Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness, May 2010 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 409 Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Jodi - and also to others that are new.

I am WAY behind in updating the front page with new information, so if you are new to the thread I apologize. I will work on getting all the information updated this weekend.

It was pointed out to me that a link on the main post was broken, here is the correct link to the Katie Singer Mothering article. The post has been updated as well (with the correct link).

I'm expecting another crazy weekend at our house, it got warm and suddenly I have more to do than I can take care of. I don't know how that happened.

CD27... Still waiting for O.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#242 of 409 Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 AM

dealic - I hope things work out either way! This cracked me up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealic View Post
It will go down in our family lore as the "go faster" baby.
Slightly disturbing but funny!

jodi, that does look like a very beautiful thermal shift. But at 7 weeks postpartum, I would venture to guess it's more likely just hormones still sorting themselves out. I think, especially if you are EBF, you should get a lot more warning than that before you O.

AFM...well ladies, sometimes bad things happen at good times! DS broke my thermometer yesterday morning, one day after O was confirmed! Nothing like timing! That thermometer had served me well for 5 years but I don't think they make them anymore...so if anyone has recommendations on a brand, I'm open. I know we've discussed this many times before but we can again right?

Happy Friday everyone!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#243 of 409 Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
dealic - I hope things work out either way! This cracked me up:

Slightly disturbing but funny!

jodi, that does look like a very beautiful thermal shift. But at 7 weeks postpartum, I would venture to guess it's more likely just hormones still sorting themselves out. I think, especially if you are EBF, you should get a lot more warning than that before you O.

AFM...well ladies, sometimes bad things happen at good times! DS broke my thermometer yesterday morning, one day after O was confirmed! Nothing like timing! That thermometer had served me well for 5 years but I don't think they make them anymore...so if anyone has recommendations on a brand, I'm open. I know we've discussed this many times before but we can again right?

Happy Friday everyone!
I have the BD Basal Thermometer. Here's a link to it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/BD-524560-Digi...4453095&sr=8-2

It only holds 1 temp but since my last one from Target kicked the bucket (it held the last 5 temps) and they don't make that kind anymore, this is what I've got. It beeps while it is taking your temp which is nice and it has a back-lit screen.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#244 of 409 Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I have the BD Basal Thermometer. Here's a link to it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/BD-524560-Digi...4453095&sr=8-2

It only holds 1 temp but since my last one from Target kicked the bucket (it held the last 5 temps) and they don't make that kind anymore, this is what I've got. It beeps while it is taking your temp which is nice and it has a back-lit screen.
I think maybe that's the same one I had - the one from Target. It held 5 temps too.

#245 of 409 Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I have this one too, I didn't know there were ones that could hold up to 5 temps. That would be fantastic! Regardless, this is the one I've been using since I started charting in 2005. It's held up pretty well so far.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

#246 of 409 Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Jodi ~ Those temps do indicate a thermal shift but I'm with Mel on that. It seems way early for PP O, although it's certainly not impossible. You had virtually no fertile CF, though, which leans me more toward no O. I didn't use FAM that early PP. We relied on LAM until my first PPAF showed up, which was around 11-12 months PP both times.

I've always used the BD Basal Thermometer. I like that it beeps while working and has a back-lit screen so I can see my temp without having to turn the light on. I've never needed to have more than one temp stored but I'm really good about putting my temps in my chart first thing every day. The one complaint I would have is that once I recall that saved temp it seems to get erased. I thought it was supposed to save it but I guess not. I've tried a few others as back-ups but I didn't like them. Mostly, it really bothered me that they didn't beep while taking my temp because I always worried that meant it wasn't working.

Someone asked about cramps around O a while back. I get that sometimes. I woke up this morning with cramps. I'm on cd16 with 2 days of EWCF so far. My CP is only MMM so I don't think O is imminent but it may be coming soon.

