CHARTING TTA-wanna start a thread? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2004, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to join this group! I've always taken the pill and actually conceived DD on the pill. I had mentioned FAM to DH a month or two ago and he was very against it. He didn't feel it'd be as good at avoiding a pregnancy as the pill (although DD is here because of the pill). But this month he suggested we look into it so here I am! I am going to buy TCOYF (I have some amazon gift certificates to use!) soon and I have been reading all I can online but I guess I kind of need to know what to do to get started. Is just reading the book the best way to get going? And is this method pretty good at avoiding pregnancy. We would love to have another little one at some point, but we just would have a hard time financially if we had another precious surprise right now! Sorry for all my silly questions. This is all still new to me (my mom was always on the pill and then after my sister was born she had her tubes tied). TIA!

Ashley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2004, 02:59 PM

Tink, I think you're right, it's prolly the heat. We aren't using our air conditioning, and I do temp orally. So, that's prolly it. I just hope it doesn't mean I'm not going to O this cycle.

Well, the gender selection isn't as guaranteed to work as FAM is. But it increases your chances of concieving the gender you want. Personally, I wouldn't want anything guaranteed. I like the surprise.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:44 PM

Ashley, if you use protection or even better - abstinence during your fertile period, FAM is very reliable... My sis conceived twins on the pill and I'm pretty sure my oldest two sis's were conceived on the pill too... When I started, I just literally jumped in and started charting... I looked at other peoples charts alot and read alot about charting... Everyone has different rules regarding their fertility... Each person is going to have different signals, temps, etc... I learned as I went, but that means that you have to be extra careful as to when you have sex... You don't want to dtd when you *might* be fertile unless you don't mind another mouth to feed... Good luck!

Persephone, when you sleep with your mouth open, your oral temps will be wacky... Some people find it uncomfortable, but vag temping is more accurate... Like I said before, my sis is ttc a girl using shettles & I swear her first is going to be a boy :LOL

Full Time Student & Mommy to 3 princesses! 9/03, 2/07 & 2/07

Old 07-19-2004, 12:42 AM

I haven't posted since the first page

I always have wacky temps that seem to level out after O. I'm not sure why. I've only ever temped while bfing so I don't know what it is like while NOT bfing.

I didn't know asbout temping before babe latches on. How far in between latches is it supposed to be??

I can't remember, and maybe everyone is different but, last night dh and I bd'd. I had been bone dry for about 3 days then this morning I had some creamy cm, which I expected, then tonight I have ewcm that is pink tinged. Did we potentially screw up?? (we hadn't had sex in over a month and we were about to explode!!)

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Old 07-19-2004, 01:29 AM

Old 07-19-2004, 06:06 AM

Hi. I just got back to charting this month since having my baby in January. I charted for a year in order to conceive my baby. I got af a few days ago and started a new chart. At the moment, I am not charting to conceive or avoid conception but just so I can know what's going on with my cycles. I am bf so I'm not sure how that will affect things. My temps had always been pretty erratic and my cycles long.

Do you use Fertility Friend to chart online?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-19-2004, 02:46 PM

just wanted to say hi to all the newbies who joined the thread!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:13 PM

Tink79, Thanks for the encouragement.

I think I'm going to go for it. I'm going to buy TCOYF and try FAM. I'm a little nervous about it, but I just don't like who I am on the pill, I gained weight on the pill (pre-DD) and haven't lost hardly any since DD was born. I'm actually not taking it at the moment. It is so expensivem I don't have great insurance, so we just didn't buy ot this month and have been EXTREMELY careful. I'm a little nervous about not being on birth control, but I just don't think hormones are the way I want to go. I do feel encouraged by what I"ve read about the successes people have had TTA using FAM and I figure I probably have as much a chance getting pg on the pill as anything else. I'll let all of you know how it goes!

