Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness, JAN 2010 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 610 Old 01-07-2010, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
So before the 18th I need to finish this bottle and a dessert wine a friend gave me for Christmas. Of course if we're not successful this month I can have another bottle or two before next O.
It's good to have goals! I like the way you think!

MW I don't know anything helpful, but I bet there are other places here you could post where people would know. Or you could google the individual herbs.

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

#122 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 01:00 AM

haha That was my New Years goal- I had a bottle of the 'premix' martini, and I was aiming to down the whole thing in one night as a 'last drink' before possibly getting pregnant. But alas I failed... and now I have half a bottle left in the fridge still...

I admit to you ladies and you alone, but my new goal is to get pregnant before having to buy more pads and tampons. Is that ever sad or what? *hides blush* But I told DH I was having ovulation pains today, and he's still hinting for DTD, so I figure I have half a shot.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#123 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 AM

I had another high temp this morning and ovusoft refused to give me crosshairs. Instead it raised my coverline. GRRRR. So I removed the irritating rule of thumb (it only gave me that because I missed a temp that one day) and it put my ovulation at sunday. I've had consistent dry up inline with ovulation (and subsequent 5lbs weight loss and irritability the day after). What do you think?

My chart.

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
#124 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 AM

I have a question that maybe you ladies can help me with. I almost always get AF in the morning but last night it came around 8:30 p.m. I counted the 7th as cd1 is this correct even though it was so late? TIA!
#125 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Griffskat: personally, I think that looks pretty good, as long as you're willing to accept it as not 100% accurate, due to the temp times, etc.

MW: I am going to check that website out! But no: you should not do a cleanse while BF, nor while TTC, either, since it puts all that 'gunk' into your bloodstream, lymph system, urine, etc. to get rid of it.

jeninejessica: I bought the DIVA cup like 5 months ago, but due to my whacky cycles, I"ve only gotten to use it twice! But it is my aspiration for the New Year to get pregnant so I'd be ok with only using it once (have to get a new size once you've had a baby).

springmama: yep, you've got it!

I have a question about Watery CF...because I can't decide if I had Watery or sticky yesterday. It was mostly sticky when I wiped, but then randomly throughout the day I could feel it coming out, kind of the way you can sometimes feel AF. But it was cold and and felt like water. When I did the Creighton method a few years ago, they said to never go by what is on your underwear or what you "feel" but I am thinking that might have been Watery????

I do not know what is going on with my chart. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/277407 My CF is sooooo different from normal. Ha. Well, normal for me. I know the pattern still looks relatively the same, but the quality and consistency and amount of CF is very different. I've had to rely more on sensation, like I said. And there is not as much EW as normal, and when it is not crystal clear (which it is most of the time: different) it is cloudy white, not cloudy yellow, which is a major improvement!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#126 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Haha, jj. I just poured out half a bottle of champagne and half a bottle of wine that had gone bad. Well, the wine was bad to begin with so not much of a loss.

Griffs ~ That is strange that Ovusoft wouldn't give you CH with that one temp ROTed. I think that would make O more obvious. That ROT thing on Ovusoft used to annoy me, too, so I think I turned it off. I lose a couple of pounds after O, too. I thought that was strange because most women say they are bloated and heavier during their lp. Aren't those symptoms of PMS?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#127 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Yes, I believe so. Usually what happens for me is during my fertile time I gain 5lbs. Then right after o I loose 5lbs. Then I'm good for a few days. Then about 4 days leading up to my period I gain those 5lbs back. Then I loose them again when my period is completely done. It's crazy. I used to freak out and think that I was getting fat, then after a few months of charting and watching these things I figured it out.

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
#128 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM

springmama ~ Yes, the 7th would be CD1.