I've run into one of the things I do NOT like about the Ovusoft s/w. First, you can't leave the regular temp time open. You have to choose something. I have 7:20 put in for now because that's what it's been the last few cycles. Yesterday, I didn't take my temp until 10 something but I wanted to leave the temp in as is because I don't know if that will become my regular temp time. We've been getting up late around here. Anyway, the s/w allowed me to not adjust the temp and not have it marked as disturbed. However, this morning when I put in my temp that was taken at 6:45, the s/w won't let me put it in undisturbed. I can't get rid of the red X over it without adjusting it, which I don't want to do at this point. Just annoying.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#247 of 409 Old 05-21-2010, 01:02 PM

I am just excited as I have made sure to take my temp close to the same time every day this cycle and my chart looks SO much better! It is not all over the place and I just feel totally successful.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2cce28

Thanks for letting me share.
#248 of 409 Old 05-21-2010, 01:30 PM

Thanks ladies! I agree that there is a good chance the thermal shift is just my hormones doing their thing. I just started temping so I could get used to it and see what normal temperatures are for me and learn more about my body before I have to chart for real. I am finding it a lot easier than I thought it would be. Although my dh shakes his head when he sees me taking my temp. Jodi is up to her crazy things again. Oh well, he will follow along as he does whatever I think is best. I did have several months of warning with cm with Carter before AF arrived. I noticed it even though I was not charting and I seem to remember it seeming cyclical especially as it got close. That being said, I seem to be crampy the last day or so as if AF is thinking of rearing her head. I guess time will tell. I sure hope I get more time as I am used to having 11 months postpartum. I'm sure I will learn a lot the next while from you ladies.

I have that BD thermometer as well. I have another BD one from way back when too but it doesn't beep or have the back light. I got a new one that is in farenheit since most of the instructions use that measure and I thought it might be easier to see the shift with that. The only thing is I don't really understand farenheit temperatures as I am accustomed to celcius. I temped for a few days with both to see how they compare and found that I really like having the beeping, especially when temping in the dark, well other than everyone in the room knows what I am up to, lol.

Jodi

Mom to three great boys Michael (Sept/01), Carter (Nov/05) and Reid (March/10).

#249 of 409 Old 05-21-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriansmummy View Post
I am just excited as I have made sure to take my temp close to the same time every day this cycle and my chart looks SO much better! It is not all over the place and I just feel totally successful.

Looks good. Also looks like possible thermal shift starting today.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#250 of 409 Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Looks good. Also looks like possible thermal shift starting today.
Yup that is what it looks like to me too.
#251 of 409 Old 05-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Ooooooook - so, I did feel like I was O'ing the other day. However, I do not agree with these crosshairs? I guess there is just one outlying temp.
I dunno - what do you girls think?

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/26af7e

I am thinking I am definitely waiting for a few more temps!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#252 of 409 Old 05-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post
Ooooooook - so, I did feel like I was O'ing the other day. However, I do not agree with these crosshairs? I guess there is just one outlying temp.
I dunno - what do you girls think?

I am thinking I am definitely waiting for a few more temps!
Using the ROT, it looks ok to me. It meets both FAM and NFP rules for a thermal shift.l I might wait for one more high temp and day of CF dry up since you had watery CF on cd40.

#253 of 409 Old 05-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Using the ROT, it looks ok to me. It meets both FAM and NFP rules for a thermal shift.l I might wait for one more high temp and day of CF dry up since you had watery CF on cd40.
Thanks MW - I guess I am just soo used to my huge temp shifts

So, what is up with the rule of thumb? Is it just a judgement call at that point?
Secondly - that one month that it looked like I had a possible slow rise but it ended up that it was an annovulatory cycle kinda freaked me out

So - I am definitely waiting until tomorrow's temp because, after 40 some odd days what is another one! but I am just wondering if I HAVE to wait for one more to be safe and follow all the rules?

