Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness, March 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 496 Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the March 2010 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); most are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are not CTA but are also not TTC, and continue to hang out here.

If you would like to be added or removed (or have anything changed) from the roll call list, please let me know by PMing me. PM me if you'd like to start next month's thread.

If you did not post in February, you may have been deleted from the list. If you were mistakenly deleted, or you would like to be added/removed, please PM me and let me know. I cannot promise to make changes requested in the thread, but I will try to get to everything.

You must post in March if you want to be on the April list!

*Charting/Using FAM/NFP to AVOID*

who we are:

AnnieA - since 12/07
Annie2186
Baby_Cakes
BarefootScientist - since 08/08 and 12 cycles in '05-'06
bbrandonsmom
BettinaAuSucre
Blueone
dealic
dex_millie
dislocator3972
Echospiritwarrior
Eirual
First Time Mama - since 12/08
Fresh veggie
GeoMomma
Greenmamapagan
GriffsKat - since 4/09
HulaJenn
InMediaRes
JenineJessica - since 12/07
Kimmiepie - CTA since 11/09, plus 4 years before (with TTC, too)
Kcroto42 – CTA since 10/10
larablue
lmevans
Lyterae - CTA since 11/09, plus 5 months before
Maine Mama Doula
Mama Lo - CTA since 1/10
MamaGwynn - CTA since 11/09
MarineWife – CTA for 10 months, now CFS&G
Meksmama - CTA since 1/10
MovingMomma - CTA since 02/09 plus some time before
MsVyky
nerdymom
Newbiemama09 - Using FAM for 2+ years
OSUvet
Pogo0685
RaraAvis - CTA since 8/09 plus 13 months before
Readytobedone
Sk8rmaiden - CTA since 1/10 plus 12 months before
Smokering
Smylingeyz
Taryn237
Toolip
Tracymom1
turniquia
whitekole
Wholewheatchick - CTA since 05/09

Pregnancies per Month (due to user error or condom failure unless otherwise noted)
February - at least 1
March - 2
April – 2
May – 2
June – 0
July - 0
August - 0
September - 1
October - 0
November - 0
December – 0
January - 0

Happy charting!

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry day rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak day rule: the last day of fertile mucous is called the peak day (the day before your mucous begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucous appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature shift rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2 degrees F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1 degrees F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books:
Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility and
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

Websites:
Ovusoft charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
myfertilitycharts.com free software for ttc or tta
Author Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility website
Mothering Magazine article by Katie Singer
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations:
AF: Aunt Flo, your period
AFM: as for me
BD: baby dancing; bed dancing (i.e. sex)
BFP: positive pregnancy test (big fat positive)
BFN: negative pregnancy test (big fat negative)
BIP: basic infertile pattern
CD: Cycle day
CM: cervical mucous (same as CF)
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
DPO: Days past ovulation
DTD: Do the deed
GIO: get it on
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucous/fluid
LP: Luteal phase - the time from ovulation until your period, average 10-16 days
LTL: low temp level (basically 1/10th below FAM's CL or on the highest of the 6 previous temps)
HTL: high temp level (4/10ths above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#2 of 496 Old 02-28-2010, 08:21 PM

Hello, new thread!

I have taken no temps in over a week. I had food poisoning and then was sick, and now the baby has hidden my thermometer. Plus I have not been particularly motivated, since I suspect it will be months and months and months before I O.

Back on temping tomorrow!

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#3 of 496 Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Yay for March! I have so many birthdays in March. My oldest ds will be 19 on the 11th. That's also an uncle's birthday. My mom's bday is on the 18th. A niece has a bday on the 23rd and mine is on the 25th. I'll be 40! I can't have a big 40th bday party cuz my dh is gone.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#4 of 496 Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Murphy's Law...if you buy more pregnancy tests...you WILL get Af! Infact I think it started as I was at the checkout! LOL (at least I didn't waste them by peeing on it though. Those are for next month's obsessing!)
And now I am confused as to which day I truly O'd since it is early for me to get AF with a cd17 date and late for a cd13 O date. Phooey. I am going to eat chocolate now. (Oops I know I shouldn't be saying phooey in a CTA thread about not being pg! LOL)

