Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness, April 2010 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 370 Old 04-06-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post

I have a question. Although I feel AF is right at the doorstep my temp went back up this morning. Why does it have an empty circle on the temp instead of a filled in one? http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2be681
I thought the open circle was for if you a.)selected "sleep deprived" or b.) if you temped way out of your normal time

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#62 of 370 Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
I thought the open circle was for if you a.)selected "sleep deprived" or b.) if you temped way out of your normal time
I must have accidentally clicked sleep deprived. Thanks!!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#63 of 370 Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
I must have accidentally clicked sleep deprived. Thanks!!
Ok, so this is me overthinking, but I'm wondering for anyone who has had sedation before for medical procedures (ie... wisdom teeth), if you remembered what the drugs are they use, and how bad they are for early pregnancy? I honestly have no reason to believe I would be pregnant this month, however, I'm getting teeth extracted on Friday under sedation, and I'll be 13dpo- my average LP is 12 days, but 13 is well within my norm the past 6 months. So I'm just wondering if I don't start before then, or have a big temp drop, indicating AF coming soon... well... how worried should I be? The obvious answer is to take a test thursday if I dont have an answer yet, but I'd love to avoid that.

Hmm. Didn't mean for that to be a quote... lol

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#64 of 370 Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
Ok, so this is me overthinking, but I'm wondering for anyone who has had sedation before for medical procedures (ie... wisdom teeth), if you remembered what the drugs are they use, and how bad they are for early pregnancy? I honestly have no reason to believe I would be pregnant this month, however, I'm getting teeth extracted on Friday under sedation, and I'll be 13dpo- my average LP is 12 days, but 13 is well within my norm the past 6 months. So I'm just wondering if I don't start before then, or have a big temp drop, indicating AF coming soon... well... how worried should I be? The obvious answer is to take a test thursday if I dont have an answer yet, but I'd love to avoid that.

Hmm. Didn't mean for that to be a quote... lol
Hi mama. I am having wisdom teeth removed on thursday too. I am also nursing. Are you being completely sedated? Is it oral sedation, nitrous oxide gas etc? I think that if you are pregnant they will not do certain types of sedation so you should definitely find out before hand if possible. If not, call and tell them you might be pregnant and just see what they say.

If you are pregnant or you are still not sure, could you just do novacaine? That's what I'm doing and it's safe for pregnancy/nursing. I had some of my other wisdom teeth removed with just novacaine a few years ago and it was just fine!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#65 of 370 Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I'm getting teeth extracted on Friday under sedation, and I'll be 13dpo- my average LP is 12 days, but 13 is well within my norm the past 6 months.
I'm not sure how the sedation meds could affect pg. However, at only 13dpo a fertilized egg is not sharing blood with you yet because the placenta has not formed so any drugs that early should not affect anything. Of course, I don't know that for sure. Just sort of a common sense conclusion I have come up with.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#66 of 370 Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I'm not sure how the sedation meds could affect pg. However, at only 13dpo a fertilized egg is not sharing blood with you yet because the placenta has not formed so any drugs that early should not affect anything. Of course, I don't know that for sure. Just sort of a common sense conclusion I have come up with.
That was my thought too but I have no facts to back it up with.
#67 of 370 Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 AM

I am trying very hard not to obsess over this chart...I know that temperatures don't mean a thing, and I'm only 10 DPO so I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#68 of 370 Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 AM

I've got a slight dip today, so that's good. But thanks for the responses. I guess that's a pretty good conclusion though! I think in my head I'm just like gee... I've wanted to be pg for so long, and watch me lose a pregnancy because it's so unstable that early on... just because I had to have this surgery. Very not nice thought! But you're right, at that point, there's not much really being shared, so the trauma to the would-be baby is probably a lot more slim than if it happened at say 8 weeks. *nods* I can deal with that.

As to sedation- It's IV sedation, with I think two different drugs, I want to say Versed and something else. I can't do just a local. I am absolutely terrified of dental work, it took me three years to work up the nerve to do this, and since I'm having four impacted teeth out, the guy strongly strongly recommended sedation, otherwise he didn't think I'd make it through.

WWC: That's a pretty chart. Mine did the same thing this month, but appears to be dropping again. It would be somewhat ironic if yours didn't drop this month though huh?

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#69 of 370 Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
I am trying very hard not to obsess over this chart...I know that temperatures don't mean a thing, and I'm only 10 DPO so I guess I'll just have to wait and see!
Climbing...

Quote:
I've got a slight dip today, so that's good. But thanks for the responses. I guess that's a pretty good conclusion though! I think in my head I'm just like gee... I've wanted to be pg for so long, and watch me lose a pregnancy because it's so unstable that early on... just because I had to have this surgery. Very not nice thought! But you're right, at that point, there's not much really being shared, so the trauma to the would-be baby is probably a lot more slim than if it happened at say 8 weeks. *nods* I can deal with that.

