Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness, March 2010 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 496 Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cass ~ Why did you set your O day? You don't have it confirmed with 3 high temps yet. If you wait one more day, FF will set it for you.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#182 of 496 Old 03-11-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

MW: I'll be taking it away tomorrow, I like the lines so I set it.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#183 of 496 Old 03-11-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I agree it looks like the software is right. (Wow!! I've never said that about fertility friend before. ) A slow rise typically goes up in tiny increments over several days until it is above the coverline. That doesn't look like a slow rise to me.

I had a slow rise my first cycle charting - here. http://www.tcoyf.com/members/sk8erma...ccharts/1.aspx

Got it, thank you for sharing.

And the software hasn't taken over, I was impatient for cross-hairs so I added them in manually today. I'll be removing them to let FF put them in tomorrow.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

#184 of 496 Old 03-11-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
MW: I'll be taking it away tomorrow, I like the lines so I set it.
I'm the same way.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#185 of 496 Old 03-11-2010, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK, so since I had those two high temps that might have been due to temping later in the morning - 36.5s - I had one more 36.5, followed by a 36.7 and two more 36.5s. MarineWife, would you say that could count as a confirmed temp rise? It certainly looks like one on the chart. (And my CM is being no help. I think I'll try checking my cervix next month, although I have no idea how to go about it...)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#186 of 496 Old 03-11-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
OK, so since I had those two high temps that might have been due to temping later in the morning - 36.5s - I had one more 36.5, followed by a 36.7 and two more 36.5s. MarineWife, would you say that could count as a confirmed temp rise? It certainly looks like one on the chart. (And my CM is being no help. I think I'll try checking my cervix next month, although I have no idea how to go about it...)
You'll have to refresh my memory about what your 6 temps were before the first 36.5s. Do you know what those would be adjusted to? Celsius works a little differently than Farenheit. The rise doesn't have to be as much. Do you know what your CL would be?

#187 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 12:18 AM

blueone: Both TAoNFP and TCOYF say temps consistently under 97.3 pre-O is a sign of hypothyroid. TCOYF says "Most preovulatory waking temperatures range between 97.0-97.7." TAoNFP says "it appears that levels of thyroid that are within the 'medically normal' range may somtimes be too low for normal fertility functioning." If your doctor recommends a glass basal therm specifically, then that's what s/he must be basing the relevent temp levels off of. I say use the glass therm. for the temps your dr needs, but you're probably ok to switch to the digital for the rest of your cycle since CDs 2-5 aren't likely to be part of the pre-shift 6. Just make sure to note the switches on your chart. And as MW said, a lot of women see temps go a little lower & more stabilized in the pre-shift 6.

Cass: O looks like CD 18; wait for one more high temp.

AFM: I think I've O'd, but I'm consistently getting only 3 temps at the LTL with my minimal temping experiment (for the newbies, I'm just charting to see when to expect AF right now as DH is deployed...I don't recommend this practice for serious--or even half serious--CTA!). Here's my chart. I was going to start temping the day before I did, but my therm. died on me. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll dig through my charts and use earliest O minus 6 to determine when to start temping, b/c waiting for EWCM isn't working out like I thought it would. Hmm...I don't know. I just looked through the last year of charts and (except for these last two) there is only one where I didn't have at least 6 days of EWCM before O. And that one I still had 5 days. Not sure what to think.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#188 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
blueone: Both TAoNFP and TCOYF say temps consistently under 97.3 pre-O is a sign of hypothyroid. TCOYF says "Most preovulatory waking temperatures range between 97.0-97.7." TAoNFP says "it appears that levels of thyroid that are within the 'medically normal' range may somtimes be too low for normal fertility functioning." If your doctor recommends a glass basal therm specifically, then that's what s/he must be basing the relevent temp levels off of. I say use the glass therm. for the temps your dr needs, but you're probably ok to switch to the digital for the rest of your cycle since CDs 2-5 aren't likely to be part of the pre-shift 6. Just make sure to note the switches on your chart. And as MW said, a lot of women see temps go a little lower & more stabilized in the pre-shift 6.