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#5 of 496 Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 PM

I hear ya Hulajenn, I bought one even, because i was feeling shitty this week and the symptoms reminded me of being PG with my first. Sure enough, two days later, spotting. So about 9DPO...here comes AF. ARGGH but another month of successful avoiding and I can get my IUD on the 4th. Whooopie *sarcasm*

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

#6 of 496 Old 02-28-2010, 09:30 PM

HJ, my guess would be CD 13 with a chemical pregnancy. I REALLY saw a line on that first one, and I am not a wishful thinker, see a line everywhere type people. It would explain the funky LP.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#7 of 496 Old 02-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
HJ, my guess would be...a chemical pregnancy. I REALLY saw a line on that first one, and I am not a wishful thinker, see a line everywhere type people.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#8 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 01:30 AM

Hi everyone Hooray for March! Happy CTA!!!
#9 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 02:31 AM

hello all! I started my first chart Feb 13th. Now as I seem to be nearing ovulation I have a few questions do you all mind? I thought about starting my own thread but why clutter up the forum if I don't have to, right?

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#10 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 04:04 AM
Banned

Subbing. Still waiting for PP AF.

Hooray, March! Begin the Great Birthday Month at our house. DD on the 1st (she's 1 tomorrow ), DH on the 10th, DS on the 31st. I wish I was one of those mean moms who just made everyone have a joint birthday because I just realized yesterday how much work I made for myself this month.

I made it a whole year with no AF! I'm kinda hoping she stays away a little longer. I've resigned myself to realizing that we're not going to have an 'oops', so I might as well be period-free while I'm waiting another God-knows-how-long for DH to decide it's okay to DTD unprotected. Ever.

Anyway, hi!
#11 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi! New here

We're supposed to be CTA, but we've been getting more and more lax about it. I'm on CD1 after a 51 day cycle. So glad to be starting over!

I really do need to finish getting my dental work done before we purposely make a baby. lol So hopefully soon!

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

#12 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 AM

Hey, all,

Haven't been around much because the two year old has found her independent streak and hoooooo boy. I also came home from church today and got to tell her dad that she had her first boyfriend; yup, went down to the nursery to pick her up and found her kissing a little boy. !!! So precocious (sigh).

So with two months of successful CTA under my belt, I'm feeling really good right now. Gearing up to O soon, starting to get some EWCF, temps crazy because they always are on the weekend, but nothing exciting to report!

Kristine, Mom to Lucy (12/26/07), and Marion (3/16/11)

#13 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 AM

Hi everyone! I know I didn't post much in Feb., and since I'm now 11 DPO I'm hoping I'll get to join the NOV DDC, and see you all in a few years, but I guess I'm just playing the waiting game right now!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#14 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 02:02 PM

Holly ~ Ask away

lmevans ~ Welcome

AFM, still waiting for O. EWCF coming and going and temps up and down. I just realized I had started taking metformin again October and my cycles were nice and short. I quit taking it after dh left in January and now my cycles are getting long again. I was planning to start taking maca and zymessence but I don't think I can spend the money. It's around $100 for both. Maybe I can get just the maca. Frickin' PCOS!

#15 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Jenn:

Holly: Please join in! That's what we're here for

Leah: Yay for making it to a year! Happy Birthday to your little one.

Imevans: Welcome!

Kcroto42 : My dd (age 3) proposed to a little boy at daycare, they were all set to get married and he got cold feet

Emily: Fingers crossed for you!!

MW: What is zymessence? Can you go back on the met?

