Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness, June 2010 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 654 Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
June 2010

Welcome to the June 2010 charting to avoid and fertility awareness thread. We are all at different stages in family planning and our own fertility. Some of us are very ardently Charting to Avoid (CTA); most are CTA but would be thrilled with a BFP; and we even have a few who are not CTA but are also not TTC, and continue to hang out here.

If you did not post in May, you may have been deleted from the list. If you were mistakenly deleted, or you would like to be added/removed, please PM me and let me know. I cannot promise to make changes requested in the thread, but I will try to get to everything. To those who are new, welcome!

You must post in June if you want to be on the July list!

The May 2010 thread can be found here

*Charting/Using FAM/NFP to AVOID*

Who we are:

AlaskanFlower
AnnieA - since 12/07
Annie2186
Baby_Cakes
BarefootScientist - since 08/08 and 12 cycles in '05-'06
bbrandonsmom
Bellabaz
Blueone
Crabbyowl
dealic
doriansmummy
Fresh veggie
InMediaRes
JenineJessica - since 12/07
Jodi5
JonahRoo
Kidzaplenty
K-Mom3
Kcroto42 – CTA since 10/09
Lauren31
lilcrunchymama
MarineWife – CTA for 10 months, now CFS&G
MissE
mom2cash
MovingMomma - CTA since 02/09 plus some time before
MQ
Mummoth
nerdymom
Newbiemama09 - Using FAM for 2+ years
nerdymom
peabean26
Pinkgeek
RaraAvis - CTA since 8/09 plus 13 months before
Readytobedone
Sammerson0814
Sk8ermaiden
Smokering
Smylingeyz
Sunniecooks
theboysmama
Toolip
yippiehippie
youngspiritmom

Graduates

Wholewheatchick - Due in Dec. 2010
OsUvet - Due in Feb. 2011
Echospiritwarrior - Due in Feb. 2011
Lyterae - Due in Feb. 2011
Dex_Millie - Due in Feb. 2011
AnnieA - Due in March 2011

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry day rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak day rule: the last day of fertile mucous is called the peak day (the day before your mucous begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucous appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature shift rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2 degrees F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1 degrees F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books:

Taking

Charge of Your Fertility
, by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility and
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila

Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn

Shannon

Websites:

Ovusoft charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
myfertilitycharts.com free software for ttc or tta
Author Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility website
Mothering Magazine article by Katie Singer
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations:

AF: Aunt Flo, your period
AFM: as for me
BD: baby dancing; bed dancing (i.e. sex)
BFP: positive pregnancy test (big fat positive)
BFN: negative pregnancy test (big fat negative)
BIP: basic infertile pattern
CD: Cycle day
CM: cervical mucous (same as CF)
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
CTA: Charting to Avoid
CTW: Charting to "whatever" (not avoiding, not preventing)
DPO: Days past ovulation
DTD: Do the deed
GIO: get it on
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucous/fluid
LP: Luteal phase - the time from ovulation until your period, average 10-16 days
LTL: low temp level (basically 1/10th below FAM's CL or on the highest of the 6 previous temps)
HTL: high temp level (4/10ths above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#2 of 654 Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 PM

Holy cow! Is it really june???

What is even crazier is that my last cycle started in April

Gotta love having super loooong cycles

Happy June everyone!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#3 of 654 Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 PM

Subbing. I just glanced over the first post and saw that it says I was CTA for 10 months before my dh deployed a year ago. I better go back and count again because I thought we'd only been together for 4 cycles.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#4 of 654 Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 PM

subbing.

MW: 10 months could = 4 cycles.

Annie: My current cycle started April 22nd, and I haven't O'd yet!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#5 of 654 Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Subbing. I just glanced over the first post and saw that it says I was CTA for 10 months before my dh deployed a year ago. I better go back and count again because I thought we'd only been together for 4 cycles.
I can take the info off... I haven't changed/updated any of the info there. Let me know what it should say

CD37, still waiting for "something" to occur, I've noticed this evening that my face is starting to break out. Just in time for all of the important people to be in the office this week...