Cass: O looks like CD 18; wait for one more high temp.

AFM: I think I've O'd, but I'm consistently getting only 3 temps at the LTL with my minimal temping experiment (for the newbies, I'm just charting to see when to expect AF right now as DH is deployed...I don't recommend this practice for serious--or even half serious--CTA!). Here's my chart. I was going to start temping the day before I did, but my therm. died on me. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll dig through my charts and use earliest O minus 6 to determine when to start temping, b/c waiting for EWCM isn't working out like I thought it would. Hmm...I don't know. I just looked through the last year of charts and (except for these last two) there is only one where I didn't have at least 6 days of EWCM before O. And that one I still had 5 days. Not sure what to think.
Just in reference to the above bolded statement, I would not recommend switching thermometers mid cycle. It's unlikely that both are going to be perfectly calibrated, and there will probably be a difference of a few points which could cause problems in interpretation, leading to estimation, leaving room for user error.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#189 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
I would not recommend switching thermometers mid cycle.
I totally agree with you in most circumstances, but blueone's got a bit of a unique situation here where she's temping for two different purposes. It'd really be no different than not starting to temp until CD 6 (also not recommended for newbies, but can work for some women).

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#190 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
I totally agree with you in most circumstances, but blueone's got a bit of a unique situation here where she's temping for two different purposes. It'd really be no different than not starting to temp until CD 6 (also not recommended for newbies, but can work for some women).
Ok, I just wanted to put that out there. I guess if you know your body really well it might be ok. I know I'm a n00b and wouldn't do it myself.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#191 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I don't temp until AF stops, because I'm temping vaginally, and I figure no temps are better than switching from oral to vaginal temps. Anyone have thoughts on this?

AFM, waiting for , and trying not to panic for no reason.

Reassure me, please!

The only time we DTD was on CD 17; even if I had O'd on CD14, (and I know it could be anywhere between 12-14, because I missed those temps due to CrazyToddler!), I would have been fine on CD17, right? And I'd only be 9 DPOs, and even though my LP is still borderline, I haven't had one LESS than 10 days.

Please tell me to calm the hell down. Please?

Kristine, Mom to Lucy (12/26/07), and Marion (3/16/11)

#192 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroto42 View Post
I don't temp until AF stops, because I'm temping vaginally, and I figure no temps are better than switching from oral to vaginal temps. Anyone have thoughts on this?

AFM, waiting for , and trying not to panic for no reason.

Reassure me, please!

The only time we DTD was on CD 17; even if I had O'd on CD14, (and I know it could be anywhere between 12-14, because I missed those temps due to CrazyToddler!), I would have been fine on CD17, right? And I'd only be 9 DPOs, and even though my LP is still borderline, I haven't had one LESS than 10 days.

Please tell me to calm the hell down. Please?
Calm the hell down

I freaked like that last cycle b/c my luteal phase was longer (which I was trying to make happen w/ herbs, because I feel it's too short to maintain a pregnancy right now!). It was completely irrational.

Anyway, if you just DTD on CD 17, with that chart, I don't see how you could possibly be pregnant.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#193 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Vagina feels wettish to the touch. Pull hand out, clear fluid (but not shiny or stretchy) with one or two curdish white bits. Rub fluid between fingers and it turns into a kind of sticky, brownish "string."

Watery->Creamy->Sticky?

WTF? I have this a lot so I know it's not some kind of weird infection, but I never know what it is! I usually just don't record anything at all when it's lik this.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#194 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 AM

kcroto: Calm down! You have nothing to worry about now. If CD 17 or later was the only time you DTD the entire cycle, you have nothing to worry about period.

And speaking of period, here's what TCOYF has to say about temping at the beginning of the cycle: "It's unnecessary to take your temperature during your period, since these temperatures tend to be somehat high or erratic anyway."

#195 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Uggghh today was supposed to be the third temp above the coverline and it dropped one tenth of a degree below. Tonight is supposed to be date night dang it!