Ashley
Old 07-20-2004, 01:27 AM

We use condoms because I refuse to take any hormone containing birth control anymore. It makes me crazy. If you can't afford to buy them, you can get them for free at a health clinic or maybe even at your doc's office. The nice thing about using FAM is that you don't have to use the condoms all the time. You can just use them during your fertile period. My dh is gone for 6 months right now so I don't have to worry about any of it anyway.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-25-2004, 09:59 PM

Anyone else experience post AF cramping. This is my 2nd AF since I stopped the pill, I have never had cramping of any type before. I have been cramping since the last day of AF. That was Tues. UGH!
Old 07-26-2004, 12:34 AM

I have cramps all the time now. It started when I went off all hormone containing birth control. I had never had cramps before I went on the pill, but I was very young. I was on the pill for many years and after the birth of my first child I got a Norplant. I had that for 5 years, got it replaced, kept the new one for about 3 months and then had it removed because I was having too many bad side effects. Since then I've had continuous cramping whether I get af or not. At first my OB thought I had endometriosis but none was found during a laparoscopy. I was eventually diagnosed with PCOS, which the birth control would've masked all those years. If you have been on the pill for many years, it may have been covering up something like endo or pcos. If it continues, I would seek medical attention.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:22 AM

Wow, Thank you. I have been on hormone bc pills since I was 14 (I'm 26 now). I stopped them to ttc my son and started them again after 6 weeks pp. I just stopped again about a month and 1/2 ago to use FAM.

I know about endo but what is PCOS? Thanks for the info, I had thought about calling my ob if it didn't quit in a day or two.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:55 PM

Yeah, 14 is very young to start bcp. Your body probably hasn't even totally gotten your menstrual cycle all figured out by then. I think I was 14 when I started bcp and took them continuously until I was 20. I got pg maybe 2 or 3 months after going off the bcp and I had never gotten af during that time so again my body didn't have a chance to signal to me that something funky was going on.

PCOS is polycystic ovarian syndrome. If you are going to see a doc about it, I would go armed with all the information you can get. My first OB dismissed it as endo though she wouldn't do a lap, which is the only way to definitively dx endo, and wanted to just put me on bc again even though I was ttc at the time. When I refused the bc she told me to just take ibuprofen as needed. Well, after 2 years of ttc I read that ibuprofen can interfere with ovulation and here I was taking it almost every day all day long. It took me 3 years of going to different docs before I finally got a diagnosis of pcos.

For pcos info, look at www.soulcysters.com or the PCOSA site.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:21 PM

nak~

hey cara, im sorry to hear about all this, keep us posted, okay?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:11 AM

I'm going the doc today. I'll let you know what he says.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:48 PM

My doc did a pelvic exam and a vaginal sonogram. I have a cyst on one ovary. But nothing else out of the ordinary. He said it was strange to be cramoing after AF, but he couldn't find anything signaling why. He said one cyst as small as this one was (1.6cm) shouldn't be causing any discomfort and wasn't anything to worry about. He did have a little trouble getting a good look at the other ovary. He said it was laying underneath my uterus (as opposed to next to it). But he wasn't concerned about that either. He said to up the amount of ibuprofen I was taking. He said basically to ride it out through this cycle and see if returned after my next AF and if it did to come back.

He was very impressed that I was using FAM as method of bc and said sometimes when women come off of homonal bc (especially when they had been on it as long as I had) that they do have additional cramping that they aren't used to. He also said that since the cramping was post AF he didn't think that was the reason for it.

I'm not sure where that leaves me right now. I guess I'll wait. But like everything else in my life I am sure that I will research on my own to see if I can find my own info.

Sorry this was so long winded, Thanks for reading. Any input or additional reseach sites would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:07 PM

Cara,

Your doc could be right and it could really be nothing. I think I read that all women develop cysts every now and then and it certainly is true that it may take your body a while to get used to not being on the bc. Because of personal experience, I'd just be cautious about taking medication to cover up something that could be more serious. I would also do as you said and learn as much as I could rather than just taking the doc's word for it. The fact that he says it's not normal to have cramping after AF would be a signal to me. If it's not normal, then I'd think it would require further consideration. My cramping actually pretty much disappears while I am having af. It's when I don't have AF that I cramp and the worst time is between O and AF. That is not normal. I'm sorry for going on like this. I'm not trying to preach to you or make you think it's something worse than it is. I'm just trying to relay my experience.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I'd like to join this thread. Here's my story:

I got pregnant with ds about 2 months after quitting the pill. My cycles still weren't regular and so we had no lmp to calculate due date, and I was sort of sad to not know exactly when he was conceived. Ds was born almost 5 months ago. I was relying on LAM for bc. I read Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing and thought I was cool 'cause ds eats so much, including all night long.

