Weight loss before TTC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our youngest is 8 months old on Monday and DH and I would really like to start trying for another baby. However, I gained way too much weight with this last pregnancy and at 5'6" weigh 170.4 (as of this morning). I know that I'm overweight and really don't want to get pregnant this big, but do I really work to lose the weight just to get pregnant again? I'm at a loss for what I should do. Can someone just give me some advice please? And by the way, I was at 153 starting my last pregnancy- not my ideal weight, but I felt okay about being at that weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 12:39 PM

are you currently on an exercise routine? I have had the same feelings lately, but they say it is even harder to lose the weight after #2. some people also say that they've lost most weight after af returns ( not sure how long you've had ppp.) You might try detoxing: many toxins slow down weight loss. Also, i just saw a segment on Good Morning America where they're starting to rethink exercise and pregnancy. they recomended low impact cardio, and definately ab work for the first 5-7 mos., yoga, swimming, etc.
GOOd Luck and something my hubby always says: remember you're not 16 anymore so set attainable goals!

Married to dh since July '04, SAHM to ds 2/13/09,Standing on the promises of Godhale, cd addict
Old 02-16-2010, 05:10 PM

I was just talking about this with a friend last night. Why would I want to get in good shape just to get all huge and pregnant again? The conclusion we came to was that a stronger and healthier body would be better to go into pregnancy with than what we have at our current fitness levels. I think it has something to do with thinking of fitness and health as a continuum, rather than just something to do until you get to a goal. I have trouble thinking of the former and usually end up reverting back to "what's the point?" type thinking. I don't know if this is any help, I just wanted to say that I know how you feel!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:42 PM

I agree with the PP that being healthy when you get pregnant is important. I had a hard time getting pregnant (not ovulating) and cleaned up my diet to try to help things along. Cut all sugar and bad carbs. I got to an ideal weight for the first time in years, then got pregnant. My pregnancy was easy easy. Perfect bp and blood sugar, and I felt great until the very end.

Just because you get pregnant, doesn't necessarily mean you'll put on fat or gain weight you can't lose. I followed the Bradley diet religiously. I gained 30lbs and was 4lbs over starting weight at 1 week PP. I gained after I had DD and am working on that now in prep to ttc next year.

mom to DD 3/09
Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 PM

I've heard great things about the Bradley diet during pregnancy, but it looks like so much food!

I know that for myself, I want to eat better during my next pregnancy, and getting control over my eating habits now is probably better than trying to do it when all I want to do is sleep or throw up.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everone. I am on an exercise program. Actually, I was in a car accident in December and am doing physical therapy and the guy has been so helpful in teaching me exercises to help with weight loss. I've lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks.

Good luck to everyone with their decision to lose weight!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM

I am also 5'6" and weigh 183lbs. My first pregnancy I delivered at 255lbs. I was 180lbs when I got pregnant. I dieted and got pregnant a second time when I weighed 182lbs. I delivered at 235lbs. I now weigh 183lbs so I guess it's time to get pregnant again! I don't consider myself fat at all. I mean I wear a size 12 jeans. I feel pretty normal. I can assure you 180lbs is a great weight to get pregnant. Good Luck!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM

This is my advice to you. Right now I'm in the "Am I or Arn't I" phase of possibly being pregnant and I just finished losing that last twenty pounds I'd put off for a while. I used to be 105/110....ballooned up to 178 and just went crazy with all junk food in sight....lost down to 140 almost immediately...then 135....and then it took me a year and a half to get back down to 115. Eating raw vegan, doing a detox, yoga, everything and now I'm in the best shape ever and I'm glad I did it either if I'm pregnant or not.

I will never fit into a size 2 or anything again and thats OK because I am healthier than ever. Its not the extra pounds its just the overall health. If you truly feel that those "extra pounds" are due to lack of time to concentrate on doing everything to be in perfect health for the next baby then I'd focus on getting to that place (again for health purposes) before trying to conceive.

Do whatever your heart tells you but I would at least try for a few months to get into a good exercise/diet routine so when you do get pg then it will be easy to continue and maintain.

Best of Luck!

