Advice for painful periods? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Background:
My periods have always been pretty painful. My most common symptoms are terrible cramps that radiate out to my thighs and back, nausea, and bowel issues. I've been on HBC for roughly the last 8 years. While not on BC I could make my symptoms better by paying attention to my cycle and taking ibuprofen the day before I was supposed to start. If that didn't work I could almost always take an ibuprofen and lay down with a hot water bottle for a nap and wake up and be fine - no more cramps that cycle.

Current Info:
My husband is currently deployed and we are planning to begin TTC when he returns so I stopped taking my BC in April. This is my first cycle without BC and wow, I'd forgotten how miserable these cramps and sickness makes me feel. None of my usual tricks are working and I'm beginning to think about going back to BC if it'll make me feel better.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this?

TIA
Schatzy
#2 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 01:45 AM

Do you by chance have endometriosis? Your symptoms sound like you might, and docs prescribe hormonal birth control to treat it sometimes which is why you felt better on HBC.

For period cramps, aleve always worked really really well for me, ibuprofen didn't touch it, but other than that, not sure!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#3 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

I've never been diagnosed with endometriosis but I do suspect that I might have it.
#4 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 02:18 AM

What do you use? I can't use tampons at all and even though pads were better, I found any disposable products make me writhe in pain. I started making my own cloth pads and was amazed at the difference. No cramps, no pain, less flow, and cut my period almost in half. I was amazed. I started selling my pads and I love it when my customers come to me and tell me what a difference my product made in their period.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#5 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 02:20 AM

If you do suspect it, you might want to consult an OB before TTC - endo can sometimes hurt your chances of TTC but there are ways to treat it. I would hate for you to be in our position of TTC for a year, kwim? I feel for you on the period cramps though. Fwiw, I had bad cramps but only on the first day of my cycle for the first 6-8 hours - after I had DD, I haven't had any! My mom had the same thing happen, something about the cervix getting loosened up during birth helps when it has to open up for AF each cycle after that or something.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#6 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
What do you use? I can't use tampons at all and even though pads were better, I found any disposable products make me writhe in pain. I started making my own cloth pads and was amazed at the difference. No cramps, no pain, less flow, and cut my period almost in half. I was amazed. I started selling my pads and I love it when my customers come to me and tell me what a difference my product made in their period.
I was going to suggest this as well - try not using disposable menstrual products if you aren't already. I switched from tampons and sposie pantyliners to a DivaCup and cloth liners and I was amazed that my cramps and also amount of menstrual flow decreased noticeably (still lasts the same length of time for me though). Honestly I'd read about it before but didn't believe it until it happened to me.
#7 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
Do you by chance have endometriosis? Your symptoms sound like you might, and docs prescribe hormonal birth control to treat it sometimes which is why you felt better on HBC.

For period cramps, aleve always worked really really well for me, ibuprofen didn't touch it, but other than that, not sure!
That. My periods were horrible when I wasn't taking bc. I'm back on it now for good and the cramps are bearable at least now. Midol is the only thing that helped me, ibuprofen didn't even touch them.

I would see a doc though if you suspect you have endo. It can make ttc much more difficult.
#8 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I would also suggest getting tested for endometriosis or fibroids. My fibroids were so painful I sometimes passed out. Good luck, OP!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#9 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Come vote in my poll and join my thread about menstrual cramps!
#10 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 05:54 PM

I do have the same problem, but the only painful part I experience is my abdomen thighs. And I would also have fever during my menstruation period. Problem is I am allergic to any type of pain killers especially ibuprofen so I don't know what to take. I would usually just drink coke and sleep.

Is there something wrong with me or it's just plain dysmenorrhea?
#11 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 PM

Schatzy: I had all of your symptoms plus migraines.... I recently started eating all natural and I cannot believe the difference. Apparently my body is happier with no white carbs, no additives, preservatives, etc. This month I only had to take a pain killer once! I used to go through a small bottle of Canadian Tylenol w/coedine every month. AF used to be 6-8 days, with 4-5 of those very very heavy and this month has been light to medium and it's taperig off after 3 days. I'm also exercising more, and therefore sleeping better. I've just this week begun taking a multivitamin and I think that's helping too.

I would definitely suggest trying nutrition to help. If you're getting any artificial hormones or hormone spikes from food or drinks then that could be affecting how your body functions more than you could imagine. That's pretty much the same with what these ladies are saying about hygiene products: the natural ones don't have any chemicals that could mess things up 'down there'.

Hope it helps....
-MQ

SAH Princess, happily married to my adorable Nerf Herder

brokenheart.gif 2009 Expecting my rainbow1284.gif in November 2013

#12 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

I use the diva cup and occasionally some disposable pads (rarely, like less than 1 a cycle). I thought that the diva cup might be part of the problem so I did use pads this cycle.

My diet is pretty good (though, as with most everyone, it could be better). I have started taking a natural multivitamin along with a fish and flax seed supplement.

I'll keep all your suggestions in mind. I'm hoping that it's just my body getting back into the swing of things without the extra BC hormones.
#13 of 15 Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 PM

You can find some info on fibroids and pregnancy overthere..

Uterine Fibroids and Pregnancy

-Annie
#14 of 15 Old 06-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Have always had them since starting my period at age 14 ...Just like you describe ...sometimes i would throw up and get cramps so bad ...i was told looks like i'm going into labor when i have them and pain killers do not work for me ....Started taking hot ginger tea 1 week before AF and through out my af days and a hot waterbottle helped me tremendously
#15 of 15 Old 06-11-2010, 01:05 PM

How about combining painkillers? You can combine paracetamol and ibuprofen safely. I used that after my c-section and it did help a lot.

I just recently started having very painful AFs (after I had my third baby) and will have all kinds of pelvic muscle cramps - especially when I go to the toilet. I have a hard time keeping a straight face when these hit in public and occationally it's so bad I can hardly walk. Heat does help a bit and I take traditional painkillers like paracetamol and that helps a bit too.
I use both tampons, ordinary disposable pads and cloth pads, and honestly I dont feel any difference from one to the other.
I wonder if a glass of wine will help a bit as it relaxes muscles. Also I second those saying its a good idea to talk with your doc about it. First to (hopefully) rule out something mroe serious like endo and second you can ask if he can prescribe a stronger type of painkiller or maybe muscle relaxation-drug of sorts.

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page