Mothering Forum banner

Charting to Avoid, November 2009

10K views 320 replies 36 participants last post by  MovingMomma 
#1 ·
Welcome to the November 2009 charting to avoid thread. If you would like to be added or removed (or have anything changed) from the roll call list, please let me know by PMing me. PM me if you'd like to start next month's thread.

Here's a link to last month's October thread.
If you did not post in September or October, you may have been deleted from the list. If you were mistakenly deleted, or you would like to be added/removed, please PM me and let me know. I cannot promise to make changes requested in the thread, but I will try to get to everything.

*Charting/Using FAM/NFP to AVOID*

who we are:

Ajbaby - since 8/09
alicewyf - CTA since 9/09 plus 6 m before
Angelique
AnnieA - since 12/07
annie2186
annettemarie
BarefootScientist - since 08/08 and 12 cycles in '05-'06
bbrandonsmom
Belle - CTA since 11/09
bicyclingbethany - since 7/06
brittneyscott - since 8/09
claddaghmom
clark - since 10/09
eirual - CTA for 2.5 years
elonwy - since 8/09
Eresh - since 8/09
GriffsKat - since 4/09
HulaJenn - since 4/09
JoyFilled
laurelg - since 10/09, plus 16 months before
MamaGwynn - since 11/09
MarineWife - CTA for 10 months, now CFS&G
mommyevekitty - since 9/09
momtokimari
motray36 - charting since 10/04
MovingMomma - since 02/09 + some time before
NaturalMindedMomma -
Nazsmum
nichole
pmojzak
RaraAvis - CTA since 8/09 plus 13 months before
SactoMommy
Smylingeyz - CTA since 06/08
tinams8 - CTA since 11/09
turnquia - CTA since 11/09
whitekole
wholewheatchick - since 05/09

Graduates (no longer charting to avoid)
maggirayne -- CTA 02/08-10/08
JuicyPakwan - CTA 06/07 - 06/08 (?)
jul511riv - CTA 17 mo
Mrs_Lurker - CTA 11 mo
augustinem -- cta 6 mo
DanelleB - 12/07 - 05/08
Runner29 - CTA since 07/07 + 2 years previous
ShwarmaQueen - CTA since 09/07
BananaBreadGirl - CTA for 2 years
sk8ermaiden - 09/07-10/08
texaspeach - 10/04 - 01/09
cfiddlinmama - CTA 11/07 - 01/09 + more prior
CanidFL - CTA 06/08 - 02/09
Shell_Ell - (FF) (OS) 11/04 - 02/09 (15 cycles)
Juliacat - CTA 03/08 - 03/09, +33 cycles prior from 2001-2004
mommy2twobabes - CTA 7/08 - 03/08
Othermother'n'madre - CTA 02/08 - 04/09
cahwilson - 01/09 - 04/09
lacysmommy - 04/09-05/09
DucetteMama21842 - CTA 11/08 - 7/09
Danielle283 -
Teenytoona - 2/09-8/09
Virginia884 - 2/09 - 8/09
momongeon
Laggie - 1/09 - 9/09
wannaBmom_NICU_RN - 1/09-9/09
dachshundqueen - since 6/04
twilight_girl

Pregnancies per Month (due to user error or condom failure unless otherwise noted)
February - at least 1
March - 2
April - 2
May - 2
June - 0
July - 0
August - 0
September - 1
October - 0

Happy charting!

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry day rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak day rule: the last day of fertile mucous is called the peak day (the day before your mucous begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucous appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature shift rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2 degrees F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1 degrees F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books:
Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility and Honoring Our Cycles workbook, by Katie Singer
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

Websites:
Ovusoft charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
Author Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility website
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations:
AF: Aunt Flo, your period
BFP: what we are trying to avoid, a positive pregnancy test
CD: Cycle day
CM: cervical mucous (same as CF)
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
DPO: Days past ovulation
DTD: Do the deed
GIO: get it on
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucous/fluid
LP: Luteal phase - the time from ovulation until your period, average 10-16 days
LTL: low temp level (basically 1/10th below FAM's CL or on the highest of the 6 previous temps)
HTL: high temp level (4/10ths above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)

See less See more
#5 ·
It's in the first post, after graduates. We've only officially had one oops pregnancy since May, that was last month. But just between you and me, I think some of the people I've deleted off the list in the last few months because they haven't posted got pregnant and just forgot to come tell us...

