Copper IUD pregnancy? and false negative - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-30-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I really need some advice here. My period is 3 days late, it usually comes every 17 days but today is day 19 and no sign of period. I have had the usual backaches and cramping began last week with a little spotting but then it stopped. My breasts feel tender too. I took a cheap 1 dollar pregnancy test and it showed negative.

Do you think I am pregnant? I have had the Paraguard IUD for almost a year. I would hate to think I am pregnant and the consequences of that.

Is it true that you might have a ecopotic pregnancy with IUD and it usually shows negative on pregnancy tests?

I hope I am just having a late menses b/c of stress and worrying. Can't have another baby right now.

Thanks
#2 of 16 Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'd say that most likely you're just having a weird cycle - they happen sometimes. If you still don't have your period in a few days, I would say retest, and if you continue to worry, this is totally worth a call to and a visit with your doctor.
#3 of 16 Old 04-30-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

I hope so, because my period is 3 days late and I only did one test which showed negative. I am having increased saliva which they say is a symptom of pregnancy but don't know if that is true.

My cervic is low and firm and i can feel the strings...does this mean my AF is coming soon or what could it mean. I also saw some clearish discharge a few days ago but for the past 2 days it has been nothing but dry.

Has anyone experienced being preggo with a IUD? What were your options, are most IUD pregnancies ectopic pregnancies, if so what usually happens and does it give a negative reading on urine tests?>
#4 of 16 Old 05-01-2010, 12:33 AM

I have never had a pregnancy with a IUD, but I have the paragard and I have noticed that over time after the first yr my cycle has changed. It used to be every month and very heavy now it is every 5 wks and very light, sometimes only spotting. I did go into the OB to make sure everything was fine and it is.

I do notice some times my CM is dry before a period and sometimes it is still like the ovulation CM still when my period comes.

I don't know anything about a etopic not showing on a test as I have never been through that, but I say it wouldn't hurt to get peace of mind with your dr. I'm sure everything is fine.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 16 Old 05-01-2010, 01:45 AM

I did get pregnant with the copper IUD and I didn't even realize it until I was miscarrying. If you are concerned I would get it checked out. I did get + pregnancy tests but I highly doubt mine was ever ectopic.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#6 of 16 Old 05-01-2010, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

No sign of AF yet, but today i noticed a clear pinkish fluid that came...and then after a few hours I had nothing but dryness. I didn't know after the first year of having an IUD, you can go on for weeks without menses. I am relieved to know that. Perhaps, I am not preggo, just my AF is going through those changes.

Also, I did show - on my pregnancy test. I will go on Monday to make sure everything is okay. If the strings are a little longer than usual when you are getting AF is that normal?

Also, I have increased saliva which makes me worry more about being preggo and that is one of the symptoms of being pregnant.

I want to take another pregnancy test and see if everyhing is okay but i was a little relieved when I noticed a pinkish light fluid today. I just hope that my body is going through another change and not a pregnancy change.
#7 of 16 Old 05-11-2010, 03:47 PM

Hi Ummy,

I was doing a search for pregnancy with IUD on the boards and your post came up. I too have a copper T and have had it for 6 years with no problems, thank God. I have a 25 day cycle usually and have breast tenderness and bloat like clockwork before my period. This month nothing. Last month I got it on the 5th which made me think I would get in on the 3rd or so. I had a bit of cramps and then nothing till now. I have had some days of being really tired but its not lasting like when your pregnant. ( I've had 4 kids so I can recall those early days and its not like that at all) Anyhow give us an update. I may go and get a PG test today and see what comes up. Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention I started a new exercise routine last month which I have read can cause your menses to act up (vigorous exercise) I was thinking that may be it.

M
#8 of 16 Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 PM

I got pregnant on the copper IUD. I also had some pink discharge and assumed my period would start...but no. Pregnant. With twins. I had the IUD removed at 6 or 7 weeks gestation (can't remember), and everything was fine. (FWIW, the IUD was two years old and had just been checked by my OB two weeks prior to conception.)

I would always say, if you find yourself pregnant and with an IUD, get an ultrasound to check for an ectopic pregnancy...and monitor yourself for the signs of ectopic VERY closely.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#9 of 16 Old 05-23-2010, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

I did end up getting my AF last month, 4 days late but it finally arrived. I think stress and lack of sleep caused my AF to really mess up. I find it hard for people to really get pregnant if they have an IUD unless their IUD has shifted, because even if the egg gets fertilized, implantation is highly impossible. So those of you who did get pregnant with an IUD, what were the causes? Was the IUD fixed and in place? You never know with IUDS or any form of BC, nothing is 100 % effective.