~Amanda~ crunchy, foodie SAHM to DD 8/14/08
#196 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post
Anyway, if you just DTD on CD 17, with that chart, I don't see how you could possibly be pregnant.
I agree, granted I like to worry every month even when I have no chance whatsoever of being pregnant

Quote:
Vagina feels wettish to the touch. Pull hand out, clear fluid (but not shiny or stretchy) with one or two curdish white bits. Rub fluid between fingers and it turns into a kind of sticky, brownish "string."

Watery->Creamy->Sticky?
Watery/Eggwhite? I thought if it was "stretchy" it would qualify as egg-white. Regardless if you're feeling "wet" I would vote it as fertile fluid (signal red-flashing lights).

AFM: Woohoo for red cross-hairs.

#197 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGwynn View Post
Uggghh today was supposed to be the third temp above the coverline and it dropped one tenth of a degree below. Tonight is supposed to be date night dang it!
Do you have a chart link?

#198 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 01:02 PM

kc ~ What everyone else said.

Shannon ~ Isn't that how it works? As soon as you think you've got a good plan based on past cycles, things change.

ready ~ You should record the most fertile CF you see or the most fertile vag sensation, whichever is most fertile. So, since you said you can't tell from look but you feel wet and it's not stretchy, I'd go with watery.

It's not necessary to temp during unless you have a history of Oing very early. I've seen charts that appeared to put O as early as cd9 so not temping until cd6 would not work for that. Personally, I have a hard time believing someone could O that early but that's probably just my person problem because I tend to O so late. Most women don't O before cd12 so then waiting for to be done or c6, whichever comes first, would be fine.

AFM, FF put my dashed crosshairs back on cd35 when I put in today's temp and adjusted my cd34 temp down again. Still nothing on Ovusoft.

#199 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Me again. I've been thinking that I should maybe take my own advice. I'm constantly telling you all that you only need temps to confirm O. CF is only for determining potential fertility. I've also said that once you get the 3 high temps to confirm O you can stop temping and that it's ok to have a few temps go below the CL during your lp as long as you had a clear and sustained thermal shift.

If I look only at my temps, I had a very clear and sustained thermal shift starting on cd36. My temp stayed up for 4 consecutive days rather than just 3, although I could've stopped temping after the 3rd one. I don't need to take any of the temps after that into consideration. However, if I do, I've only had 2 weird temps that went below my CL. I have 2 more above it with today's being relatively high. If I take out the CF and CP data, both FF and Ovusoft give me solid O on cd35. So I'm going to quit fretting about it and just go with O on cd35. If doesn't show on time, then I'll reassess things. By the way, my dh is gone, too, so if I'm wrong it's no big deal. I wouldn't take this chance if I were very strictly CTA.

FF Chart

Ovusoft Chart

#200 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Do you have a chart link?
I've been lazy and haven't entered my info into FF for weeks. Just been keeping a written chart. I plan to fill it in soon so I can get some input though. Thanks!

~Amanda~ crunchy, foodie SAHM to DD 8/14/08
#201 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM

MW: yup. That's what's great about this group...it's always easier to see the obvious on someone else's chart! FWIW, it looks like a clear O to me, unless you were sick last weekend.

#202 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM

MW: That makes sense. It's hard to ignore data when it's right in front of you, but like you said- if you don't need it, then sometimes it's better to leave it out for a clearer picture.

Ready: I would say watery too. The description of you rolling it together sounds like sticky, but since you're pre-o, I would definately pay attention to the wet feeling. Better safe then sorry.

AFM: I've settled into a boring boring pattern, and I'm just literally waiting. After i finally got a temp rise, I realized that my this and last month's temps (edit: charts, as in curves, not temps) look identical-- so I think the weirdness must be due to some new hormonal changes. Other than that, I'm trying not to get my hopes up about a user failure oops three days before o. I've been interpreting the hell out of my signs this month, and all the while trying to convince myself that it's no big deal. I'm delusional.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#203 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Calm the hell down
Quote:
kcroto: Calm down! You have nothing to worry about now. If CD 17 or later was the only time you DTD the entire cycle, you have nothing to worry about period.
Quote:
I agree, granted I like to worry every month even when I have no chance whatsoever of being pregnant
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
kc ~ What everyone else said.
I love *each* and *every* one of you.

