September 2009 Charting to Avoid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the September 2009 charting to avoid thread. If you would like to be added or removed (or have anything changed) from the roll call list, please let me know by PMing me. PM me if you'd like to start next month's thread.

Here's a link to last month's August thread.
If you did not post in July or August, you may have been deleted from the list. If you were mistakenly deleted, or you would like to be added/removed, please PM me and let me know. I cannot promise to make changes requested in the thread, but I will try to get to everything.

*Charting/Using FAM/NFP to AVOID*

who we are:

54mama - since 8/09
academama - since 1/09
Ajbaby - since 8/09
alicewyf - CTA since 9/09 plus 6 m before
AnnieA - since 12/07
annie2186
Ardor
BarefootScientist - since 08/08 and 12 cycles in '05-'06
bbrandonsmom
brittneyscott - since 8/09
Carlin - CTA since 8/09
craft_media_hero
dachshundqueen - since 6/04
DanaMarie
eirual - CTA for 2.5 years
elonwy - since 8/09
Eresh - since 8/09
GriffsKat - since 4/09
heather719 - since 01/09
heathermarie73
HulaJenn – since 4/09
Kelm711
LadyBee
MarineWife – CTA for 10 months, now CFS&G
mommyevekitty - since 9/09
momtokimari
MovingMomma - since 02/09 + some time before
mystic~mama - CTA for 3 years
natural_mama89
nerdymom - CTA since 8/09
nichole - CTA
phatchristy
pmojzak
RaraAvis - CTA since 8/09 plus 13 months before
Red Sonja - CTA since 7/09
ScarletBegonias - CTA since 4/09
Sihaya -
Smylingeyz - CTA since 06/08
twilight girl - since 08/07
whitekole
wholewheatchick - since 05/09

Graduates (no longer charting to avoid)
maggirayne -- CTA 02/08-10/08
JuicyPakwan - CTA 06/07 - 06/08 (?)
jul511riv - CTA 17 mo
Mrs_Lurker - CTA 11 mo
augustinem -- cta 6 mo
DanelleB - 12/07 - 05/08
Runner29 - CTA since 07/07 + 2 years previous
ShwarmaQueen - CTA since 09/07
BananaBreadGirl - CTA for 2 years
sk8ermaiden - 09/07-10/08
texaspeach - 10/04 - 01/09
cfiddlinmama - CTA 11/07 - 01/09 + more prior
CanidFL - CTA 06/08 - 02/09
Shell_Ell - (FF) (OS) 11/04 - 02/09 (15 cycles)
Juliacat - CTA 03/08 - 03/09, +33 cycles prior from 2001-2004
mommy2twobabes - CTA 7/08 - 03/08
Othermother'n'madre - CTA 02/08 - 04/09
cahwilson - 01/09 - 04/09
lacysmommy – 04/09-05/09
DucetteMama21842 - CTA 11/08 - 7/09
Danielle283 -
Teenytoona - 2/09-8/09
Virginia884 - 2/09 - 8/09
momongeon
Laggie - 1/09 - 9/09
wannaBmom_NICU_RN - 1/09-9/09

Pregnancies per Month (due to user error or condom failure unless otherwise noted)
February - at least 1
March - 2
April – 2
May – 2
June – 0
July - 0
August - 0
September - 1 so far

Happy charting!

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry day rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak day rule: the last day of fertile mucous is called the peak day (the day before your mucous begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucous appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature shift rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2 degrees F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1 degrees F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books:
Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility and Honoring Our Cycles workbook, by Katie Singer
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

Websites:
Ovusoft charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
Author Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility website
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations:
AF: Aunt Flo, your period
BFP: what we are trying to avoid, a positive pregnancy test
CD: Cycle day
CM: cervical mucous (same as CF)
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
DPO: Days past ovulation
DTD: Do the deed
GIO: get it on
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucous/fluid
LP: Luteal phase - the time from ovulation until your period, average 10-16 days
LTL: low temp level (basically 1/10th below FAM's CL or on the highest of the 6 previous temps)
HTL: high temp level (4/10ths above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the new thread, BFS!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Another month with no unintended pregnancies! :

Unless the people I just deleted had some.