Emily ~ TCOYF says cold sensation usually goes along with creamy CF. It also says you can tell a bit from looking at your underwear. A streaked sort of rectangle shape on your underwear means sticky or less fertile and a wet, rounder shape means watery or ew and more fertile. I've begun to notice early in my cycle when I can't possibly have anything other than sticky it feels sometimes like it's flowing out of me. I feel kind of wet down there but when I check there's really not much of anything. I always count that as sticky.

As to the cleanse, I know you are supposed to do anything like that while pg or bfing. I've wanted to do one for years but haven't been able to because I've been pg or nursing for the last 6+ years (not to mention hoping to get pg). I have some Yogi Detox tea in my cupboard that I want to use so badly. I made myself a cup last night while looking up the herbs in my Nursing Mother's Herbal. All were actually good for nursing (galactogogues) except Indian sarsparillo. That was actually given an E rating, extremely toxic with no medicinal value at all. If that's the case, why is it in that tea at all? The tea box says it adds a spicy flavor.

I'm wondering, though, if doing a cleanse is really all that dangerous with an older nursing child. A lot of those warnings don't seem to make a distinction between nursing a newborn every 2 hours minimum vs. nursing a solids eating toddler 3-4 times a day. I may just wean ds, anyway. I find myself putting off nursing a lot lately and I can't help but wonder how the breastfeeding might be contributing to the miscarriages. I know breastfeeding doesn't necessarily cause problems for a pg but, as we've seen with shortened LPs and such, I think it can.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#129 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 01:41 PM

Good morning everyone!
We had a power outage for hours today and I am glad to have it back on now!! This is the longest cycle I've had yet since getting PPAF http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2be681 Of course it's only by one day and I *could* still start today. It's hope for my LP getting longer though.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#130 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Uh...so I'm spotting at CD 17 and in over 5 years of charting, have never had a cycle less than 32 days. What is going on here?? This is only my 3rd cycle since DS was born (1st cycle was 39, second was 42...both normal for me), and I still am BFing 1x/day...maybe that's it? I guess it could be implantation spotting (I didnt have when pg with DS) if some swimmers got out of their raincoat . Thoughts???

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/MyFFChart

MarineWife - I realize Im late on this, but I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage.

Eresh - Totally agree on the LMP counting...it makes zero sense to me, I guess because I definitely don't have 28 day cycles. And I feel you on the wine....the day I found out I was pg with DS, we got a shipment of new wine in from our wine club. Hubby managed to drink it all over the nine months

Wife to a wonderful man since June '04, mommy to a beautiful 3 year old son and 1 year old daughter.

#131 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motray36 View Post
Uh...so I'm spotting at CD 17 and in over 5 years of charting, have never had a cycle less than 32 days. What is going on here?? This is only my 3rd cycle since DS was born (1st cycle was 39, second was 42...both normal for me), and I still am BFing 1x/day...maybe that's it? I guess it could be implantation spotting (I didnt have when pg with DS) if some swimmers got out of their raincoat . Thoughts???

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/MyFFChart
I don't think you have Oed yet so I'd say possible O spotting. Very fertile! Proceed with caution!

#132 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 03:22 PM

my AF stopped today, with some spotting. Now i am just waiting until can check CM without getting any brown spotting.

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

#133 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I'm wondering, though, if doing a cleanse is really all that dangerous with an older nursing child. A lot of those warnings don't seem to make a distinction between nursing a newborn every 2 hours minimum vs. nursing a solids eating toddler 3-4 times a day. I may just wean ds, anyway. I find myself putting off nursing a lot lately and I can't help but wonder how the breastfeeding might be contributing to the miscarriages. I know breastfeeding doesn't necessarily cause problems for a pg but, as we've seen with shortened LPs and such, I think it can.
I agree with you about warnings applying much more to exclusively nursed newborns. It's WAY different with a 25 lb toddler. If I were in your place, I would honestly think about weaning too, it's so hard to know how it's affecting your body. It's not an easy choice but to me it makes sense.

