Mothering Forum banner

October 2009 Charting to Avoid Thread

10K views 378 replies 27 participants last post by  BarefootScientist 
#1 ·
Welcome to the October 2009 charting to avoid thread. If you would like to be added or removed (or have anything changed) from the roll call list, please let me know by PMing me. PM me if you'd like to start next month's thread.

Here's a link to last month's September thread.
If you did not post in August or September, you may have been deleted from the list. If you were mistakenly deleted, or you would like to be added/removed, please PM me and let me know. I cannot promise to make changes requested in the thread, but I will try to get to everything.

*Charting/Using FAM/NFP to AVOID*

who we are:

54mama - since 8/09
Ajbaby - since 8/09
alicewyf - CTA since 9/09 plus 6 m before
AnnieA - since 12/07
annie2186
BarefootScientist - since 08/08 and 12 cycles in '05-'06
bbrandonsmom
brittneyscott - since 8/09
Carlin - CTA since 8/09
craft_media_hero
DanaMarie
eirual - CTA for 2.5 years
elonwy - since 8/09
Eresh - since 8/09
GriffsKat - since 4/09
heathermarie73
HulaJenn - since 4/09
JoyFilled
Kelm711
LadyBee
laurelg - CTA since 10/09, plus 16 months before
MarineWife - CTA for 10 months, now CFS&G
michelleoverby - since 8/07
mommyevekitty - since 9/09
momtokimari
motray36 - charting since 10/04
MovingMomma - since 02/09 + some time before
mystic~mama - CTA for 3 years
NaturalMindedMomma -
Nazsmum
nerdymom - CTA since 8/09
phatchristy
pmojzak
RaraAvis - CTA since 8/09 plus 13 months before
ScarletBegonias - CTA since 4/09
Smylingeyz - CTA since 06/08
whitekole
wholewheatchick - since 05/09

Graduates (no longer charting to avoid)
maggirayne -- CTA 02/08-10/08
JuicyPakwan - CTA 06/07 - 06/08 (?)
jul511riv - CTA 17 mo
Mrs_Lurker - CTA 11 mo
augustinem -- cta 6 mo
DanelleB - 12/07 - 05/08
Runner29 - CTA since 07/07 + 2 years previous
ShwarmaQueen - CTA since 09/07
BananaBreadGirl - CTA for 2 years
sk8ermaiden - 09/07-10/08
texaspeach - 10/04 - 01/09
cfiddlinmama - CTA 11/07 - 01/09 + more prior
CanidFL - CTA 06/08 - 02/09
Shell_Ell - (FF) (OS) 11/04 - 02/09 (15 cycles)
Juliacat - CTA 03/08 - 03/09, +33 cycles prior from 2001-2004
mommy2twobabes - CTA 7/08 - 03/08
Othermother'n'madre - CTA 02/08 - 04/09
cahwilson - 01/09 - 04/09
lacysmommy - 04/09-05/09
DucetteMama21842 - CTA 11/08 - 7/09
Danielle283 -
Teenytoona - 2/09-8/09
Virginia884 - 2/09 - 8/09
momongeon
Laggie - 1/09 - 9/09
wannaBmom_NICU_RN - 1/09-9/09
dachshundqueen - since 6/04

Pregnancies per Month (due to user error or condom failure unless otherwise noted)
February - at least 1
March - 2
April - 2
May - 2
June - 0
July - 0
August - 0
September - 1

Happy charting!

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry day rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak day rule: the last day of fertile mucous is called the peak day (the day before your mucous begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucous appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature shift rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2 degrees F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1 degrees F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books:
Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility and Honoring Our Cycles workbook, by Katie Singer
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition
by Marilyn Shannon

Websites:
Ovusoft charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
Author Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility website
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations:
AF: Aunt Flo, your period
BFP: what we are trying to avoid, a positive pregnancy test
CD: Cycle day
CM: cervical mucous (same as CF)
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
DPO: Days past ovulation
DTD: Do the deed
GIO: get it on
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucous/fluid
LP: Luteal phase - the time from ovulation until your period, average 10-16 days
LTL: low temp level (basically 1/10th below FAM's CL or on the highest of the 6 previous temps)
HTL: high temp level (4/10ths above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)

See less See more
#302 ·
Annie ~ I guess prenatals might be able to do that. I think I might remember something about some b vitamins lengthening the lp. Does that Target thermometer beep while it's taking your temp? Does it have a light? I like the BD basal thermometer but haven't been able to find one around here.

