Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness, JAN 2010 - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eresh- I think it was you that asked, but I know for me, the o pain is a more localized pain. I feel like I could pinpoint it to within an inch (theoretically of course). It's kind of sharp and uncomfortable, and different than 'cramps' for me, which are more of a whole uterus feeling.

Bettina-- temping will help you to get a lot clearer picture of the thing, especially for the second part of your cycle. It's definately worth picking up a thermometer. As for the rest of the charting- I really think you'd find it easier if you used only one chart. I'm not sure I understand the reasons for multiple, but it seems like they're confusing you. Keep just one chart, and essentially if you see Any cervical fluid, especially so new to charting, you really need to be using a backup method. It doesn't matter if it's not EW, or if you haven't felt o pain- any cervical fluid before o really, means that you could potentially be fertile. And seeing as you're too early into charting to know your patterns, then you can only depend on the present. Definately any day that FF shows as green- regardless of if your other charts agree-- you need to be using backup. Hope this helps!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#422 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Hehe. So, what do you all mean by snotty? To me, that describes more color than anything else. Like "normal" EW is mucousy and slippery but mostly clear, sometimes whitish. Snotty would be like EW except yellowish or maybe even greenish. It's all the same, though, if it's slippery and stretchy, EW. The color doesn't really matter.
The snotty I was having trouble with awhile back is a lot like this description. But it is different than my EW, less slippery, more substantial if you know what I mean. When it's wiped onto the toilet paper, it looks exactly like the snot of a bad cold. Really quite disgusting actually.

The boogery stuff other people mentioned, I just call sticky. The above snotty I've been known to call creamy on my chart, personally, but I think it could also be EW. Since "snotty" is not an official FAM distinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
So the next question is do you guys want me to let you know if/when I get knocked up?
Um...YES!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#423 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM

Cramping today...may be ovulation pain or implantation pain. i sincerely hope the first.

had a terrible dream last night about getting pregnant and it was a big to-do. doctors scrambling, angry DP, terrified me. oy, dont want to feel like that anymore.

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

#424 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Bettina: Oh, I hope you feel better about things soon! That does sound like a nastry dream.

re: snotty: "boogery" I also call sticky, because it really truly feels that way between my fingers. The other "snotty" I call creamy if it is less than 1/2 inch and is completely opaque. Had some of that yesterday. If it is streaked with clear, and stretches more than 1/2 inch, I call it EW.

4 DPO! Enjoying this whole DPO because I get it so rarely! lol And Oing on CD 32 is 9 days earlier than last time, and 10 days earlier than the time before that!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#425 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks wwc! Hope your DPO ends with a BFP!!

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

#426 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Wholewheatchick- Yay for dpo!!!

Bettina- I agree, you definitely need a thermometer. That would help soooooooo much. That's like the best and biggest part of charting.

Eresh- Good luck with your not preventing situation. I hope you get a BFP soon, and definitely let us know if you are pregnant!
As for your ovulation question...for me, the cramping is usually over the ovaries. I will get it on one side more than the other, but it does happen on both sides on certain days. It's not in the middle where my uterus is though. I guess the both sides thing could be because the follicles are maturing on both sides and that can cause cramping on both sides as well?? I'm really not sure but I can definitely tell when I'm ovulating for a week because of the wicked ache like and stabby pains on both sides.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#427 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM

CD 1!!!! After a 66 day cycle.

See my first post-IUD cycle while breastfeeding a toddler here.

~Amanda~ crunchy, foodie SAHM to DD 8/14/08
#428 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Emily: Yay for an earlier O! I hope this trend continues.

Bettina: I agree with everyone else, you totally need a thermometer. This month I only had eggwhite CM earlier in the month and my actual O date was several days later.

MamaGwynn: That is one long cyle... I hope this one is shorter for you.

