October 2009 Charting to Avoid Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2009, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just used that calculator and got 51, the average age. i'm not sure i understood all the questions because the page didn't load properly so it was hard for me to read. i wasn't sure what to answer for climate. i guess, technically, nc is temperate but it sure gets hot in the summer. the question didn't say whether it should be hot year round or only part of the time. also, since we move around a lot, who knows how that will affect things?

i know there are women over 43 who get pg but the relative chances are slim. that's controlled a lot be heredity. obviously, if there's a family history of late pgs or late menopause, you should take that into account. overall, though, the chances of conceiving and having a live birth drops dramatically by age 43. i didn't realize there was such a huge difference between 40 and 43, 25% and only 1-2%, respectively. so, it may be that you can have a baby at 40-41 but not at 43.

bbm ~ the only issue i have with what you are doing is that you won't be able to definitively confirm O without those 6 pre-O temps. that doesn't mean you won't see a thermal shift. you just won't be able to know four sure that it's O. if you and your dh don't mind the slightly higher risk, it doesn't really matter. i don't think it's necessary to continue temping through your lp if you have a confirmed O.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 03:42 PM

MW: It is a long time to think about CTA but for religious reasons, DH and I would not do anything permanant. It really doesn't bother me any more to chart. It used to. A lot. But it's like anything else I do every day. I have to take medication for my thyroid and I will have to forever I think. So what's one more thing, you know? FF might get mad at me for keeping charts on there for 10+ years w/no BFP though! Man, am I screwing up their stats?

DH's reasons for avoiding are usually reasonable but when there is no way (other than a miracle or winning the lottery) to get college funds set up for these four kids by the time they are ready to use them, I just can't tolerate that as a reason any more. These kids are all gifted...I have no doubt that they can get some sort of scholarship!

Another reason that he has is how it would affect the four existing kids. Their mom has had three more kids with her current DH and they are pretty much responsible for raising them. So they get kind of resentful of the whole baby thing. I've tried to explain to him that I would not be putting the responsiblity of raising a child on them and that it would be different in this house but I think he's having a hard time getting past that. Also there's the idea that we are being "irresponsible" because that would be a total of five kids. We're struggling right now (mostly because DH was unemployed for six months) but I'm not saying I want to get pregnant THIS CYCLE. I would just like to have a more concrete plan in place that what currently exists.

If I have any tips on this convo, I'll pass them along. So far, my past attempts have ended up in a HUGE argument and both of us pretty upset.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 10-17-2009, 03:50 PM

Ok. So there's no way I'm going to be able to confirm ovulation this cycle. My child ran off with my thermometer way too much. How do I share my chart? It looks crazy. haha. And my sleep is erratic. Partially due to babies, and partially due to having friends who work nights so when they are off they want to go to midnight showings of movies and such.

Bri: mom to K: and M: at 27 weeks and 33 weeks :
Old 10-17-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
MW: It is a long time to think about CTA but for religious reasons, DH and I would not do anything permanant. It really doesn't bother me any more to chart.
It's not really the charting so much that I was thinking would be a pain. It's the constantly avoiding part. Course, there's really no way to get around that, especially with the reason you are doing it. I won't do anything more permanent, either, and I have told my dh that I am very strongly against him doing anything. I don't think he would do anything without my knowledge and consent. If he did, I would seriously consider divorce. Not because it would mean no more children for me, but because making a permanent decision like that on such a serious matter without consulting me would be unforgivable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
If I have any tips on this convo, I'll pass them along. So far, my past attempts have ended up in a HUGE argument and both of us pretty upset.
Yeah, that sounds like us. We end up angry because neither one of us will budge at this point. It's hard because both sides are valid.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:23 PM

That calculator says 58 for me. Great. Nearly 30 years of CTA? You've got to be kidding me. Ok, we got to get this conversation on the roll and make a decision. If he says no to a V, I don't know what I'll do. I guess I'll shut my barn doors until I know I've ovulated. Oy. I don't like that idea.

Anyone else get insomnia like the 3-4 days before AF? I have an awful time trying to fall asleep and I don't sleep very soundly either. But once AF comes, it's like BAM! And I'm out!

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
Old 10-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
That's great, Annie! I find that my dh (and my kids) is more willing to talk about things if I tell him I want to talk but give him time to think about it. How old are you? I can't remember.