#303 ·
Yes, B Vitamins, specifically B6, can lengthen your LP. Obviously, so can Vitex! lol

MW: I bought my BD therm. on Amazon. I still like the purple CVS one best, but I'll wait till this one breaks or dies till I get another CVS one.

Oh, I temp at 6 everyday, regardless of when and how many times I have gone to the bathroom (I go at least 2x/night, almost every night) and that seems to have no affect on my temps. But forgetting to turn my alarm on and temping at 7:30, or trying to temp early because of travel at like 4:45 am, does have a significant impact on my temps.

AnnieA: I know how stressful vague charts can be...I hope yours clears up soon!

AFM: Ok, maybe it's just because I'm using the DIVA cup and therefore, the flow from AF isn't being soaked up...but I have the best quality EWCF I've had in my life! I mean, it's streaked and/or solid red, and I'm passing bits of tissue as well, so it definitely is a legimimate period, but seriously...it's kind of strange????

#304 ·
Ok - so I apologize - I know I have read the answer to this question like a thousand times since april, but I wasn't charting really

How do you share your chart? I spent like 45 minutes trying to figure it out on my own - I'm a blonde!

My temps are crazy - night nursing without co-sleeping seems to be a little crazy......I'm going to try and temp at 6:15 no matter what from now on - and if she wakes up within an hour of 6:15 I will just temp then and make a note of it - can't wait until she is sleeping through the night!

Is this Target brand therm sold IN Target or do you have to order it online? I really like the idea of it storing 5 temps!

Thanks ladies!

#306 ·
CD 29 for me - this will be the first cycle that lasted longer than 29 days since my cycles went back to normal PP. Normally I get my first temp spike on CD 17, then have a 28-day cycle. I had my normal temp spike I'm pretty sure, tho I took my temp an hour late on CD 17 this time, but even so, I'm not getting any PMS signs yet. The LP can last up to 2 days longer without indicating pregnancy, right? Can stress affect LP?

And I too am trying to figure out how to share my chart... which software is the most user friendly in everyone's experience?

#307 ·
Well, as a PSA for everyone out there, prenatal vitamins WILL affect your charting! At least it did for mine!

CD 1 here...http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1f0436

Target thermometers are sold in Target in the pharmacy area but they are sometimes tough to find. They either have plenty of stock or no stock. So it's hit or miss. It beeps when I turn it on and then beeps when it's done. It does not have a backlight so I just use my cell phone, which is also my alarm to read the temp.

Regarding temping times, I should put an asterick next to my "I always temp at 5 AM" statement. If I wake up at 4:30 AM and I have to go pee, I will go ahead and temp and then go pee. I don't temp again at 5. I've even done that at 3:30 AM and not seen a noticable difference. I don't however temp later than 5 AM.

Sharing your charts...if you enter your temps in to Fertility Friend, even if you just have the free version, you can get the link to share your charts. From the main page after you log in, hover your mouse over the word "Sharing" and it will make a new box pop up. Click on the words "Home Page Setup" and that will take you to a new page. Highlight the link, hit Ctrl-C and then when you are typing your response here, hit Ctrl-V and it will paste the link into your message. Hope that helps!

Oh and DH and I had a convo over the weekend about TTC. It's not going to happen. We are unable to reach a compromise. I have said this to myself before but I really mean it this time. I am NOT going to bring this topic up with him again. It's too painful for me to discuss and he is unwilling or unable to understand my viewpoint. I am going to continue to diligently chart though because I do not want an "oops" either. If I were to get pg, I would want it to be a thought-out choice.

#308 ·
Aw, Annie. I'm sorry.
for
, though. Your lp was 13 days this time. How long is it usually?

In FF I think you also have to check or uncheck a box that says other people can view your homepage, after you set it up.

I have a confession. I've been cheating. I posted on the Infertility and TTC boards. I wanted to tell someone about my hope to get pg while my dh is home and get opinions on preventing another m/c if I do get pg. Here are the two threads if anyone would like to read them. Infertility and TTC

(WWC ~ I see you found me over there already. I saw that you responded when I went to get the thread to post the link here.
)

#311 ·
Soy? Well, um, what's a lot? I don't drink soy milk (almond milk all the way!) and I try to limit our tofu and really try to limit the veggie "meats." So I probably eat a little less than 8 oz tofu/week, and 2 "servings" of veggie meats. Why?

