Paragard (copper) IUD periods - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just wondering those of you that have presently or used to have a copper IUD what your periods were/are like? I just went thru my first period after having it inserted a month ago, and definitely NOT happy. Yes I was warned it makes your periods heavier, but I didnt think it would be like this. I used to have a great easy 2-3 day never cramps cycle, now today it the end of day 5 and its much lighter, but I dont know if I can deal with this every month!

Also, I went for a sonogram about a week afterwards because I swore I felt it! They checked said it was sitting "comfortably" but I still dont know. I have to go back again this thursday for another sonogram (they also think they found a cyst but I was ovulating so it may of been a follicle), I am debating on whether or not to just have them take the darn thing out!

Proud mama of 2 beautiful boys!! One born 2/2009 and the other 5/2011
#2 of 25 Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 AM

I hate mine. I also was blessed with a 2-3 day moon, no cramping, but now it lasts ten days, bleeding heavily the entire time.

I've had 2 moons so far and both times I soaked through an ultra ob tampon & a pad an hour. I haven't used a Diva Cup (duh!! Diva cup!) because, well, I have an outhouse, and it is also majorly cold where I live. Which they said was nothing to call in about because "some women bleed more than others". I don't like being out and about and having to take more than one change of pants with me! Instead of wearing paper pads I now just wear ds's flats....but I really hate mine too. Not worth it!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#3 of 25 Old 12-08-2009, 08:32 AM

Mine were HEAVY for about 8 months before tapering off to a reasonable level. I've had one period since it was removed and I had forgotten how light my periods normally are. I would fill my Diva Cup multiple times a day, whereas normally I can just empty it in the morning and at night and it's not even a quarter full.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#4 of 25 Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 AM

I had one for 3 yrs. The first 6 mos. were especially bad, my Diva cup was overflowing every hour or more on the first 3 days, and my periods lasted a week or more. After the first 6 mos. they were only 5-6 days, and still heavy but not as bad. I took my IUD out in May and was shocked at how light and short my normal periods really are-- 3-4 days of changing my diva cup 1-2x a day.
The IUD was worth it to me to have the no-hassle, totally effective birth control, but I was glad to have it out, too.
#5 of 25 Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsk View Post
Mine were HEAVY for about 8 months before tapering off to a reasonable level. I've had one period since it was removed and I had forgotten how light my periods normally are. I would fill my Diva Cup multiple times a day, whereas normally I can just empty it in the morning and at night and it's not even a quarter full.
this is exactly what my periods were like! I called the gyno this morning to see if I can have them take this IUD out when I go in thursday, they said they have to talk to the doctor and see! They better take it out! lol

#6 of 25 Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikimezz View Post
this is exactly what my periods were like! I called the gyno this morning to see if I can have them take this IUD out when I go in thursday, they said they have to talk to the doctor and see! They better take it out! lol
I don't see why they wouldn't. It only takes a second to remove.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#7 of 25 Old 12-08-2009, 02:53 PM

I HATED my paragard. I had it for about 18 months, I guess? My cycles had always been about 5 weeks, with 4 days of AF. When my periods returned after dd#2 (I'd had the paragard in place since 6 wks post-partum), they were horrible: 21-24 days long, with bleeding for about 10 of those days. Heavy, heavy, crampy af's. It was AWFUL. What's the point of being able to have spontaneous sex if you're, um, out of commission for 10 out of every 24 days. It just sucked, and I was SOOOO happy to get the thing out. My cycles returned to normal within a month.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#8 of 25 Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 PM

I had a paraguard for about 6 months. My periods (which had normally been very predictable, light, no cramping) grew increasingly heavy, lasted 10 days, etc. There was no way I could control the bleeding--I bought ultra super max tampons and still had to change them every half hour or hour. Yuck. Had it removed, and it took about 2 cycles to get back to my normal level of bleeding.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#9 of 25 Old 12-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Also, I could feel it distinctly for about a month--you're not crazy. My ob was dubious, but I could definitely feel it. Not exactly uncomfortable, just sort of....there. Really, I could feel it very slightly the whole time I had it in. Maybe I was imagining it, but I really could sense it there.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#10 of 25 Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 PM

I've had mine in since the beginning of February, so 10 months. Just started my tenth moon, I believe. I swear it's like the elevator doors opening on the Shining, or whatever movie that was. I STILL fill up my mooncup every hour for the first 2 days. I use post-partem cloth pads the rest of the time.