#6 ·
MW, in regards to your last post in the last thread, if she is on the Pill, how could your cycle synch up? Or maybe yours could still synch up with hers...hmm. Does anyone know the actual biological mechanism between women synching up their menstrual cycles. It has to do with some pheromone but how would that relate the cycles themselves?

Edit: I googled a bit and found no good answer. That it happens, and it's probably because of pheromones but nobody knows how exactly it works...

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
maybe yours could still synch up with hers.
This is what I was thinking. It may just be coincidence at this point. This is the only time I know of that our cycles have synched but I haven't been tracking her cycles. I just thought it was interesting that my lp was a day longer than usual and
just happened to start the same day as my friend. I know she was on the pill but she was having trouble with it so she went to talk to her doc about it. I don't know if she stayed on it or quit taking it. I'm pretty sure she stayed on it because she says she can't have another baby for medical reasons. I'm going to ask her.

How many people have you deleted recently? You think they all got pg and just didn't tell us?

I may not have to worry about getting pg at all. Because of the one day difference in my lp I may not O while dh is home. I do have a nice weekend planned for us. My mom is going to stay with the boys so we can get away for 2 nights. That will be so nice. I think the last time we spent a night alone together was in 2002 or '03.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
It's in the first post, after graduates. We've only officially had one oops pregnancy since May, that was last month. But just between you and me, I think some of the people I've deleted off the list in the last few months because they haven't posted got pregnant and just forgot to come tell us...

Forgot about that! I just clicked through to the charts linked under grads...that was fun!

#9 ·
Hi everyone! Thanks for the new chart, BFS.

Here's my chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/277407 I've had spotting today, too. 3 days of it seems rather strange, but maybe that's better than full blown AF, right??? lol

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
How many people have you deleted recently? You think they all got pg and just didn't tell us?
Oh no, certainly not. I have noticed one or two people in the DDCs that used to be here with us, but never told us they were pregnant. I'm not going to name names.

I deleted quite a few people this month, who haven't posted in the last few months, just to keep the list from being unwieldy. I definitely don't think they all got pregnant, I'm sure most of them just haven't posted.

Btw, if I deleted you, it'll be really easy for me to add you back in, just PM.
I just don't want to deal with the whole huge list of people who don't post.

#11 ·
I don't need names. I had to delete a lot of people, too. I think you're right that most probably just stop posting. Once you get the hang of charting there's really no need to post here unless you're like me and just like talking about charts and cycles.

#13 ·

Hi, I'm new here. I'm hoping to CTA at least until spring, when my DD turns 3 and I've lost some weight and am eating better than I have been.

I pulled my IUD out about 3 weeks ago, thanks to a thread on here, I did it myself and saved myself a trip to the midwife. Since then I've been temping in the AM, but I'm co-sleeping with my 2yo DD, so my temps seem a bit all over the place.
Let's see if I can post my link.

Looking forward to learning from you wise mamas.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smylingeyz View Post
With the hour time change, should we mark it or transition to taking it at the new time so it doesn't affect our charts? Just curious.
Different women do this different ways. I just start taking it at the "new" time. I use my cell phone as my alarm and the time changes automatically on it so I just wake up when it goes off at 5 AM.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I may not have to worry about getting pg at all. Because of the one day difference in my lp I may not O while dh is home. I do have a nice weekend planned for us. My mom is going to stay with the boys so we can get away for 2 nights. That will be so nice. I think the last time we spent a night alone together was in 2002 or '03.
Awesome. Have a good time.

Quote:

With the hour time change, should we mark it or transition to taking it at the new time so it doesn't affect our charts? Just curious.
Since I wake up with the baby, and he can't tell time, he's still waking up when he would have and I am temping then. I just haven't marked it on FF as a different time.

#18 ·
Quote:

TCOYF has a formula for changing your temp time gradually. I think you are supposed to start doing it 2-3 days before the time change, though, so it's too late now. I've never bothered. I would just take my temp at the new time but record it as the same time. Your temps should even out in a couple of days if they are off.

