not an option for me. What's left besides FAM?

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#7 of 15 Old 08-28-2009, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post
I don't know what to do if they stop making it. A diaphragm by itself is not effective against preventing pregnancy. I love my diaphragm...HATE hormonal birth control, and an IUD is not an option for me. What's left besides FAM?
We're in the same boat -- neither of us want surgery -- I have too many friends who've had trouble with tubal ligations.

There's really nothing else besides abstinence!!:
#8 of 15 Old 08-30-2009, 10:32 PM

baby-makes-3, I found it at my local CVS Pharmacy today :. I have ordered one, but I figured it was better to have too much than not enough so I bought it . I guess it doesn't hurt to keep checking local pharmacies.

#9 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post
baby-makes-3, I found it at my local CVS Pharmacy today :. I have ordered one, but I figured it was better to have too much than not enough so I bought it . I guess it doesn't hurt to keep checking local pharmacies.
Wow, thanks for the heads-up! I figured if it wasn't at Wal-Mart, it wouldn't be anywhere . I'll check CVS and Rite Aid !!
#10 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 05:46 AM

Mamas! let me tell you about...spermicide! there are many brands and forms. any cream or jelly will work with your diaphragm. some women use the foam, apply it like shaving cream.
spermicide alone is actually slightly more effective than the diaphragm/spermicide combo. when I found that fact out, I ditched the diaphragm. now we use vcf, vaginal contraceptive film. it is totally awesome. nobody has heard of it but i have no idea why not. So at least try the free sample!

http://www.vcf-contraceptive.com/sample.asp
#11 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 05:39 PM

We use the ortho cream spermicide. It shipped from drugstore.com.

I've also found it at CVS.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#12 of 15 Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I ordered a free sample of the VCF. I still can't wrap my head around a thin film of contraceptive, esp. if I know I'm around O time. It's a mental thing, I guess. This is what I found http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1583.html:

Quote:
VCF, when used alone, is far less effective against pregnancy than a condom, which, when used consistently and correctly, offers a 97 percent protection rate. VCF seems to be most effective when used as a back up with another form of birth control.
I think that technically is better than the diaphragm which is about 94%. Wierd!
#13 of 15 Old 09-03-2009, 10:29 AM

:

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#14 of 15 Old 09-07-2009, 10:22 AM

the same cream or jelly used with a diaphragm can also be used alone, they sometimes come with an applicator. I think KY makes a spermicide that comes with an applicator. Ortho sells pre-loaded applicators. There's another brand also, called encare, which is a "suppository".
I got fed up with hormonal methods (pill, patch, depo-provera) and barriers are just clumsy for me (condoms, diaphragm). We used FAM to conceive but the periodic abstinence to avoid pregnancy is just unrealistic for me. I've been very happy using spermicide, for many reasons. You can buy it at drugstores, grocery stores, etc. no prescription, professional fitting, or pap smear required. I have found it reliable enough, no unintended pregnancies.
Honestly, I wish you the best of luck with your VCF samples! Have fun!
#15 of 15 Old 02-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Hello all!!! So I am 19 year old female. I have just recently got off of the pill.....and fed up with all hormonal birth control so I've decided to get a diaphragm and use spermicides. I have family PACT but the only spermicide they cover is not in stock...its the Gyno 2. I am so lost as to what to use....cream...gel.....jelly....foam....film.....so I am asking advice to all you lovely people that seem to know a little bit more than I do. can you use a film with a diaphragm? what would be the best route. My GYNO told me to just use a gel, but the only gel the sell over the counter is $17.99 for only 10 pre filled applicators.....I'm so lost and don't know what to do. For now, my boyfriend and I have just been using condoms greensad.gif but I want to start using my diaphragm....any suggestion, comments, concerns?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page