Vasectomy reversal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are tossing it around for a possibility...if anyone has BTDT stories...Would it if you share
#2 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 11:58 AM

We have gotten as far as the initial consultation. We have yours/mine/ours and I was last pregnant 6 years ago (He got the vasectomy 5 years ago). We will likely do a reversal in 10-12 months, and the Dr. told us that we have a high chance of pregnancy because we have already demonstrated that we are fertile together.

The procedure these days is very good, but there are a lot of variables to consider. Emotionally, I feel like I change my mind every 30 minutes about having another one for various reasons. I'm pretty nervous that it won't work. I have always gotten pregnant pretty easily, and I wonder if my age will have an effect this time, or will the reversal fail? Tough stuff...

I'd also love to hear what others have to say.

Me 37 hang.gif, DH - 43 computergeek2.gif, DSS-18 caffix.gif, DS - 17 wild.gif, DD - 11 joy.gif, and DS - due 6/14 belly.gif. Having another homebirth.jpg and nocirc.gif .
#3 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 04:39 PM

I have some experience but I am not sure if my story directly relates to your situation? (Background info: My DH was married and had a child then had a vas as a very young (pre 30) age due to his X's insistence. They got a divorce, we got married and very much wanted children).

Dh's reversal was 10 years out from the vas which makes it more challenging but it was successful EXCEPT.....at some point DH developed anti-sperm antibodies so we were unable to get pregnant naturally. We needed IVF but were successful both times. We "could" get pregnant naturally but the chances are slim.

Best of luck to you.
#4 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 05:35 PM

My DH had a vas two years ago, when I was 7 months pregnant with DS #4 (his second child with me). At the time, we were being pressured by family and others to stop having kids because "four is already more than you should have - carbon footprint and all" . After DS was born, we had a change of heart and felt that we were being called by God to have more children. As well, DH found that his recovery and the after effects of the surgery were highly unpleasant (i.e. lingering testicular pain that continued after the vas). DH is in the Army, and thus would be eligible to have the surgery free of charge if there was a urological surgeon and a surgery spot available to him at the right time. DH had a successful reversal surgery in June of 2009, and we conceived naturally the next cycle. The recovery from the surgery was quite similar to that of the original vas, with the main difference being that a reversal is done under general anesthesia and thus requires recovery from the anesthesia as well as the procedure itself. Unfortunately, I had three back-to-back miscarriages, and DH is currently deployed, so we haven't been able to add to our family yet. However, given DH's excellent post surgery sperm count and my fertility, we believe that we will be able to have the large family we always wanted.

HTH, and good luck with your decision!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#5 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Quick version. Had twins first. ACK! Had vasectomy. Four years later regrets. Went to Dr. Wosnitzer in New Jersey who pioneered the microsurgical highly successful techniques being used today. He does it outpatient in office, way cheaper! Did surgery. Had four more kids including another set of twins over the next six years. Revasectomy. Done! He is worth the plane ride if you aren't near. Folks come from all over the world to him.
#6 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Moved to Family Planning
#7 of 10 Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. This is exactly the experience I was looking for. My BF has had v for over 9 years so that is good that it still can be reversed. I just wanted some true life stories---maybe reassurance that I'm not totally silly for dreaming about this!

HWTM, what is cheaper? Can you give me an idea of range of $$
#8 of 10 Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 AM

We live in the Seattle area, and went to a well known hospital center, with a doctor who is one of the "go to" guys in the NW.

Our rate was quoted at $6000, for spinal anesthetic surgery that would take about an hour-two hours depending on the challenges that might present. I understand that amount is about average.

Good luck!

Me 37 hang.gif, DH - 43 computergeek2.gif, DSS-18 caffix.gif, DS - 17 wild.gif, DD - 11 joy.gif, and DS - due 6/14 belly.gif. Having another homebirth.jpg and nocirc.gif .
#9 of 10 Old 01-10-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain View Post
Thanks mamas. This is exactly the experience I was looking for. My BF has had v for over 9 years so that is good that it still can be reversed. I just wanted some true life stories---maybe reassurance that I'm not totally silly for dreaming about this!

HWTM, what is cheaper? Can you give me an idea of range of $$
There is an MD in New Braunfels, TX, who will do them for around $3,000. He keeps the cost down because he is a pro-life Catholic who considers the V-reversal a ministry. His name is Dr. Roeder. We were planning to go with him initially because the Army told us our wait would be 18 months otherwise. We then ended up with the surgery 6 weeks after my DH was placed on the waiting list - talk about good luck!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#10 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM

where can i find info on really good, reliable, competent doctors in my area? i live in VT but can travel to MA and NY. We are so nervous it wont work...and we are almost ready to schedule a consultation

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page