I was thinking about charting until menopause. 10+ years is a long time. But, I wonder how likely it really is to get pg past, say, 45. I hear occasionally about a women who's 42 or 43 getting pg but I can't think of ever hearing of a 45+yo woman getting pg naturally. I know it happens but it seems pretty rare. So, I thought maybe I would only have to cta for 5-6 years. Then it occured to me that the reason so few women in their 40s get pg is because they are on bc. I bet that age group is more likely to take bc and be very diligent about taking it correctly. I wish I could find stats of women 40+ and 45+ getting pg naturally without trying.
Well - I go to a traditional Catholic church and I know of 3 women getting pregnant pretty well into their 40's. I think one was 43 and 45 (same girl - had just gotten married) one was 43 and 46 (approximately) I cant remember the age of the other - just that she was in her mid-40's. If you are charting, I think you are "fertile" until almost 50! At least if you don't want a suprise!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 10-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post
Well - I go to a traditional Catholic church and I know of 3 women getting pregnant pretty well into their 40's. I think one was 43 and 45 (same girl - had just gotten married) one was 43 and 46 (approximately) I cant remember the age of the other - just that she was in her mid-40's. If you are charting, I think you are "fertile" until almost 50! At least if you don't want a suprise!
I agree that any time before menopause you are potentially fertile. See the stats I posted above on the chance of women in their 40s getting pg. Those are stats of women who are trying to conceive (I think, since they come from fertility clinics). The chances of getting pg naturally past the age of 43 are pretty slim. They are pretty much the same as being on the pill. Like I said, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. We all know it happens. It's just very, very unlikely, unless you have a family history of late pgs or late menopause, as I also said before.

I don't think I'd want a baby after 43. At this moment, I don't think I'd even want a baby at 41 or 42. That could change, though. I used to say I never wanted any children. Then I said I didn't want to have any babies after 30. That has obviously changed.

I wonder how many women chart until menopause and would know whether they are still Oing the entire perimenopause time. Maybe at the end, since cycles become so irregular, it's a lot of anov bleeding.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Fascinating conversation about menopause and avoiding forever. I'm not sure if I would want to do that or not. I have a feeling dh would be all over getting a vasectomy if I even got pregnant again, whereas I would be more inclined to chart until our last child was 3 or so and we knew without a shadow of a doubt we didn't want more, yk? Or I may even be wanting to chart forever (well, I probably will be charting until menopause even if DH does get a vasectomy - now that I have that info about my body I don't think I'll be able to give it up. ) I think I will be seeing that become a point of contention for us over the next several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
I can't help wondering how extended breastfeeding affects the duration of a woman's fertility. It seems logical that by releasing fewer eggs during years in LAM, she would have more eggs left in later years.
This is something I have often thought about too. But also your eggs start dying off faster as you age, right? So maybe extended breastfeeding doesn't really give you more time. I don't know - if anyone knows of any info on this I would be very interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffsKat View Post
Anyone else get insomnia like the 3-4 days before AF? I have an awful time trying to fall asleep and I don't sleep very soundly either. But once AF comes, it's like BAM! And I'm out!
No insomnia here, actually the opposite. I seem to sleep more the few days of AF and even into the new cycle (took a nap today!).

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 10-18-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
This is something I have often thought about too. But also your eggs start dying off faster as you age, right? So maybe extended breastfeeding doesn't really give you more time. I don't know - if anyone knows of any info on this I would be very interested
I've been thinking about this, too. The question would be, do eggs age all on their own or does the presence or absence of certain hormones make them age slower or faster? Or, maybe it's a little of both. Cell degeneration happens over time. I can see how breastfeeding would cause one to have more eggs at at older age since 10-15 eggs begin to mature every cycle but only 1 (or sometimes 2) are actually used. The rest are absorbed by the body, right? They don't go back to being dormant until the next cycle. So, the longer you breastfeed and the longer that keeps cycles from coming back PP, the more eggs you'd have for a later time. That calculator gives the most common known causes of earlier onset of menopause but nothing about breastfeeding.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:02 AM

New moon day. Anyone have anything going on that coincides with that? Does that mean the new moon was last night or will be tonight?

I've got possible news. My temp went way up this am after a big dip yesterday. It's above my CL. I need to 2 more temps to confirm O so I'm trying not to get too excited yet. Now, if my cf will just dry up. That would be cool because, one, my O would coincide with the new moon the same way it did last cycle and, two, it would be right in line with FF's timeline prediction based on my past cycles.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:11 AM

I've got nothing going on. In fact, it's rather confusing that I don't. I fully expected to wake up to a temp increase this AM because my CF dried up yesterday. But nothing. I'm almost wondering if my therm is still working properly? I've had such crazy temps this past week. Based on my CF, I expected that I was O'ing yesterday even though I still had increased sex drive last night . I guess I'll go a couple of more days and see what my temp does. But it's very confusing!

My chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1f0436

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Annie ~ Do you think it's possible you Oed on Wednesday, cd11? If you use the ROT to ignore your cd6 and cd10 temps because they are so much higher than the rest, you have a CL just below 97.7 and a thermal shift starting cd12.