Oh, speaking of other things I eat: I discovered that (anecdotally) eating lots of carrots can increase your EWCF. I will spare you the details of how many carrots I eat...my hands are quite seriously yellow. So I've decided to cut carrots from my diet (except when they're an ingredient in other things) and see if that affects my copious EWCF. If nothing else, maybe I won't be so yellow. Of course, it is now pumpkin and squash season...yum! lol But I couldn't tell from the site whether it was the carrots or the vitamin A.

#312 ·
I think it's the vitamin A but there may be something about what it's combined with in carrots, specifically, that makes it more potent. Although, I was assume that any yellow/orange root vegetable would have a similar chemical make-up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
Soy? Well, um, what's a lot? I don't drink soy milk (almond milk all the way!) and I try to limit our tofu and really try to limit the veggie "meats." So I probably eat a little less than 8 oz tofu/week, and 2 "servings" of veggie meats. Why?
I don't know why it just dawned on me that you are a vegetarian and, therefore, might eat more soy than the average person. Soy contains lots of phytoestrogens, plant estrogens that can mimic animal estrogens in the human body. Soy is one of the foods "prescribed" to women as a natural HRT. A couple of other foods high in phytoestrogens that you might eat a lot of are garbanzo beans and yams or sweet potatoes. Anyway, I was thinking that might be contributing to your cycle issues. I read somewhere that fermented soy products are ok (for general health, not sure about the phytoestrogen stuff) but all the processed soy foods are no better than any other processed foods. I can never remember if tofu is fermented or processed or neither. It's difficult to know your total soy intake because it is added to so many processed foods (if you eat them), usually in the form of soy lecithin, soy flour, processed soy proteins, soy fiber. All of those could contain phytoestrogens that would contribute to your total intake.

#313 ·
MW: Wow! You're sooooo right! I found this link that seems pretty reliable and balanced to me: http://www.endo-resolved.com/diet_phytoestrogens.html Apparently, a lot of the studies that are pro-soy are funded by Monsanto or John Deere or something, and a lot of the anti-soy studies are funded by the Dairy Council, but there is probably truth in both sides.

I also looked at a couple of other things, and basically, in premenopausal women, soy, even 60 g/day, can cause a significant decrease in LH and FSH, thus contributing to very long cycles.

Chickpeas and sweet potatoes are some of my favorite foods! lol Hmmm...fortuneately, I don't eat much dairy or eggs, and no meat at all. You're right; fermented soy is ok, but that basically only includes tempeh and miso. Tofu is actually pretty processed; not as bad as the veggie meats, but still. I rarely eat other processed foods. I definitely need to think more about this. But it makes a lot of sense...

Thanks!

#314 ·
I used to be a patent examiner at the US Patent & Trademark Office. I worked on bio-affecting chemical compositions, mostly pharmaceutical dosage forms and cosmetics. I even worked on contraceptives like the NuvaRing. Toward the end I got into a lot of "natural" and herbal stuff in cosmetics and some pharmaceuticals. From that I learned a lot about phytoestrogens and the like. I find it quite interesting that the drug companies fight tooth and nail to keep the public from believing that herbs are safe and effective and yet cosmetic companies put all kinds of herbs, plants and natural substances like honey in the products and swear behind scientific research that they work. You can't have it both ways. But, since there's no money in natural and herbal remedies since you can't patent naturally occurring substances, pharma companies do their best to discredit them.

I love chickpeas and sweet potatoes, too. We don't eat a lot, though, because I have boys. I think just about anything is ok in moderation. I don't think soy is the evil food that some people think. I also don't think it's the superfood that it has been marketed to be. You have to be very careful about any soy boosting done by Monsanto. It's almost certainly a gmo. I think soy is one of the most genetically modified foods so it's important to eat only organic soy when you do eat it.

I think a healthy combo of meat, poultry, dairy, fish and beans is good. Unfortunately, since it's so hard to get organic, grass fed, free range, wild caught food, it's virtually impossible to eat healthy today (at least for me). I can't afford to eat only organic fruits and vegetables. Organic animal products are essentially unobtainable. They are either too expensive or just not available. Even the "organic, free range" eggs at the grocery stores are fed vegetarian only, soy based diets. That ain't natural for chickens. And, apparently, free-range does not necessarily mean free to roam where ever. It's also difficult because my kids don't like most of the organic foods we have access to. It's so frustrating.