Me and DH and DD (2) and expecting #2 11/27!!!!! thumb.gif
Old 02-24-2010, 03:22 PM

Hi there! I need to lose weight too for my 2nd pregnancy. I am 187 at 5'2. I know - waaay overweight. I do weigh less than when I was preggo with my DD. I had gestational diabetes with my pregnancy and although I am not diabetic right now, I am on the border!!! So keep the great advice coming. Anyone want to buddy up to lose weight? Good dieting tips anyone? Exercise tips? We want to get preggo in the late spring.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:13 PM

Hi, I will also TTC early summer, last year i did the Daniel fast, for spiritual reconnection. I notice that you believe in Christ. You can read Daniel 10:1-3, it explains the Daniel fast, and then google search Daniel fast for more information. Last year i did it for 3 weeks and lost about 20lb, I gained about 6lb back, this year i am doing it for 40 days, I am on it now. U basically give up processed foods, meat and dairy. You eat fruits and vegetables and whole grains. You will still get protein from beans and legumes. In this manner you will become healthier, loose the weight and gain a spiritual connection with Christ. I have 3 children and could not get the weight off after my last child, this helped me and i hope it helps you. Oh, btw, I also did a lot of walking
Old 03-01-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemika View Post
Hi, I will also TTC early summer, last year i did the Daniel fast, for spiritual reconnection. I notice that you believe in Christ. You can read Daniel 10:1-3, it explains the Daniel fast, and then google search Daniel fast for more information. Last year i did it for 3 weeks and lost about 20lb, I gained about 6lb back, this year i am doing it for 40 days, I am on it now. U basically give up processed foods, meat and dairy. You eat fruits and vegetables and whole grains. You will still get protein from beans and legumes. In this manner you will become healthier, loose the weight and gain a spiritual connection with Christ. I have 3 children and could not get the weight off after my last child, this helped me and i hope it helps you. Oh, btw, I also did a lot of walking
Thanks for this post! I know that passage well and never actually thought of doing that fast.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 PM

I'm 5'0 and weigh about 150lbs. My daughter is almost 3 and I have not lost hardly any weight from that pregnancy. We are wanting to TTC sometime but we are both in agreement that I need to lose weight and get healthier and stronger. I dont think I could have a very healthy prengancy at the weight I'm at right now. I've started an exercise program and need to get a good diet going. I'm thinking about starting weight watchers. I did it for alittle bit last year but quit.
I've had a few people tell me its silly to lose weight before a pregnancy. I'm set on this and know its the right thing to do.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:24 PM

here's my advice, go ahead and start trying to lose weight. I am ttc#2 and have been for 10 cycles, i did have a chemical pregnancy at cycle 5 and that coupled with the always thinking you are preggo resulted in me gaining about 15 extra pounds this past fall. I got tired of ttc being my center and focus and decided to go ahead and get healthy and if i get a bfp during my weight loss, good for me, and if i don't, well then that is just less weight i will have to lose after i have #2. I am 5'8" and currently weight 164, I have lost 15 pounds in about 7 weeks. I am following the Eat to Live plan a bit loosely and getting 5 hours of cardio in a the gym every week. I plan to continue losing until my body finds it's ideal weight or i find out I'm preggo, but I can tell I am so happy I am eating healthier and excersizing now as i know that means I will have a healthier pregnancy this time around. With ds I started at 166 and gained 47 lbs and was 213, I hope to never see another number over 200 pounds while i'm on the scale again, preggo or not. With ds who is now a bit over 3 1/2 years, he was a total oops baby, so the second time around I didn't think dh and i would have any problems conceiving, well I was wrong, so that is another you may want to think about, it could be months after you start ttc before you get your bfp, so that would be longer your body is holding excess weight if you decide not to lose it. One thing i had to realize is yes i want to preggo again, and yes i love being a mommy, but I also need to think about my health and my body and take care of myself first and for me that is eating healthier and excersizing. It shouldn't have to do with appearance, but rather your health. HTH