Here's my chart.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Annie ~ Do you think it's possible you Oed on Wednesday, cd11? If you use the ROT to ignore your cd6 and cd10 temps because they are so much higher than the rest, you have a CL just below 97.7 and a thermal shift starting cd12.

Here's my chart.
I considered that but my CF was just ramping up at that point instead of drying up. I had VERY noticable CF this cycle. I started taking prenatal vitamins (for a variety of reasons that I will detail below) and it has made me have TONS more EWCF than I normally have. Like a lot. So much. Crazy amounts! So for that reason, I don't think I O'd on CD 11.

Reasons for taking prenatals:

1. I needed some extra iron and when I looked at the ingredients in the New Chapter Organic Prenatals, it had everything I wanted all in one supplement instead of taking a couple of different ones.

2. If DH does come around and decide to TTC, I don't want to have to delay it for a few months so I can get extra folic acid in my system.

3. There is always a chance that I could accidently get pregnant because we use W/D during my fertile period (yes it's against the Church but I'm working on that with DH) so I don't want to have to be worried about birth defects because I didn't have enough folic acid.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:03 PM

Yeah, Annie, the ewcf is what's confusing things to me. Also, I guess if you use NFP rules, you can't confirm O since you don't have a temp above your HTL.

momtokimari ~ If you are using FF, make sure that your homepage preferences are set to share your chart. Then just copy and paste the link at the top of the homepage setup page. To get to that, click on the "sharing" button on your charting page.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post
Lol I go to a traditional Catholic church too! Don't suppose you live in NH and we go to the same church? I can back that up though, I know quite a few women who had their last in their mid 40s, my mom had one at 42 and still hasn't started menopause, and my sister-in-law's mom had her last at 48.

Ok I don't have my chart up online yet, but I have a question: I'm on cd 19, and my temp always goes up on cd 17 or 18, but i didn't wake up to my 6 am alarm the last 3 days in a row, and took my temp almost 2 hours late all 3 days. It was way up where it should be, but do i have to still assume i haven't Oed till i get proper temps? My CF started drying up a few days ago, was tacky the last 2 days, and today is gone. My cervix is also closed and hard. Basically, I'm following my normal pattern of going into phase 3, but dont know what to do with the temps. Do i have to start my 3 day count over? If not, going by my normal pattern, CF, and cervix, I can consider myself "safe" tonight.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:12 PM

If it were me and my chart, I'd probably start the three day count all over again. But I'm paranoid of getting pregnant. That being said, I did the billings method for about a year after we had my daughter, if you know anything about billings it's that you only watch your fluids and position. We didn't get pregnant just by following that. It's my understanding (those who know better, please correct me) that if there is no fertile fluid for the sperm to live in there is little to no chance of pregnancy.

So, if there is no fertile fluid, I would think you'd be ok, but if you want to be sure, start the three day count tomorrow, or today if today's temp was at time.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 PM

Ok, so here's my chart

I'm the worst charter ever. But since I'm not getting any right now, I suppose it's a non-issue

Old 10-18-2009, 10:20 PM

come on, guys. you're killing me. I can say with complete certainty that I don't want to have a baby at 48!

smyling ~ Where are your temps if you adjust them? I'd say if you have one more day of cf dry up, you can consider yourself safe tomorrow after 6 pm. According to FAM, you need 4 days of cf dry up before your safe. If you don't get a clear temp confirmation, though, you'll have to start over again if you start getting wetter cf.

As far as sperm surviving in non-fertile cf, sticky is supposed to be infertile but TCOYF says it is still possible to get pg from sex on a sticky day.

momtokimari ~ Your chart doesn't look that bad to me. I'd almost say you had a thermal shift starting cd17 except for the fertile cf after that.

I've been completely dry all day after having gobs of ewcf that was unmistakable. I think this might actually be O for me. Waiting with bated breath.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
come on, guys. you're killing me. I can say with complete certainty that I don't want to have a baby at 48!
Ditto! No way. I'm thinking I don't want any after 30. I want to enjoy some "me time" while I'm still young. Especially given as I started early.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:47 AM

So I had spotting here tonight, 11dpo. I am 1yr pp and breastfeeding. So far my lp's have been about 12 days with a day of spotting before actual AF. I thought I was in the clear, but when I logged that spot into Ovusoft it tells me that spotting at this point in the cycle could mean I am pregnant. GAK! I personally was thinking that it was just af showing up earlier than expected. But I thought that lp's don't change? I thought that if your lp was 14 days or whatever it wouldn't change from that. Can they change? Especially if I am still breastfeeding several times a day?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:07 AM

So, I am 3 dpo right now. But yesterday and today I have had some pink tinged cm, what would cause that? Im starting to get a little worried because my first pregnancy sign with ds was light spotting kinda like this. It would be too soon for that though wouldn't it? We are using withdrawal, and dh is pretty sure that he pulled out in time.