As to sedation- It's IV sedation, with I think two different drugs, I want to say Versed and something else. I can't do just a local. I am absolutely terrified of dental work, it took me three years to work up the nerve to do this, and since I'm having four impacted teeth out, the guy strongly strongly recommended sedation, otherwise he didn't think I'd make it through.

WWC: That's a pretty chart. Mine did the same thing this month, but appears to be dropping again. It would be somewhat ironic if yours didn't drop this month though huh?
I think you should just take a test before the appt, and if it's negative don't worry about it anymore. If it's positive, just let the clinic know and see what they say. Good luck at your appt.

AFM: My chart was climbing a lot, then this morning I had a big dip. So I'm expecting AF any second now. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2be681

#70 of 370 Old 04-07-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
Woohoo! We can all obsess with you if you want company

AFM: CD 15, waiting for O...

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

#71 of 370 Old 04-07-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Woohoo! We can all obsess with you if you want company

Ya'll are no help at all in calming my nerves! It's is just making life complicated because now there is a chance I could get an assitanceship for grad school that would pay all of tuition, books, fees, and a living stipend, in return for full time work + full time school for 2 years. Which how I am supposed to fit that in with taking care of a house and being a "full time wife" I'm not sure! Plus it would mean NOT getting PG for 2 years.

So a baby now would certainly make that decision for me, about whether to apply for this deal or not...but I'm not sure I want my decision made for me, kwim? Wow, I totally suck at this letting go and letting God thing! Fortuenately, DH is much more philosphical and strongly belives that things happen for a reason.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#72 of 370 Old 04-07-2010, 04:59 PM

Well, Emily, it does look promising for a TTC chart, but...We all know triphasic temps and all the other possible signs of pg don't guarantee a pg. You could always test tomorrow. You could possibly get a BFP if the test is sensitive enough and you use FMU. Of course, if you get a BFN, it won't be definitive. $ Store hpts are cheap and sensitive and always worked well for me.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#73 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Bah. Day 23, 8th day of EWCM and still no ovulation. It's bugging me for some reason - I woke up at six the other day and temped (and then re-temped at the correct time), just because it was on my mind. I want to see FF do the crosshairs thing!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#74 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 AM

haha I was sitting and staring at my chart yesterday and DH was like 'what?' I started waving at it and I was like "gooooo!!! go! Fast forward!" He obviously didn't udnerstand... but I said it's like you're putting together a puzzle verrrry slowly, and it's frustrating not being able to see the big picture with all the answers all in front of you. I love being at the end of the month and having a nice pretty chart that makes sense. But it *sucks* when you're in the middle and it all feels so unfinished!

#75 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 AM

Exactly! This is only my second month charting - I used paper last month - and by the time I was SURE I was safe, AF arrived the next day. It'll be good to have a few charts under my belt, just so I can know I'm doing it right.

#76 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 AM

Did any of you have to convince your partners that this was a safe method? DH refuses to think it's safe ever. I mean, I can understand before O, but on CD1?! He's working for the condom police, I swear.
#77 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Cycle buddy! I think it could be a while for me yet...

fresh-veggie, I haven't had that problem. I know a lot of other ladies have. My DH was skeptical at the very first, before either of us really knew a lot about the method, but we decided together to go off the Pill and from then on he trusted me to implement the method and that it would be effective, after I told him how it actually works (I think he was thinking it was some kind of voo-doo rhythm method at first, as was I).

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#78 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
Cycle buddy! I think it could be a while for me yet...
Woohoo! I don't often get a cycle buddy!

Fresh Veggie : I think it comes down to how educated our significant others want to be, this isn't some crazy art. It is scientifically based however most people don't know how a woman's body works in relation to her "cycle". My husband was skeptical at first, but there is a reason for how the method works and there are rules to follow. It was actually the main reason we took a class through the couple to couple league. He needed "real" people (not just me or a book) to explain it and that he could ask questions.

#79 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_veggie View Post
Did any of you have to convince your partners that this was a safe method? DH refuses to think it's safe ever. I mean, I can understand before O, but on CD1?! He's working for the condom police, I swear.
My guess is that he doesn't think it's safe because he's working on misinformation. He's probably thinking about all the ridiculous stories he heard when he was a kid/teen and how the rhythm method doesn't really work. He probably doesn't understand how the female body really works. My dh was skeptical. I gave him info to read on how it works and how effective it is to reinforce what I was telling him. My dh trusts it now but he still doesn't quite understand it even though I've been charting for 7 years now. Just a few weeks ago I got frustrated with him because I had to explain all over again when, how and why a thermal shift occurs and what it means.

#80 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 11:12 AM

I'm lucky that DH understands and trusts my chart. However I'm also very lucky in that my charts are always very easy to read... so in some ways i feel like it looks more trustworthy because there appears to be less "iffy" days, you know? My cycles have always been clockwork, so before we started charting officially, we were using it as a 'rhythm method' before we actually dtd but were experimenting 'other' ways. He got eased into it slowly.