Thanks for your responses
#10 of 16 Old 05-23-2010, 03:27 AM

I got pregnant with a Paragard in and had it removed at about six weeks along, the same day I realized I was pregnant. The baby was born just fine. Apparently the IUD had displaced a little, but not enough for me to notice, just enough so that he could implant really well. I guess it was meant to be! I've read that even with a displaced IUD you don't usually get an embryo to implant in the first place -- the copper usually will weaken sperm and they don't get to the egg.

I know ectopic pregnancy is a greater risk with IUDs, but it didn't happen to me, fortunately. Good luck! Glad you dodged the bullet this month.

Nealy
mama to T (7), L (4), and O (17 months)
#11 of 16 Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post

I got pregnant on the copper IUD. I also had some pink discharge and assumed my period would start...but no. Pregnant. With twins. I had the IUD removed at 6 or 7 weeks gestation (can't remember), and everything was fine. (FWIW, the IUD was two years old and had just been checked by my OB two weeks prior to conception.)

I would always say, if you find yourself pregnant and with an IUD, get an ultrasound to check for an ectopic pregnancy...and monitor yourself for the signs of ectopic VERY closely.

Hello RedOakMomma
I'm just wondering when you found out you were pregnant did you do a take an at home test?
I'm concerned I may be having issues with my iud, I've never been pregnant or anything before, but I'm having weird changes from my iud, like pink and white discharge, major cramping during my period. My period tends to be on time all the time. I just haven't seen much online about this sort of thing. I'm thinking about buying a pregnancy test just for piece of mind. Can't get into the doctors till next tuesday.

#12 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 AM

i was just woundering what are signs of an ectopic pregnancy with an iud.. i ended up in the hospital the other day the doctors didnt throw me under an ultrasound to see if something was wrong they injected me with an anti flammatory nd said come back tomorrow if its the same pain.. i havent gotten the pain like someone was stabbing me in my cervix since it happened on monday. but i have been getting pressure pain, nd i cant even run around do dishes and cook dinner at the same time without getting pain in my abdominal area. i have nt gotten any bleeding but last month i bleed for two weeks straight nd it was a spotting. im starting to get scared and really worried and i need advice since my family doctor is really helping. i do have an ultrasound set for the 14th and i have already been waiting a month for the ultrasound.... i do know that some people bleed with ectopic pregnancies and some people dont...it would be great if someone can give me some advice, cause the hospital and the clinics here in this town are pathetic and obviously dont care about someones well being and health

#13 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 AM

usually ectopic pregnancies show up faster on tests i thought.

they also have pain on one side and it usually gets stronger and stronger and does not go away. Some people bleed some don't.

#14 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 11:46 AM

see ya the pain is on my left side all the time. i have taken a urine pregnancy test(twice) it said negative,but a urine test has never worked for me yet. i have a 3 year old son and when i was pregnant with him my urine test always came negative it took blood work to be able to tell i was pregnant. if i  dont do anything nd just relax all day i just have pressure down there but as soon as i try to do movement i get a pain. thats why its worrying me. and i know my family is bad for ectopic pregnancys as it is. but my mom and my sister had different reactions on how there ectopic pregnancy reacted. the pain is getting stronger and stronger day buy day. i cant even cross my legs as a woman cause its causeing pressure. i dont enjoy sitting everywhere like a man lol. i have been getting really bad cold and hot sweats.

#15 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 AM

I would def go in and have it checked out asap if you have a history of negative tests and constant pain. It could be normal round ligament pain and if could be an ovarian cyst. But best not to risk it.

When you go it tell them what you need. " I have a weird pain on my left side and due to my history of negative pregnancy tests and family history of ectopic pregnancy I would like a blood test and an ultrasound to rule out or confirm either."

That way no know it all doctor can tell you you dont need a test.

#16 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 PM

see i did that at first when i had the spotting and the doctors tried to say i was crazy and that its physically inpossible to get pregnant with and iud inserted. thats why i have been waiting till i keel over in pain to the point of my man carring me again. cause the hospital hear wont do anything unless your in pain. its radiculous. and  all other hospitals are 2-3 hours away from me and i dont drive. and i cant go in freaking out about it cause theyll remove me from the hospital. even when i ended up in there on monday the hopital doctor told me its impossible to get pregnant. like i would rather deal with having another 12hr labour without drugs again rather then put up with this pain thats coming back worse and worse every day. and i dont want the hospital to just inject me with something again and send me on my way. they seem to be good at that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page