Mothering Forum banner

CHARTING TTA-wanna start a thread?

8K views 158 replies 24 participants last post by  Galatea 
#1 ·
Is anyone interested in starting a thread for those charting to avoid using the FAM?

I am reading the book so I am a beginner but I think it would be nice to have a thread where we can come for support and questions.

#2 ·
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!! I have been charting for about 2 years both to avoid and concieve. Right now I am charting to avoid and am having a BIG problem
I have just found out I have minor fibroids, and they are causing me to spot throughout my cycle. How the hell am I supposed to find fertile mucous if I am always spotting
I have 3 kids already, the first 2 are 13 months apart and then i managed to space 2 and 3 2 and 1/2 years. I do not want another baby this year!, yet I am already returning to fertility and have no clue when I am ovulating until after the fact.

#5 ·
I have been avoiding for the past year, but this month I switched to attempting - so this won't be the thread for me! Hahaha (currently 4 days past O, fingers crossed)

The best reference I have found is the Taking Charge of Your Fertility book - there is also a website - www.tcoyf.com

I don't think I'll ever use hormonal BC again - I much prefer charting with occassional condom use.

#6 ·
I'm not charting yet, just learning... I really want to learn about Natural Family Planning. Thanks for the book reference Teensy. What are you reading EBM?

What I'm wondering (and maybe you ladies can help me out here) is if my EBF is going to make it hard(er) for me to chart and figure things out??

DD is 15 mos old and still nurses quite a bit.

#7 ·
Hi Ladies,

I am briefly responding right now because of a lack of time. I am reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility and still learning this whole charting thing.

I am breastfeeding, so things may be a little tricky for me. I am also having problems taking my temperature at the same time consistently.

I have to update the chart on my link too. I had a question about the cervical mucous. If it seems lotiony but seems to rub into your skin is it cervical fluid or just vaginal fluid?

I will post again later.

#8 ·
punkprincessesmama

There is a specific section in the book that deals with charting while breastfeeding and depends on how often you breastfeed and whether or not your menstrual cycle has returned. I think it is a little more tricky for us breastfeeders but we can still learn it.

#9 ·
That's the question I keep wondering about. I had a baby really recently (in Dec.) but I'm already into my second cycle. (?!?) He nurses all the time, and is exclusively bf, so how do I translate that into charting? ( And all the aside issues of waking up frequently in the night etc. And more specifically having a baby latch himself on before I get a chance to temp.)

I originally started reading TCOYF a year and half ago, but got sidetracked. (Well really I had a house fire, but that's a good reason right?) And when I thought about it again, oops! I was pg!

Anyone have a preference between digital and glass thermometers? A friend is having trouble seeing her thermal shift with digital, and switched to glass, but I'm not quite sure the 5 min. required for glass is do-able for me.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mavournin
That's the question I keep wondering about. I had a baby really recently (in Dec.) but I'm already into my second cycle. (?!?) He nurses all the time, and is exclusively bf, so how do I translate that into charting? ( And all the aside issues of waking up frequently in the night etc. And more specifically having a baby latch himself on before I get a chance to temp.)

Anyone have a preference between digital and glass thermometers? A friend is having trouble seeing her thermal shift with digital, and switched to glass, but I'm not quite sure the 5 min. required for glass is do-able for me.
We can learn together because I am still reading the book and unfortunately do not have all the answers to your questions yet. But you mentioned that you are alread in your second cycle. So from what I have learned so far you should be able to chart--but things are little different for women who are breastfeeding. So it would be wise to rack up several charts before completely relying on the method. Once you have several charts under your belt than you can look for a pattern.

I have only tried the digital thermomenter--I didn't want to fool around with the glass because of the 5 minute wait. (unless I need to)

I am having trouble taking my temperature at a specific time although I am doing better finding and determing the height and softness of my cervix.

#11 ·
Quote:
I am having trouble taking my temperature at a specific time although I am doing better finding and determing the height and softness of my cervix.
My only solution, after reading TCOYF a little more, is to temp really early in the morning. DS always wakes up around 5 or so to nurse, and so I figured that is my first waking, even if I do go back to sleep later. I noticed that my temps were REALLY low (like in the 95s) if I waited until I woke again, and I figured that it might be because I nursed earlier.

I only wish that I could FIND my cervix! I'm in a pre-ovulatory phase, so it should be really low, but it's just a little beyond my reach. I've been told that I have a flipped back uterus, and I can tell that I can't really feel it because of this. I'm hoping it'll get easier with time, but has anyone had experience with this?

#13 ·
I started charting to avoid in February of 2003. I had a chem pg in March of 2003. In April I ovulated at cd 21, I think. In May, I ovulated on cd 11
Which is why we have Bryce

I was bfing my 10 month old when I started who was a very frequent night waker. This babe sleeps better so we'll see how it goes.

