How many types of birth control have you tried in your life? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How many birth control methods have you tried?
None 3 1.20%
Only natural methods like NFP or charting 7 2.80%
1 14 5.60%
2-3 102 40.80%
4-5 91 36.40%
6 or more 33 13.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking the other day, I've tried damn near every kind of non-permanent birth control out there. I think a lot of women go through a similar journey searching for "the one". And of course, "the one" might be different in various stages of your life.
Here's what I've done:
--Condoms. I've never really liked how they feel, but often necessary.
--Various brands of the birth control pill. Took me a long time to realize that it killed my libido.
--Depo Provera shot (AKA The Devil). Total libido death, also made me gain weight and made my emotions go haywire.
--Cervical cap (Lea's Shield). Never really liked this one. It was really honkin' big and me and my partner could both feel it. Plus I wasn't crazy about its effectiveness rates.
--Withdrawal. Worked great for a long time, until one night we hit the bourbon and DTD a few times in a row -- had a beautiful homebirth nine months later.
--Spermicidal film plus withdrawal -- worked pretty good, actually not a bad method.
--Charting. Never done full-blown NFP, but I've done basic charting combined with other methods.
--Paraguard copper IUD. This is what I'm on now. Some side effects, and it cost an arm and a leg, but overall it's my favorite method.

I've never used a diaphragm (that's probably what I would have gotten if the IUD didn't work out), certain kinds of hormone delivery like the patch or ring, or any permanent methods like tubal ligation.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 AM

condoms, several types of BCP, and a diaphragm.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 AM

-- "The Patch"
-- Nuva Ring
-- Two forms of the "pill"
-- FAM
-- condoms (including the female condom)
-- diaphragm

We've given up on hormonal birth control because it turns me into an unpleasant person and we're currently utilizing FAM again.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 01-11-2010, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Condoms, several types of BCPs, Depo Provera (big mistake!), copper IUD, patch, spermicidal film, cream & suppositories, NFP.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 AM

I voted 2-3 but forgot about condoms (what are those? ). That was yeaaaaars ago. Other than that: The Pill, a Mirena IUD, and NFP.

NFP is what we have used for about 5 years now.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 AM

when I was 15-20 -the pill-off of it 9 months and pregnant with #1
then NFP of a sort (I hurt for 5 days when trying to ovulate ) plus withdrawal for the next 18 years (had 2 more children and then a big surprise with pregnancy #4)
now we use the good condoms -shshssh

Formally known as jazmommie
Momma to 4 Indigo kids ,22,19,11 and 3
Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 AM

The pill, nfp, condoms, abstinence, withdrawl, spermicidal film, and now have Mirena. I've never had a BC failure. The pill made me gain weight and killed libido, nfp was okay but hard to keep up with when my cycle went all wacko, condoms feel weird, abstinence is no fun , withdrawl made me nervous, spermicidal film. . .uh. . .tasted bad, and Mirena would be awesome if not for the acne and the 9 day period I'm on right now.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:52 AM

Condoms
The pill
The ring
NFP
Withdrawl

All the hormonal stuff made me insane, we don't like condoms, and got pregnant charting (our mistake, but in a time that really should have been safe).

Blah. I would have gotten an IUD for the next year or so, but I have heard so many horror stories.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
abstinence is no fun
Oh, yeah, forgot about that one. I've never done it deliberately. I also tried the female condom a couple of times. I think we were doing something wrong, 'cause it, uh, got reaaaally lost. Both times. Not fun.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 AM

condoms, abstinence & withdrawal. we have three oops babies

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 AM

Condoms
Condoms + Foam or Film
Female Condoms - everyone should have this type of hilarity in life
Oral Contraceptive Pill - regular orthotricyclen and the skip your period type
Depo Provera, no libido is a great BC!
Copper IUD - lots of cramping and bleeding, but kept it 2+ years

I think my favorite type is the pill. I feel great on it, good moods, clear skin, no issues at all.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 01-11-2010, 06:26 AM

I've used:

-BCP (3 different brands), but I always forgot to take pills.
-the patch, stopped using when I decided I wasn't comfortable using hormonal BC
-the sponge (Protectaid brand), expensive and didn't like the failure rates
-withdrawl, worked fine, but made me too nervous
-condoms, still use

I have no desire to try anything else as we really like condoms for BC. Sometimes I feel like I must be the only married woman using condoms (ok, a bit of an exageration), but they're cheap, make for tidy sex, and haven't failed so far
Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I voted 2-3. Condoms, I've tried two different pills. I did Ortho-Novum for a year and Micronor for a year. Currently we use abstinence. If we happen to quit using that, I guess we'll use condoms, or just have the non-procreative style.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:41 AM

i voted 4-5 .. the pill, condoms, diaphragm, NFP, withdrawl.. and i'm currently pregnant with a withdrawl baby..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Old 01-14-2010, 07:05 PM

Let's see, the pill, condoms, w/drawal, the sponge (really bad idea), NFP and vasectomy. Oh, I voted 4-5, should have said 6.

signature currently in transition
Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 AM

Condoms: Good for casual sex and a occationally when I am fed up with diaphragm, but I am not big fan. They smell and kill lubrication.
The Pill: Killed libido, messes with my hormones. Used them for around 8 years, but wont ever go back there.
Withdrawal: Well that worked for - some 4 months and I was knocked up. And we didn't have any accidents mind you.. it just didn't work.
Diaphragm: Inconvenient in some ways, but better than condoms. I have used it with FAM - and then only used the spermicide around ovulation. If I had a partner who was in on it I would probably prefer to only use it when fertile and go FAM the rest of the time, but my most recent BF (unfortunately not together anymore) was terrified of having more babies, so to reassure him I used the diapragm all the time, then only spermicide around ovulation. Spermicide sucks, but I still prefer this method over others I have tried.

I will not be doing hormonal again I think and am not keen on the sideeffects I hear are common with IUDs

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

Old 01-15-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seie View Post
Diaphragm: Inconvenient in some ways, but better than condoms. I have used it with FAM - and then only used the spermicide around ovulation. If I had a partner who was in on it I would probably prefer to only use it when fertile and go FAM the rest of the time, but my most recent BF (unfortunately not together anymore) was terrified of having more babies, so to reassure him I used the diapragm all the time, then only spermicide around ovulation. Spermicide sucks, but I still prefer this method over others I have tried.
I was nervous about getting my non-hormonal IUD, but I wound up liking it pretty well. If that hadn't worked out for me, I think this is the method I would have used -- diaphragm + FAM + spermicide during fertile period (and maybe some pulling out during fertile periods as well).

Old 01-15-2010, 03:28 PM
2xy

I voted 4-5.

-The pill in a few different forms
-Copper IUD, which was a disaster
-Condoms here and there
-The sponge, also disastrous (allergic to spermicides, found out the hard way)
-Tubal ligation
Old 01-16-2010, 07:50 PM

abstinence - during certain times in life
the pill - ten years straight pretty much, never again
condoms - do not like
withdraw - extra protection during certain times, overly cautious
NFP - so happy I found this, it is the only one I feel comfortable with, will not be going for all the artificial hormones ever again in my body

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Old 01-17-2010, 05:03 AM

The pill - four different versions (Valette of Jenapharm, Belara of Grunenthal, Yaz, Allesse) with little success (well it prevented pregnancy, but made me feel like a robot).
Then we used condoms, now we use FAM with abstinence/withdrawel/condoms, depending on the day.
Not a single method got me pregnant by accident
Old 01-17-2010, 05:11 AM

4-5

Depo shot for 5 years (before my dd)
Diaphragm for 3 months (while going off thyroid meds for scan before dd)
Condoms for 3 months (along with the diaphragm)
Depo shot again for 2.5 years (after dd)
Dh got a vasectomy when ds was 3 months old

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 01-17-2010, 05:16 AM

I voted 6 or more.