Just kinda wondering how these charts go!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#254 of 409 Old 05-22-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
So, what is up with the rule of thumb? Is it just a judgement call at that point?
Basically, you just put your thumb above the major grouping of lower temps. Any outlying temps that are covered by your thumb can be disregarded. So, if I put my thumb on your chart above your temps from cd31-39, it blocks out those two much higher temps and those temps can be ignored. I'm very comfortable ignoring those two temps because they are so much higher than the rest. I'm a lot less comfortable ignoring a temp if it's only 0.1-0.2 degree above the rest in the group.

Quote:
Secondly - that one month that it looked like I had a possible slow rise but it ended up that it was an annovulatory cycle kinda freaked me out
This chart doesn't look like a slow rise to me. The first temp in your thermal shift is 0.2 degree above the highest of the previous 6 and the next two temps are well above that. A slow rise is when the temps rise 0.1 degree a day.

Quote:
but I am just wondering if I HAVE to wait for one more to be safe and follow all the rules?
I wouldn't wait. I'd be very confident that those temps confirmed O. It depends on how careful you want to be. I think for CTA purposes (I still don't have my book to look it up), you are supposed to wait for at least 3 consecutive higher temps AND 4 days of CF dry up after your peak. Technically, your last watery day would be your peak day so you don't have the 4 days of CF dry up. However, even if you didn't O until cd40, the egg would be dead by now.

#255 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 01:59 AM

Thanks MW!

This is why I completely heart this thread Now that I think about it - my EXTREME O pain was on Wednesday, which is my O day by the temps as well.

It is just weird how much lower my coverline/temps are this cycle........is that normal or no? usually by the second or third temp (and I mean, DPO temp) I am definitely in the 98's.

So, anyways, thanks again for all the help!

P.S.andbytheway - this is why I kind of like charting on FF and posting here. Honestly, I would not have even considered the POSSIBILITY of having already O'd with the temps I have gotten the last few days (even though I guess it is a nice, legit temp shift). So with FF giving me crosshairs I was like, "what???" and then posted here.

SAYING THAT - FF gave me crosshairs like 30 days ago so if you are going to learn to chart using FF you NEED to post your chart for the awesome ladies here to look at.

PLUS - you need to make sure the people who are hanging out here know what they are talking about.......I'm looking at you MW, AnnieA and MM

#256 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
CD1 again today. 12-day LP this time (in fact, thinking this was day 13, I was beginning to get worried - last cycle my LP was only 10 days!).

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#257 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 10:26 AM

annie, I'm going to have to disagree with MW on this one. True, you are probably safe, but I think in order to follow the rules you really should wait for one more high temp and CF dry-up day. I'd put your CL at 97.3 and your O day CD 40. I wouldn't be comfortable discarding both of those temps especially since most of your temps this cycle seem to be in that range.

Honestly, if it was me though, I would probably cheat slightly and not be bothered by it. Just saying...technically I really think one more day would confirm.

#258 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 11:17 AM

OK Mamas, it's my first month charting. I'm off the pill (POP) since it completely took my libido. I felt so out of touch with my body and felt sorry for my husband to beg me for some action LOL.

so far the charting has been going very good, very textbook. I Oed on CD 17, I'm now 27DPO and my temp is still up at 97.9F.

Before I had kids my cycles were VERY predictable down to the time AF would start. I'm hoping to get back there and reconnect with my body a bit more.

joy.gif
#259 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Honestly, if it was me though, I would probably cheat slightly and not be bothered by it. Just saying...technically I really think one more day would confirm.
You're not really disagreeing with me that much. I did say to follow the rules exactly, she probably should wait for one more day.