My temps were a little wonky with Tracy but you could still detect ovulation by it. My ppaf has not returned but I expect it to any day. With my ds1 it returned at 6 weeks. I'm just biding my time now
Oh, I pretty much become instantly fertile
:

#14 ·
I have not actually gotten my act together to start charting, but I am starting to. DD1 had just been conceived when I started charting in earnest. Now, at 3-1/2 weeks postpartum, I just starting menstruating again... so I know I have got to get serious quick. I'm thinking about the OvuSoft software so that I can be diligent about it... and get DH involved.

-- C

#16 ·
I'm TTA! I have read three books on NFP. "Your Fertility Signals", "Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing", and TCOYF. It didn't all come together for me til I read TCOYF. I am now on my second cycle of charting. I'm getting married next month, and we plan on continuing TTA for a couple years, at least. Right now we're using condoms all the time, and I'm hoping that we can stop using them at least some of the time after we get married.

Here's a link on LAM which might be helpful for some of the breastfeeders: http://www.nd.edu/~mmeineke/kelly/lam/lam.html

#19 ·
Only boys: Have you had your thyroid checked? I know that hypthyroid sometimes causes low temps.

As for me, I'm giving up this cycle, seeing as I'm getting married in 4 days, and my sleep cycle is all out of whack. I also think this cycle is annovulatory. I'll be back after af!

#21 ·
I'm so glad that there is still some interest in this. I do hope that EBM sees this and joins back in.

Anyhow, best wishes persephone on your wedding, how exciting.

So far my charting is going well. I'm having trouble taking my temp regularly, mostly because my dd still nurses at night and so I have a hard time making sure I've had three full hours of sleep first. I'm going to chart at least two full cycles before depending on it for bc though, so hopefully this will work itself out.

#23 ·
Hi, all!

I'm new to the boards, but am not entirely new to FAM. I've been charting on and off for the past 18 months and have read TCOYF what seems like hundreds of times ... It's a permanent fixure next to my bed or in the bathroom.

I am also TTA until further notice (a.k.a. dh finishes Ph.D. and gets great job OR we win the lottery
) ... I'm using backup (condoms), though, so I'm not entirely FAM-dependent, but I am charting using temps and CF. I'm a previous Depo user (one of the lucky ones who got her cycle back after six months; some are still waiting for theirs years after they've stopped Depo) and will never go back to hormonal BC (although I certainly don't fault anyone who does use hormonal BC--it's just not for me).

I'd love to join you ladies ... and one of you fine ladies just happens to be my dear friend Mavournin (Hi, G!), who referred me to MDC.

I'm purchasing the Ovusoft software within the next few days, so I'll start posting my chart.

Looking forward to our FAM chats!
Best,
K

#24 ·
Welcome to the thread Kharen

Just wanted to check in and see how all you ladies are doing with your charts. I had a rough week - two sick days where I didn't chart at all and then the batteries in my thermometer died
I'm trying to get back in the swing of things though with some help from dh. I guess I'm going to need some prompting to really make this a part of my routine kwim? Any helpful tips / advice about remembering to check for cervical fluid and cervix position?

#25 ·
Alright, I have a Q for you: I stopped charting about a week and a half ago when things got really busy. I started again a few days ago, and my temps for the past three days have been WAY higher than they were before. I've had mostly dry CM, with a bit of creamy thrown in here and there. Do you think I should give up the condoms? I REALLY hate them and want to get rid of them now that I'm married... but since I haven't charted this whole cycle, I don't know if I Oed or not, though I suspect I did. Here's my chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/13f5b

#26 ·
Hi, all!

Hope everyone is well ...

Well, I received my Ovusoft software in the mail finally (yippee). It took a bit of time, but I was able to input data from my last four cycles, and I'm curreny trying to put it online (having some technical problems, though). I will provide a link to my charts as soon as the gods of technology allow it

Persephone: Hi! It looks like you may be in your luteal phase, as your high temps are fairly consistent with the temps you had during your luteal phase in your last cycle. Is this a long month for you, though? It looks like you had a 36-day cycle last time, and this cycle looks longer. Is that a normal fluctuation for you? Like you, I am also using condoms for backup (an extra precaution, as we are not ready to welcome a baby quite yet). Obviously, it's really up to you and your spouse, but I tend to really rely on the increased security condoms provide if I've had a questionable month (in that my chart is somewhat confusing to me). Since the patterns of your current cycle are not immediately obvious because you're missing some data (which is totally understandable ... I do it, too!), I would err on the side of caution and not toss the condoms in the trash until you feel like your charts are fairly comprehensive and clear.

Punkprincessmama: Thanks for the welcome. Very happy to be here! I actually haven't been checking cervical position, but I want to start (just trimmed my nails down in preparation!
). I usually check CF everytime I go to the bathroom during the day. It actually makes for a more "interesting" trip to the ladies' room while I'm at work during the day. I try to do my kegels as I'm walking down the hall

I'll post again soon as soon as my charts are up.

Health and happiness,
K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.