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 03-08-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
. One thing i had to realize is yes i want to preggo again, and yes i love being a mommy, but I also need to think about my health and my body and take care of myself first and for me that is eating healthier and excersizing. It shouldn't have to do with appearance, but rather your health. HTH
This is good. And a healthier mom is a better mom!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
It shouldn't have to do with appearance, but rather your health. HTH
Thanks. This is what I'm trying to achieve...health. I really have been eating crappy this winter, but am getting back into cooking from scratch and eating good foods and exercising. I think DH and I are not going to start trying quite yet so I'll keep working at it and hopefully by the time I'm pregnant I WILL be healthier!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 PM

when DD1 was 3 years old, I looked in the mirror and said: wow, prepregnancy finally - guess it's time to get pregnant again ... and I did.

when DD2 was 3 years old, I noticed the same thing, but needed to wait a little longer for personal reasons. at 4, I specifically remember thinking: guess it's time to get pregnant again ... and I did - this time, not intentionally, but very happily.

now, DD3 is 14 months old, I'm prepregnancy again - joked about getting pg again, but really don't "need" to do it again yet! haha. I hope I didn't jinx myself.

but in all honesty, I think you really need to START your pregnancy at your healthy best.
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
but in all honesty, I think you really need to START your pregnancy at your healthy best.
--janis
I agree. I'm working at it. I've lost 12 pounds total, so I'm at 168.6. I'm slowly cutting out the crap I'm used to eating/drinking and replacing it with healthier options. I work out every other day, not a ton, but enough that I'm noticing it. Thanks for all your replies.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 PM

I would like to know how all of you who are doing detox? I mean everyone I have read says not to detox when you are nursing, so are you all not in the middle of nursing? Or do you know of a detox you can do while nursing!! I would love to know I need to lose some weight as well!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:59 PM

DH and I thought about this too. I am 5'8 and currently hovering around 220-223. I have actually lost about 5-7 lbs in the last few months (holidays) from finally getting sleep. I had been struggling with insomnia for YEARS.

So, we decided it was time to start trying, even though I am not even concidered an ideal weight. I am "living pregnant" as I say - eating healthy portions, veggies, fruits, taking vitamins. I am also walking a lot. So going from eating junk food, being exhausted, and a sedentary life, to eating right, being awake, and being active.

This week, no change on the scale though DH says I look thinner already in the past few weeks. I figure, since I am walking major hills, I am having muscle growth too.

Overall, I think if you "live healthy" you are also going to be preparing for baby. I try to take cues from my sister (her whole life is devoted to healthy....I swear) and just be better about everything. On the other hand, moderation is key in all things!

So, I think I can still get pregnant and have a viable pregnancy at this weight (many people the same size and larger have before!) I just need to continue to take care of myself.

So yeah...do what you feel is right overall. If you feel you can handle it, you know your body better then anyone!

Good luck with weight lost or TTC!
Old 03-28-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
I agree. I'm working at it. I've lost 12 pounds total, so I'm at 168.6. I'm slowly cutting out the crap I'm used to eating/drinking and replacing it with healthier options. I work out every other day, not a ton, but enough that I'm noticing it. Thanks for all your replies.
awesome job! I'm down 20 pounds and I am in a healthy range for my height, but still aiming to lose 10-20 pounds more at least. I am considering taking a couple months off of ttc, but dh and i haven't officially decided yet and we haven't followed any preventitive measures so far this cycle.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 03-29-2010, 10:42 PM

maxwill129, sorry i'm just getting back to you, u r very welcome. I am glad to hear the weight is coming off, CONGRATS!!!! Remember health is the most important thing
Old 04-03-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
We have A LOT in common.
Our kids were born in 9/03, 3/05, 11/07 and 8/09. I am still nursing our little one 10X each day and weigh 170.8 lbs. and am about 5' 6". I would LOVE to get back down to 160. I am a comfortable size 10 at 160 lbs. My pre-pregnancy weight before our first baby was 156, so I am happy with my "goal" weight being 160 at this point.

I have bronchitis and early pneumonia right now, but as soon as I am 100% again, I am starting the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. I did it in January and have lost 12 pounds since then.

We're not TTC, but only use withdrawal at this point. (For my hubby's sake, I guess. I would be happy to take another pregnancy and little one when God blesses us with one.)

Anyway, good luck with the weight loss. You're not alone!

User Tag List