Charting to Avoid, December 2009 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies! CD 3 here for me and so far, I've been able to tolerate the cramps w/out any prescription meds so yay for me!

With regard to the CF discussion, I rarely see sticky and I usually only see creamy if I check internally. My EW though is VERY noticable. Because I am lucky enough to usually O between CD 12-16, I don't pay attention until I see EWCF and we go by the 5 day rule. The first 5 days are safe and then after that, we abstain or use back-up until I confirm O.

So I switched my thermometers finally. I got one of the BD therms that I think MarineWife said she uses. It beeps every four seconds until it's done and then it has a back light. Yesterday morning, DH was so tired that he didn't notice it. This AM, it started it's beeping thing and after the second or third beep, he rolled over and said "WHAT is that?!?" Hahahahha!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

AnnieA: yeah, I was using that BD one, until it was annoying me more than DH! So I switched back to the CVS brand, which so far is my favorite.

MW: I would definitely put your O date at CD 16. Is it possible that that dip 5 DPO is an implantation dip? I think your O looks very clear, and your CF pattern is perfect for O of CD 16. In my opinion.

AFM: I'm fighting of being sick, and we're travelling tomorrow, so I'm thankful that I'm just at the beginning of this cycle. I asked my MIL to buy whole milk yogurt, and I'm bringing my Cod Liver Oil with me! I really hope that these food changes are enough to convince my ovaries that it is safe to reproduce. Though it might not help that I am now training for a few 10 Km. races in Feb.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 12-23-2009, 12:46 PM

Oh and yeah MW, I agree with WWC. Is it possible the dip yesterday was implantation? You usually implant early if I recall, right? Don't you start getting faint BFPs at 7 DPO?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 12-23-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
MW: I would definitely put your O date at CD 16. Is it possible that that dip 5 DPO is an implantation dip? I think your O looks very clear, and your CF pattern is perfect for O of CD 16. In my opinion.
I was hoping that might be an implant dip. I do wonder if I implant early since I get such early BFPs. However, I usually get a little dip at 4dpo. It's never gone down to or below my CL before that I can remember. Also, that 5dpo may not be lower than usual because I slept with my mouth open and I took some ibuprofen right before bed because my nose was burning so much. Do you think ibuprofen could affect my temp 7-8 hours later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie
So I switched my thermometers finally. I got one of the BD therms that I think MarineWife said she uses. It beeps every four seconds until it's done and then it has a back light. Yesterday morning, DH was so tired that he didn't notice it. This AM, it started it's beeping thing and after the second or third beep, he rolled over and said "WHAT is that?!?" Hahahahha!
I lay sideways and muffle the beeping with my pillow because I was afraid it would wake up the kiddos. No one seems to notice. My dh can't complain, though, because his alarm watch goes off every morning between 5 and 5:30 and I have to kick him because he doesn't wake up. I keep telling him to turn it off but he forgets.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:07 PM

I am thinking about getting a better thermometer, does the one you guys have light up? I would like the beeping, I sometimes get confused about whether I turned it on or not in my half asleep daze...

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 PM

Mine only beeps when I turn it on, and then one longer beep when it's 'done' with my temp. It doesn't light up but I reallllly wish it did. I've missed temps several times because I get up at 530am, temp and then turn the thermometer off and go back to bed, only to realize when i get up for the day that it didn't save the temp, and since it was pitch black, I don't have any guess even of what it was.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 12-23-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinams8 View Post
I am thinking about getting a better thermometer, does the one you guys have light up? I would like the beeping, I sometimes get confused about whether I turned it on or not in my half asleep daze...
The BD basal thermometer has a light, beeps continuously while taking your temp and saves the temp automatically. The reason I like it the most is because it does beep. In the dark without the beep I'm always afraid I didn't turn the thing on and it's not working. I've been having a hard time finding it in the stores recently, though. I used to see it everywhere BBT thermometers were sold but not anymore.