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

#6 of 654 Old 05-31-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post

Annie: My current cycle started April 22nd, and I haven't O'd yet!
you've got a couple days on me, my current cycle started April 25th (still no O).

#7 of 654 Old 05-31-2010, 11:04 PM

Subbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
CD37, still waiting for "something" to occur, I've noticed this evening that my face is starting to break out. Just in time for all of the important people to be in the office this week...
7dpo. My face is a MESS. I've not broken out like this since college (roughly 10 years ago)!! I'm waiting for either AF or a BFP, and I should know either way by the end of this week. I feel very PMS-y, bloated, weepy, hormonal. Gross. I'm a barrel of fun!
re: not having any safe days prior to O - I thought sticky or crumbly CF *was* considered dry? Really, it's not? I usually have sticky/crumbly CM from the end of AF til about CD6-8, when I have considered it "safe". WDYT?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#8 of 654 Old 05-31-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
you've got a couple days on me, my current cycle started April 25th (still no O).
I didn't realize we're nearly cycle buddies! That's unusual on these long ones!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#9 of 654 Old 05-31-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
re: not having any safe days prior to O - I thought sticky or crumbly CF *was* considered dry? Really, it's not? I usually have sticky/crumbly CM from the end of AF til about CD6-8, when I have considered it "safe". WDYT?
Dry is no CF. Sticky can be your BIP and considered safe if you have no dry days. However, it is slightly more risky to use sticky as your BIP.

My dh is gone so much that I forget when he's been home. The 10 months CTA is correct but in those 10 months I only had 7 O cycles.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#10 of 654 Old 05-31-2010, 11:43 PM

Well my current cycle started two days ago. I think my DH might be ok with getting pregnant soon. I am still ambivalent. So I'm not really sure if we'll be avoiding this cycle, or for how many more cycles. But I'm going to continue to hang out here for a while anyway. At this point we are still officially avoiding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
When the sticky goes away at CD 6-8, does it turn into creamy/EW/wetter stuff or do you have longer cycles and you go to dry for a while and then get wetter later? If it's the latter, I would suggest the Doering rule or something like it, it may give you more safe days. If it's the former, then yeah...sorry, you have to consider yourself fertile as soon as you start seeing that sticky stuff. I've seen pregnancies happen from DTD on a sticky day.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#11 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
Well my current cycle started two days ago. I think my DH might be ok with getting pregnant soon.
Good luck! I can't imagine how I would feel about actually TRYING (as in not avoiding) to get pregnant! It has always been an accident and being catholic (before I figured out CTA) it always seemed like I was just gonna keep having kids!

I guess we will see if we actually get to that point! I am going crazy just dealing with my 1 1/2 year old...........ugh, she is going through a hard stage

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#12 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 AM

Hi! This is my first cycle CTA, and my first cycle off NuvaRing. Can you add me to the list? I imagine I'll need lots of interpretative assistance!

Thanks!
#13 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Well my current cycle started two days ago. I think my DH might be ok with getting pregnant soon. I am still ambivalent. So I'm not really sure if we'll be avoiding this cycle, or for how many more cycles. But I'm going to continue to hang out here for a while anyway. At this point we are still officially avoiding...
Good luck! So exciting to possibly ttc!

Quote:
When the sticky goes away at CD 6-8, does it turn into creamy/EW/wetter stuff or do you have longer cycles and you go to dry for a while and then get wetter later? If it's the latter, I would suggest the Doering rule or something like it, it may give you more safe days. If it's the former, then yeah...sorry, you have to consider yourself fertile as soon as you start seeing that sticky stuff. I've seen pregnancies happen from DTD on a sticky day.
Yes, it goes from sticky to watery - very obviously - at around 7-9 DPO, and then morphs into creamy, and that's when I consider myself starting to be fertile. GTK, though. Maybe I need to keep a closer eye just to be sure it's not starting to change over to creamy early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanFlower View Post
Hi! This is my first cycle CTA, and my first cycle off NuvaRing. Can you add me to the list? I imagine I'll need lots of interpretative assistance!