How is everyone doing in September? I love the fall in CO so I'm looking forward to it.

As for charting, I am just about at O time. CD 17 and expecting a temp jump in the next...oh...four days or so.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:24 PM

bfs-if we both o, then our cycles are seeming to match up so far. If I o'd yesterday/today, then that's more on track w/ my cycles before the mc, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My cf still has been wacky this cycle though, so that's not back to normal yet. It's sure a slow process.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:26 PM

Hi,
I am new to this thread, I just started charting last week. I was on the pill before, so right now things are kinda weird. Is it normal to go from three dry days to ewcm?

Me + DH = DS (7) and DD born 10-27-11, an accidental UC!!  novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.gif 
Old 09-01-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajbaby View Post
Hi,
I am new to this thread, I just started charting last week. I was on the pill before, so right now things are kinda weird. Is it normal to go from three dry days to ewcm?
It can be, especially when going off the Pill. I had crraaaazy CF for a long time after going off the Pill. Welcome to the thread and to charting!

bbm - Yeah I was going to say, we are pretty much cycle buddies! : I hope you did O yesterday and your cycles straighten out.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the new thread, BFS.

Welcome, Ajbaby! I went off the Pill in May, and I wish you better luck than I've had (one 80 ovulatory cycle; one 40 day anovulatory cycle). Yes, things can be crazy post-BCP, but it's way better knowing what is going on!

AFM: CD 4; nothing exciting to report. I read through the stuff about anovulatry cycles that you all posted the last few days of Aug., but I'm going to keep this as a new cycle. Esp. since the last one was 40 days already, and may have been ovulatory; wasn't clear. First two days of AF my temps remained "higher" at 97.3; yesterday and today back under 97.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 09-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Hi ladies! I'm new here and so glad to be joining ya'll! I didn't think about it before I decided to start charting but will being on the pill affect it? I am on the pill right now but decided to start charting for the extra security lol. I got my basal body thermometer and took my temp for the first time this morning. The chart that came with my thermometer has the chart starting with the first day of AF which is expected Sunday. I guess I'll officially start my chart then.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

brittney - Are you going off the Pill or planning to stay on it and chart? Because in my opinion it would be pointless to chart while on the Pill. It keeps you from O'ing, so you shouldn't see a thermal shift. And it dries up your CF, so you shouldn't be getting that either...and if you do, it will probably be pretty erratic. I don't know, IMO the Pill just kind of messes with your entire reproductive system and cycle and charting just really seems like a waste of time.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:21 PM

BFS, thanks for the new thread!

Brittney, I agree w/BarefootScientist. Charting while on the Pill will just frustrate you. The Pill changes so many things in your body and you will not have the natural fertility and ovulatory signs that our bodies produce. If you want to keep taking the Pill, I would say the best way to get added security is to make sure you take the Pill at the exact same time every day.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 09-01-2009, 05:23 PM

I didn't think about the bcp affecting ovulation. I was planning on charting for a couple of months to get an idea of what my cycles are doing and then stopping the bcp. I'm only on my 3rd cycle of bcp and haven't noticed a change in CF so I didn't think about that.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:17 PM

Oops I'll PM first, I didn't read like I should... brain fog, sorry..

Amanda, wife to her soldier : AP, lactivist, natural birthing Mommy to my Bug (12/30/03) and my Princess (03/15/06)
Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

mommyevekitty I added you.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Shannon ~ I'd go with cd20 with your CL at 97.4.

FF automatically excludes anov cycles from stats. It also doesn't include the current cycle until it's ovulatory, I believe. I was going to exclude it anyway. I've had several anov cycles in the past as well. Those are the ones, or the O cycles just after, that I was thinking might skew my stats. Since I seem to O much earlier than usual after an anov cycle, they make my average O day sooner than it should be, if that makes any sense. Of course, if I merge the anov cycles with the following O cycle, it probably skews my average O day in the other direction.