The pill in various forms for more years than I can remember
Condoms
Contraceptive sponge
Spermicidal foam
A very lax version of NFP when I wasn't too concerned about pg
Withdrawal

Funny, abstinence would never have occurred to me.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 01-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Banned

Two - condoms and birth control pills. I switched to the mini pill after DS was born, but haven't bothered since DD was born. I take so many prescription medications that I hate adding yet another one.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:13 AM

Oh crap, I voted 2-3 but I guess I forgot a few.

-condoms (For a short time when my SO and I first met.)
-depo provera (For maybe 6-9 months from 18-19yo.)
-withdrawal (On and off through the years, once we weren't too worried about getting preggo.)
-the patch/ortho evra (For a few cycles after DS was born.)
-encare (For a short time when we wanted to make sure we didn't get preggo.)
-NFP (On and off for the past few years.)
-the pill (For a few cycles in '08 because I was practically bleeding to death.)

We've been using withdrawal for the last few years now (not counting the few cycles I was on BCPs). We were TTC when I got pregnant with DS, so nothing has failed so far. I'd take an oops though, I wouldn't mind.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:26 AM

Condoms and the BCP. Both of which were unnecessary since DH and I have male and female factor infertility. We don't use any sort of birth control now and probably won't ever again.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
Old 01-20-2010, 04:35 AM

Four.

Abstinence. Well, not that it matters when you're single :P

Condoms. No problems, but I don't know that I'd be comfortable using condoms alone.

Nuva Ring. Out of hormonal BC, it was my favorite because it was really easy to remember.

A few forms of the pill. Hated it. All hormonal BC did was brutally murder my libido, make me depressed and gain weight. Turns out we have a family history of reacting badly to hormonal BC, so I've been off for about 14 months and won't go back on again.

I'm currently single, and don't see that changing anytime soon. I figure I'll have to rely on condoms and spermicide for awhile when the time comes, and then I hope to get an IUD, the copper one. I actually had an appointment made a year ago to get one, but my boyfriend and I broke up so I cancelled it. I'm on my parent's insurance for about another 1.5 years, so I might just erm, embellish upon my relationship status so that I can get it while it's still covered 100%.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

Old 01-20-2010, 05:17 AM

Hmm
1) Abstinence - not the most fun IMO :
2) Condoms - never used alone, only as a secondary method
3) The pill - was OK at the time, but took almost a year for my cycles to return to normal afterwards.
4) NFP - this will likely be the main method until we are done having children.
5) Ecological Breastfeeding (not sure if this should count) - Only until cycles return, and only because we would be OK with an oops, although I'd rather wait until DD is close to 2 for another.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

Old 01-20-2010, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've used the pill but not for many years and not again. Now we usually use condoms. I also seem to go quite a long time between kids without needing any, i didn't get my period back until 16 and 20 months.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 PM

I voted 4-5:

pill
condoms
withdrawal
nfp
Old 01-21-2010, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I answered 4-5. But, reading others answers I remembered a few more so should have answered over 6.
Pill - took lots of trial and error to find one that didn't make me sick. Then I still had to take it at bedtime to avoid an upset stomach. Difficult to remember.
Condoms - wouldn't go back to, but worked out good when dating.
Withdrawal - used rarely. Basically when we hadn't planned ahead and had condoms on hand.
Depo Provera - It probably worked the best of many of the methods. Didn't care for the break through bleeding, but liked being period free most of the time. Liked the effectiveness. Didn't have a huge problem with labido or weight gain. Did take longer to get pregnant after discontinuing.
Abstinence -
Breast feeding - Wasn't too concerned about it not working and getting pregnant as we did want more though not necessarily right away.
Charting - used between babies when I didn't want to deal with the hassle of finding a new method for the sort year or two between babies.
Tubiligation

If I hadn't gotten the tubal I probably would have tried the nuva ring or the patch next.

Before marriage I insisted on using 2 or 3 methods of BC every time. So that probably contributed to the number of forms I've tried.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06

User Tag List