Thanks!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#14 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 08:34 AM

Welcome AlaskanFlower!

Wow, I need to start thinking about picking up a new thermometer. Tick, tick, tick.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#15 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Welcome Alaskanflower

Carrie ~ Are you sure the stuff you see right after is CF and not leukorrhea? If it's leukorrhea, you are safe those days. It seems strange that you'd go from sticky to watery to creamy and then back to watery/ewcf. Or is creamy your most fertile CF? What cd do you usually O?

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...com/leukorrhea

Quote:
leukorrhea
[lo̅o̅′kôrē′ə]
Etymology: Gk, leukos + rhoia, flow
a white discharge from the vagina. Normally, vaginal discharge occurs in regular variations of amount and consistency during the course of the menstrual cycle. A greater than usual amount is normal in pregnancy, and a decrease is to be expected after delivery, during lactation, and after menopause. Leukorrhea is the most common reason for women to seek gynecologic care. Also spelled leucorrhoea. See also vaginal discharge.
http://womenshealth.about.com/od/vag...Leukorrhea.htm

Quote:
Leukorrhea is the medical term for a certain type of vaginal discharge that is common during pregnancy as well as at other times during your reproductive years. If you have leukorrhea, you may have a thick and sticky vaginal discharge that is white, yellow, or green. It can vary with a woman's menstrual cycle as her hormone levels change.
(I finally found links that talk about it in situations other than pg!)

#16 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Morning ladies! I can hardly believe it's June already..

Today is CD38, todays temperature will most likely be discarded. I left all the windows open and forgot to get out the extra blankets. It finally cooled down!

#17 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Ugh, lyterae. Sorry about the long cycle. I know how frustrating that is. Hang in there. It'll have to be over eventually, one way or another.

#18 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ugh, lyterae. Sorry about the long cycle. I know how frustrating that is. Hang in there. It'll have to be over eventually, one way or another.
I have a new found appreciation for those of you with long/irregular cycles. It is terribly frustrating and it's just a waiting game... I wake up every morning excited to temp to see if maybe it's the day

So far I'm still waiting, eventually it has to end. I'm not sure if I should be packing "supplies" in anticipation of break-through bleeidng/anovulatory cycle or if I should just be waiting for ovulation to happen. It would be nice to know which way it will go.

#19 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 PM

Can you add me to the CTA list as well? I am new to charting, not temping until my AF comes. Currently at CD 52. Here is my chart:

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ttc/i...hp?interface=0

Thanks!!!!!!!

working full time waiting for him to propose
#20 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
WooHOo, that could be super fun!

I guess I could have my name removed from the CTA list now since we're not anymore (unless you want to chart stalk until my ). Yay for us to have sucessfully avoided since November! I'll certainly be back again. Even though I have copious amounts of time I guess I'll go ahead and ask since I'm here. With #1 returned at 15 months and with #2 around 12 months postpartum. Would you suggest just keeping an eye on CF and then planning to resume charting when things CF shows quite fertile or just start around 8-9months pp temping?

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#21 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Sammerson ~ That link takes me to my chart. You have to post the link in your homepage setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior
I guess I could have my name removed from the CTA list now since we're not anymore (unless you want to chart stalk until my ). Yay for us to have sucessfully avoided since November! I'll certainly be back again. Even though I have copious amounts of time I guess I'll go ahead and ask since I'm here. With #1 returned at 15 months and with #2 around 12 months postpartum. Would you suggest just keeping an eye on CF and then planning to resume charting when things CF shows quite fertile or just start around 8-9months pp temping?
I love stalking charts! Good luck to you and everyone else moving on to TTC.