AFM: CD10, just hanging out..
Have any of you noticed patterns around when you are going to ovulate? I've noticed that my skin breaks out prior to O and that's also when I get headaches. No particular range near O, but prior to O regardless. I always used to assume (without really paying attention) that the acne happened around the time AF was due and so far since I've been watching that has not been the case.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#16 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
MW: What is zymessence? Can you go back on the met?
Zymessence is a combination of enzymes that are supposed to help with RPL. It's supposed to replace aspirin therapy for blood clotting problems that may result in RPL. I could easily get back on the met but I don't like taking it. Since it's a medication for treating insulin resistance and diabetes I'm worried about how it might affect my body's natural ability to use insulin. It's probably crazy but I'm afraid it will cause me to get to diabetes. I'm also concerned about the long-term effects it may have on my nursing child. Maca is a natural supplement that is supposed to help with the hormonal imbalances associated with PCOS (which is what the metformin is supposed to do) so I thought I'd try that instead. The only reason to really worry about any of that is if I want to TTC. It's hard for me to commit because, while I wouldn't mind having another baby, I don't want to TTC again and I would also like to just let things be whatever they will be. I had one child without any supplements or medications and under rather bad conditions healthwise. I want to be able to do that again. Probably wishful thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
Have any of you noticed patterns around when you are going to ovulate? I've noticed that my skin breaks out prior to O and that's also when I get headaches. No particular range near O, but prior to O regardless. I always used to assume (without really paying attention) that the acne happened around the time AF was due and so far since I've been watching that has not been the case.
I think I've noticed some patterns with my cycles. My temps seem to drop for a few days before O. My face breaks out sometimes around O and I seem to get more energy. Then there's the increased sex drive. I do also break out right before .

#17 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the . I guess it was not meant to be then right? At least I didn't mess with your CTA stats though? (my optimistic note)
We will only have 1 more month of uncarefully CTA, and then we will have to go back to seriously CTA - we don't want a baby interfering with my full time work contract which means no january-April babies!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#18 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
HJ, my guess would be CD 13 with a chemical pregnancy. I REALLY saw a line on that first one, and I am not a wishful thinker, see a line everywhere type people. It would explain the funky LP.
I think I'm with you guys on this one. Because I *don't* see faint positives, and I did see the one on the "broken" test. It would make sense with your symptoms and dates as well.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#19 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Yay for free days of FF just as I'm gearing up to o. Would be better as I'm gearing up for AF, but still...
Funny thought... the little stoplight thing tells me I'm "most fertile", but right below that under "stats" it says "probably not fertile." *scratches head* Really, because I had EWCF today, and my only stat is "ovulation pain" entered... today.

How is that "probably not fertile?" Especially since I'm on day 13 and my average o day is 16.

Silly FF.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#20 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
Yay for free days of FF just as I'm gearing up to o. Would be better as I'm gearing up for AF, but still...
Funny thought... the little stoplight thing tells me I'm "most fertile", but right below that under "stats" it says "probably not fertile." *scratches head* Really, because I had EWCF today, and my only stat is "ovulation pain" entered... today.

How is that "probably not fertile?" Especially since I'm on day 13 and my average o day is 16.

Silly FF.
The stats are from your previous cycles, not the data you've put in this one chart. I was going to say you must not be close to your usual O day until you said where you are. Seems 3 days before your average O would be a possibly fertile time. Is that your average O day according to FF or something you figured out on your own? Do you have green boxes in the Stats row below the CP row on your chart? That will give you an idea of what FF considers to be your window of highest fertility. I've got a green light with "most fertile" on my chart because of ewcf recently but "probably not fertile" next to the stats because I'm on cd32 and my average O for the last 5 cycles was cd19.

#21 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 PM

According to FF my green boxes start today. I went back and altered two temps that were taken two hours early (days 8 and 9) and FF still says I am "probably not fertile" but my phase is still "most fertile". If I switch it to FAM, it goes to "possibly fertile". It's just funny that they differ, same as yours, I guess though it makes sense if one is based on averages and one is immediate data (ie CF and stats).

FF says my average 0 day is 16 with a min of 13 and max of 22. Though 16 makes perfect sense with what I would have said too.

I'm guessing the stats box is saying probably not because I'm only had one day of EW after being dry for two days? That's the only thing I can think of.

#22 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 10:25 PM

Hey Ladies!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1501dc

Well, it looks like (hopefully) my LP is lengthening, which is what I want before we start TTC. It's going to be at least 10 days this cycle, which is better than the 9 I had last cycle

Either that, or my period is late and I'm pregnant.