Thanks, momtokimari. I'm sure we will have a wonderful time. If nothing else, at least we won't have to jump out of bed in the morning and immediately start running around changing diapers and making food for little mouths. I wish I knew of something romantic to do where we're going. There's a dinner cruise thing on the river that looked fun but they don't have anything scheduled for the weekend we'll be there. I have found a couple of good restaurants at least.

NMM ~ Are you pre-O?

#20 ·
I am pre-O. I am actually EBFing so I am not sure I am even ovulating. My AF has not returned (just bleeding from the Mirena). I am charting to see if I am ovulating at all at this point.

I got to temp this AM which made me feel better. There was just no way to temp yesterday with dropping the thermometer. But my temps are all still within the same range so I am sure I didn't ovulate yet.

#21 ·
I forgot about the time change, but I don't think it effected my temps. From Sat-Sun my temp went from 96.7-97.1 and it's been up since. Guess it could be the time change? But even if I take my temp at a diff time within the same hour, it's either the same or changed by .1, like 96.3-96.4.

MW-very true about people prob just got the hang of charting. I'm pretty sure I got it, but it's nice to come here.

#22 ·
My temps have been a tad bit higher the past few days, but I'm not sure if that is because of the time change, coming off my period, or the cat waking me up at 5 am the past two days! I just take my temp at 6, same as always, and figure it'll be ok.

Well, even though I "get" charting I don't "get" MY charts, lol. So I love this thread!
Even though we're not even technically CTA.

Nothing exciting to report, CD 10 and Dry or Sticky. I am REALLY hoping that cutting out soy is going to help!

#23 ·
clark - Welcome! You've been added.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
I forgot about the time change, but I don't think it effected my temps. From Sat-Sun my temp went from 96.7-97.1 and it's been up since. Guess it could be the time change? But even if I take my temp at a diff time within the same hour, it's either the same or changed by .1, like 96.3-96.4.

MW-very true about people prob just got the hang of charting. I'm pretty sure I got it, but it's nice to come here.
I've noticed that I'm more active on this thread in my luteal phase and just as AF begins and then I taper off for a while until O time.

bbm, I don't know if I would call O on your chart yet. Be cautious. Especially since you only have 3 low temps before the temp jump. And what do the open circles mean?

AFM, Oing nowish/soon. Here's my chart.

#24 ·
Hi everyone! Still hanging in here...since this is my first charting cycle back since DS was born, I'm still kind of all over the place! Between trying to remember to temp, weird waking hours, and BFing, I know I am not going to have a "real" cycle for a little while! That being said, Im at CD32, with no clue if I've O'd!

to no oops-es in so long (that we can confirm
)

clark - welcome!

Smylingeyz - I dont worry about the time change unless its right around O time...then I just keep it in mind when I interpret. For me, it usually doesn't have too much of an effect.

MarineWife - have a great time! That sounds like a dream

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NaturalMindedMomma View Post
I am pre-O. I am actually EBFing so I am not sure I am even ovulating. My AF has not returned (just bleeding from the Mirena). I am charting to see if I am ovulating at all at this point.

I got to temp this AM which made me feel better. There was just no way to temp yesterday with dropping the thermometer. But my temps are all still within the same range so I am sure I didn't ovulate yet.
I think you are supposed to count the day you got the Mirena out (or maybe it's the first day of bleeding after getting it out) as day 1. If you are pre-O and have sticky cf, I wouldn't worry about the one missed temp. The only reason I asked was if you thought you were close to or had just Oed and had sticky cf after fertile cf and missed that one temp, it could be important. Then again, one temp isn't really that important at any given time. If you had just Oed, you would've just had to wait one extra day for confirmation. No biggie.

bbm ~ i agree with bfs. i am not confident that you Oed because you don't have enough temps before cd17. your thermal shift could be due to the time change. you might expect your temp to go up 0.2 degrees. plus the ewcf after cd17 makes O even more questionable.

welcome clark

#26 ·
I dunno if this is a dumb question but does heavier periods have to do with an imbalance or something that can be changed? Because before I got prego I used to have 3-4 day periods, after my cycles came back they were 5-6 days, which sucked... but the last 2 cycles have been 9 days! Last month I thought I was having a miscarriage, but it's the same this month. It's awful... the last 2-3 days are pretty light, but still, going from what it used to be this is a nightmare. Anyone know why that may be happening and if there's anything I can do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.