So how effective is the pull out method? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard somewhere that it's about as effective as condoms? My obgyn asked me what bc method I'm using and I told her withdrawl. She wrote me back saying that I should start taking prenatal vitamins now because I will probably get pregnant that way. I have been using this method off and on for over five years. It is way more freeing than charting seems. I would never go back on bcp. An IUD is out of the question for me because I had an ectopic years ago. Overall I am pretty happy about my method. It seems like the only option for me. I went ahead and started taking a womans vitamin w folic acid. I figured it couldn't hurt anything. If I had brought home prenatals my dh would flip. Here's to good health!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#2 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 02:17 AM

FWIW, I got pregnant using that method.
#3 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 02:23 AM

That's how I got pregnant!

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
#4 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 02:25 AM

That's how I got pregnant too!
#5 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 03:01 AM

I think that if done properly it can be very effective..but if you are having sex on very fertile days then i think there is a risk for sure. i have three "unplanned" babies..all were conceived when my SO did NOT pull out. we have yet to get pregnant when he has. that said, i was sure i was not fertile when i conceived my last daughter. i was on cd7 or 8.. so go figure. i would love one more oops baby

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#6 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 03:05 AM

It's pretty effective IF

1) You truly trust your SO to use it correctly and get out on time.
2) You use it EVERY SINGLE TIME (not just when you assume you are ovulating because if your not charting, you can ovulate and not know it.)
3) You only have sex once in a 4 hour period. If he pulls out and then you have a round two right away, there can be sperm left in the urethra that can enter you before he ejaculates.

I've heard this is an effective method, and I think in most cases of people getting pregnant there were other factors involved. BUT, I would only do this as kind of a secondary thing. I think charting is important with this method. Avoiding sex around ovulation is probably safest. I've gotten pregnant with this method twice....lol. The first was because the guy didn't pull out, as promised. The second (just recently) because I failed somewhere in my charting efforts and or DP's men are just REALLY strong and live REALLY long..... Take it for what it's worth. You have to be pretty diligent about it, and be prepared for an 'oops' just like with any other method. Nothing is full proof.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#7 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 04:51 AM

I've always been taught that it's such an ineffective method that it shouldn't even be called a method, because one WILL get pregnant.

That said, if it's worked for you for 5 years, then maybe it does work well for you!
#8 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 05:48 AM

The guttamacher study on birth control methods does have it just as effective as condoms and it is a pretty comprehensive study. The perfect use and non perfect use pregnancy rate is nearly identical with both condoms and the withdrawal method. The pregnancy rate from perfect use is only 4% so it is not guarentee that you will end up pregnant. It is pretty hard to have perfect use and the non perfect use rate is 18% identical to the 17% non perfect use of condoms. I'm sure it hard to have perfect use all the time but I bet there are people who fall under that catagory.

For every story of people getting pregnant I know people who used it succesfully for years to avoid and had no problems getting pregnant when they wanted. I don't think it is the best method if a pregnancy would be the end of the world or is very strongly not wanted. Knowledge of nfp can probably be combined with withdrawal to try to avoid on fertile days. I am not sure why withdrawal gets such a bad rap when condoms don't and they aren't perfect. I bet that OB wouldn't say that to someone who said condoms were their method of birth control. I think it is a birth control method and isn't totally ineffective or a gaurentee that someone would get pregnant.

I just read the posts and I should of just dittoed MammaB21.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#9 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 AM

DH and I have used W/D primarily for about 6 yrs now and no pregnancies. He is *VERY* committed though to not getting me pregnant so he uses it perfectly.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#10 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 PM

DH and I have used it for a year now without a problem. I've noticed he tends to err on the side of pulling out a little too soon, which is just fine with me!

I'm a grad student and have access to a very good microscope at school. Someday I'm going to take in a couple samples of pre-ejaculatory fluid and see if there really are any sperm in there, though I'm sure this varies from man to man.

I also had a PA tell me that she hopes I don't mind getting pregnant with this method because withdrawal only "cuts down the amount of sperm from 8 million to 4 million." Uh, yeah, thanks.

9/2011 items decluttered
#11 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 12:28 PM

I had a demography professor in college who said that the withdrawal method was enough to cause a major demographic shift in Europe in the 1600s. Like other people have said, it's got about a four percent failure rate with perfect use. If I was married and trying to just delay pregnancy, I would probably use just withdrawal. If I truly had to avoid getting pregnant, I would feel comfortable combining it with charting, spermicide, maybe a diaphragm.
Most important rule (the one that got me pregnant) is that it's not as effective twice in a row because some sperm remain. From wiki:

"It has been suggested that the pre-ejaculate ("Cowper's fluid") emitted by the penis prior to ejaculation normally contains spermatozoa (sperm cells), which would compromise the effectiveness of the method.[10][11] However, several small studies[12][13][14][15] have failed to find any viable sperm in the fluid. While no large conclusive studies have been done, it is now believed the primary cause of method (correct-use) failure is the pre-ejaculate fluid picking up sperm from a previous ejaculation.[16] For this reason, it is recommended that users of withdrawal have the male partner urinate between ejaculations, to clear the urethra of sperm, and wash any ejaculate from objects that might come near the woman's vulva (e.g. hands and penis).[17]"

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#12 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 01:50 PM

my now 18 mos old is a result of withdrawl. i was shocked! dh later told me that he accidentally didn't pull out in time. w/ the pre-ejaculatory factor aside, withdrawl is about as affective as the man is vigilant/disciplined.

we still use the method (w/ tools from TCOYF), but we're open to an oops. i woudn't rely on it (my husband!) if i absolutely didn't want a pregnancy.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Alora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Ailish Brynn Elspeth, 6/12/14!
#13 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 02:04 PM

My husband and I used it for an entire year and I never got pregnant. He ALWAYS made sure he pulled out BEFORE anything happened though. If he tries to time it too closely then he will probably end up getting some inside you. Also, if you are a couple who likes to have sex a few times in a row, you have to make sure he pees before having sex with you again. That kills off the leftover sperm from the last round.