#315 ·
It's funny how this thread is so quiet some days, and then other times...there'll probably be 3 or 4 other responses by the time I get this typed out!

AnnieA

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
With FAM, you don't need to record CF at all to confirm O. All you need is temps. So, the fact that you had no CF in the week leading up to the cd18 thermal shift doesn't matter.
I know this particular situation is already resolved, but I thought I'd say I actually disagree with this. It is true that if you wanted you could just do temps and no CF and still see when you O'd. But on the other hand, she was recording cervical fluid and saw that she had none, so I think that does need to be taken into account, you can't just ignore the fact that had NO CF right before the temp rise.

On the question of when to temp...I think it does depend on how much you move around when you wake up. If you're just rolling over and nursing a baby in bed, I would not worry about the wake-ups, but if you're getting up to go to another room it might matter more. I have noticed that just moving around in bed doesn't seem to affect my temps, but temping more than an hour or so from my usual time really messes things up (see my crazy chart this cycle with temps taken between 4:30 and 7:30
).

Edit: I also wanted to add that I do think getting as much sleep as possible before you temp is best. I don't know if the 3 hours is a hard and fast rule, but I've found for myself, the more the better. In grad school I went through a time when I slept twice a day, once for 4.5 hours and once for 1.5 hours. I temped after the 4.5 hours, and my temps were uninterpretable, even though they were always taken at the exact same time after the full 4.5 hours of sleep. So, I think, the more the better.

Smylingeyz - LP is not affected my stress I don't think. Your O date could be, but you said that was the same as always? Your LP can vary by a day or two, yes, so I wouldn't be too worried until a two days or so from now. Share your chart and we can help more.
I've found fertility friend to be really easy to use.

Thermometer question - how long do your thermometers take to register the temp and beep? Especially those of you using the Target ones? It seems like mine is taking forever lately. I wonder if that is a signal that the batteries are dying? Or maybe that the thermometer itself is dying?

#316 ·
Quote:

Aw, Annie. I'm sorry.
for
, though. Your lp was 13 days this time. How long is it usually?
My LP is usually 11-13 days. The thing that was throwing me off was that I had very little spotting leading up to today. Normally, I spot quite a bit. I'm guessing the B-complex vitamins in the prenatals has helped that?

#317 ·
My Chart:

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/26af7e (thanks AnnieA!)

I don't agree with the ovulation date - like I said, my temping times are crazy! Night nursing and she doesn't co-sleep (room won't allow the bed to be placed safely against a wall).
So I am not completely sure if I will be able to get a reliable temp shift or not until I get her weaned! I am using creighton ALONG with temping at first - I was kind of looking forward to FORSURE knowing I had ovulated - but I can always keep a lookout for CM. If I remember correctly I am usually pretty darn dry after my peak until maybe the day or two before my period.

Is that normal? like a few days of more fertile CM after your period and a few days right before? Is it just the estrogen surge before you AF........but what about right after?

Well, here is to another looooong cycle!

#318 ·
Quote:

I have a confession. I've been cheating. I posted on the Infertility and TTC boards.
I'm just glad that you feel like you can be honest about it

I don't know if any of us have really "monogamous" feelings about babies. . . Sometimes I think the only thing scarier than having another baby would be never having another baby. . . Thennn I get home, cook dinner and TRY to put the house together AGAIN and I think 2 might not be a bad number of progeny

Oops, and. . .
My Ovulation Chart
Looks pretty clear, right? LAZY on CF, I know. But Saturday was a definite peak.
Here's the thing, I've had a helluva cold since monday, and dd has been getting me up 6+ times a night (once because, I swear, there were "jellyfish in her hair", she was still mostly asleep) So, I'm tempted (get it?) to wait for more than one more temp to be sure I'm not just having a cold and flu temp increase.

#319 ·
Quote:

I have a confession. I've been cheating. I posted on the Infertility and TTC boards. I wanted to tell someone about my hope to get pg while my dh is home and get opinions on preventing another m/c if I do get pg. Here are the two threads if anyone would like to read them. Infertility and TTC
CHEATER!
Well, we all know you aren't really avoiding anyway.
I just wanted you to know I read your threads and have absolutely no input, as I don't even have any idea what most of the stuff you're talking about IS.
But I wish you the BEST of luck.

annie2186...I wouldn't assume that you won't see a temp shift. I would keep temping and see what your next O looks like. (Were you temping for the last? I forget.) Because your highest temps are still below 97.5. Post-O temps typically (of course not always) get above that so even though they are erratic you may be able to see a clear thermal shift. Hope so!