I just realized that I adjusted my temp wrong this morning. I took it at 5:15 and it was 97.7. Adjusted, it should only have been 97.9, not 98 like I put in. I'm going to fiddle with my chart and put both temps in to see what happens.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:11 AM

I am having problems deciding what to put on my chart for the CM, I feel so stupid I don't know if im in the creamy or watery phase, I am pretty sure im not in the sticky and I think I would know if I was in egg white phase. I read the tutorial on it I think FF has it as lesson #5 but I just don't understand this.

And on another note my DH thinks the only time its safe to not use a backup method is the first 2 weeks after my cycle starts... I told him he was wrong and he got all pissy and told me that my judgment is why we have our son. Am I wrong? I thought that it was only the first week because the sperm can live in me for like 4 days or something like that. And then after I O like 4-6 days later we would be safe again and he says not until my new cycle are we safe again. Anyway I think im doing the charting wrong.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:31 AM

Did your dh read the lessons on FF? That might be a quick way for him to catch on a little. You're right and he is wrong. Are you temping?

I have a hard time distinguishing between creamy and watery too. I find rubbing it between my fingers gives me a better idea but sometimes I'm still not sure. I find myself thinking, well not cream, maybe a thin lotion, but not like body butter or anything...

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

Old 12-24-2009, 02:23 AM

although the it IS interesting how everyone's CM pattern is different - I don't see why it is a big deal to discern between watery/creamy/EWCF.

Unless your BIP is sticky (in which case you would need to figure out what sticky is for you) ANYTHING else you would need to abstain if you did not want to get a BFP.

That being said - if I feel ANY kind of sensation when I wipe, I consider that fertile. It may just be me, but it has been pretty accurate thus far. I have alot of sticky (and sometimes it even stretches) but I NEVER feel a sensation when I wipe if it is sticky no matter how much there is.

Sorry if that was TMI

POGO - your husband is wroooooooong!!!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 12-24-2009, 04:08 AM

Pogo- I agree with the PP...it doesn't really matter if its creamy or watery for CTA purposes. But for me, the difference is in the clarity- creamy is opaque/white; watery is pretty much clear.

Does anyone have info on how to become a FAM teacher? I'd really like to be better equipped on disseminating this info!

Minimalist-living mama on an urban ecovillage with DH and DS- Jack (9/18/09)
Old 12-24-2009, 11:44 AM

What everyone else said, Pogo. Your dh seems to have it opposite. The only part of your cycle when you are absolutely safe is after O (which is not necessarily a 2 week period but you know that). If he won't listen to you, find something he can read about it. Does he understand that one you O, you are only fertile for 24 hours at the most?

On the CM, like annie said, when CTA it's not critical to distinguish between creamy/water/ew. Your BIP can only be either dry or sticky. Creamy can never be a BIP and must always be considered potentially fertile. I do understand the desire to understand the differences. I think TCOYF says a lot of women never get watery, just sticky/creamy/ewcf. I agree with bethany that creamy is usually white/opaque and thicker like skin cream or lotion (which can be somewhat runny but doesn't flow like water). Watery can be whitish but not as opaque and is very thin. Either way, though, you are potentially fertile so use caution.

bethany ~ I have never heard of any FAM classes. Their are other methods that offer classes, Creighton and NFP. Maybe look in the back of TCOYF for resources or check out the Ovusoft website.

AFM, I had another inaccurate temp today. Another night of sleeping with my mouth open and waking up at 5 am not able to get back to sleep. My temp at 5 am was 97.8 so I adjusted it to 98. I took my temp at a little after 6 and it was still 97.8 but that was after just lying awake in bed breathing through my mouth. I did fall back to sleep and took my temp when I woke again at 8 am and it was only 97.5.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my temp was 96.4 this morning! Is that even possible? How am I still alive? I should have checked my pulse, too! lol I think I slept with my mouth open or something...I haven't been feeling too good. The next two weeks are going to be kind of crazy, since we'll at my in-law's in Pennsylvania, and travelling around a bit.

I like what Annie2186 said about sensation. THAT makes a lot of sense to me, because sometimes it seems like my sticky stretches (even though I know it shouldn't) but it still feels like sticky when I wipe. The only time that rule wouldn't work for me is after I have worked out and am sweaty...wow, good thing we're all over the TMI thing.