AFM: CD 2, nothing exciting going on here. Feeling somewhat better today, I wish my hubby could understand even for a few minutes how ready I am for baby #2. As it is we are still waiting, trying to pay down debt as quickly as possible so that we can start TTC. I really hate that B. is going to be so much older (most likely somewhere between 5.5 and 6)than whatever future sibling she has, I was really hoping for a smaller age gap.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#429 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Cramping question aside, it looks like I'm going to be leaving you guys. Dh has not asked about where I am in my cycle and wedtd without bc yesterday. So while he's not on board with actively ttc he's ok with letting things happen. So the next question is do you guys want me to let you know if/when I get knocked up?
YES! <-- you can have ALL of mine

MamaGwyn: That's epic

Cass: It IS easier to "start" with less debt -- and just think of your DD being able to fetch and carry while you're nursing. . . s

Bettina: I did the Billings-no-therm thing (ahem, until I got pregnant with DS) -- I felt pretty confident just charting CM, but I think the error-that-was-DS was missing a delayed O (and I'm glad for it, though I was scared at the time)

On the snot -- mine is like BFS's -- almost like EWCF, but thicker and less stretchy -- I only get it in my LP, and makes me worry that it's NOT my LP, if you KWIM. . .

I got a nice normal LP temp today. I'm hoping for 2 more nice mid 97 degree temps
waiting. . .

*BETH* My FF Chart: 28389c
a no-vax, organic, Catholic mother of DD (5) and DS (2)flowersforyou.gif

#430 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Whew, Amanda! Finally!

Emily ~ Yay for cycles getting shorter.

Rara ~ Could be O.

Betinna ~ If you aren't going to temp then you need to follow the CF rules. Like everyone has said, anything other than your BIP should be considered fertile. Once you start getting CF, you have to wait for 4 consecutive days of complete CF dry up before you can consider yourself safe again. However, if you start to get any CF again, you have to go back to considering yourself fertile. Also, I don't think you can use the 1st 5 days rule without confirmation of O with temps since CF and O pain and all those other signs cannot confirm O. Just because they can't confirm O does not mean that you aren't fertile and won't O soon or didn't O if your CF dries up. It's precisely the fact that you cannot know when you will O (even with regular cycles) that you need to pay attention to your signs of impending O.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#431 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 05:20 PM

i charted again today, another watery low closed day...

i dunno whats going on with my cervix but this is a whole week with it.

still just cramping and having a bit of heaviness in my abdomen, no other worriesome symptoms.

gonna be safe wearing protection until AF.

#432 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Banned

Bettina - We used Creighton, which is a CM only model, after my cycles came back when DS was born. I was still BFing him. I had never ever ever had a cycle that wasn't exactly 30 days, and I had never had a double peak cycle before, but BFing for the cycle when DD was conceived caused my CM to look like ovulation when I didn't actually ovulate. I ovulated again almost 10 days later, and now we have DD.

If I had been taking my temp, I would have known that the first peak was not ovulation. Not that I would take it back, but now I know for next time. I think if your cycles aren't exact or if you have anything that could interfere with them (excessive stress or travel, for instance) CM doesn't seem so sure-fire to me anymore.

Good luck to you. This whole thing has been pretty confusing to me.

Okay, back to lurkdom. Still no PP AF.
#433 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaraAvis View Post

On the snot -- mine is like BFS's -- almost like EWCF, but thicker and less stretchy -- I only get it in my LP, and makes me worry that it's NOT my LP, if you KWIM. . .
I usually only get it during my LP, too, and same: sooooo glad for temping and thermal shifts so that I'm not second guessing every single observation of CF during my LP

MamaGwynn: YAY!!!!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#434 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 PM

I forgot, on the "more substantial" CF. I'm not sure I understand that. My EW is my most substantial CF. I get lots of it and it's very easy to observe and feel. The other stuff is very scant and hard to figure out. For example, today I've been having more smooth, I guess, not slippery CF. It's not like the sticky I get at the beginning of my cycle, which is mostly just shiny but nothing I can pick up, but it's definitely not my EW, either. I'm going to call it creamy because it seems more wet than sticky would be. It's white but there really isn't enough there for me to really tell what it is.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#435 of 610 Old 01-19-2010, 10:27 PM

I vaguely recall that I may have had O pain (dull pain on one side) but I didn't really know it was O pain at that time. So happy to be charting and actually know what's going on with my body

What I had yesterday was sharp cramping in my uterus, not on one side.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#436 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 AM

Is it okay for me to post here with a question? I recently read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and I'd like to use the methods outlined in that book to avoid pregnancy.

However--the author states that I need to take my temperature after being asleep for three straight hours. How important is this? Because between my 18 month old (who still nurses frequently) in bed with me, and my loud and ornery cat, my sleeping schedule is extremely erratic. I never know when I will be awoken, and some nights I might not have more than 2 hours of sleep at once. My typical pattern is basically go to bed around midnight, wake up several times with ds to nurse, probably be woken up around 7 am by the cat meowing in my ear, go back to sleep for a bit, wake up for good around 9 am. With this pattern, should I still bother to take my temperature? And if so, when?