I swear I feel the thing. If I have any sort of bloating, it feels like a knife. When food moves by my uterus in my intestines, it feels again like a knife.

I don't think it's gotten better since I've had it. I used to have nice light 4 day periods. But this is beyond heavy...beyond. I keep hoping it will get better, and I don't really want to spend money on something else as hormones do not work for me. I really want a ladycomp, but that's a lot of money for me right now .
#11 of 25 Old 12-09-2009, 02:40 AM

When I had mine, I was bleeding about 50% of the time. The heaviest days (first 48 hours of AF) I would overflow my Diva Cup in about an hour and a half, day and night.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#12 of 25 Old 12-09-2009, 07:42 AM

Yikes! It sounds like some people have had some pretty bad experiences with heavy bleeding!

I've had my paragard for 2 years, and love it so much. My periods are heavier, but not unamanagable. I have zero cramps. It's my favorite form of birth control, by far.
#13 of 25 Old 12-09-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmojzak View Post
I've had my paragard for 2 years, and love it so much. My periods are heavier, but not unamanagable. I have zero cramps. It's my favorite form of birth control, by far.
Did you have any problems in the begining with heavier periods or anything? I read that some people say it takes a few months for your body to adjust?

#14 of 25 Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post
When I had mine, I was bleeding about 50% of the time. The heaviest days (first 48 hours of AF) I would overflow my Diva Cup in about an hour and a half, day and night.
I should add that I had mine for a year and a half and it never got better.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#15 of 25 Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Sorry ladies. I did have spot bleeding ahead of my period but that was it. Had it for 6 years and was preg immediately after I took it out.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#16 of 25 Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Did anyone ever feel like they were constantly aware of their IUD and felt it?

#17 of 25 Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 PM

Mine were longer and heavier. I went from what would be considered medium flow on my heaviest day to super heavy. I gave up using my diva the first couple days because it would overflow super fast. I also went from 5ish days to 7-9 days. I only had it a couple months before it fell out so I don't know iif it would have gradually sorted itself out or not.

I wasn't aware of it though DH was. Certain times of my cycle it would just be lower and he'd notice it more. My strings were short and he could still feel them all the time. Again though, only had it a couple months. I know the longer it's in the more the strings will curl up and out of the way.

I liked having an IUD but I won't get it again. I do think I had copper toxicity from it. The change in my overall mood and the way my body felt was just insane (and very noticeable to everyone). I got mine put in at around a year post partum.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#18 of 25 Old 12-10-2009, 01:58 PM

I just had my first period after getting my IUD. It was definitely heavier. I used to have about three and a half days of light bleeding. This one was four days of heavy bleeding with a couple days of spotting on either side.
I do hope my body adjusts, but it's not that big a deal for me. It's a little bit of an annoyance, but when you compare it to the side effects I get from hormonal birth control -- like the total death of my libido -- it isn't so bad. And it's way more effective than condoms, pulling out, diaphragms, or spermicides.
If I was in a great marriage or something I might use some of the methods with a higher failure rate, but I'm a single mom now. I already had one accidental pregnancy and it's very important to me not to have another.
I still think if guys were the ones who took birth control there would be such a perfect method out there.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#19 of 25 Old 12-13-2009, 07:32 PM

Wow, I actually had lighter periods with mine! Sounds like I was the odd case though...

trekkie.gifStudent Mama to:  C reading.gif  (9yrs old), R blahblah.gif (5yrs old), F  hammer.gif (3yrs old) and TTC baby.gif #4 since April 2009

#20 of 25 Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 PM

I got mine in after 7 weeks PP. I was fine with it until I starting having AF again last April. My diva cup would fill up every 1.5 hours for my three heavist days and then my period would last around 9-13 days. Cramping wasn't bad at all but the bleeding was too much for me.