#320 ·
Thanks for the answers ladies! Totally OT but my little one slept from 9 pm until 5am, last night! YEAHHHHH!!!!

So the Mirena came out today. One of the midwives gave me crap. She said that she HATES removing them this soon because of the expense to the INSURANCE COMPANY???? WTF??? I am telling this lady it hurts, I am SOAKING pads and we cannot make love because of my husband getting his foreskin tore everytime and she is talking about my insurance company??? I had to say firmly, I WANT IT OUT like 6 times.

Anyway.. So I will temp tomorrow am.
, gotta go set up my fertility friend chart. I forgot my old info! LOL

#321 ·
annie ~ I definitely don't see a thermal shift on your chart. Keep temping and recording CF. You may still see a thermal shift. I don't think it's normal to have a couple of days of ewcf right after AF and then dry up and follow the normal CF build up pattern. You may be mistaking AF tissue for CF. My AF tissue is sort stringy and slippery. I can see how it could be confused with CF.

rara ~ I'd wait for one more high temp. I don't think you have 3 above your CL. I'd put your CL at just above 96.8. Only 2 temps above that.

BFS ~ Thanks. I doubt most people understand what's going on in my head. My question is probably something that can't be answered, anyway. I don't really want to do anything to make it more likely for me to get pg. I just want to make sure I'm set with all I need to prevent another m/c if I do get pg. I'm seeing my GP today for some other stuff so I'm going to bring all this stuff up. He'll probably just refer me to an OB but I'll try with him. I'm a little concerned that once person said she was told she had to take low dose aspirin all the time because of her homozygous MTHFR mutation. I was not told that and am not on low dose aspirin.

#322 ·
Haven't been on-
WWC-sorry to see af, hope this cycle is better for you. Your lp is longer though this time

MW-I don't know the answer to that. Other than to eat as healthy as you can, excersise, live a healthy lifestyle and have faith. I do take a vitamin daily and also a B Complex that has extra folic acid in it. I don't know that there is a definate answer to prevent a mc. The thought does frighten me if we do concieve again.

Speaking of wich, we've been fighting, so I haven't been temping, since I've been sleeping no in bed, so only 2 temps. I temped today and will try for the rest of the cycle. I O'd on d15 last cycle, which is about normal for me prior to the mc. I figure if my temps go up and stay high in the next few days I'll assume I O'd. When af appears I'll count back and see what was going on 13days prior as far as temps or not. I won't know if it's an annovulatory cycle though. I've had a lot of spotting w/ ewcf since about 2 days after af stopped. At the moment, I do not want to get pregnant the way things are going. I'm all for abstaining this whole month.

#323 ·
I thought I subbed to this thread but I guess I didn't.

I'll just be reading for a bit, and I'm going to start charting next month. I just had a D&E on 10/13 for a missed miscarriage (my second in three months; I had another one on 7/31) and I really need to not get pregnant for a bit. I'm thinking we'll start trying again in February or March.

I do have a question here about cervical mucous is anyone wants to look:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1154939

I'm also feeling kind of resentful about having to chart, and broody and wanting another baby. I know it's best to wait. Two first trimesters and losses back to back just about killed me. But I don't want to.
It might be outside the scope of this thread, but I'd love advice on dealing with the emotional/psychological side of all this.

Thanks, Barefoot Scientist, for suggestion I join way back in my other thread. Sorry it took me so long to get here!

#324 ·
AM, I just replied in your other thread asking about CF so check there for my answer.

With regard to feeling resentful about having to chart while wanting to make a baby, join the club sister! There are a number of us ladies here that are CTA even though we really want to TTC. I will be CTA until menopause.

#326 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffsKat View Post
AnnieA, how long have you been CTA? Does it ever get laborious? Or does it just get to be something you do, like brushing your teeth?
I've been CTA for almost 2 years now. This is my 26th cycle CTA. It doesn't get laborious but I definitely have periods of resenting it because I know that I am doing this to avoid having a child and that is not my choice but I am respecting my husband's choice. It has become just something that I do every morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.