I'm going to be charting the other two signs for sure, and I'd like to do temperature too, but if the three hour thing is a fast rule I guess I won't be able to.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#437 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 01:53 AM

I would chart temp (probably around 7am) even though it might not be definate. It's still nice to have a baseline, just make sure you mark which days you did and didn't get sufficient rest. You may find too that your body only takes 2 hours to get back to 'normal', so you won't need the three. I think as long as you're getting into a fairly deep sleep, that's the more important thing. Or you could try temping at your longest stretch- How long does ds go in between nursings? If you nurse at say 3am, and then not again for a few hours, then maybe set an alarm for 6am just to temp, and then go back to sleep afterwards.

At any rate-- You can definately still do the other two signs, and use the temps to try to 'confirm' your findings. My guess is you'd still be able to see a thermal shift, though it may take longer for you to confirm it.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#438 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
I would chart temp (probably around 7am) even though it might not be definate. It's still nice to have a baseline, just make sure you mark which days you did and didn't get sufficient rest. You may find too that your body only takes 2 hours to get back to 'normal', so you won't need the three. I think as long as you're getting into a fairly deep sleep, that's the more important thing. Or you could try temping at your longest stretch- How long does ds go in between nursings? If you nurse at say 3am, and then not again for a few hours, then maybe set an alarm for 6am just to temp, and then go back to sleep afterwards.

At any rate-- You can definately still do the other two signs, and use the temps to try to 'confirm' your findings. My guess is you'd still be able to see a thermal shift, though it may take longer for you to confirm it.
Thank you!

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#439 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 PM

dillpicklechick ~ I charted for a long time while both ds2 and ds3 nursed throughout the night. It worked fine for me. The time that you temp isn't as important as being consistent. I think TCOYF says as long as you temp within the same hour you should be good. I'd pick the time that you usually get the longest stretch of sleep.

#440 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM

dillpicklechip: This question comes up a lot here! Most women seem to do fine with minor disturbances (waking briefly and not leaving the bed). Longer disturbances are more likely to influence temps. I recommend temping at 2 times for one cycle: once after your typical longest stretch, and once at your normal wake time, and see which gives you the clearest temp pattern. I think even if your temps are disturbed by night waking, it's better to have something to look at than no temps at all. It still may be possible to see a temp rise to confirm O.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#441 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM

So i finally am getting EWCM...so i am thankful for that. Means i wont get pregnant this cycle. Last sexual encounter was Sunday, and i will probably O this week, so about 5 days since dtd, no sperm left alive by now...so i assume i am fertile and need to be careful.

#442 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Bettina: Congrats on the EWCM! Hey, I saw your chart on the cervical position thread -- (I am always second guessing my CP, too, so I was glad for your question) You can always post your chart here, too - I think it helps the ladies to get a visual on where you are in your cycle!

AFM: Day 2 of 97.3 whoohoo. Getting close. . .
My Ovulation Chart
Just for fun, do you guys think I really just ed? on FF
FAM says CD13,
Advanced doesn't want to call it until I get another high temp (then CD 18) and
Research says CD 14
I haven't had EWCM since CD 16 (and then it was just one random patch on an otherwise dry day) Frankly, I never got the "feeling" this month -- definitely no gas station ogling at ALL. Maybe just because of the flu. . .

*BETH* My FF Chart: 28389c
a no-vax, organic, Catholic mother of DD (5) and DS (2)flowersforyou.gif

#443 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaraAvis View Post
AFM: Day 2 of 97.3 whoohoo. Getting close. . .
My Ovulation Chart
Just for fun, do you guys think I really just ed? on FF
FAM says CD13,
Advanced doesn't want to call it until I get another high temp (then CD 18) and
Research says CD 14
I haven't had EWCM since CD 16 (and then it was just one random patch on an otherwise dry day) Frankly, I never got the "feeling" this month -- definitely no gas station ogling at ALL. Maybe just because of the flu. . .
Raraavis- I would say you probably 2 dpo, based on temps and CF dry up. However, I'd wait another day or so to be sure.