Quote:
annie, I'm going to have to disagree with MW on this one. True, you are probably safe, but I think in order to follow the rules you really should wait for one more high temp and CF dry-up day. I'd put your CL at 97.3 and your O day CD 40. I wouldn't be comfortable discarding both of those temps especially since most of your temps this cycle seem to be in that range.
You only need to take the immediate previous 6 temps at any given time into account in determining the CL. Any temps you have before that can be ignored. That means that the temps preceding cd34 of annie's cycle are of no consequence in regard to the temps used for determining O around cd39 or 40. I did take the cd32 temp into account in order to get a full 6 temps since I used the ROT to ignore the temps on cds 33 and 36.

On moving the CL and O day, if you put it where you say, you are still ignoring those two outlying temps. If so, then it doesn't make sense according to the rules of FAM to put the CL and O day where you say because the cd40 temp clearly indicates the beginning of the thermal shift, 0.2 degree above the highest of the previous 6 temps. If you really don't feel comfortable ignoring both of those high temps, then you need to put the CL at 97.6, in which case she's not safe yet at all.

annie ~ I think it probably is very normal for your CL vary. No one's temps are set to a certain range every cycle even if they are similar most cycles. That's why it is important to interpret each individual cycle separately.

#260 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You only need to take the immediate previous 6 temps at any given time into account in determining the CL. Any temps you have before that can be ignored.
This is true, but I get a little suspicious when a coverline goes below most of the temps in the cycle, you know? This is in no rule book or anything, but I feel like you need some reason to discard more than maybe one temp. I don't like just discarding more than one temp just because they're above where you want to draw your coverline. Especially when, like I said, they seem normal for the cycle. It's not like they are truly outliers.

Quote:
On moving the CL and O day, if you put it where you say, you are still ignoring those two outlying temps. If so, then it doesn't make sense according to the rules of FAM to put the CL and O day where you say because the cd40 temp clearly indicates the beginning of the thermal shift, 0.2 degree above the highest of the previous 6 temps. If you really don't feel comfortable ignoring both of those high temps, then you need to put the CL at 97.6, in which case she's not safe yet at all.
I'm ignoring one.

I don't think it really matters that much in this case, though.

#261 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:

I got my first solid lines on FF! Just had to share.

I am wondering. Does anyone else have as much days of EW CM? I had 6 days of EW! I know everyone is different, but since I have been really charting it this month I was surprised it was that many days.
#262 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
This is true, but I get a little suspicious when a coverline goes below most of the temps in the cycle, you know? This is in no rule book or anything, but I feel like you need some reason to discard more than maybe one temp.
When my cycles are really long, my temps usually start out very erratic with many of them being relatively high. About a week or so before my temps drop and level off before rising again to indicate O. If I went back and looked at all my temps for a cycle like that, I'd never be able to confirm O. As my hormones settle and get balanced and start doing what they are supposed to, my temps become less erratic.

Quote:
I don't like just discarding more than one temp just because they're above where you want to draw your coverline. Especially when, like I said, they seem normal for the cycle. It's not like they are truly outliers.
They are outliers for the week of temps before O. Really, that's all that matters. It would be a different story if the temps were still going up and down but there was a clear shift to lower, more stabilized temps. Using the ROT is not the same as discarding temps just because they are over where you want to draw the CL. I don't look at a chart and say, "Hmmm...I think I want to put my CL at 97.2 so I'll just ignore any temps above that before such-and-such a day." It's a way to visualize a pattern and shift. I think it's the same idea as when shaving temps for NFP, although I'm not clear on the specific rules for shaving temps. I don't feel comfortable ignoring temps that are only slightly above the rest, like 0.1-0.2 degree. But when 1 or 2 temps are way above the rest, like 0.4+ degree, I think it's pretty safe to use the ROT with them.

I'm ignoring one.

I don't think it really matters that much in this case, though.[/QUOTE]

#263 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I am wondering. Does anyone else have as much days of EW CM? I had 6 days of EW! I know everyone is different, but since I have been really charting it this month I was surprised it was that many days.
Looks good. But, since you are new to charting, it's probably a good idea to wait for at least 4 days of CF dry up before considering yourself safe, especially since you've had very fertile CF after your O day.