ETA: I found the BD thermometer cheapest on Amazon

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 12-24-2009, 01:42 PM

Vag sensation is very important. You are supposed to record whichever is most fertile, either vag sensation or CF. For example, your peak day is your last day of watery/ewcf OR lubricative vag sensation. It really annoys me that FF doesn't have a thing for vag sensation.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 PM

Me again. I just changed all my adjusted temps back to what they really were even though they are way out of my regular temp time. I just don't feel comfortable adjusting all of those temps even though the temps as they are don't fit in with the rest of my temps. When I did that, on FAM, FF took my CH away completely. On Advanced, FF keeps moving my O day around from cd16 to cd17 and now back to cd16. I'm definitely not fertile right now because my CF has dried up and my CP has moved to infertile. I know it may look like my CF is becoming more fertile again but it's following the same pattern it always has during my lp. So, I really don't know what to think. I still think it's very probable that I did O on cd16 but I'm less and less sure. Ugh, this cold and dh disturbing my sleep!

Here's my chart. It's set on the Advanced O detector for now.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Thank you ladies, getting him to read anything is really hard. He just hates reading. I like the rule of if there is any sensation to use a back up method also. I think we will just stick with that!

Just a question for those of you that use condoms, what brand do you use? We used one today and I really did not enjoy it. I have never used them before and now I never want to again. But maybe we should use a different brand... Thanks!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:22 PM

I buy our condoms online from condomdepot.com They have a thinness rating on each condom. We love the crown skinless condom. It is the thinnest you can buy. Hubby had to actually look to see if there was a condom on it's that thin. You must must must use lube on the inside and out to help with friction. But they are the nicest we've found yet.

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
Old 12-25-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Vag sensation is very important. You are supposed to record whichever is most fertile, either vag sensation or CF. For example, your peak day is your last day of watery/ewcf OR lubricative vag sensation. It really annoys me that FF doesn't have a thing for vag sensation.
Yeah, I really learned that this cycle. So remember I was talking about having sticky CF with watery CF? Well, it was also with a lubricative vaginal sensation. And I knew at one point I should record that, but I got caught up in the "is this sticky or is this watery?" question. For CTA purposes it didn't make any difference since I was treating it as fertile, but I would like to know where I'm at! So anyhow, it appears I O'd. My chart. The circle on the last temp was for temping at 5:15am instead of 5:45am.

So ... for added drama. DH and I had a couple of long talks. And he's conceding on the whole "having another child" issue. This time for real, I think.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Old 12-25-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Here's my chart. It's set on the Advanced O detector for now.
I agree with your chart, I think it looks very clearly like you O'd. I'm sorry it's causing you strife and taking away cross-hairs.

AFM - cycle day 8, still experiencing some spotting which is odd for me. I'm usually a straight 3 days, skip a day, finish off on day 5 kinda girl. Temp is off a bit because I slept in until 8:30 this morning :P I'm still trying to remember when 8:30 turned into sleeping in. The Booger stayed at her Nana's house last night so I got some extra sleep today. I suppose there was also the margarita on Wednesday night, I don't know if that affects temps or not. Not terribly concerned about it, I don't expect a temp shift for another 10 days or so.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 12-25-2009, 01:31 PM

Eresh ~ Looks like O to me.

lyetrae ~ I don't think one margarita would affect temps much. I wouldn't worry about it until you had 3+ drinks since that seems to be the lower limit for being drunk. I wish I could figure out when sleeping til 8:30 became a late morning, too. I've been waking up around 5 am lately and can't get back to sleep.

I'm really going to try to leave my temps as they were at the times taken rather than adjusting. I think 5 am might be my new wake up time, at least while dh is home. My temp was way, way up this am but I was hit with some sort of stomach thing last night that I'm still feeling a bit this morning. I just feel sick. Bleh...

Old 12-25-2009, 10:07 PM

MW- still looks good...

Ereash, I'm glad he's coming around! very exciting!