There's no way, right? We DTD a week before O according to FF, and we used a condom.

I don't want to get pg before about June, both because of the LP problem and for life circumstance reasons.

Also, maybe I should post in a different place about this, but now that I am taking B-6 and Vitex, it looks like my temps are considerably higher than before--both pre- and post-O, but more noticeable with post-O. Is that typical? Does that mean my progesterone levels are up?

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#23 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
According to FF my green boxes start today. I went back and altered two temps that were taken two hours early (days 8 and 9) and FF still says I am "probably not fertile" but my phase is still "most fertile". If I switch it to FAM, it goes to "possibly fertile". It's just funny that they differ, same as yours, I guess though it makes sense if one is based on averages and one is immediate data (ie CF and stats).

FF says my average 0 day is 16 with a min of 13 and max of 22. Though 16 makes perfect sense with what I would have said too.

I'm guessing the stats box is saying probably not because I'm only had one day of EW after being dry for two days? That's the only thing I can think of.
Yeah, I was joking with someone on another board about how FF is all, "Mucus is MOST FERTILE" but "You are probably not fertile." It's really odd until you figure out that one is based on CM alone and the other is based solely on past cycles.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#24 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Average, mode and median can be different. If your mode (most frequent) is closer to the cd22 O, FF will probably figure your more likely to O closer to that rather than your average of cd16. That might be why it's saying you probably aren't fertile. Does that make sense?

Vitex and B6 can both extend lp length. Vitex, at least, could also make temps higher since it causes progesterone levels to be higher.

#25 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM

Emily: hope hope hope!
HJ: s

I am not worrying, although my temps just keep seeming to rise. . . But if it was triphasic it wouldn't have started so soon after we DTD -- right? My Ovulation Chart
Waiting for AF -- probably it's coming, since I'm getting all hormonally worried. . .

*BETH* mother of DD (8) and DS (6) along with 2 dogs, 2 cats and about 100 chickens
#26 of 496 Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaraAvis View Post
But if it was triphasic it wouldn't have started so soon after we DTD -- right?
That's perfect timing for triphasic temps, 8dpo. You also have a nice implant dip on cd25. None of that means you are pg, though. Are you asking about the BD on cd25? That wouldn't affect anything since you Oed on cd21.

#27 of 496 Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 AM

Thanks for the welcomes! I guess I'm mostly wondering if I'm fertile at all. My temps are really low (in the 96s) and I'm still bf although DS is [mostly] nightweaned. I did observe what I think might be EW, but I don't know. It was clear, really bouncy, stretchy fluid. More like a jelly or a booger. Is that considered eggwhite mucus or not? My chart on fertility friend. Any insights would be appreciated.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#28 of 496 Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 AM

What time are you temping at? The past few months I've been temping 5-530am and those line up with my normal temps. My coverline for a few months in a row was 97.1 or 97.2, no higher. If you're not getting great sleeps during the night, that may be making them a bit lower too.

How long have your cyucles been since they came back? It's too soon to say obviously, but it looks like you may have ovulated yesterday, there's certainly a bit of a temp rise from today, and it makes sense with the fluid dry up.

And that description sounds exactly what I would place as EW.

#29 of 496 Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroto42 View Post
Haven't been around much because the two year old has found her independent streak and hoooooo boy.
Me too! Also, taking care of my sick grandpa. Staying with him in a different state from my hubby so there's not going to be much chance of pregnancy this cycle. Here's my chart.

nerdymom, I think it's very possible that you ovulated CD 16. You'll need a couple more high temps to confirm. And the snotty mucus you describe I think a lot of us contend with. Some of us call it creamy, others eggwhite, others sticky I think, depending on the person, their preferences, and the actual fluid in question...but yes, it is potentially fertile.

Thanks for the new thread and happy March to everyone!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#30 of 496 Old 03-02-2010, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
An un-eventful CD3 here. CD1 brought with it horrid cramps- I was puking and sweating and felt about ready to pass out...and that was after a couple of advil, heat pads, bath, and rest...in the middle of the night no less. Not fun...every now and again AF is just plain MEAN!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page