paraben free spermicide - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey mamas. Is there such a thing? I went to get more spermicide (we've been using condoms but were feeling like we'd rather use my diaphragm with spermicide), and discovered it contained both parabens and propalyn glycol!!! clearly, NOT an option. I don't use face products with that stuff, much less large quantities IN me, in contact with a mucus membrane, for a prolonged period of time!!!

Is there a paraben and propalyn glycol and other bad for you stuff free version?

If not, I'm going to have to figure out how to make charting work for me. (ahhh the sleep loss . I'm already sleep deprived. If DP would get up with me when I have to temp, then we could both go back to sleep, I don't think I'd mind so much. but getting up myself in the morning, staying awake for long enough to take my temp with my glass thermometer, writing it down, then trying to go back to sleep unsucessfully, while he sleeps away, really pisses me off. I've hinted to him that I wish charting wasn't something I had to do alone, and mentioned that other people's partners participate in it, but nothing!!)

Why is it that it seems like most of the contraceptive options out there fuck with the woman? We're the one who get's uti's and poisoning from diaphragms and spermicides, we're the one who has to keep track of everything with charting, we're the one who's body get's screwed up with hormonal bc, condoms are no fun for anyone, and he's the one who wants to wait more than me.

umm sorry about the vent posed as a question. the question is still here. thanks.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 PM

Did anyone ever respond to this question or find an answer?

Are there paraben-free spermicides out there?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 AM

I've read on MDC that you can make spermacide with lemon juice and aloe vera gel (and maybe something else.) This was a long, long time ago but I imagine you might be able to find the thread with some digging. I have no idea how reliable that spermicide would be, but it's a possiblility.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 AM

I don't know if it is available in the US, but Contragel is a natural spermicide that has been approved for use in Canada and Europe for use with diaphragms and cervical caps. It seems to have no parabens, propylene glycol, or nonoxynol 9.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

wow, contragel looks promising if it were affordable. It's like $20 a tube, plus about 20 or more shipping.  (even with a bulk rate and the shipping would be less, that's way too expensive).  condom free DTD is not THAT important.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 11-12-2010, 12:47 PM

On well.ca you can buy contragel for 21 USD, plus 14 dollars shipping. Then if you like it, you could order multiple tubes as orders of 99 dollars or more receive free shipping to the US. I don't know if that makes it a bit more affordable for you or not, but just in case you're interested smile.gif

Old 11-12-2010, 10:21 PM

Thank you so much for the information on Contragel.  I think that's worth it, at least to try. Although I agree that it's absurd that we have to go to such expense, and such great lengths to look for, a spermicide that serves the purpose of controlling the sperm without harming ourselves.  I was going nuts looking online for this, and had a frustrating conversation with someone in a "healthfood" store today who kept repeating that they would never stock anything with chemicals that were harmful like spermicide.  She was so self-righteous and missed the point that people need options for contraception that are effective but not harmful to women using them.  Anyhow, thank you, you've saved the day for me... angel.gif

Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Glad you found the info helpful. Hope it works well for you :)

Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that is the best prices I've seen around.  It doesn't make it affordable at the moment, but in the future, I'll look into it for sure.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 PM

I am part of this yahoo group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DiaphragmsAndCaps/

There is tons of amazing information here as well as very reliable people to answer questions. They have available in the files of the group a few different recipes for homemade, natural spermicides, including the aloe vera and lemon juice. There is also information posted on the efficacy of these spermicides. I have found a lot of info here that I could find no where else. I say it is work checking into.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!

User Tag List