withrawl as birth control.. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 10-10-2009, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggyitaly View Post
Those of you who got pregnant using the withdrawal method, did your partners fail to withdraw or were they successful?
Dh was successful...it just didn't work for us. That said, we are still using it.
I actually don't like it at all. It's great because I really can't stand birth control, but seriously every month I think I'm pregnant now! Stressful.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#32 of 55 Old 10-11-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Those of you who got pregnant using the withdrawal method, did your partners fail to withdraw or were they successful?
My dh didn't even try to withdraw. I don't know if he didn't realize I was fertile or if, in the moment, he didn't care. I probably wouldn't use withdrawal if I absolutely did not want to get pg.

I agree with the person who said it's only for men who are very experienced, in tune with their bodies and have great self-control. The failure rate is only 1% lower than that of condoms when done properly. As with any other bc, it's only as effective as the users. Abstinence only works if you abstain.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#33 of 55 Old 10-13-2009, 12:12 AM

6 years and counting....

Avoid around and after "O" if you are adamant about not getting pregnant.
#34 of 55 Old 10-14-2009, 03:58 PM

withdrawal worked for us for many years - somewhere between 5-10 years we used it successfully. I got pregnant very quickly (within 2 mos) each time we stopped withdrawal.

DH is extremely self-disciplined and probably withdraws a bit early - doesn't cut it too close. I suppose that makes a difference.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#35 of 55 Old 10-14-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
Avoid around and after "O" if you are adamant about not getting pregnant.
There was something about this that was confusing me and I finally figured out what it was. This would be abstinence not withdrawal.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#36 of 55 Old 10-14-2009, 04:44 PM

Five years here, until we decided to TTC. DH totally prefers to a condom, and no way no how am I using hormonal BC.
#37 of 55 Old 10-14-2009, 04:56 PM

Edited just because

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#38 of 55 Old 10-14-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I am so surprised it works for so many... I was taught that "sex is like basketball and he dribbles a little before he shoots" or something like that.
Recent research has shown this to be a myth. There isn't any viable sperm in pre-ejaculate. The only time there is viable sperm in pre-ejaculate is if you dtd more than once close together and the male doesn't urinate in between.

Quote:
Another bit of info that may be wrong... If you are irritated by latex condoms and not all latex it could be the spermicide that causes the problem. I don't know if condoms w/o spermicide are available, I am just putting the thought out there.
There are condoms without spermicide. There are also non-latex condoms. We don't use condoms because I can't stand the way they feel. It doesn't matter which kind it is.

I just looked it up again. According to my fertility book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, withdrawal only has a 1% higher method failure rate than condoms (without spermicide), 4% and 3%, respectively. There is a larger difference in user failure rate, 14% for condoms and 19% for withdrawal. That's still not much higher risk, imo, only 5% higher. Withdrawal is more effective than a diaphragm, sponge, cervical cap with spermicide, and spermicides alone.

#39 of 55 Old 10-15-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Recent research has shown this to be a myth. There isn't any viable sperm in pre-ejaculate. The only time there is viable sperm in pre-ejaculate is if you dtd more than once close together and the male doesn't urinate in between.
This. The odds of getting pg from pre-ejaculate are incredibly slim (lol, my DH did the research because he's nerdy like that!)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#40 of 55 Old 10-15-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
This. The odds of getting pg from pre-ejaculate are incredibly slim (lol, my DH did the research because he's nerdy like that!)
guess I'm a nerd too- cause I spent hours researching coitus interruptus and spermatozoa

(from what I read, the chances of actually conceiving from withdrawl are very unlikely- almost impossible.. comparable to the chance of becoming pregnant after a vasectomy )

mischievous.gif
#41 of 55 Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 PM

I just saw this table (see table 4 on page 10) that compares pregnancy rates for many different contraceptive methods. It says perfect use of withdrawal results in in 4% of women using that method to get pregnant per year. If the method isn't implemented well that increases to 19%.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#42 of 55 Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It has worked for me with different partners...for the 19 years I have been having sex

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#43 of 55 Old 10-22-2009, 12:44 AM

Worked for us for 9 years other than the 2 times we ttc (happened immediately both times). If we really weren't willing to risk an unplanned pregnancy I would use an additional method.