I think a week of ewcf is ok. I sometimes get 2-3 weeks of it but I have PCOS so I might have too much estrogen. That's why I don't usually bother even starting to temp until I start to get ewcf. I'm relatively confident it will be at least a week before I O. I'm not suggesting you do that, especially since you are new. My dh hasn't been home for months so there's no hanky panky going on. I can make all the mistakes I want.

#264 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 02:19 PM

Well, I got a temp drop today and my period. No oops after all. I am quite relieved, even though I had a twinge of regret over the lost possibility of a pregnancy. Even a few months puts us in a much better financial position so its for the best. I am thinking we will be abstaining during my fertile period for a while just to make sure there is not a chance for another possible oops.
#265 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 03:14 PM

Thanks for all the help ladies! My temp today was way up, in the normal post O range for me.

I do believe I did O late on CD39. I was having vicious cramps to the point I actually had to take some pain med's to be able to move around. It's kind of funny though because on CD40 and 41 my mucus dried up and my temps didn't go up (or so I thought) I was getting really mad at my body

I love temping!!!

Although I DO think some women can CTA very effectively just following mucus, I think for me with my CRAZY variance in cycle lengths I would never be confident that I was DEFINITELY in my LP without the temps to back me up.

Oh yeah, here's my chart:

#266 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:

I sometimes have that many days of EW. I don't think you want to see weeks of it, but there can be a lot of variation.

annie, I would say you are a-ok now. As regards the ROT, I guess since there are no rules, each person has to be comfortable discarding their own temps. Personally, unless I knew there was a reason for those two higher temps I would not feel comfortable discarding more than one, but obviously MW feels differently. And again, I'm not saying you have to look at the whole cycle, I'm just saying, most of the temps were above that coverline, only 1 or 2 below at a time, the entire cycle. Even in the days leading up to the shift, there were 2 below, then 1 above, then 2 below, then 1 above, then 3 below, then the shift. Kinda still erratic. Where if you wait one more day to draw the coverline, it's more the middle of all the temps overall, and you get 2 below, 1 above, FOUR below right before the shift, which would make me feel a lot safer.

Maybe the TAoNFP people can jump in here with shaving rules. I know I've read that part of the book but my copy is packed and I can't remember the details.

#267 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 04:42 PM

Oh, and dealic, yay and for no oops.

#268 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

dealic: what Mel said... Yay for no oops, and as well.

CD 29, temp drop today, maybe this means that O is near?? CM is back to sticky and cervix feels closed. I don't know how you ladies do this every cycle (those with long, irregular cycles). Then again, this makes me very glad I was charting in the first place, because my period will not be arriving around CD 31-35 as "usual".

#269 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
I don't know how you ladies do this every cycle (those with long, irregular cycles). Then again, this makes me very glad I was charting in the first place, because my period will not be arriving around CD 31-35 as "usual".
I am so hearing you lyterae -- I'm on CD 23 and waiting waiting waiting.
Now we have the plauge as well, so I won't be able to trust my temps. Last night I was up most of the night between the sick DH and DD. But hey, staying up until 3 am seemed to give me that temp shift I've been looking for
Just kidding, I'll discard it

On hypothyroid -- I've kind of wondered about that before, but since it doesn't seem to be causing too much trouble I hadn't gotten checked (although I do lose patches of hair sometimes. . . and DH is reminding me that "irritibility" is another symptom)

*BETH* My FF Chart: 28389c
a no-vax, organic, Catholic mother of DD (5) and DS (2)flowersforyou.gif

#270 of 409 Old 05-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Holy temp spike, Beth!

With my long and irregular cycles, I'd go crazy wondering what was going on every cycle if I didn't chart. I'd probably waste so much money on hpts my dh would have to take away all my cards and money. It can get frustrating when it seems to drag on with no thermal shift but at least I eventually know when to expect rather than always wondering if I could be pg.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page