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

#134 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 PM

Ok guys, even though we used the w/d method as we have done for 5 years with no problem at all...I'm getting concerned. We did NOT have intercourse more than one time in a day (nor did he "take care of himself") so there shouldn't have been any semen in the pre-cum correct? At least that's what I've read.

Well I've had TWO pregnancy dreams this week. I've been really tired the past few days which didn't mean much to me until today when I was getting popcorn for my ds2...I couldn't stand the smell. Immediate nausea! Then tonight I made this great dinner and I sat down to eat it and I could only eat a few bites because the smell/taste made me feel sick. I have tummy ache or anything like I am getting sick. In fact, I mentioned it to dh and he knows that the only time I get food aversions is while pregnant so he was concerned.

I DO feel crampy with a backache like AF could come any minute. So I really hope it is nothing. I just know that with my babies my symptoms start really early on (for example, charting with ds2 I had cramps at 5dpo and then a triphasic pattern with nausea beginning on 7dpo and tested positive 9dpo).

Here is my chart again. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2be681 Since PPAF came back I have had 29 day cycles. Today is day 30. So technically I am "late" for my weird new cycles, but I used to have 12-13 day LP's so it could be lengthening out!!

I need some not pregnant vibes if you got 'em.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#135 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 PM

MW: I think it does make sense that you could do a cleanse while nursing a toddler, though I would go on the side of a more gentle cleanse. Also about the Indian sarsparillo, some herbs are fine in the amounts generally used in cooking but toxic in larger amounts. For example I think oregano is listed as a no-no herb during pregnancy but amounts used in cooking are fine. I'm just speculating here. I know nothing specific about Indian sarsparillo.

I was just debating the other day about getting some super pads or maybe making cloth pads then decided not to since we're TTC. Of course maybe I should go ahead and make a whole bunch of cloth pads so I get pregnant on the first try

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#136 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 PM

I asked the herbalists on that website and was told they recommend to not do any cleanse while breastfeeding. They didn't mention anything about the nursing child's age. I don't know.

Kimmie ~ Obviously, it's way too early for any of else to be able to tell anything from your chart. I get pg symptoms and signs very early, too. I usually get BFPs at 7-8dpo if I test that early. All forms of bc except abstinence have a failure rate. I think it's around 18-20% for withdrawal so it's definitely possible that you are pg.

#137 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
I need some not pregnant vibes if you got 'em.
for not pregnant!
Good luck, Kimmiepie

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#138 of 610 Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I asked the herbalists on that website and was told they recommend to not do any cleanse while breastfeeding. They didn't mention anything about the nursing child's age. I don't know.

Kimmie ~ Obviously, it's way too early for any of else to be able to tell anything from your chart. I get pg symptoms and signs very early, too. I usually get BFPs at 7-8dpo if I test that early. All forms of bc except abstinence have a failure rate. I think it's around 18-20% for withdrawal so it's definitely possible that you are pg.
Is that failure rate including failure to pull out early enough (because he definitely does!) or is it using it perfectly? I did not realize the failure rate was that high! I can understand if he doesn't w/d in time but if he does I wouldn't think it'd be that high.

We watched "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs" tonight and all of that food made me feel sick.

I will definitely keep y'all updated and if AF doesn't show up by monday I'll probably take a test.

#139 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 12:08 AM

Sorry I haven't been replying much lately - been dealing with sickness around here. My DD1 had/has croup and I never had a child with it before so I took her to the ER a few nights ago when I heard her not being able to breathe! Now I know what it is/what to do, but sheesh!
So yeah, not alot of sleep around here lately! Not much going on in my chart either........it DOES seem like my CM has changed some since getting my cycles back - but I'm guessing that is normal. My "sticky" is more "sticky" I guess - not as stretchy/snotty............sorry if TMI!!

I want to get a diva cup, but I won't because I know as soon as I do I will get knocked up!! I figure when I get a few cycles under my belt and feel more confident I might get one.