I don't think it's a good plan for someone who is going to panic every month that they're pregnant.

Also, we're both very happy.
#44 of 55 Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 AM

I dont get those stats. I know my ex DID withdraw in time. I still got pg. Guess my baby is one of those miracle 4 % babies then?

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#45 of 55 Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 PM

I read somewhere (and I can look this up later if requested) that the first bit of ejaculate contains the most sperm. Just throwing this out there, but is it possible that some guys don't recognize this first spurt as ejaculation and so technically aren't pulling out in time? Withdrawal has worked for us for almost two years now, and I noticed dh always requires a few seconds of "manual manipulation" after pulling out to "o." I can see how it might be a problem if some guys are waiting until immediately prior to "o" to get out of dodge.

Alrighty, that's my overshare of the day.

9/2011 items decluttered
#46 of 55 Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodsma View Post
I read somewhere (and I can look this up later if requested) that the first bit of ejaculate contains the most sperm. Just throwing this out there, but is it possible that some guys don't recognize this first spurt as ejaculation and so technically aren't pulling out in time? Withdrawal has worked for us for almost two years now, and I noticed dh always requires a few seconds of "manual manipulation" after pulling out to "o." I can see how it might be a problem if some guys are waiting until immediately prior to "o" to get out of dodge.

Alrighty, that's my overshare of the day.
Insert my nodding in agreement

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#47 of 55 Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Withdrawal has worked perfectly for us for years. Don't believe the anti-withdrawal hype!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#48 of 55 Old 10-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Insert my nodding in agreement
Me too.
#49 of 55 Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 PM

I have DD1, so it doesn't always work.

Having said that, DH and I use it when we're not trying to conceive but not trying to avoid either, and it's been successful so far.

Annie '02, Juliet '04, Natalie '07, Maggie '08, Theodore 11/8/10.
#50 of 55 Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 PM

No birth control is 100% effective and after reading the research on withdrawal I am as confidant in it as I would be in condoms or any other form of birth control. The stats really reassured me. But I will say that while we aren't ready for another one right now, and don't feel led to have one a this time, we are always open to what God has for us.

It is the best choice for us (we've been using it 10 mo. now). No way will I abstain during 'fertile times' (with confusing fertility signals this equals 3 weeks out of every 4!) and I don't do condoms, spermicides or hormones.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#51 of 55 Old 10-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seie View Post
I dont get those stats. I know my ex DID withdraw in time. I still got pg. Guess my baby is one of those miracle 4 % babies then?
It falls into that small percentage where people get pregnant on the pill, with an IUD, while wearing a condom, without having sex.

I love the Jurassic Park line "Life finds a way." we always remember this in our NFP adventure!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#52 of 55 Old 10-28-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley84 View Post
Hormonal BC also kills my sex drive.
Oh my god, yes. It's actually really common for hormonal birth control to have a huge decrease on libido, but you never hear about that. I for one am completely incapable of getting off when I'm on the pill.
I'm planning on getting an IUD this month and I'm worried about the potential heavy bleeding and cramps, but every other form of BC seems to have other issues I like less.

Quote:
Hard to say. Withdrawal worked great for me for a long time. The night we made DS involved, um, kind of a lot of bourbon and several rounds, which I think made us a little less careful. Also, it works great for the first go-round, but if you're having sex multiple times in a row, it can be less effective.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#53 of 55 Old 10-28-2009, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do not wash your boyfriend's laundry and do not rely on anything other than abstinence."

mischievous.gif
#54 of 55 Old 10-29-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
Hard to say. Withdrawal worked great for me for a long time. The night we made DS involved, um, kind of a lot of bourbon and several rounds, which I think made us a little less careful. Also, it works great for the first go-round, but if you're having sex multiple times in a row, it can be less effective.
This is a really important point that a lot of people don't know. It's only considered to be 'used correctly' if you have sex ONCE and then wait at least (is it 18 hours?) before you have sex again.

#55 of 55 Old 10-29-2009, 01:39 AM

I can't find it now but I think if you do both properly, withdrawal is as effective as condoms.

We use withdrawal because we both hate condoms. HOwever, we use it knowing two things:

1. It would not be the end of the world if I got pregnant.
2. I really need to get on the whole copper IUD thing.

Good luck. You aren't alone!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page