IUD opinions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm sure none of you have an IUD as we all just had babies, but does anyone have any opinions/experiences on/with them? copper versus mirena? pain? periods? anything...

i'm planning on getting one at my 6 week checkup and am confident it's what i want and we need, but i'd love some words from you guys.

although, this birth and baby are so easy, it's made me contemplate 3! i just need to win the lotto first

thanks mamas!
#2 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 01:13 PM

I had a horrendous time with my IUD. It was a no hormone type, it gave me terrible aneamia because I bled really heavily each month and I could feel it during sex - and it freaking hurt! Put me off sex for ages.
#3 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 PM

I didn't have any issues with the Mirena IUD, other than some light bleeding at first, and my husband could sometimes feel it. This being said, I didn't realize that it had hormones until after the doc put it in (I know, I should have done my homework). I also didn't like knowing I had "something" in there. I'm not sure what I'll do after this pregnancy, but I would consider an IUD again, despite the concerns I just raised.

Mommy to The Boy (August 2006) and Another Boy (November 2009)
#4 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 03:37 PM

i had an Mirena IUD i HATED every day of it i could feel it at all times and it hurt! it messed up my body somehting bad! i would NEVER recommend one to anyone =-(

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#5 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 10:53 PM

I had a Mirena IUD for about 3 years. I loved it. It never bothered me, and my periods went away. :-) I had like maybe 1 period every 6 months that lasted a day.

I had my Mirena removed in July, and my dh was working in another state. I got pregnant in December, which was the first month that he and I were both in the same place while I ovulated! lol

Good luck with your decision!

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#6 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 AM

I have had two IUD's, first one was placed at 6 weeks pp with my 2nd child and it dislodged and needed to be removed. The 2nd one I had in for over a year and it did cause heavy painful periods but it also dislodged, but this time into my uterus completely and I had to be put under a general to have it removed. Needless to say I am not having an IUD again. We used FAM as our birth control after DH had his vasectomy reversed, this last baby was conceived 5 days before ovulation and was our second vasectomy reversal baby, DH is going back for another vasectomy, with 5 kids we are DONE though.

Erin : ~~ unschooling mama to DD (12) , DS (11) :, DS (8) and DS (3) , DD Soleil Emily Meadow (9-18-09) born at home in the water
#7 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 AM

I wasn't in this ddc, but I saw your thread. I had the copper IUD, and had zero issues with it. In the beginning, I had a slightly heavier flow and more cramps. But, that went away after a few months. I must admit, I really loved it. I never thought about it, never worried, and felt really comfortable with it - despite the horror stories people told me!

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#8 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 05:19 PM

I had a Mirena for about 2 years and finally had to have it removed because of all the problems it caused. Painful intercourse, breast cysts, non-stop bleeding (yes, for almost 2 years), and finally, the metal wire/string retreated up inside and had to be fished out with a pair of hemostats. I was trying to talk DH into a vas. when I had it removed, and we were in negotiations about it when Camry was conceived

My OB said that I am obviously in that small percentage of people for whom it just isn't a good option. I know women who have had theirs for several years, had new ones placed, and love it.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#9 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 06:13 PM

I had a copper IUD for a few years and really liked it. I'm back and forth between that and TL next Thurs when I go in for my appt. *sigh*

I know TL is probably the better choice, but I am really struggling with the idea of not being able to have another if. We don't *want* another now, but the idea of not having that option at all is hard to wrap my head around.
#10 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Hi, moving to Family Planning Please PM me with any questions, thanks!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#11 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 PM

I really like my copper iud. Yeah, my periods went from 4 days of light flow to 7 days of varying flows, with one or two heavy days, but no cramps or other side effects. Totally worth it, IMO. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't already have difficult periods.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#12 of 18 Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriu View Post
i'm sure none of you have an IUD as we all just had babies, but does anyone have any opinions/experiences on/with them? copper versus mirena? pain? periods? anything...

i'm planning on getting one at my 6 week checkup and am confident it's what i want and we need, but i'd love some words from you guys.

although, this birth and baby are so easy, it's made me contemplate 3! i just need to win the lotto first

thanks mamas!
If you are breastfeeding than the hormone ones are not an option at all. ie Mirena

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#13 of 18 Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 AM

I have an non-hormone IUd that I have had for the past five years with no problems. I can't feel the string but my cervix is wonky so I never expected to. I got it when I was still ebf my youngest. My five years are almost up and I plan to get another.
#14 of 18 Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipmummy View Post
If you are breastfeeding than the hormone ones are not an option at all. ie Mirena
This is why I was peeved about not knowing that it contained hormones (again, I SHOULD have done my homework before stupidly allowing my OB to insert one at the 6-week postpartum exam... she knew I was nursing, even told me this was a great compromise over the pill because of the nursing...).