I've found for guys seeing it written down often seems to work better. i've taken him through FF and shown him the examples of different charts, and what means what, and show him mine several times a week. He doesn't get the intricacies, but he can see the bigger picture with a temp shift, and he trusts me completely if I say we're ok.

Of course... he also knows that I *hate* condoms and we would dtd a lot less if we had to use them all the time, so that probably helps

In other news... my temp is up again today, but I *feel* like AF is going to start soon, so I'm trying to put thoughts and worries on the back burner. It'll start up again at the end of the day if she hasn't arrived, but for now, i'm confident my body won't let me down!

#81 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
For my DH, I explained the basic science behind it and he said "oh that makes sense". He's seen my chart and knows I try hard to temp at the same time every day. I think he respects the method. If he didn't, he'd definitely insist on a condom every time. I think he also trusts that I don't want a baby right now any more than he does! I have big plans for our summer. I don't want to be puking for the next 4 or 5 months!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#82 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
well, my friends who have a newborn did get pg during - she missed an an-ovulatory cycle.

I have to say I am getting much more comfortable with my charts, I must admit I am still rather amazed! On Easter I knew would be coming in the next day or so, so I actually stuck my diva cup in my purse before heading out of town and lo and behold shows up at Easter brunch. Felt so good to be prepared. I did get a whole bundle of both LH and hCG internet cheapies as I got started here to help me along as I become comfortable interpreting my signs.

Right now I'm just waitin'

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#83 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 PM

DH knows I research like a fiend and didn't want to be pregnant (birth trauma issues among others), so he trusted me on FAM. I wrote an article about FAM for a parenting mag and he proof-read it, so in theory he should know how it works, but I'm not sure he actually does. He's supportive, though - this morning he politely asked what my temperature was, just to make small talk. (It was 36.2 - fascinating stuff.)

#84 of 370 Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 PM

Evening ladies.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2be681
CD1 for me today (proof that triphasic doesn't mean pregnancy TCOYF gave me triphasic a couple of days ago) and I've had a tooth pulled as well as my 4 year old having a bunch of work done. We're very tired and sore. Just wanted to update before I forgot.

#85 of 370 Old 04-09-2010, 02:48 AM

DH and I have gone over everything and he understands my chart (and the other examples I showed him). I should have said CD1 with an obvious tempt shift at O time...I think he thinks I'll just randomly ovulate when we dtd (don't some women do that?). He gets it, understands it, but just thinks my body will do something weird. Lol. It's fine, as neither of us mind condoms at all. In the long run we COULD save half the money for them, though...
#86 of 370 Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Morning ladies, I'm so glad it's Friday!

CD17 today, not much going on. One thing I've noticed this cycle is that my pre-O temperatures are a little bit higher than "normal" (my normal). I started exercising this cycle (started on CD9) I'll be interested to see if they continue that trend through next cycle as well.

#87 of 370 Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I think he thinks I'll just randomly ovulate when we dtd (don't some women do that?)
I guess it depends on what you mean by random ovulation. It's not possible for a woman to just suddenly pop out an egg. It takes time for an egg to mature and certain hormonal changes and steps have to occur for ovulation to happen. It is possible for a woman to not recognize the signs of impending ovulation. Most women don't even know what the signs are. It's also possible in any given cycle for a woman to ovulate earlier than usual or expected. That's why the rhythm method isn't very effective. Every type of bc except abstinence comes with some risk of getting pg. As long as you follow the rules properly and don't dtd unprotected when you have any CF other than your BIP or any other signs that you are becoming fertile.

#88 of 370 Old 04-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Hi all, just dropping in while nothing much is going on here.

Really interesting discussions going on this month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
This past cycle, we abstained during my fertile period and it really was good for our relationship. I was worried that DH would hate it but he said he feels more close to me than ever before.
That's what we find, too -- it's kind of like having a honeymoon once a month (I say that now - just wait until I'm actually fertile, then I change my mind! )

*BETH* mother of DD (8) and DS (6) along with 2 dogs, 2 cats and about 100 chickens
#89 of 370 Old 04-09-2010, 03:57 PM

wow..it is so cool to see so many DHs involved in FAM with their wives, my dh doesn't care about the details he just wants to know when it is safe to do it unprotected
#90 of 370 Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 PM

All right, I'm just annoyed now.

The (Spring?) of my Discontent.

So, I haven't marked down CF yesterday or today, but I can't help thinking of them as watery, MUCH wetter than anything I had around my supposed O date last week. I feel like I'm swimming in my jeans, YKWIM? I didn't temp for a couple of days because life just got outside of my control, but that certainly looks like a shift to me, right? I feel like I can't really call myself safe, because maybe those temps dropped and then went back up? Or can I? I just don't even know what the heck.

We did DTD on CD19, but he pulled out in time to finish with his hand, so I don't think I'm pg, I'm not even really worried about it...just kind of looking forward to this weekend and figuring out if we'll be safe or not.

Thoughts??

Kristine, Mom to Lucy (12/26/07), and Marion (3/16/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page