My chart http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/299211

Me + DH = DS (7) and DD born 10-27-11, an accidental UC!!  novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.gif 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

MW - looks like O! Hoping it is! I meant to ask, when does your DH come back?

AnnieA - huh. Your chart does look funny. See what your temp does tomorrow I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffsKat View Post
It's my understanding (those who know better, please correct me) that if there is no fertile fluid for the sperm to live in there is little to no chance of pregnancy.
Correct, as long as you wait the 4 days. I once ovulated 3 days after I had ONE DAY of watery CF Intercourse on one of the days between that day of CF and my temp rise resulted in DS.

GriffsKat - let me see if I understand - your LP is usually 12 days and you are spotting at 11 dpo? That is within the range of normal. Your LP can vary by up to 2 days. And while nursing, mine varied a lot more, it has been as short as 8 or 9 days, when it is usually also 12. So don't worry! It's probably AF.

AFM, CD 3 and absolutely nothing to see here.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ajbaby - is it possible that it is from DTD? It is really early for it to be implantation spotting. I don't know, but I did get some very light spotting like that at 4 dpo a few cycles ago, and I wasn't pregnant. Maybe someone else has more info.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokimari View Post
Ok. So there's no way I'm going to be able to confirm ovulation this cycle. My child ran off with my thermometer way too much. How do I share my chart? It looks crazy. haha.
I used a little piece of velcro to stick my thermometer under the top shelf on my nightstand, and the little DD has never found it. . . Good luck!

*BETH* mother of DD (8) and DS (6) along with 2 dogs, 2 cats and about 100 chickens
Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 AM

Well, I have made it to 10 DPO: longest luteal phase yet! http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/277407 Crossing my fingers for at least a few more days...

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 10-19-2009, 10:18 AM

WWC ~ I've been wondering where you disappeared to.

Griff ~ Under normal conditions your lp shouldn't vary by more than 2 days in one direction. In other words, if it's usually 12 days, it could vary from 10-12 days or 12-14 days but shouldn't vary from 10-14 days. I hope that makes sense. Initially getting cycles back after having a baby, especially while breastfeeding, can make things wacky for a while so that your lp might start out really short and/or vary quite a bit for a few cycles. However, if you've established that your lp is 12 days, spotting at 11dpo is within normal for getting AF, especially if you usually have a day or 2 of spotting before AF. 11dpo spotting can also signal a pg but it's doesn't necessarily. My lp is usually 12 days and I always get spotting 9-11dpo when I'm pg but I don't get spotting before AF comes. Now that I've blabbed on and on and probably not made much sense my point is that it doesn't sound like anything you need to worry about at this point.

Aj ~ Spotting at 3dpo is way too early for implantation. It's essentially impossible and your O day looks pretty clear. I'd say it's either O spotting that took a while to work it's way down and out or your cervix has been irritated somehow, if not from dtd maybe from checking CP.

AFM ~ Temp today 0.1 degree higher than yesterday, 97.6. It's looking more and more like O.

BFS ~ My dh should be home before Christmas.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:40 AM

Thanks ladies. I shouldn't have worried, but I always do. I had a temp drop this morning, like coverline. I'm expecting AF to rear her ugly (but most welcome) head any time today. Right on schedule.

I'm really glad that this is working, I mean, like the logistics of it and everything. I am gaining more confidence in using this until we figure out something more permanent. Still working on him with that. I told him last night that I might have 30 more years of fertility. I think that sort of struck him, he hadn't thought of that. I really really don't want to be getting pregnant at 48!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:59 AM

My chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1f0436

*SIGH*

Is my therm broken? It seems pretty risky to change therms in the middle of cycle but after 5 days of pretty much the same temp, I don't know!

Arrrrghhhh!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:50 AM

Stupid notifications...I missed, like, 10 pages this weekend!

Well, Im on CD17 and have remembered to temp 2 of those days . Lovely!

Wife to a wonderful man since June '04, mommy to a beautiful 3 year old son and 1 year old daughter.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

WWC - are you going to test? How are you and DH holding up with the anticipation?

Quote:
BFS ~ My dh should be home before Christmas.
Well, that's exciting. Getting closer!

AnnieA - I guess you might try a different thermometer if you can. You could always temp with both of them until you figure it out. The only other way I can make heads or tails of your chart is, as MW said before, ROT those two high temps and say you O'd cD11, but that doesn't look right either, especially with your CF pattern.

User Tag List