I started feeling dizzy when I had AF and took Floradix to help with the blood loss. One day I forgot to take it and felt dizzy at work. This was unacceptable for me. I drive a bus so its not just my life at stake if I pass out at the wheel.

I got it removed the next week. My only AF since then has been lighter than the Paragard AFs but heavier than usual for me. Hopefully this month's AF will be lighter still.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#21 of 25 Old 12-19-2009, 02:10 AM

I guess everyone's different. Granted I've only had mine about 3 months now. My period is heavier but not significantly so. Before the iud, I had a 7 day period. I still have a 7 day, but the first 3 days are heavy. I won't soak through a pad in an hour, maybe 2 or 3. However, since I use cloth pads, I use the soak water on my ornamental plants outside for a nitrogen boost. I actually get excited to run outside with my soak-water to the sickest of plants and trees in the yard.

My issues was that for the first two months I was getting a period every two weeks. That was annoying. Before the iud, I started getting clitoral yeast infections every cycle. So basically there was about 3 days where I could actually have sex between the end of the period and beginning of infection. Those were some bad two months LOL! But last cycle was normal. Still got the infection, but I'm now trying to fight it with vinegar, a cotton swab, and a high pain threshold.

I also had a bit of a reaction from the copper. I didn't realize I was a high copper person to begin with (explains a LOT), and this added copper left me a bit nauseas, spacey, tired, etc. I started taking zinc and vitamin C religiously and that has evened out. For more info, go here: http://www.healingedge.net/store/page190.html

Hopefully my periods will continue on a monthly basis and I won't develop problems down the road, because right now I really really like it!
#22 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM

So did anyone have a heavy period with the paragard and then have a very light period? Ive had my IUD in for about 18 months and normally (with the IUD) have very heavy, long (7 - 10) day long periods. This last month it was very light but red (not old blood) and only 5 days, the last day and a half it was more spotting. Is this what I get to look forward to now? Or do you sometimes just get fluke periods like this with the paragard? I think I might have had one other period like this about a yr ago but cant remember. Thanks for your info.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#23 of 25 Old 01-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Bump anyone?

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#24 of 25 Old 01-12-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Katie, I started this post, just following up, I had mine in for maybe 2 months at most. I had constant non stop cramping the whole time, and then my normal 2-3 day periods were 6-7 and awful. I was constantly aware of the IUD I always felt it (apparently I found out after I have a retro backwards tilted uterus) and so I had mine taken out. It stinks I was hoping it would of worked out!

#25 of 25 Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 AM

I am very happy with my Paragard so far.  I have had it in for 2 cycles now and while I have had a little spotting, it has not been enough to make me regret the decision to get the Paragard.  My typical cycle is 29 days, with 4 days of AF.  I had the Paragard inserted on the last day of my period, and I had medium to light bleeding for about 3 more days.  Toward the end of that cycle, I had light spotting for 4 or 5 days before my period started, but then the period was the normal 4 days.  I did not spot before my next period, but that period was heavier, and lasted 5 days.  Period 2 was heavier, but nothing unmanageable.  I wear sanitary napkins, and I had to change every 2 hours.  With the amount of bleeding, I felt the need to freshen up every couple hours - with wet wipes, but who doesn't feel the need to freshen up when you wear a pad! Lol.  But, the heavy flow only lasted 2 days, then it was back to the normal flow.  I am now mid-cycle and experienced a day of spotting around my ovulation time (going by my calendar), but again, it was so light I barely noticed.   

So, all in all, I've had a little spotting, I've had longer/heavier periods, but neither have been very severe.  It's been 2+ months and I already see my cycle settling into a predictable routine.  Hopefully things go smoothly moving forward, because I may very well leave this in for the full 10 years.

** as a side note, I did feel some tenderness a few weeks after it was inserted, but it eventually went away.  Now I'm totally unaware of it. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page