How soon can I get an accurate preg. test? - Mothering Forums
Family Planning > How soon can I get an accurate preg. test?
Mother Cake's Avatar Mother Cake 08:55 PM 01-30-2010
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some experiential info here. I am not TTC, but wouldn't mind an oops, so I normally would not be at all concerned about whether or not I am preggo until I missed AF. But I am having my wisdom teeth out in a rather urgent situation, and my cycle this month is being really weird. I want to be able to tell the Docs whether I am preggo or not b/c it might affect what medications I am given.

Becuase my cycle is being weird (not following my usual pattern very well, no idea when to expect AF, could be in 2 days or 10 days), I am not convinced that I am "safe" and I would like to take a test to confirm. Does anyone have any suggestions on which at home tests are most sensitive/reliable and how soon I can expect decent results?

TIA

Pearly's Avatar Pearly 02:21 AM 01-31-2010
I believe it is technically possible to get an accurate result as soon as implantation occurs and your body starts producing HCG. Generally, (or so I've read) implantation occurs between 7 - 10 days after conception. I've tested positive as early as 10 DPO. I've heard others test as early as 8 DPO and get a positive result, but I think that is less common.

I've heard red dye tests are more accurate than blue dye tests. I like the cheap ones you can get on the internet. There are lots of threads on here with links to them.

Dollar Tree stores have $1 tests too that some people like.

I've also heard others say First Response Early Result (FRER) is accurate though I've never used one.

Hope that helps!
HeatherB's Avatar HeatherB 06:30 AM 02-01-2010
I've had faint positives as early as 9dpo. Just make sure whatever test you're using is a very sensitive one. I believe the Dollar Tree tests are supposed to be. I have always used the chart at http://www.peeonastick.com/ for information on the sensitivity.
jeminijad's Avatar jeminijad 01:06 PM 02-01-2010
Dollar Tree test, 10 DPO for me, twice. 9 DPO was still a BFN.

I think the First Response Early Result is very sensitive, but that is not cost effective when you test frequently. Dollar Tree tests are the best!
Mother Cake's Avatar Mother Cake 04:39 PM 02-01-2010
Thanks for the info. I looked at my chart again in the light of day with DH and it doesn't look so confusing. Am thinking BFP would be pretty unlikely.

I have my pre-surgery consult today and am only at 8 dpo, so looks like no test would be reliable this early. Would have liked the BFN to confirm . . . Oh well, thanks again for the help.
Up