Well, last week I thought something was up b/c I started having copious yellow, gooey, wet, cold mucus. Dh and I were doing it a lot. I also had some generalized crampiness. I thought, this is weird, so I did 2 hpts and both were negative.

Well, yesterday morning, what should appear in the bathroom but a little pinkish red mucus and some cramps! I was shocked and I am assuming that this is ppaf. So I freaked out 'cause I don't want to get pregnant again, so I went out and got TCOYF.

Having read that, I am sorta scared that all that mucus last week was fertility returning. Also I have been really in the mood for love!

This morning there was a little red/brown spotting. So I am going out to get a thermometer today (assuming it is not ridiculously expensive) and started a chart on fertilityfriend.

Ds is almost 5 months. I think I want to wait at least a year before ttc. I think it is going to be hard b/c dh and I hate condoms and also have high libidos. I don't see it as realistic for us to abstain for 9 or 10 days, but I hate all other forms of bc.

I noticed that some of you are waiting to ttc your first, but find it hard to suppress the desire to have a baby. Here's my $.02: we thought it would take a long time to conceive since I had been on the pill for so long. Well, it took 2 months and I was 7 wks pg on our wedding day. Now that ds is here, he is the greatest thing in the world and we definitely want more. That having been said, it would have been nice to drink and smoke and go out to concerts and work and travel and generally be 20-something for a bit longer. (Just being honest.) Our priorities have shifted and we don't mind it, as ds more than makes up for it. But a year would have been nice.

Looking forward to working with y'all!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 08-01-2004, 05:58 PM

Hi, everyone!
I would like to join this thread too! This is my very first post ever!

My short bio: married 2 years, no kids (yet), TTA successfully for 8 months using NFP, 3 more years to go til I finish grad school - yep, this is the thread for me!

I just thought I'd mention another great source of info on charting and NFP/FAM (since this is a religious source, they discourage using condoms or other birth control during the fertile time, however, the rules are still compatible whether you choose abstinence or barrier methods - I'm not religious at all, and have still found their info very complete and good)

The group is called the Couple to Couple league, and they have a book called The Art of Natural Family Planning (4th edition - make sure you read that one, it's changed greatly for the better) that has tons of info on NFP. I've also read TCOYF, which I think is a great book and very well written. But I think that TAONFP actually has much better info on TTA, which is what this thread is all about. They have tons in there on practicing NFP while breastfeeding (sorry, can't give you details, as I've not really read those sections carefully since I haven't any kids yet)

If you're interested, most libraries have copies of the book. Or you can buy it from them for ~$20 (they also sell thermometers - both digital and reg, for ~$10-12) And, if you're looking for more detailed, personal instruction, I know they have local classes all over the world and also have a nice home study course, where you send in your charts to an "expert" who helps you with it (that's what we did, it was really nice)

Ok, sorry this is so long, just thought I'd let you know another great source of info.
-Marie
P.S. Lilli - thanks for your $.02 about the good things about waiting also. I need to hear that sometimes! But it's so hard when everyone around me is pregnant or with these cute babies that just fit so perfectly in my arms! ...

DD (2006) and DD (2009) and pos.gif
Old 08-02-2004, 04:23 PM

Hi! I just found this thread, how very cool!

I used FA to successfully avoid pregnancy for the first 6 months of my son's life. After that, we charted TTC for 5 cycles, and got pregnant with BooBah. AF visted me at 4 weeks pp (I'm still angry!) so I started charting again, just in case. I'm about 90% certain that I ovulated on Saturday; if I get my period again on CD 21-28 I'll know for sure. I have never experienced lactational amenorrhea at all, even though I am tandem nursing right now, which I think is terribly unfair, but there you have it! We are now TTA for the next 18-24 months, at least; we won't start TTC#3 until BooBah is able to drink Pediasure and to digest her food well.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 08-02-2004, 06:29 PM

Wow, eilonwy, you have some perseverant hormones to get your cycle back while making that much milk! So you got pregnant with BooBah at 11 months - did it diminish your milk? Do you like the spacing of your children? Just curious, b/c even though most of me wants to wait a loooooooong time before ttc#2, I still have bursts of baby fever.