I'm just extra paranoid right now, because if I did get pregnant, my due date would fall right in the week when my aunt died, two years ago, right before my daughter was born...plus the trauma of having two kids with birthdays within a month of each other... PLUS the fact that while Robb would accept an accident right now, he's pretty determined that this child should be planned. So...yeah. God, how many more months until July???

Quote:

Watery->Creamy->Sticky?

WTF? I have this a lot so I know it's not some kind of weird infection, but I never know what it is! I usually just don't record anything at all when it's lik this.
Does the clear fluid dry up quickly? If so, I'm voting for sticky in regular vaginal secretions.

Kristine, Mom to Lucy (12/26/07), and Marion (3/16/11)

#204 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so now that I have confirmed anyone want to uh, tell me what the chances are that I'll be getting an early Christmas present this year?

We last dtd on CD 13 (O-5).. kinda threw caution to the wind cause we had a day to ourselves.

*note* we are bad TTa'ers... I think it's mostly because we're both open to another baby but don't want to start officially trying. Please do not follow my example and dtd on days you have CM if you REALLY are TTA.

#205 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
We last dtd on CD 13 (O-5).. kinda threw caution to the wind cause we had a day to ourselves.
I read something tha said most pgs occur from dtd the day before and the day of O. FF gives a good to excellent rating for dtd within 3 days of O. A pg can occur from dtd anytime within 6 days of O so you do have a chance. I just don't know how much of a chance.

#206 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I read something tha said most pgs occur from dtd the day before and the day of O. FF gives a good to excellent rating for dtd within 3 days of O. A pg can occur from dtd anytime within 6 days of O so you do have a chance. I just don't know how much of a chance.
Yea, FF will tell me what my possible due date will be. However, according to FF I'm not in the "fertile window" so it doesn't include the pregnancy points or whatever (I hide them anyway.)

Ah well, nothing I can do about it right now. Trying to plan on it being as usual, that way when I get AF I'm not disapointed and if I miss her than I can get excited

#207 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Yea, FF will tell me what my possible due date will be. However, according to FF I'm not in the "fertile window" so it doesn't include the pregnancy points or whatever (I hide them anyway.)

Ah well, nothing I can do about it right now. Trying to plan on it being as usual, that way when I get AF I'm not disapointed and if I miss her than I can get excited
FWIW, when I got pg last April it was from dtd 5 days before O. But then I seem to get pg every time we dtd within my fertile window, which anytime from 6 days before O as long as you have CF other than your BIP.

#208 of 496 Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroto42 View Post

Does the clear fluid dry up quickly? If so, I'm voting for sticky in regular vaginal secretions.
Yes, now that you've said that, that's exactly what it seems like. Doesn't really matter because I don't plan on ever DTD unprotected pre-O. My dang CF is just too fertile and my LP is too short

#209 of 496 Old 03-13-2010, 02:00 AM

lyterae: A few years back I found an online 'thing' that you input information into and it spit out a pregnancy % chance. Don't know how accurate it was, but I'd love to find it again!

Found it!!

Online Pregnancy Calculator

Now it only works if you have picture perfect cycles apparently... though I guess for fun you could put in a fake date based on when you know would be 5 pre-o.

On second thought... maybe not. I just entered in my current information based on 5 days pre-o, and it's giving me 48% chance. Not likely... If I switch it to 3 days pre-o, it STILL gives me 48%. Well it was fun while it lasted...

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#210 of 496 Old 03-13-2010, 02:13 AM

Found this:
Quote:
Conception occurred only when intercourse took place during a six-day period that ended on the estimated day of ovulation. The probability of conception ranged from 0.10 when intercourse occurred five days before ovulation to 0.33 when it occurred on the day of ovulation itself. There was no evident relation between the age of sperm and the viability of the conceptus, although only 6 percent of the pregnancies could be firmly attributed to sperm that were three or more days old.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page