Plan B? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I had an oops last night and I think may be in the fertile part of my cycle. I used to chart regularly but, since we are done having kids and planning on the big V, we just use condoms so I don't really keep track. I know I had very good eggwhite mucus on Thursday so I should have O'd around then right? If so, then we should be in the clear but I'm still worried about it.

Has anyone here used Plan B and can you tell me how it went? I'm thinking of going into PP tomorrow (or Tues. if the are closed for the holiday) and getting it but I had a horrible reaction to BC pills and am worried about really screwing with my hormones. Oh the migraines! On the other hand, a few days of migraines is probably better for me right now than a baby!! *sigh* We've been together for 16 years and this is our first oops... no more champagne for me.

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
#2 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 08:49 PM

Hi SpringRain I have used Plan B before and it prevented any possible pregnancy. It does work. However it did make me really sick with vomiting and headache. It will screw up your hormones as it is like taking a huge dose of bc pills. Sorry I don't have a better experience to share.

Momma to two & two
#3 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 09:50 PM

I've used it twice now. The first time I hated it cuz I barfed! That probably had more to do with the Subway I'd eaten that day though. It was also about 10 years ago.

The last time I took it wasn't that bad at all. I was a bit nauseated and drank some gingerale and slept a lot that day.

Can you get it at the pharmacy? In Canada we can go to the pharmacy and have a little chat with the pharm. and they can give it to you.

Good luck and if you take it I hope it isn't to bad for you.
#4 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Keep in mind, the sooner you take it, the more likely it is to work.

In many states it is available without a prescription at the pharmacy counter.

Hi I'm Elle, a ing mama to my boy, Honeybun
#5 of 13 Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 PM

I used it once 2 years ago. I didnt have any negative reactions and no pregnancy! You can get it over the counter as long as you are 18, you just have to ask the pharmacist for it. I believe its about $40.
#6 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 02:11 AM

I've used it, it made me feel a little wonky, but much better than an unplanned pregnancy. You really need to do it quickly, though.
Also, if you have access to regular birth control pills, there are charts online telling you which combinations of which brands you can use. Like, take four of brand x as soon as possible, then another 4 12 hours later.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#7 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 04:11 AM

I've used plan B three times and experienced no side effects except all three times my period came a few days early. However, when I used to take BC pills I didn't have any side effects either, so it may be different for you.
#8 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 AM

I react very badly to birth control pills. I just took Plan B a few days ago and had hardly any symptoms. I just felt a little nauseated and couldn't sleep. Well worth the peace of mind to know that I am not getting pregnant right now!

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#9 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 AM

I've never used Plan B. I get horrible reactions to BCP's. So I went looking for alternatives. This website is wonderful. I wasn't for sure pregnant, but a pregnancy would have been poorly timed. I used the Vit. C option and aside from the common side effect of *loose stools*, (not diarrhea) it worked great and I was happy. It does take more than just a few days, but it doesn't mess with you hormonally in the way Plan B and BCP do. So just know there are alternatives to big pharma.
#10 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 AM

I've used it. No big problems, it did mess up my cycle though, altho was back to normal in a few weeks.

I went to the drop in clinic, (I'm canadian) and got it for free.

I'd say get it asap. It won't work once you're pregnant.
#11 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 08:34 AM
2xy

I used it once about 5 years ago, no effects that I can remember other than a tad bit of nausea.
#12 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 04:32 PM

I react horribly to bc pills, but I've taken plan b twice now and it was fine for me. Plus it prevented any possibly pregnancy. It's much more expensive at a pharmacy than at PP, I'd suggest going there!
#13 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the opinions and info. After talking about it thoroughly with DH we decided to try Plan B and I pick some up at the pharmacy today. I was surprised and pleased with how easy and painless it was to get (though more $$ than I thought) and it eases my mind that we probably won't have any new family members arriving for Thanksgiving! We figured that even if I get EVERY symptom possible from the pill, it would still be easier and less painful longterm than another pregnancy.

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page