Another BC question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

My OB brought up the subject of contraception at my last visit, and I had to admit that I didn't really have a plan. She recommended Mirena, gave me a script, told me to think about it, and said I could have it filled before my 6 or 10 week PP visit and she could insert it. She also said that I could go back to my regular BCP and that the estrogen would not be likely to affect my milk supply. This is contrary to what I have read, so I decided to look into it.

I've read both good and bad things about pretty much every form of BC - IUD, mini-pill, Nuvaring, etc. Here are my two main concerns: 1) I plan on nursing for at least 24 months and I do not want to risk messing up my supply, and 2) I am overweight and I don't want any hormonal BC to be a roadblock in losing weight. I have managed to get through 37 weeks or pregnancy without gaining weight (though I eat healthily and heartily), and I want to use this as a head start to get healthy for my child. I'm not a little bit overweight - I am at a very unhealthy weight and I want to be able to keep up with my daughter.

At this point, I am considering charting and using condoms, though I tend to get more frequent yeast infections while using them. Can anyone who has dealt with similar issues recommend something or share experiences? Thanks in advance!

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7swans View Post
Hi all,

My OB brought up the subject of contraception at my last visit, and I had to admit that I didn't really have a plan. She recommended Mirena, gave me a script, told me to think about it, and said I could have it filled before my 6 or 10 week PP visit and she could insert it. She also said that I could go back to my regular BCP and that the estrogen would not be likely to affect my milk supply. This is contrary to what I have read, so I decided to look into it.

I've read both good and bad things about pretty much every form of BC - IUD, mini-pill, Nuvaring, etc. Here are my two main concerns: 1) I plan on nursing for at least 24 months and I do not want to risk messing up my supply, and 2) I am overweight and I don't want any hormonal BC to be a roadblock in losing weight. I have managed to get through 37 weeks or pregnancy without gaining weight (though I eat healthily and heartily), and I want to use this as a head start to get healthy for my child. I'm not a little bit overweight - I am at a very unhealthy weight and I want to be able to keep up with my daughter.

At this point, I am considering charting and using condoms, though I tend to get more frequent yeast infections while using them. Can anyone who has dealt with similar issues recommend something or share experiences? Thanks in advance!
What about the non-hormonal IUD (Paraguard)? Shouldn't affect nursing at all, or weight.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 PM

It's definitely true that every kind of birth control out there has pluses and minuses.
From what I've heard, if someone is sensitive to hormonal BC, they'll be sensitive to Mirena. I really try to stay away from hormonal BC for a lot of reasons, the most compelling one being that it utterly destroys my libido.
If you did an IUD, you could try sticking with just a copper one. That's what I have, and it's been great. No cramping; slightly heavier bleeding the first few months, though now after about six months its pretty much back to normal. Some woman have a really bad time with cramping and bleeding with the copper IUD, others don't. You sort of just have to try it out to know how you'll respond.
Some other options could be:
--charting + diaphragm + spermicide (+ withdraw during peak fertility)
--charting + condoms (+ withdraw during peak fertility)
--charting + withdrawal during non fertile times, plus condoms during peak fertility

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

The copper IUD might not be a bad idea. I worry that it might cause yeast infections in addition to heavy cramping, etc. - but I suppose that's something that I would have to try out and see how it affects me. I'll have to call my insurance and find out what my co-pay would be, and if it's not too much I may try it out.

Spermicide is a no-go because of my sensitivities. It's so bad that so far, I have found one type of lube that doesn't bother me.

I'll discuss withdrawal with my partner (in combination with other methods, of course), but I'm pretty sure we would be bad at following through on that.

I will also add that I took Yasmin for years without any noticeable issues (except, y'know, getting pregnant). I seemed to lose and gain weight on it as I normally would, though I've been on HBC for the better part of the last 7 years, so who knows really?

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****
Old 05-03-2010, 04:11 PM

Good luck finding a method that works for you and your partner. I still think that if guys were responsible for birth control, there would be a perfect method out there.
I've heard that a lot of women notice a really big increase in their libido a month or two after going off hormonal birth control.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:02 PM

I have had paragard for almost 2 yrs and I do like it. I have a 22m nursling and have never had a issue with supply (it doesn't effect supply). I do have mid cycle cramping but only for a day and it is intermittent like 4 cramps a that day. In the beginning my periods were really heavy I won't lie. But now my periods are very light and sometimes only spotting.

I was really nervous to get it, inserting it didn't hurt, a tiny pinch and mild cramping for a day or so. But I am glad I got it put in.

I wouldn't have a mirena because of things I have read.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

User Tag List