MW - I think you might want to consider weaning as well............some women have a much harder time getting pregnant while weaning - have you ever gotten pregnant before while nursing?

Kimmie - I will be sending you lots and LOTS of not pregnant vibes!!! good luck........

I also was wondering about the failure rates of the differnt birth control. Like withdrawal/condoms. If your partner either pulls out in time and/or the condom never broke and was always........put on! wouldn't that put you in the 2% or whatever?

For example, the pill has a 99.9 percent effective rate...............IF you take it on time and always take it.......

Just wondering how that works. I can understand that sometimes the condom breaks or slips and/or sometimes the guy just doesn't get out in time - but I thought that would put you in the "typical use" which "really means" messed up!

Hope that makes sense!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#140 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 12:20 AM

I just wanted to post and say im back this month, right now im on CD 5. Now i just need to find my thermometer so that I can start temping again on Sunday. I had some family come over to help me clean my house over new years and now I cant find ANYTHING. I have not had time to read the first part of the thread, but I will be back to catch up if I have time tomorrow.

Oh FF said I have a 9 day luteal phase, is that normal? I thought they were 12-15 days but I might be crazy. And this was my first cycle that I have charted so it might be off a little.
#141 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post
Kimmie - I will be sending you lots and LOTS of not pregnant vibes!!! good luck........

I also was wondering about the failure rates of the differnt birth control. Like withdrawal/condoms. If your partner either pulls out in time and/or the condom never broke and was always........put on! wouldn't that put you in the 2% or whatever?

For example, the pill has a 99.9 percent effective rate...............IF you take it on time and always take it.......

Just wondering how that works. I can understand that sometimes the condom breaks or slips and/or sometimes the guy just doesn't get out in time - but I thought that would put you in the "typical use" which "really means" messed up!

Hope that makes sense!
Thank you! Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to ask.

I'm sorry your dd has croup!! My dd had that at about 9 months old and it was awful. None of the others have had it. I hope she heals quickly!! Poor thing.

#142 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the answer about AF. I have another question. This is my first cycle charting and I am concerned about confusing semen and CM. Any tips on this?
#143 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 12:31 AM

Annie, I totally agree with you about birth control failure rates... I think each time you use a condom it has its own failure rate, you know? Sometimes you do it more properly... or it's the wrong time in your cycle anyway. It's more complicated than just a number I think.

I believe a study came out about withdrawl recently and it had an amazingly high rate of effectiveness. I was shocked. Ok, I found it, if you google withdrawl method it will come up. Withdrawl had a 4% failure rate with perfect use, condoms 2%. Typical use was 18 and 17%. I think "precum" actually has no sperm in it under most conditions. Also totally the opposite of what we were taught in sex ed.

Afm, I think I'm going to test tomorrow am... it's very early but there is a dollar tree a mile from my house so I feel like I might as well get started. The suspense is killing us. I'm imagining symptoms of course, I am dead tired, crying over everything, and my bbs are a full cup size bigger than normal. Df is already worrying about money.

Tina

#144 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 AM

Pogo, that is a little shorter than average.

Springmama, I think when I read TCOYF it said that you can do kegels to get the semen to come out right away and not interfere. I confused them (even after reading this) until we started using condoms and I realized what was going on.

Tina

#145 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 12:49 AM

I think that I am more nervous than I need to be about NFP. We have been using FAM with condoms and w/d for over a year but now that I am getting "technical" with temping and charting etc. I feel a bit overwhelmed with temping, and cm and cervical position and such!

On the other hand I am excited to be paying closer attention to my fertility and I'm hooked on Fertility Friend. Gotta love the free VIP trial!
#146 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 AM

Springmama - how I deal with semen is this;

before you ovulate you never DTD two days in a row. The day after DTD you wait for the semen to clear up. The NEXT day you see if you are dry or back to your typical BIP (basic infertile pattern, aka, dry for you).