WRT charting while on the pill, I wouldn't bother with it unless you just want to get in the habit of taking your temp every morning. Your data won't tell you anything about how your natural cycles will be. Temps and CF are controlled by hormones. BCPs contain the same hormones that your body produces. However, they are in different levels and ratios so they override your natural hormones and trick your body into not Oing. Usually, you get a bleed while on bcps because the last week is a progesterone withdrawal. You either don't take any pills at all or you take a placebo. You may still see a thermal shift while charting on bcps if the last week or two of the pill is either an increased amount of or just progesterone even though you haven't Oed, since that's the hormone your body naturally produces after O that causes the thermal shift.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 PM

You all know I'm very new to charting so I'm learning a lot of new things. I have to say that the more I learn, the angrier I get. I mean, why was I never taught any of these things? I'm 33 years old and I never knew what fertile cervical fluid looked like before a few weeks ago. I have one child, who is very much wanted, that conceived 1 month before we planned on starting TTC simply because I had no idea what my fertility signs were. I had an IUD because there was no way I wanted babies too close together and I didn't really know of any other options other than an IUD, the mini Pill, or 100% condom use (and neither of the the latter 2 were acceptable to me). Now I'm even more angry just talking about it. :

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 AM

Had a fall back temp today, but cf seems dry so far. It was actually sticky/dry yesterday except for 1 patch of ew in the pm, so I don't know if I should change that on ff or not. I don't think it will make a difference.

Eresh-doesn't that frustrate the heck out of you? I found out about fertile cf after ds1 was born, but I hadn't read TCOYF until now and can't believe the stuff you learn, and didn't learn as teens or in college. I can understand why it's not taught, because the % of teens who would use it correctly as bc prob is not good. But there is a teen book available I saw-has anyone looked at it to see what it goes over for them? I feel like I had no idea what was really going on w/ my own body. The years I thought we couldn't have kids, the wacky cycles etc. Now, I try to educate who I can-friends and family who ask about it. I think TCOYF should be a wedding gift
Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 AM

We're CTA. Have been charting since 06/2004. Have LPD, and am on D, CLO, and B6 for it (among other things). If not resolved this month, next month prometrium. Fun!

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 AM

Welcome, mommyevekitty and dauschundqueen! I love charting, and keep talking it up to my friends; I got 2 friends to start doing it in FL, and another new friend here in TX that is now intereted.

AFM: do I need a new thermometer? http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/277407 I take my temp at 6 am, always in same place in my mouth, etc. It's the purplre CVS one.

And then, I am thinking last cycle was anovulatory. So we'll go with that. My AF this time, then, was different; less "tissue" passed, kwim? And it was, runnier? Like, just blood, or very bloody EWCF (very EWCF yesterday; more of that classic O bleeding of "clear tinged with red").

You can see last cycle and this cycle so far on ff. If you paste them together as one cycle...idk???? I am kind of jumping to worst scenario...maybe I did O on CD 40 or something, and this is implantation bleeding and an implantation dip the past two days???? Far stretch, I know, but I'm concerned nonetheless. Thoughts??? I am just very confused by such erratic temps. I mean, 96.9 to 97.4 in one day???

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
AFM: do I need a new thermometer?
Try temping vaginally next cycle - the temps are more stable.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 AM

WWC: I wouldn't worry over one temp that seems off. And temps can jump around a bit during the early part of a cycle.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 09-02-2009, 11:30 AM

Thanks for having me. I'm hoping to start charting soon... I'm getting my mirena out this Friday (so excited!) and so I'm sure things are going to be wacky and I'll have lots of questions! LOL

Amanda, wife to her soldier : AP, lactivist, natural birthing Mommy to my Bug (12/30/03) and my Princess (03/15/06)
Old 09-02-2009, 11:30 AM

Well, I just had DH take his temp, and it was 95.8 according to my thermometer!!! So, off for a new thermometer today!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:50 AM

eresh ~ I get frustrated by that, too. I have a BS in Biology and I didn't know any of this stuff until I read TCOYF when I was 32 years old. I now look back and remember when I was in my early twenties and had CF dripping out of me. I had no idea what it was and was so embarrassed when I wore a bathing suit and kept wondering if there was something wrong with me. I also have an 18yo ds (who I wouldn't trade for anything) who resulted from an accidental pg when I was 20 after a doc told me I should go off bcp because I wasn't cycling/Oing and needed to give my body a break from the synthetic hormones. Of course, he didn't bother to explain to me at all that I could O at any time and get pg. Nor did he mention anything about how to determine when that might happen. He just told me that as long as I wasn't having AF I was Oing so I couldn't get pg. : So, that's my rant.

