Is night weaning my only choice? - Mothering Forums
Family Planning > Is night weaning my only choice?
mlis's Avatar mlis 12:54 AM 02-10-2004
I posted this on the family bed board, but it probably belongs here instead..

Ds is 17 months, I really want to get pregnant again by Julyish.. So far I have no signs of returning fertility. I've been told that I have to night wean him to get pregnant again. Here's the rub. I LOVE nursing him. He nurses 5+ times a day and at 8, 10, 1, 4, 6-7 at night.. He barely eats any solids, I'm getting a lot of flack about that also, totally different subject though. I'm glad that he can nurse as much as he needs at night. He's a great sleeper, nurses down around 8, wakes up between 6:30-8. When he wakes we cuddle, roll around and he playfully nurses for about an hour...

I'm not opposed to night weaning him, but don't really want to deal with it and I don't want to stop something that he so obviously loves. We were going to start at the beginning of Jan.. Now I'm thinking March?

So, I guess my choice is night wean or not get pregnant this summer?? Any suggestions for me? Comments?

Can I night wean for a bit, get pregnant and then start again?? Will I want to at that point?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

firstatfourty's Avatar firstatfourty 02:28 PM 03-22-2004
My ds still nurses thru the night and is 11 mo old, my cycles returned even though she nurses day and night. She is not too fond of solids either. Maybe you can cut back a little on day nursings? Good luck with whatever you choose.
Aaudreysmom's Avatar Aaudreysmom 05:13 AM 03-25-2004
If both of you love this relationship then why change? Why not add the new baby when he slows down on the nursing on his own?
Up