I don't start temping until after I've gotten my first PP bleed. Before then I don't even pay attention to my CF. Risky, I know, but I have always had a few anov bleeds before I start Oing. There's also the fact that my dh hasn't been around much during the times my cycles have started to come back so I really haven't had to worry about anything.

#22 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM

Well, smell ya later, wierdest cycle ever.
I am totally lost on this one

9 day LP?! That means since I started charting I've had
4 11 day LPs
1 12 day LP
3 13 day LPs
1 14 day LP
and a 9 day LP?

Is this normal?

*BETH* My FF Chart: 28389c
a no-vax, organic, Catholic mother of DD (5) and DS (2)flowersforyou.gif

#23 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 01:44 PM

yeah, the 14 and the 9 day LP are weird. 11, 12, and 13 are all within the normal range of varying 2 days in one direction. (plus you have had the most of those).

Random - I wonder if being sick had anything to do with it?

#24 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Sammerson ~ That link takes me to my chart. You have to post the link in your homepage setup.
Here is my chart.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2eb6cf

Thank you for clarifying. Again, I am not temping yet, and I dont know what one can tell from CM.

Thanks again for any advice.

working full time waiting for him to propose
#25 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaraAvis View Post

Well, smell ya later, wierdest cycle ever.
I am totally lost on this one

9 day LP?! That means since I started charting I've had
4 11 day LPs
1 12 day LP
3 13 day LPs
1 14 day LP
and a 9 day LP?

Is this normal?
No, that's not normal. Most likely, some of your O days are off. Obviously, this last cycle could've been one of them.

#26 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammerson0814 View Post
Thank you for clarifying. Again, I am not temping yet, and I dont know what one can tell from CM.
You can't definitively confirm O with just CF but you can tell when you are potentially fertile.

#27 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I can take the info off... I haven't changed/updated any of the info there. Let me know what it should say
AF should be here in the next day or so (started with some tinged CF last night), and then I am officially not avoiding!!!!1!! (little excited).

So the Doering rule probably wouldn't help me at this point (!!!!!) but I will keep it in mind for next time. The DH is DEFINITELY done at 2, so there is still conversation about if we'll continue to CTA after #2, or if he will get the Big V. It wouldn't bother me so much if either of us was willing to use condoms for my fertile period, but I get a little frustrated with w/d. I don't know; we'll have to talk about it. First, we should focus on getting preggers, and going from there.

Kristine, Mom to Lucy (12/26/07), and Marion (3/16/11)

#28 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroto42 View Post
AF should be here in the next day or so (started with some tinged CF last night), and then I am officially not avoiding!!!!1!! (little excited).
Congrats, BFS and Kcroto! What fun!

*BETH* My FF Chart: 28389c
a no-vax, organic, Catholic mother of DD (5) and DS (2)flowersforyou.gif

#29 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 04:59 PM

Good luck BFS. I wouldn't even know how to switch from avoid to ok, or at least stop thinking about it.

I have a spotting question, if some one has a copy of TCOYF can look for me? I'm still waiting for O. Misplaced therm yesterday so no temp today. Anyhow about 1.5 wks ago I had 2 days of spotting along with ew. Off and on spotting of ew fluid for the most part until the other day, where I had a lot again. Then today when I checked, I have spotting again with the ewcf. So what's up? And no bd, so those 3 spot days aren't from that. If this current spotting is from O, then what was the spotting last week?
#30 of 654 Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 PM

Hi everyone! It's amazing that it is June already. I am joining the bandwagon of not avoiding anymore after this cycle! So Kcroto, echospiritwarrior, BFS... I'm following you guys, and really excited!! I may hang around here lurking for a little bit, because I am still enjoying the charting advice.

I have been on vacation for a few days so missing some temps. But I was pretty comfortable with having confirmed ovulation right before we left.

Kendra (30),  mum to ds fly-by-nursing1.gif(2/14/11), and one angel1.gif. Pregnant with my rainbow1284.gif due 6/10/13, it's a GIRL!!!
 novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpggoorganic.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page