AFM: Nothing new to report. Just still gearing up for O, but it will be a while. Buuuuuuuuut, I do have some news! I talked to dh last night...and well, check out my siggy! Squee!!!!!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#444 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Bettina: Yay for EWCM!! I know how frustrating it is to have so much seemingly "fertile" mucus when it leads to nothing!

Kimmiepie: yay! How much fun to have that many babies!

Rara: hm...I don't know! I''m tempted to say CD 18 but that doesn't line up with your CF, but then you have EWCF on that slightly higher temp day...

AFM: 5 DPO, feeling kind of crampy, nipples still hurt a lot. And wow, is my sex drive like nill! I guess because I have fertile CF for so long that I kind of get used to that "interest level" or something, but not there last night. Poor DH!

#445 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Okay, I have to ask you ladies to take a look and tell me what you think of my chart. I'm on CD17 and I kind of thought I O'd on CD15 but when I temped this morning I got 97.99 when usually it would be higher based on my cycle history if I'd actually O'd. In fact I was so surprised I temped twice (this being with vaginal temping). The second temp was 98.06. So if I put in 98.1 in FF, no xhairs, as expected. If I put in my first temp, 98.0, it gives me weird weird xhairs. (I think FF is smoking crack again). Then, to complicate matters further, I swear I have a little bit of EWCF today. (TMI: After a BM, I felt a little bit wet and checked again with a kleenex, and swear there was a little bit of EW but at least definitely wet CF). Well, I guess my temp tomorrow will tell.

Okay ... I changed it to FAM from Advanced setting and it took the weird xhairs away.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#446 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Eresh: No way would I put O on CD 14. CD 15 is possible, but you'll have to wait for tomorrow's temp. FF is nuts.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#447 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 PM

Bettina ~ I hope this is it for you soon. FWIW, I've read sperm can live up to 6 days so you're not necessarily out of the woods if you O by Friday.

Rara ~ I'd say possibly cd18 but, like Kim said, you need to wait for one more high temp (as you know).

Eresh ~ I'm with Shannon. I say O possibly on cd15 but you don't have a complete thermal shift yet. Same advice as to Rara. One more higher temp tomorrow might be it, except for the open circle for today. That makes things less definite.

FF has been acting wacky, lately. When I first had it set to FAM it was trying to say my O day was cd11 or 12 even though I had days of ewcf after that and my temps didn't really go up. When I switched it to Advanced it set my O day to cd15, which makes sense to me, until I put in my temp for today. Then it changed O to cd16. I switched it back to FAM and it put O day back on cd15. I have no idea what it's doing but I think cd15 was it.

#448 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinaAuSucre View Post
So i finally am getting EWCM...so i am thankful for that. Means i wont get pregnant this cycle. Last sexual encounter was Sunday, and i will probably O this week, so about 5 days since dtd, no sperm left alive by now...so i assume i am fertile and need to be careful.
Hey Bettina, I checked out your chart in the other thread, and I hope for your sake that o holds off a few more days, but technically, not your sunday dtd was not safe. If you're having fertile fluid like that, and any EW, as you did, then it's not safe. Afterwards once you get o, you can look back and see if it was far enough away, but as the days are happening you have to basically assume that you could be o'ing on each one of them. For instance, if you o'ed today, then that dtd sunday definately has the chance to get you pregnant. Technically, as per your chart, you should be considering yourself fertile right from the 15th onwards. Like I said, hopefully you're not, but at least this way you know for next time!

Rara- I think it's possible you did, but I wouldn't know which day to call it.

Congrats Kimmie!!! How exciting!

Eresh- you have sleep deprived marked for today, could that be the odd temp? I thikn you're stuck seeing what tomorrow says though.

AFM: I spent the day pouting on the couch alternating between pain and sadness. CD1 here. It's amazing when you 'succeed' at something (preventing pregnancy) how much it can hurt. I'm still hoping DH changes his mind before February, but he just got his clinical schedule and I'm feeling a little doomed.

#449 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
AFM: I spent the day pouting on the couch alternating between pain and sadness. CD1 here. It's amazing when you 'succeed' at something (preventing pregnancy) how much it can hurt. I'm still hoping DH changes his mind before February, but he just got his clinical schedule and I'm feeling a little doomed.
That's hard. I go through something similar every cycle that dh was either able to w/d or he's gone and I know there's no chance of a pg.

#450 of 610 Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 PM

I'm a control freak and not very good at delayed gratification. Does that come through at all?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page