My understanding is that the FDA doesn't recommend any hormonal contraception in breastfeeding moms, but it can still be used safely. :

From wiki:
Progestogen-only contraceptives such as an IUS are not believed to affect milk supply or infant growth.[26] However, a study in the Mirena application for FDA approval found a lower continuation of breastfeeding at 75 days in IUS users (44%) versus copper IUD users (79%).[27]

Levornogestrel is found in nursing infants at 7% of the concentration found in their mothers using the Mirena IUS.[7] A six-year study of breastfed infants whose mothers used a levonorgestrel-only method of birth control found the infants had increased risk of respiratory infections and eye infections, though a lower risk of neurological conditions, compared to infants whose mothers used a copper IUD.[28] No longer-term studies have been performed to assess the long-term effects on infants of levornogestrel in breast milk.

There are conflicting recommendations about use of Mirena while breastfeeding. The U.S. FDA does not recommend any hormonal method, including Mirena, as a first choice contraceptives for nursing mothers.[7] The World Health Organization recommends against immediate postpartum insertion, citing increased expulsion rates. It also reports concerns about potential effects on the infant's liver and brain development in the first six weeks postpartum. However, it recommends offering Mirena as a contraceptive option beginning at six weeks postpartum even to nursing women.[29] Planned Parenthood offers Mirena as a contraceptive option for breastfeeding women beginning at four weeks postpartum.[6]

Mommy to The Boy (August 2006) and Another Boy (November 2009)
#15 of 18 Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM

I had a Mirena from December 2007 until May 2009. I had bleeding 2x a month for about a year, by the end of the year it was just spotting though. I stuck it out because the very very effective contraception i provides was vital for us at that time. I continued to spot a little when AF would have been here. I didn't suffer much with side-effects - very painful pre-menstrual breasts for 2 weeks before AF, BUT that really almost totally cleared up with daily EPO.

I had it removed in the last week of May, in July i had a loss at 4+3 (i.e. the day after the BFP, which was faint), then fell pregnant again right away and lost that baby 6 weeks ago at 6+4. I'm now pregnant again, 6 weeks today and everything seems to be going much better. Since having it out i have been effectively continuously pregnant, however though my ovulation resumed right away my uterine lining wasn't thick enough. If you get one you might want to have it removed 3-6 months before you want to ttc and wait for the return of decently heavy AF's before you ttc. My bleeding even from losses was very light by my stadards and i believe some of the progesterone from the Mirena was still in my system, making it had for me to build a decent lining. I took junior aspirin for 3 weeks before i concieved this current pregnancy and i think it made a real difference.

I plan on getting an IUD again, but the copper one next time. FWIW i never felt it, it didn't hurt and it didn't get lost or cause other issues. It went in, stayed in and came out without any hassle.
#16 of 18 Old 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM

I haven't been pregnant, but I love the Copper T non-hormonal IUD, which I had for 8 years without any problems.

Something not mentioned yet is that it is *really important* who puts it in. Get a doctor who has done hundreds, if not thousands. They're not super tricky, but if you have a tilted uterus, long/short cervix, just had a baby, etc. then you want someone with a lot of experience who can place it properly so that you don't have any problems. I think many problems listed above could potentially have been because of practitioner.
#17 of 18 Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 PM

nak. have had copper iud for almost two years. had it put in after dd2 was born. was fine with it until i started having af again at 18 months pp. af is much heavier and i'm pretty concerned about the amount of blood loss from it. also i'm starting to question the morality of it. i've been charting too for informational purposes and it has not prevented ovulation. which means for the past two cycle we could have easily conceived, then miscarried because it didn't let the embryo implant. its really eating away at me. i want this thing out.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#18 of 18 Old 10-15-2009, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mamas, how do you know if the IUD has implanted? I have the copper IUD for about a year now, and we felt the strings in the beginning but not anymore. I sometimes have this pain low low low in my left abdomen and sometimes wonder if maybe it got embedded or something? On Friday I am going for a physical and to have it removed. Dh and I want to TTC #3 and I am ovulating next week. We got PG right away with the two other babies, hoping we will be as fertile again. Hoping my uterus will be healthy and ready. Anybody else conceive right after removing the copper IUD - like within a month?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page