Free or cheap Birth Control in Georgia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister has returned to the U.S. after living 15 years in New Zealand.

In New Zealand, she paid about $2 for 6 months of birth control. Here, she's afraid to even ask what it would be, and won't apply for any kind of public assistance because she believes it will harm her DH's immigration case and her two DDs will be without their daddy.

She needs a certain kind of birth control. It's the traditional pill. She's reacted badly to others in the past, and just wants a generic version of "the pill." Is there anyone in Georgia who gives away free or heavily discounted birth control, or does she just need to save up for a doctor and hope to be able to afford her prescriptions?

She is in Columbus, GA, if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 PM

The only place I can think of off the top of my head is Planned Parenthood or the county health office where she lives. I know that the county health office usually charges on a sliding scale and charges according to how much the patient makes! Good luck!

trekkie.gifStudent Mama to:  C reading.gif  (9yrs old), R blahblah.gif (5yrs old), F  hammer.gif (3yrs old) and TTC baby.gif #4 since April 2009

Old 12-13-2009, 11:23 PM

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but has she considered the Natural Family Planning method? Free, but she may want to take a course first just to be sure she is doing it correctly. If it is done correctly it has the same success rates as the pill.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

There is no Planned Parenthood in Columbus. The nearest one is Atlanta, which is 3 hours away and out of reach to her because of her work schedule.

We've both talked about natural family planning but we're both incredibly terrified of it and neither of us has the resources or time to take classes.

Come on, anyone know of any resources in Columbus for mamas who need the pill?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:14 PM

You may want to re-post your question in the "Tribes" area so that you can get better specific information about your area Hope you find something!

trekkie.gifStudent Mama to:  C reading.gif  (9yrs old), R blahblah.gif (5yrs old), F  hammer.gif (3yrs old) and TTC baby.gif #4 since April 2009

Old 12-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky View Post
There is no Planned Parenthood in Columbus. The nearest one is Atlanta, which is 3 hours away and out of reach to her because of her work schedule.

We've both talked about natural family planning but we're both incredibly terrified of it and neither of us has the resources or time to take classes.

Come on, anyone know of any resources in Columbus for mamas who need the pill?
How about a combination of natural family planning AND withdrawl? My dh and I did that back when we were teens and it worked for us We were together for a total of 6 years before we got married and didn't have ds until another year after that when we started trying...and we conceived on the first try so the method worked great for us!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 12-16-2009, 12:37 AM

Well, here's the columbus department of public health: http://columbushealth.com/health_ser...ens_health.cfm
They do birth control and it will likely be cheaper than a doctor's office -- it may be sliding scale. Typically you have to be on public assistance to get free health care through the county, but she should check it out. Also, even if they can't give her free or cheap birth control, they would likely be able to refer her to other resources.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky View Post
In New Zealand, she paid about $2 for 6 months of birth control. Here, she's afraid to even ask what it would be, and won't apply for any kind of public assistance because she believes it will harm her DH's immigration case and her two DDs will be without their daddy.
I don't think this will be an issue. If she is a citizen, married a Kiwi and has children with said Kiwi, no amount of lack of income or public aid will keep her DH from being a citizen. SHE can apply if she is eligible, if anything they will press her to get her DHes docs in order so he can start working in the states and supporting her.

My doc used to give me 'samples' many do for their uninsured patients. She should just talk to her DR about it (she can call as to avoid the $$ for a visit)

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

User Tag List