Liz ~ Welcome. If you are CTA, why are you treating your LPD? I didn't think that was necessary unless you were ttc.

WWC ~ Temps can be erratic during AF. I don't even bother temping during my AF. It's usually not necessary. Vaginal temping, like Liz suggested, helps some women get steadier temps if oral ones are crazy.

bbm ~ I'd record ewcf for that day (was it yesterday?). Better to assume fertile when you're not than to assume not fertile when you are. KWIM?

I actually have a CF question. : I started having CF as soon as my spotting stopped. No dry days. It's shiny and somewhere between sticky and slippery. I can't quite tell. There's a lot more of than I usually get when I have sticky CF. Yesterday I got gobs of it that I was actually able to pick up between my fingers. The thing that's confusing me is that it stretched to just about an inch before breaking. It was very, very thin and it felt more sticky than slippery or lubricative. What do you guys think?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 AM

MW: I had weird CM for a couple of cycles after my miscarriage. I know it doesn't matter for you right now, but like you just said, it's better to assume you're fertile when you're not that to assume you aren't when you are, so I'd say record it as EWCM.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:23 PM

Newbie question -- how do I post my chart? I don't seem to have an id# in the URL on my home page, it just says ttc.

I want the group take on my chart -- kind of pumped for my 1st charted O pp!

Isn't it funny how it's quiet on here for a week, then everyone seems to O or M around the same time and it gets BUSY!

*BETH* mother of DD (8) and DS (6) along with 2 dogs, 2 cats and about 100 chickens
Old 09-02-2009, 12:34 PM

MW-if it strestches and is clearish, I'd record it as watery/ewcf.
I had another patch of that today, so this is just fun-:. At least I think my body is trying since it dry most of the except for these patches-not just ew like last cycle w/ no dryness.

Hi Rara-on you ff page there is "sharing" on the left hand side-go to home page setup. On that page at the top will be a link to copy and paste here.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM

Thanks. I definitely have ewcf today so that's how I'll record yesterday's, too. Kind of weird to go straight from bleeding to ewcf but since this cycle has been so long and anov so far I guess it's not that weird.

For the newbies ~ If you give BFS your chart link, I think she can add it to the first page. That way we can all look at each other's charts whenever we want.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Eresh - I totally understand the frustration. This stuff really needs to be part of every female's basic education. And, at a basic level, every male too.

dachshundqueen - Welcome! : You have been added!

WWC, I agree with the others...it looks like just erratic AF temps, which happens all the time for me.

AFM, still waiting for O. More EW today.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 PM

Okay I'm thinking about coming off the pill and starting the charting since I'd feel more comfortable knowing what's going on with my body. Plus I don't like the idea of the pill in case of an oops I don't want that going into my baby's system planned or unplanned. What methods of backup bc should I look at or do ya'll use until I can get my cycles figured out?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=brittneyscott;14322903]What methods of backup bc should I look at or do ya'll use until I can get my cycles figured out?[/QUOTE

Are you planning to abstain during your fertile phase once you figure things out?

We used condoms when we were tta and I wasn't charting. When I started cta I had already been charting for years so I knew my signs pretty well. We use withdrawal during my fertile phase now. The stats say it's only 1% less effective, clinically, than condoms if you do it properly. The failure rate is a bit higher in practice, I think. It requires a great amount of self-control. I got pg by accident about 4 months ago because my dh didn't withdraw. I don't mind the higher risk because I wouldn't mind having another baby. I can't stand condoms and my fertile phase is way too long for us to abstain.

User Tag List