FWIW, I got pregnant the first and only time he did NOT pull out. So it worked for us! Just research it and make sure you do it right. And remember that mistakes do happen...some guys think they can control it but can't. We were ok with the idea of getting pregnant but were just kind of putting it off so I wouldn't be pregnant at my sister's wedding and the vacation we had planned for later in the summer. It wouldn't have been the end of the world if I was though.
#14 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

I have a husband who is perfect at withdrawl. He always waits till just the right moment. The only area for improvement would be ejaculating near or on my area. So I guess this is the method I shall stick with. I am going to just clean it up a bit! So how likely is pregnancy if the semen is on rather than in?
For the record, I would love another baby but dh is dead set against it. Oh and he is dead set against a vesectomy. That's all fine but I have never felt that he has the final say in these things.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#15 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 09:14 PM

just to add, we used the withdrawl method for ten years successfully before this last surprise baby. then suddenly, i fell pregnant twice in one year. (one lost via miscarriage) guess he got lazy. or something.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Alora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Ailish Brynn Elspeth, 6/12/14!
#16 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyelms View Post
just to add, we used the withdrawl method for ten years successfully before this last surprise baby. then suddenly, i fell pregnant twice in one year. (one lost via miscarriage) guess he got lazy. or something.
LMAO - aren't you the one I just answered in the other thread too? He didn't pull out once again just this last month?? Men

One thing I would do if I were gonna use the pull-out method would be to temp............that way at least for a week (if not more) out of a cycle he could..........erm, you know

If you are worried about interpreting your temps you can always put them into FertilityFriend.com and then post a link to the Charting to avoid thread and the ladies there will be more than happy to help you!

For whoever asked if it is ok for him to ejaculate near your va-jay jay..........not ok. Although not likely, if you are fertile the sperm could find their way in and up up up.
Personally I would be wary if he were just getting out in enough time to get it all over me

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#17 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 AM

LMAO!

thing is, he was pulling out every time, but i had no idea his timing was starting to suck. (did he even? who knows!) must be an age thing.

#18 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post
It's pretty effective IF

1) You truly trust your SO to use it correctly and get out on time.
2) You use it EVERY SINGLE TIME (not just when you assume you are ovulating because if your not charting, you can ovulate and not know it.)
3) You only have sex once in a 4 hour period. If he pulls out and then you have a round two right away, there can be sperm left in the urethra that can enter you before he ejaculates.
I second this. We used it for several years with total success. We started "Not being safe" and got pregnant soon after. I have never had this fail...

Oh, and if you want to have sex soon after just make sure he pees first It will usually flush out any sperm leftover in his urethra

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#19 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyelms View Post
LMAO!

thing is, he was pulling out every time, but i had no idea his timing was starting to suck. (did he even? who knows!) must be an age thing.

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#20 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Worked for us so far.. it's been 8 yrs Although I wouldn't be upset if I got pregnant either. If I was 100 percent trying to not get pregnant, I'd be nervous about it

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#21 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 03:50 AM

I second the keep up with your dates to combine with this. I always just knew my dates and didn't have unprotected sex during the 10 days in the middle. I never got pregnant unintentionally while using just knowing the dates... not sure if that is the same as charting. I had a long 38 day cycle for most of my life. With one of my long term relationships, we never did the po method at all, just avoided those 10 days... with another more recent relationship, he just po every time, and we used protection on the 10 days... like I said, I never got pregnant this way. However, I do have a surprise baby now, the partner I was with at the time said he would po... but didn't, even though I told I told him I would definitely get pregnant if he didn't... I love her dearly, and wanted her more than I even knew. Thankfully dd1's father has let us move in here with him and is her daddy too, even though we are not in a relationship.... so, use po method and keep up with those dates, avoiding the 10 days of most likely fertility and you will probably be just fine... but know it could happen anyway...

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#22 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 11:28 AM

Like any birth control method, it is based on the user error as to it's effectiveness. And the opportunity for error is greater (or rather, it is easier to make a mistake) so that's why many people frown on it as BC. But like PPs have said, as long as you are educated on the do's and don'ts and your SO is on the ball (no pun intended LOL), then it works just as effectively as condoms. I do like using withdrawal in combination with charting too (makes being "extra" careful around fertile times easier). It does depend too on how big an issue an oops would be. I am using withdrawal right now with the hopes of an oops, but do you think I can get DH to screw up? No way! LOL

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#23 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post
For the record, I would love another baby but dh is dead set against it. Oh and he is dead set against a vesectomy. That's all fine but I have never felt that he has the final say in these things.
Well as far as the vas goes, no you don't have the final say, it's his body.
#24 of 24 Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaJenn View Post
I am using withdrawal right now with the hopes of an oops, but do you think I can get DH to screw up? No way! LOL

I am doing the exact same thing - after MANY years on the pill, I never knew how good DH could be at withdrawal timing! LOL!

Me: T (32), DH: M (33); (Miss you mom! 1/17/00)
Trying to learn/prep as much as I can in hopes of someday becoming a WAHM!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page