what age are women no longer able to conceive naturally? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 11-17-2012, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I continued to have regular full periods until the age of 58. At the age of 54, I thought I was going through menopause because my periods stopped. My breasts became very tender. Two months later I started bleeding heavily and was in terrible pain. I went to the ER. The staff, my husband and I were amazed to learn that I was miscarrying. We already had seven grown children, ages 17 - 34! They gave me all the tests, hormone counts, etc. I had definitely become pregnant the natural way at age 54. My husband was 56. Although I would not actively seek to have another child that late in life, it was still sad ending to a shocking event.  My OB-GYN doctor uses my story daily in his office when speaking with peri-menopausal women who think they no longer need to use contraceptives. But the flip side of that is, there is hope for women past 40 who desire to have children.

#32 of 33 Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 PM

I continued to have regular full periods until the age of 58. At the age of 54, I thought I was going through menopause because my periods stopped. My breasts became very tender. Two months later I started bleeding heavily and was in terrible pain. I went to the ER. The staff, my husband and I were amazed to learn that I was miscarrying. We already had seven grown children, ages 17 - 34! They gave me all the tests, hormone counts, etc. I had definitely become pregnant the natural way at age 54. My husband was 56. Although I would not actively seek to have another child that late in life, it was still sad ending to a shocking event.  My OB-GYN doctor uses my story daily in his office when speaking with peri-menopausal women who think they no longer need to use contraceptives. But the flip side of that is, there is hope for women past 40 who desire to have children.

#33 of 33 Old 11-17-2012, 03:38 PM

From what I've heard, the reason our grandmothers or great-grandmothers could easily have a baby in their early 40s was because they had been having babies back to back for 15-20 yrs and that somehow helped fertility? But that if you have your first when you're 40+ you have a much more difficult time. Women on my mom's side go through menopause pretty late (my mom was 60, for example) and don't have issues with having babies later in life. I think the average age of menopause for women in your family is definitely something to consider, but fertility is such an individual thing.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page