AFM- nothing to report. I think I'm CD 5? I went from massive blood loss days 1 and 2 to spotting/nothing. strange AF.

Tina

Old 12-26-2009, 11:25 AM

lol CD1 here...LOL so with all that BDing... I still managed to miss the egg haha.

add me back to TTA. LOL dh and I decided to wait now to have a spring baby if possible. so we'll be TTC in like June/July/August if possible. If we get an oops then no big deal for but we will TTA for now because of some financial aspects as well. (Boooo) lol

Mama to a zoo!
Old 12-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Continuing with the CF/vag sensation discussion, if I have no noticeable CF but I have a very cold sensation, should I mark that as creamy? That's what I did. I'm just not sure if I should record it as anything since I can't see any CF at all.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Continuing with the CF/vag sensation discussion, if I have no noticeable CF but I have a very cold sensation, should I mark that as creamy? That's what I did. I'm just not sure if I should record it as anything since I can't see any CF at all.
Do you ever wipe before you use the bathroom? That's what I teach people in my classes to do although I never do. If you do that, try to notice what it feels like as the toilet paper is moving across. Does it glide or is it rough? That should help you figure out what to record if you are not seeing anything.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Do you ever wipe before you use the bathroom? That's what I teach people in my classes to do although I never do. If you do that, try to notice what it feels like as the toilet paper is moving across. Does it glide or is it rough? That should help you figure out what to record if you are not seeing anything.
I do checked with my fingers before using the bathroom but have not tried wiping before. I'll try that next time. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Ladies! Hope everyone had a good Christmas and that the happy holidays are continuing. I know that I have been way too much! lol

Because I first learned to chart using the Creighton method, and they're all about CF, I learned to be really conscious/watchful of it. So, to check: I tear two swquares of TP off (still connected) and then fold them into a square/rectangle. Wipe. Go. Wipe again. Wipe untill ALL CF present is on the tissue. During my super fertile times, sometimes I need a new tissue! Decide on the sensation BEFORE looking at the CF. Well, you're supposed t do that, but I need to get better at it! I also bear down and then check right before I go to bed, and whatever time it is, that is my last recording for the day.

You're also suppposed to check before and after swimming, after working out, and before showering, and at night, too, but I'm not so exact about that. I have just noticed that I never have any type of CF beyond sticky when I go to the bathroom at night.

That said, CD 10 for me, and super dry.

I don't want baby dust, exactly...can we have O dust?

Old 12-26-2009, 03:37 PM

CD1 here after having spotting for the last two days after a pap. At least I'm assuming that this much isn't from pap irritation! lol

And looking back over my chart now, FF altered my O date to what I thought it was, and now it looks perfectly normal and wonderful. Much better! Onto next month.

Oh and when we start the January thread, I've technically been CTA since January of 2008. We haven't always been the most commited to it, but since it's been our primary method of BC and we haven't gotten pregnant, I guess I get credit anyways! haha

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 12-27-2009, 07:13 PM

Last month I O'd on the 18th and I figured it would be the same, unless I O'd on the 17th last month as well. Last month was a crazy month because I traveled, changed time zones from So Cal to NY, ran a fever, etc. This month was much more normal, minus a cold I caught, but no fever from that and it hit yesterday.

Here's both of my charts.

What do you think?

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Blueone: I think that looks pretty good, but personally, I'd wait for another day of dry-up of CF, just be sure, but I'd say awesome! Very clear thermal shift.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:30 PM

Blueone ~ I think that looks like a pretty clear thermal shift, too. I'd say on both your charts O day could've been either cd17 or cd18. I agree with WWC that you might want to wait for one more high temp and day of cf dry up since you had some ewcf after your O day.

AFM, I'm pretty sure I'm not pg. I've been poas since 7dpo (really before then but those don't count) and all have been bfn. I know at 10dpo it's early and it's still possible for me to get a bfp but I usually get them very early. Whenever I've gotten a bfp after 10dpo, I've m/ced. So, I'm still poas and still hoping but mostly just killing time until arrives in 3-4 days.

User Tag List