Thanks-

Old 08-02-2004, 07:14 PM

Yeah, I'm hyperfertile or something. I don't know how I feel about that yet, either. I mean, a lot of women go through hell trying to get pregnant and here I am complaining about how easy it is... I'm really conflicted about it.

I got pregnant with BooBah at 10 months (I have short cycles, so 5 cycles was only 4 months) and I really like the spacing. I did lose my milk and that sucked (which is the main reason we plan to wait longer for #3). My son was not ready to be eating more solid foods and didn't do well for several months, and that was really hard on all of us. Nursing while pregnant was no picnic, but I love tandem nursing; nursing toddlers are useful people to have around.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:24 PM

My, how we've grown! To all of the new comers.

Quick update: My cramping finally stopped. We'll see what happens this next cycle. Hopefully it was a one cycle deal!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:20 PM

So this is my first ppaf. I just started charting and temping and such. Af is almost gone, but since I don't have temperature evidence that I ovulated before af, does that mean I have to wait to bd unprotected until either a thermal shift or next af? Dh is not happy about that prospect and condoms don't work for us.

Thanks-

Old 08-03-2004, 10:49 PM

Here's my chart for viewing. So much for a regular cycle.

http://www2.fertilityfriend.com/home/AlysiasBBTChart

Lilli78, I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking. Are you wondering if you could have an unfertilized egg floating around or could ovulate right now since you don't know if you ovulated before this af? If you are asking if you could get pg right now even though you have or just had af, the answer is probably not regardless of if you ovulated. If you have a pretty good idea of what CD you usually ovulate, you should be able to plan bd around that. Of course, whenever you have unprotected sex, there is always a chance of getting pg. But, then, there's a chance with protected sex, too.

Old 08-04-2004, 12:56 AM

This is my first cycle after ds and so I don't know when I usually ovulate and getting af was a total surprise to me as ds is only 5 months. So applying the tcoyf rules for avoiding pregnancy, I think it says I can't call these dry days as I don't know if I ovulated already. Is this correct?

Old 08-04-2004, 11:49 AM

From what I remember from TYOYF and NFP book if you don't know if you ovulated before an episode of bleeding (ie you don't have record of a thermal shift in temps) you have no idea if it's AF (what exactly does that stand for, anyway? I get what it means, but can't figure out what it stands for? "After Fertility??" "Awful F$%^#$ period???" just curious)

ANYWAY, you have no idea if it's normal AF OR if it's an episode of "breakthrough" bleeding, which means you're possibly ovulating right now and in which case unprotected bd (again, what??) right now would lead to another baby! Be careful! (and you can't just wait until the next episode of bleeding because maybe this one was a real af, but this next one is just breakthrough bleeding.) Basically, if there wasn't a thermal shift, you can't be sure of anything. Breakthrough bleeding often happens in very long cycles close to the time of ovulation, which is why I'm pretty sure that the Billings' method of NFP (mucous only) says that bd unprotected during bleeding could possibly lead to a baby, since you never have a record of thermal shift. (and this often happens more while getting fertility back after breastfeeding infertility)

Good luck!
Marie

Old 08-04-2004, 04:43 PM

I just read tcoyf and it says what Marie has said. If you didn't record a thermal shift, you have to consider this as a fertile time. It could be af, or an anovulatory bleed or breakthrough bleeding from ovulation. The book says to pay close attention to your cervical fluid at this time. The book also says that if it is true af, it is impossible to get pg during af. What usually happens in this case is that the sperm deposited during af survive long enough to catch ovulation several days later. Since you don't know for sure that you ovulated, you have to consider yourself fertile.

AF=aunt flo(w) but you can make any name you like.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:37 PM

We had our first post partum ...event () Monday night. I'm so happy! : Even though I"m still kinda bummed that I've never experienced lactational amenorrhea, I'm feeling pretty good about things right now. I'm going to have to sort out why one day... *shrug* Like I said before, I'm not sure if I can see an evolutionary benefit to having children so close together.

Old 08-05-2004, 12:16 PM

Eilonwy-
I loved your pictures, thanks for sharing! What adorable kids!
Congratulations!!
Marie

User Tag List