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks Kimmie - DD1 is on the mend but now DD2 sounds like she is catching it it seems like it won't be as bad though...........hopefully!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#147 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Kimmie ~ I don't have any more specific info than the comparison between the typical user failure rate and method failure rate. Method failure is when the method fails with perfect use. I assume that typical user failure is when people do not follow all the rules perfectly. According to TCOYF (copyright 2002) method failure for w/d is 4% and user failure is 19%. I always assume user failure when someone gets pg on here because we all know what we're doing. I would be surprised with a method failure but it can happen.

My dh and I use w/d, but (in case you haven't figured it out) I am very open to getting pg so I like the higher failure rate. I got pg once using w/d but that was obvious user failure. My dh didn't even attempt to w/d. The 2nd time I got pg I'm not sure if he was thinking of pulling-out or not. We hadn't discussed it since my previous pg and m/c but I think he had decided he wasn't that concerned with preventing anymore. I don't know that I would feel comfortable using it if I absolutely did not want to be pg. I'd probably go with abstinence in that case.

Comparison of semen and EWCF according to TCOYF:

"Semen sometimes appears as a rubbery whitish strand or slippery foam. It tends to be thinner, breaks easily, and dries on your fingers quicker. By contrast, eggwhite quality cervical fluid tends to be clear, shimmering, and stretchy."

AFM, weren't some of you commenting on having unusually low temps for no particular reason? I only have 2 temps but they are both low for me. The first one taken at my usual temp time was 96.9. I can't recall ever having a temp in the 96 range before. This morning my temp was 97.3, which is ok for pre-O except that it was taken an hour later than usual. Adjusted, it would be 97.1, which is also low for me. It's warm enough in my house and I've been sleeping with long pjs and two blankets, not to mention the two little bodies next to me keeping me very warm.

#148 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info! It seems like the chances are very slim. *whew* No AF yet, but I can feel her coming. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2be681

MarineWife- Yes my temps have been rather low lately, as well as a few others here. I'm nursing though so I don't know if that has anything to do with it!

#149 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

My temps the past two days have been 96.8. Seems like a lot of us are having somewhat odd cycles and temps lately. I wonder if the stress of Christmas is still affecting our bodies?

AFM: CD 26, I have now had a week straight of W or EW, and I'm getting quite tired of waiting for O!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#150 of 610 Old 01-09-2010, 02:19 PM

annie ~ I got pg with ds3 while nursing ds2. It might be the timing. I had my 1st known m/c when ds2 was almost 2, still nursing. I got pg again when he was about 2 1/2 and m/ced again. DS2 was almost 3 and still nursing when I got pg with ds2 but I had to wean ds2 before 12w because it hurt so much. DS3 was almost 2 when I got pg back in May and m/ced in July. With this most recent m/c, ds3 is 2 1/2 and still nursing. I've got 6 months to either wean ds3 or, hopefully, he'll be at the age, 3, where the nursing won't affect a pg (if that's what it is). Maybe my body is just really good at following the evolutionary path of reproduction where the female body is built to have children only every 4 years. I'm bummed that I still can't do the detox. I think that would help me on so many levels, not just with my cycles. That gives me a bit more motivation to wean ds3 before June.

Kimmie ~ I'm nursing, too, although my ds does not nurse throughout the night. He does usually nurse once in the early am between 4 and 6.

I just looked back at previous charts and I guess the 97.1 temp isn't that low for me. I think the thing that threw me is that I usually have higher temps at the beginning of my cycle that drop to the low 97s about a week before O. I'm only on cd9 and my average O is around cd23 so it's early for my temps to drop for O. I have no CF whatsoever yet, too, dry, dry, dry. Although, I did have the streaked, rectangular shaped spot of dry CF on my underwear yesterday, felt kind of gooey cold and I saw drops of white stuff go into the toilet when I went (serious TMI ). Should I mark that as sticky even though I felt nothing and saw nothing on the tissue when I wiped?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page